Thierry Mugler Alien Essence Absolue

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Thierry Mugler  Alien Essence Absolue
Alien Essence Absolue

This is a heavenly incense/amber/myrrh bomb and is so delicious I had to just go and buy a backup. The jasmine is not as pronounced in this one as in other versions of Alien---so it has less of a grape soda feel and more of a rich syrupy grown up candied dessert feel. Yet, not really gourmand. But...on the verge. The vanilla and cashmere wood give it a cozy warm ambiance, and this EDP is STRONG. A little goes a long way and you don't want to overspray. That being said, it's one of the few that I let myself sometimes spray with abandon because it doesn't give me a headache, regardless of the heavier notes. Just a lighter hand in the warmer months. I even love the bottle---but my only regret is that I have never actually come across anything larger than the 30ml. Regardless, it's a winner.

on 10/16/2016 5:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Skin chemistry is a funny thing. It's interesting to see how many people are describing this as being "softer" and demure... maybe, compared to the original Alien, but in my opinion Alien Essence Absolue is a total kickass scent with an attitude.

I'VE FINALLY FOUND THE SCENT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR ALL THESE YEARS. I used to be obsessed with LUSH's American Cream conditioner scent. Years ago, they came out with a bunch of fragrance solids and one of them smelled just like the American Cream conditioner. American Cream smells like a deep vanilla with herbaceous "cool" spices (apparently the mix is lavender and clary sage, among other things). When they discontinued the perfume solid, I was very sad, but there are a lot of Etsy dupes out there to satisfy my needs. Still, it never felt the same. Ever since I began my fragrance journey, there were two LUSH fragrances that I wished I could meet again in other fragrances: American Cream and Honey I Washed The Kids. However, Alien Essence Absolue is even better than American Cream by far.

Now, the regular Alien and I got along, but it wasn't necessarily 'me'. I usually have a beef with jasmine/gardenia-dominated scents in which they become a bit too fleshy or indolic to my nose, sort of like baby poopy butt (sorry!), but on me Alien was a bit too squeaky clean. I guess I'm not a huge fan of floral-dominated scents in the first place, but I digress. There's a bit of Alien DNA in Alien Essence Absolue, but it plays a supportive role instead. Vanilla is the star of Alien Essence Absolue, but this is a very adult, boozy vanilla that is more fragrant than edible. It opens up with bright amber, clean jasmine and smoky incense. At first, there is a definite "root beer" vibe--similar to Hypnotic Poison's, but HP is more akin to root beer float with vanilla ice cream on top, closer to vanilla marzipan pie. Alien Essence Absolue's root beer seems to be more "old-fashioned" in a sense, like it was made in a traditional artisanal way, as if it was stored in oak barrels like wine for months to give it some deepness and depth. The result you get is a spicy, boozy root beer with balsamic, floral nuances. The incense notes are very prominent on my skin in the first stages and the amber of Alien gives it a sort of golden, honeyed glazed finish to the nose. As the fragrance settles into the base, it becomes more refined as the edges get softened by a cozy vanilla, but Alien is NEVER gourmand. It stays decadently golden and a bit soapy, but she has a definite attitude and a bite.

Even as a wearer of the OG of Mugler fragrances Angel, Alien Essence Absolue sometimes makes me feel a bit too meek to wear this at times. I see a powerful woman of high status wearing this, who is older than me... I am only a 20 year old college student, and I feel like this frag really kicks my ass to the curb with her dominance. By no means am I saying that it takes an older woman to wear this, but I think it takes a woman who's got her priorities straight and won't take shit from anyone to wear this. If Angel is the ultimate femme fatale dressed in dreamy blues like in the ads, then Alien Essence Absolue is the ultimate temptress, a succubus in the slickest YSL pantsuit and iconic 7-inch stiletto heels (though in retrospect after writing this, I basically just perfectly described Thierry Mugler's fashion at his peak in the '90s!). If anyone remembers the now discontinued YSL Elle perfume with the model Coco Rocha as the face of it, THIS is what it should have smelt like based on the advertisement and concept.

Popular Fragrances