Thierry Mugler Alien Essence Absolue

Alien Essence Absolue

4.2

on 7/24/2017 1:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Another sweet fragrance... Very Sweet Candy bubblegum cordial lollipop Tabu fragrance ... Some of the things it reminds me of

on 10/16/2016 5:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Skin chemistry is a funny thing. It's interesting to see how many people are describing this as being "softer" and demure... maybe, compared to the original Alien, but in my opinion Alien Essence Absolue is a total kickass scent with an attitude.

I'VE FINALLY FOUND THE SCENT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR ALL THESE YEARS. I used to be obsessed with LUSH's American Cream conditioner scent. Years ago, they came out with a bunch of fragrance solids and one of them smelled just like the American Cream conditioner. American Cream smells like a deep vanilla with herbaceous "cool" spices (apparently the mix is lavender and clary sage, among other things). When they discontinued the perfume solid, I was very sad, but there are a lot of Etsy dupes out there to satisfy my needs. Still, it never felt the same. Ever since I began my fragrance journey, there were two LUSH fragrances that I wished I could meet again in other fragrances: American Cream and Honey I Washed The Kids. However, Alien Essence Absolue is even better than American Cream by far.

Now, the regular Alien and I got along, but it wasn't necessarily 'me'. I usually have a beef with jasmine/gardenia-dominated scents in which they become a bit too fleshy or indolic to my nose, sort of like baby poopy butt (sorry!), but on me Alien was a bit too squeaky clean. I guess I'm not a huge fan of floral-dominated scents in the first place, but I digress. There's a bit of Alien DNA in Alien Essence Absolue, but it plays a supportive role instead. Vanilla is the star of Alien Essence Absolue, but this is a very adult, boozy vanilla that is more fragrant than edible. It opens up with bright amber, clean jasmine and smoky incense. At first, there is a definite "root beer" vibe--similar to Hypnotic Poison's, but HP is more akin to root beer float with vanilla ice cream on top, closer to vanilla marzipan pie. Alien Essence Absolue's root beer seems to be more "old-fashioned" in a sense, like it was made in a traditional artisanal way, as if it was stored in oak barrels like wine for months to give it some deepness and depth. The result you get is a spicy, boozy root beer with balsamic, floral nuances. The incense notes are very prominent on my skin in the first stages and the amber of Alien gives it a sort of golden, honeyed glazed finish to the nose. As the fragrance settles into the base, it becomes more refined as the edges get softened by a cozy vanilla, but Alien is NEVER gourmand. It stays decadently golden and a bit soapy, but she has a definite attitude and a bite.

Even as a wearer of the OG of Mugler fragrances Angel, Alien Essence Absolue sometimes makes me feel a bit too meek to wear this at times. I see a powerful woman of high status wearing this, who is older than me... I am only a 20 year old college student, and I feel like this frag really kicks my ass to the curb with her dominance. By no means am I saying that it takes an older woman to wear this, but I think it takes a woman who's got her priorities straight and won't take shit from anyone to wear this. If Angel is the ultimate femme fatale dressed in dreamy blues like in the ads, then Alien Essence Absolue is the ultimate temptress, a succubus in the slickest YSL pantsuit and iconic 7-inch stiletto heels (though in retrospect after writing this, I basically just perfectly described Thierry Mugler's fashion at his peak in the '90s!). If anyone remembers the now discontinued YSL Elle perfume with the model Coco Rocha as the face of it, THIS is what it should have smelt like based on the advertisement and concept.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Sadly this one didn't work for me and I have already tossed it. Here are my thoughts. First of all, whatever you do, DO NOT spray this on your neck while wearing a white shirt. It will leave a rust-colored stain that will never come out no matter what stain-removal method you try. Big sad face. About the scent itself: I learned about this fragrance while on my quest for “If you love Black Opium, then you’ll also love ______”. I can see why this was recommended - it is yummy, especially at first with these gorgeous warm amber topnotes but after that it goes downhill for me. That's because lurking beneath that amazing beginning that sucks you right in, is a base of pure Vicks Vapo Rub. I guess it's technically balsamic (maybe?) but it leaves a medicinal impression, almost minty and the very opposite of the warm sexy muskiness of the topnotes. From all the reviews I've read, I am in the minority but this one just doesn't gel with my chemistry.

on 9/23/2014 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

This is my guilty pleasure perfume. I like the smoky vanilla and wear it just for me. Sometimes, I get a Hypnotic Poison vibe and like this, too. What keeps this from being a 5 is the medicinal smell I get in the beginning. Overall, this is a wonderful scent and I am glad I splurged to buy it.

on 4/30/2014 6:10:00 PM

Chalk me up with the rest of the enthusiasts of this lovely scent. I like Alien, so I love this sweeter version of it. This is my kind of scent. Not for everybody, and that is its best recommendation, IMO. I won't describe it since others have already done that very well. On me, this is definitely honey (which I love to wear as much as I like to eat). It reminds me a bit of Serge Luten's Miel de Bois, but this one is more complex, a bit greener. In short, a beautiful, elegant, grown-up scent. And BTW, for those who can't tell the difference, grown-up is NOT the same as 'old.'

This is one of my top favorites perfumes ever! I absolutely love it.
To me it smells like a creamy, sophisticated, delicious, sweet ice cream.
Is my favorite Alien for sure. I will definitely buy it again.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Oh my god, if you love vanilla based fragrances, one whiff of this and you will become OBSESSED with it, It's intoxicating. I was sprayed by one of those perfume chuggers in Selfridges and I had to go back the next day and buy it. My only gripe after going through a couple of bottles is that the perfume oils seem to erode and clog the nozzle over time, and it stops working properly but you can get replacement nozzles and bottle tops in store for free.

This is my favourite perfume of all time - nothing comes close, except perhaps Lancome Hypnose but that is a very light and safe version and nowhere near as chocolatey and heady.

on 12/20/2013 3:32:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Alien Essence Absolue is a divine fragrance with a sexy vibe. It is not as in your face as Alien in the purple bottle but it is not a fragrance that can easily go unnoticed. I get Amber, Vanilla, Oud and Sultry Spice. The longevity is decent and the sillage is on point. Long after everyone else smells this on me I can smell myself wrapped in this fragrance almost like it is my sexy dirty little secret.
The bottle is perfection.
For reference I own, wear and adore Alien, Alien Taste of Fragrance, Angel and Womanity.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I seem to be in the minority here, but I strongly dislike this fragrance. It smelled promising from the bottle, but on my skin it was a different story. Perhaps it is because I gravitate towards gourmand scents, I don't like amber, or it just doesn't work with my body chemistry. Luckily, I only tried this on at Macy's and I didn't purchase it. I remember being in a mad rush to get home and wash it off my arm. I prefer the original Alien by miles. I will not purchase.

on 5/6/2013 2:48:00 PM

This beauty has a sweetness/prettiness that the original Alien doesn't have Imo. Overall a more juicy softer hence less dry creation. Rich luscious albeit mysterious fragrance which I absolutely love (pardon the pun)!

Popular Fragrances