Juliette has a Gun Mad Madame

4.3

on 5/15/2016 10:03:00 AM

This is so plush and rich and cozy. I'm a huge fan of LUSH Rose Jam and on me this rose wears similarly. Excellent lasting power, gorgeous bottle.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

From Sephora, I got the limited edition sampler that contains all eight fragrances from the niche French perfume house Juliette has a Gun. As an avid lover of all fragrances rose (the range has many if not mostly rose-featured scents) and all fragrances avant garde, I have been dying to try anything from this house, and this is really the only even reasonably affordable way to do it. $15 for 8 generous spray samples of these otherwise very costly scents. I plan to go through them all and write reviews on each one.

Going in random order, I first picked out Mad Madame. It could also be named divinely dangerous. It is a dangerous sensuous sharp but not prickly rose blended with a full-bodied blackberry, not sweet or tart, just rich and decadent. Nothing cloying about this one. Just leathery edgy, but still somehow refined. Like Coco Chanel smoking one of those long cigarette sticks that all the refined but dangerous and innovative ladies would wear. This perfume could be said as to be sexy, but it is definitely a prowess kind of sexy. Sex within control and always dark and in a private but elegant environment. I don't believe in fragrance Seasonal or age rules, but this definitely reads as more grown-up to me. Not older lady exclusive, but you have to be in or at least be willing to put on your own power and strut it. This is not a Modern sexy like Beyonce or a pin-up sexy with playtime like Marilyn monroe. This again brings to mind Coco Chanel for some oddd reason, although this is much less dense and thick than most Chanel fragrance I have smelled and that is a good thing. This is complex and has character without being too strong or headache inducing or just giving off a too crowded feeling. The strength of niche perfumes, I think, overall from my experience. Anyways, this is lovely and can't wait to try more of these unique gems from the sample kit. $15 USD for a limited time at Sephora. I would recommend that to try all the scents, but would also recommend Mad Madame so far on the whole if you can deal with the large price tag, but it is for a huge 3 oz or more, I believe, bottle. So yes, it's another fragrance love for me.

******************** This ties with Lady Vengeance and Midnight Oud as a Number one contender from Juliette has a gun. Cannot decide a favorite among those three. 2nd place is anyway. Third not a perfume. Fourth is Miss Charming Tied for last are the neroli orange blossom fragrances: Gentlewoman and lastly Romantina, which are beautifully done, but not personal preferences as I don't like orange or orange blossom or notes akin to that most of the time at all in my fragrance.

To Read all 6 Reviews, Login or Join

on 10/11/2014 11:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Mad Madame by Juliette Has A Gun is a floral chypre with a prominent rose note, but I definitely would not call this a “pink chypre”. I consider MM to be a very contemporary fragrance, but it clearly draws inspiration from traditional compositions. MM opens with strong white florals, rose oxide, and leathery notes. After about 30 seconds, a fecal note appears and then folds into the warm animalic base as a permanent fixture. The animalic aspect of MM is very suggestive, and perhaps “Busy Lady” is a more appropriate name for this fragrance. There is acidic warmth tying the rose oxide to the leathery base; the salty, tanginess is balanced by the intense perfume-y quality of the white floral and rose. Overall, I’m very impressed and consider MM to be an exemplary excursion into contemporary filth. Although this fragrance is not for me because I’m squeamish when it comes to wearing rose, I highly recommend MM.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I am a bit undecided about this one. It does smell nice, but like all of the Juliette's it did not last long on my skin. Mad Madame was the third longest lasting out of the discovery kit I purchased. Someone one once asked me what perfume smelled like sex...I think I finally found it. It has to be this one. Something dark, dirty, feminine & will keep pulling you in to sniff some more. Slightly musky smelling with a hint of floral and a soft powder smell. Makes me slightly undecided about whether or not I like it. I may buy it in the future but for now I have purchased another from the brand,

This is a bold perfume. It's kind of in your face and makes a big statement. I was in love at first sniff. I'm a huge fan of chypre's and woody scents. You can smell the rose but it has this sensual animalistic quality. I just feel extremely feminine while wearing it.

on 12/17/2012 2:05:00 PM

Most of the Juliette Has a Gun perfumes have been duds on me, but I absolutely love Mad Madame, Lady Vengeance, and Midnight Oud.

Mad Madame is what I was hoping Vengeance Extreme would smell like - a dark, sharp, dangerous, wild sort of rose musk. It's mostly red rose and dark & animalic musk, with hints of tuberose and slightly powdery amber (smells like the ambroxan of Not a Perfume, which I normally hate, but it's subtle here). I get a hint of earthy patchouli from it sometimes, but I can't always pick out that note.

Mad Madame is perfumey, intense and womanly, lasting all day on me with pretty good throw. It has sour, sharp qualities to it, but somehow they smell intriguing and mysterious rather than cheap or off. It is mostly a musk and rose scent, that smells warm, sultry, dark red and very femme fatale. I always feel sexy and confident whenever I wear this scent.

My husband likes this on me and says that "it smells like a woman; it smells more like perfume than most of your other perfumes." It does have a womanly, grownup, heavy perfume feel to it. Definitely perfume rather than something natural or candied, if that makes sense.

I love it, and I love the way I feel about myself when I wear Mad Madame :)

Popular Fragrances