Thierry Mugler Alien Essence Absolue

Alien Essence Absolue

4.4

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is my absolute all-time favorite fragrance. I fell completely in love with it upon first sniff and haven't looked back.

Thierry Mugler fragrances are a bit on the expensive side but they last and last on the skin. Whenever I wear this, I put it on around 6am and it will last all the way through the day. If you wear something close to the skin (like a scarf), you will be able to smell this on it when wearing it again, even days later. I think this is a good thing. When you're spending so much on a fragrance, you want it to be worth the cost.

The smell of this is almost indescribably delicious. It reminds me of melting chocolate, of rich warm amber and just a touch of jasmine. This scent is like being wrapped in a warm, soft, luxurious blanket on a cold day. There's just something so comforting about it that I can't quite place my finger on. Sniff after sniff, the gorgeous, rich scent doesn't become cloying. It's not overly sweet, it's just deep and sexy and so inviting.

on 12/14/2012 5:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Gorgeous Alien (rounded jasmine) with Hypnotic Poison
but smells divine on the skin unlike either.
Massive sillage and longevity!!

If you love Poeme then you need to try this - Alien Essence Absolue is what i wanted Poeme to be both as a scent and on my skin.

By the way i am unable to tolerate and cannot stand the original Alien and am not a fan of jasmine but Alien Essence Absolue an exception!

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

First blast is Alien, though not as cold, plus either oud or benzoin. (It doesn't list oud, but I get some. Since I hate this note on me, I'm happy it doesn't last long.) This Alien-Oud stage is only a couple of minutes, on me.

Stage 2: the grape lightens and the oud-like bit is gone. Then it's like Alien, minus the coldness, plus some of the odd (but lovely) notes and feel of Poeme. It's not strong anymore, on me, but somewhere in the middle. This stage depends on the temperature outside and my mood, but it's not super long ~ 15-30 minutes, tops. (To be fair, let me say that my skin eats perfume. Your mileage may vary.)

Stage 3 (the most beautiful, the longest, and ~ sadly ~ the quietest: it's almost like a (soft) floral version of the original Hypnotic Poison. I'm talking super duper soft. Maybe a hair more vanilla. I get a little smoke (what I assume is the incense). I wish I got lots of incense. It might just me be, again.

It stays this way ~ a soft, ever so slightly powdery, slightly smoky, floral HP ~ for a few hours. It wears SUPER close to my skin/has almost no sillage on me. Oddly enough, I never got and never get a root beer note in HP (I have the original gangster), but I do get it here, for a minute.

This would be HG material for me (and may still be ~ I am going back and forth) if A. it didn't come off as oud on me, even for a minute, and B. it were stronger and had more incense. Because, for real, this drydown is .To.Die.For.

Alien (original edp) is not a "safe" scent by any stretch of the imagination, to me. It's electric purple, and cold as ice. It never warms up on me, though the fizzy jasmine trail it leaves is Super Sexy.

This is much safer. It's "prettier" (conventionally, I guess I mean...?), but not as interesting as the original.

I'll probably still wear this one more, as I only loved Alien's trail...

Adding: I agree with the melting chocolate the other reviewer mentioned! YESSS!!! This is in Stage 3. :~)

A lot of people that absolutely hate at the original Alien LOVE this flanker . I personally love the original. But it is more 'in your face' than this one . Alien is the gorgeous & confident social butterfly older sister , and Essence Absolue is the shy , yet sweet and beautiful little sister. It smells so much like the original Alien when it's first sprayed , but it dries down so amazingly into a lovely vanilla suede cashmerean , softer scent . The solar accord element that is utilized in the Alien line of fragrances is very apparent . I had no idea what the hell solar accord was until I researched it . It seems to be the same ingredient that's used in sunscreens . But imagine the best smelling sunscreen ever .. I think the solar accord is used because it evokes some of your best memories . Whenever your mom or dad put sunscreen on you as a child , you were going to do something fun ... Most likely . The sunshine increases Vitamin D and subsequently , dopamine , in the brain . The feel good hormone. The hormone of wellbeing . And still as an adult , we put on sunscreen usually when we are going out to the beach or the lake .. Or just gardening . It's a brilliant concept . The solar scent is stronger in the original Alien rather than this scent . I sprayed this an hour ago... And it's still drying down and changing . Imagine Alien wrapped up in a 100% cashmere blanket . It really is gorgeous !!! It's strong .. But not overpowering . Some perfumes I can spray all over myself , like 7 sprays and it's still not too strong ... But two sprays of this will last all day long . I would compare it to the strength of a Chanel Coco perfume . But honestly , if you don't like Alien at ALL ... I just don't see how you'd like this one . But if you love Alien or just like Alien ... Go buy this !!!!!!!

on 5/6/2013 2:48:00 PM

This beauty has a sweetness/prettiness that the original Alien doesn't have Imo. Overall a more juicy softer hence less dry creation. Rich luscious albeit mysterious fragrance which I absolutely love (pardon the pun)!

on 4/30/2014 6:10:00 PM

Chalk me up with the rest of the enthusiasts of this lovely scent. I like Alien, so I love this sweeter version of it. This is my kind of scent. Not for everybody, and that is its best recommendation, IMO. I won't describe it since others have already done that very well. On me, this is definitely honey (which I love to wear as much as I like to eat). It reminds me a bit of Serge Luten's Miel de Bois, but this one is more complex, a bit greener. In short, a beautiful, elegant, grown-up scent. And BTW, for those who can't tell the difference, grown-up is NOT the same as 'old.'

on 12/20/2013 3:32:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Alien Essence Absolue is a divine fragrance with a sexy vibe. It is not as in your face as Alien in the purple bottle but it is not a fragrance that can easily go unnoticed. I get Amber, Vanilla, Oud and Sultry Spice. The longevity is decent and the sillage is on point. Long after everyone else smells this on me I can smell myself wrapped in this fragrance almost like it is my sexy dirty little secret.
The bottle is perfection.
For reference I own, wear and adore Alien, Alien Taste of Fragrance, Angel and Womanity.

on 10/16/2016 5:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Skin chemistry is a funny thing. It's interesting to see how many people are describing this as being "softer" and demure... maybe, compared to the original Alien, but in my opinion Alien Essence Absolue is a total kickass scent with an attitude.

I'VE FINALLY FOUND THE SCENT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR ALL THESE YEARS. I used to be obsessed with LUSH's American Cream conditioner scent. Years ago, they came out with a bunch of fragrance solids and one of them smelled just like the American Cream conditioner. American Cream smells like a deep vanilla with herbaceous "cool" spices (apparently the mix is lavender and clary sage, among other things). When they discontinued the perfume solid, I was very sad, but there are a lot of Etsy dupes out there to satisfy my needs. Still, it never felt the same. Ever since I began my fragrance journey, there were two LUSH fragrances that I wished I could meet again in other fragrances: American Cream and Honey I Washed The Kids. However, Alien Essence Absolue is even better than American Cream by far.

Now, the regular Alien and I got along, but it wasn't necessarily 'me'. I usually have a beef with jasmine/gardenia-dominated scents in which they become a bit too fleshy or indolic to my nose, sort of like baby poopy butt (sorry!), but on me Alien was a bit too squeaky clean. I guess I'm not a huge fan of floral-dominated scents in the first place, but I digress. There's a bit of Alien DNA in Alien Essence Absolue, but it plays a supportive role instead. Vanilla is the star of Alien Essence Absolue, but this is a very adult, boozy vanilla that is more fragrant than edible. It opens up with bright amber, clean jasmine and smoky incense. At first, there is a definite "root beer" vibe--similar to Hypnotic Poison's, but HP is more akin to root beer float with vanilla ice cream on top, closer to vanilla marzipan pie. Alien Essence Absolue's root beer seems to be more "old-fashioned" in a sense, like it was made in a traditional artisanal way, as if it was stored in oak barrels like wine for months to give it some deepness and depth. The result you get is a spicy, boozy root beer with balsamic, floral nuances. The incense notes are very prominent on my skin in the first stages and the amber of Alien gives it a sort of golden, honeyed glazed finish to the nose. As the fragrance settles into the base, it becomes more refined as the edges get softened by a cozy vanilla, but Alien is NEVER gourmand. It stays decadently golden and a bit soapy, but she has a definite attitude and a bite.

Even as a wearer of the OG of Mugler fragrances Angel, Alien Essence Absolue sometimes makes me feel a bit too meek to wear this at times. I see a powerful woman of high status wearing this, who is older than me... I am only a 20 year old college student, and I feel like this frag really kicks my ass to the curb with her dominance. By no means am I saying that it takes an older woman to wear this, but I think it takes a woman who's got her priorities straight and won't take shit from anyone to wear this. If Angel is the ultimate femme fatale dressed in dreamy blues like in the ads, then Alien Essence Absolue is the ultimate temptress, a succubus in the slickest YSL pantsuit and iconic 7-inch stiletto heels (though in retrospect after writing this, I basically just perfectly described Thierry Mugler's fashion at his peak in the '90s!). If anyone remembers the now discontinued YSL Elle perfume with the model Coco Rocha as the face of it, THIS is what it should have smelt like based on the advertisement and concept.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

This is one of the most beautiful bottles I've ever seen. If you need convincing, wrap your hands around its voluptuous rear end. It's heavy and petal-leasing, like ripe glass forbidden fruit.
Scent-wise, the main note I get in this is the same tobacco that's in Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. There are two scents I have found this note in, other than the sugar daddy himself, the other being Viktor & Rolf's Spicebomb. The backdrop of this glorious main star is the purple, pulpy powderiness of Dior's Poison. It shouldn't work, but everything melds together very well.
This is not a wallflower scent. It's a big, buxom BOOM scent. The trail you leave is a fruity, woody, cigaretty jasmine. Impressive.

I REALLY didn't need another perfume. My collection stands at over 30 which I'm aware is ridiculous! But seeing my original Alien ran out, I decided I would see how this one compared. Upon trying at a department store I was in LOVE. Alien could be a little unwearable at times even though I adored it, this is its more wearable sister. First spray is Alien but slightly warmer, very shortly after though a beautiful vanilla note starts to appear and it is so delicious! Bottle suits it perfectly, its warm vanilla sunny goodness but still retains some uniqueness, paying homage to the original. Only thing is I wish it had more sillage and a bit better lasting power (on my skin anyway), but its just gorgeous - a must try!

Popular Fragrances