Thierry Mugler Alien Essence Absolue

Alien Essence Absolue

4.4

on 7/24/2017 1:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Another sweet fragrance... Very Sweet Candy bubblegum cordial lollipop Tabu fragrance ... Some of the things it reminds me of

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Sadly this one didn't work for me and I have already tossed it. Here are my thoughts. First of all, whatever you do, DO NOT spray this on your neck while wearing a white shirt. It will leave a rust-colored stain that will never come out no matter what stain-removal method you try. Big sad face. About the scent itself: I learned about this fragrance while on my quest for “If you love Black Opium, then you’ll also love ______”. I can see why this was recommended - it is yummy, especially at first with these gorgeous warm amber topnotes but after that it goes downhill for me. That's because lurking beneath that amazing beginning that sucks you right in, is a base of pure Vicks Vapo Rub. I guess it's technically balsamic (maybe?) but it leaves a medicinal impression, almost minty and the very opposite of the warm sexy muskiness of the topnotes. From all the reviews I've read, I am in the minority but this one just doesn't gel with my chemistry.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A little too heavy & strong. This is coming from some who wears angel, youth dew & No. 5 on a reg basis. I sent this back to get another bottle of reg Alien. This wasn’t sweet enough it was kind of bitter maybe I had an old bottle I got mine on eBay. In retrospect i kind of wish I’d kept it but it was $20 that’d be laying around never used. I paid $30 for alien I think it’s money better spent! I love Alien just not this as much. I get a lavendar vibe off it I hate lavendar I find it bitter & sour. TM is a scent genius. But he’s not Jacque polger!

on 9/23/2014 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

This is my guilty pleasure perfume. I like the smoky vanilla and wear it just for me. Sometimes, I get a Hypnotic Poison vibe and like this, too. What keeps this from being a 5 is the medicinal smell I get in the beginning. Overall, this is a wonderful scent and I am glad I splurged to buy it.

on 3/21/2014 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

omg. I love this fragrance. beautiful. not as strong as alien. I layer it with vanilla oil to make it sweeter. my new favorite. Will buy over and over.

on 12/19/2013 8:37:00 PM

Smooth rich root beer... No trace of Play-Doh. This does not smell as purple to me as much as the other Aliens I have tried. I find this much more wearable than Hypnotic Poison.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

This is one of the most beautiful bottles I've ever seen. If you need convincing, wrap your hands around its voluptuous rear end. It's heavy and petal-leasing, like ripe glass forbidden fruit.
Scent-wise, the main note I get in this is the same tobacco that's in Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. There are two scents I have found this note in, other than the sugar daddy himself, the other being Viktor & Rolf's Spicebomb. The backdrop of this glorious main star is the purple, pulpy powderiness of Dior's Poison. It shouldn't work, but everything melds together very well.
This is not a wallflower scent. It's a big, buxom BOOM scent. The trail you leave is a fruity, woody, cigaretty jasmine. Impressive.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I seem to be in the minority here, but I strongly dislike this fragrance. It smelled promising from the bottle, but on my skin it was a different story. Perhaps it is because I gravitate towards gourmand scents, I don't like amber, or it just doesn't work with my body chemistry. Luckily, I only tried this on at Macy's and I didn't purchase it. I remember being in a mad rush to get home and wash it off my arm. I prefer the original Alien by miles. I will not purchase.

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

First blast is Alien, though not as cold, plus either oud or benzoin. (It doesn't list oud, but I get some. Since I hate this note on me, I'm happy it doesn't last long.) This Alien-Oud stage is only a couple of minutes, on me.

Stage 2: the grape lightens and the oud-like bit is gone. Then it's like Alien, minus the coldness, plus some of the odd (but lovely) notes and feel of Poeme. It's not strong anymore, on me, but somewhere in the middle. This stage depends on the temperature outside and my mood, but it's not super long ~ 15-30 minutes, tops. (To be fair, let me say that my skin eats perfume. Your mileage may vary.)

Stage 3 (the most beautiful, the longest, and ~ sadly ~ the quietest: it's almost like a (soft) floral version of the original Hypnotic Poison. I'm talking super duper soft. Maybe a hair more vanilla. I get a little smoke (what I assume is the incense). I wish I got lots of incense. It might just me be, again.

It stays this way ~ a soft, ever so slightly powdery, slightly smoky, floral HP ~ for a few hours. It wears SUPER close to my skin/has almost no sillage on me. Oddly enough, I never got and never get a root beer note in HP (I have the original gangster), but I do get it here, for a minute.

This would be HG material for me (and may still be ~ I am going back and forth) if A. it didn't come off as oud on me, even for a minute, and B. it were stronger and had more incense. Because, for real, this drydown is .To.Die.For.

Alien (original edp) is not a "safe" scent by any stretch of the imagination, to me. It's electric purple, and cold as ice. It never warms up on me, though the fizzy jasmine trail it leaves is Super Sexy.

This is much safer. It's "prettier" (conventionally, I guess I mean...?), but not as interesting as the original.

I'll probably still wear this one more, as I only loved Alien's trail...

Adding: I agree with the melting chocolate the other reviewer mentioned! YESSS!!! This is in Stage 3. :~)

This perfume smells so divine and I really love it. I purchased this before I got Alien because I love vanilla and this mixed with the Jasmine plus the incense, orris root, myrrh, and white Amber creates such a lovely scent. I like to wear this at night during the colder months. I think this smells so good in cold weather. I also like to wear this at night or to special occasions. I love Mugler fragrances because they are so strong, unique, and, they last on me for hours with a very heavy sillage. A little really goes a long way with this as well. I would buy the refill of this any day, but I still have so much since you only need a few tiny sprays. Seriously one great scent. Love!

Side note: Also I've layered this with Alien and find the two together to be so lovely. :)

Popular Fragrances