Paul Mitchell Curls Ultimate Wave Beachy Texture Cream Gel

Paul Mitchell Curls Ultimate Wave Beachy Texture Cream Gel
Curls Ultimate Wave Beachy Texture Cream Gel

2.3

Not tested on animals

Aqua (Water, Eau), Alcohol, Polyurethane-14, Aminomethyl Propanol, Polyacrylic Acid, Wheat Amino Acids, AMP-Acrylates Copolymer, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Trametes Versicolor Extract, PVP, DMDM Hydantoin, Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Parfum (Fragrance), Limonene, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Hydroxycitronellal, Geraniol, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone

on 8/7/2016 4:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

My hair came back curly after chemotherapy. I haven't been styling curls on myself since the perm days back in the 80s, so I've been out of the loop on the current products. I discovered this gel-cream in a beauty supply and was eager to try it, mainly because I've had good luck with other PM products in the past, and the smell was not offensive.

I must say, I find this product to be so-so in terms of usefulness. I think it is better at being a low hold gel rather than a gel cream. It dries a bit harder than what I expected, and does separate locks if enough is applied. After it dries, it doesn't have a perpetual "wet" look as gels normally do. It is more dull, which makes hair seem dirty rather than styled. I suppose that might be part of the "beachy" aspect, since sand, salt and wind don't do much for the appearance of healthy, shiny, bouncy hair.

I don't always succeed at getting this product to enhance my curls. It is somewhat sticky and thick, so it is tough to get it where I want it before it starts drying on my hands. When applied to very wet hair, it doesn't do much except act as a hair gel. When applied to partially dry / damp hair, it seems to do better. Generally, I scrunch it in and finger style. Later, I scrunch the dried locks to make them look more natural, but then I lose some of the lift and separation. Overall, it is decent at taming frizz, but nothing spectacular. I probably won't repurchase.

on 1/23/2013 5:21:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I didn't care for this product much. It smelled great, but that was about the only thing I really liked. The packaging was fine.

The product was very tacky and my hair just looked dirty when I was finished. I have pretty coarse, thick hair with strong waves/loose curls, and with this product they looked stringy and limp, while also looking poofy and frizzy. Maybe I touched it too much. Either way, not a great look for me. I'm not sure I'd recommend this for anyone.

on 12/16/2012 11:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This is probably not intended for my coarse, 3b/a, low-porosity curls. Usually any product that promises "beachy" hair means "bristely" hair for me, and this gel follows suit. It dries out my hair like crazy, plus it feels gluey and sticky.. When this is applied in my wet hair, my hair starts frizzing before it gets the chance to curl.

Popular Styling Products