Maybelline Color Tattoo - Barely Branded

4.1

Bought this with the intention of using it as a base color OR by itself on days when I need just an extra pop to my eyes... with that said, I did not like this product. But let me say - the color is gorgeous and I personally feel like it has the right amount of gold coloring to it. It fails in application. It applies very, very patchy and rough (even if I apply a primer beforehand). Right out of the pot it already had a very dry texture to it and I had a hard time smoothing it out on my lids. I also tried layering some eyeshadow over this but they just didn't blend well at all - no matter which eyeshadow brand I used. I feel like the e.l.f. Smudge Pots definitely apply much more smoothly and has a comparable lasting power for a lower price point. The 24hr Color Tattoo in Barely Branded just did not work out for me, sadly, and will be returning it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I love this product. Rarely do I like something enough to use it everyday and repurchase it multiple times, but this product definitely is my holy grail. It is critical to my everyday eye look, I use this as my base, brown shadow in my crease, black gel liner for a simple cat eye and a highlighter shade under my brow. This shade pulls it all together as it is a creamy, light champagne with a touch of shimmer that offsets all the other colors allowing them to "pop". I do not find it hard to apply with my Ecotools Highlighting eye brush, the short relatively firm bristles pick up the product nicely and if applied with a downward motion (brow bone to eyelashes) it goes on smooth. I also apply it with my finger if I care less about being precise that day and want a more sheer application as fingers don't allow you to apply as much without it looking patchy. I always use primer, and I don't notice it creasing at all. My only warning would be that it dries relatively quickly, so if you want to blend it you need to do so shortly after application because once it dries it is pretty budge proof in my experience!

To Read all 122 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

70 barely branded is a light champage with a metallic/frosty finish.

I like this product, it works great as an eyeshadow base and I also like to layer it over other color tattoos (tough as taupe, inked in pink) to lighten up the eye and produce an easy smokey eye look.

Its a pale cream colour, and applies patchily which is why I won't be repurchasing it.

You don't use a lot of this product on your eyes so that little pot lasts a looooonnnng time. I've had mine for nearly two years now and I still haven't used it all up, the formula is good to go and it doesn't cause problems. I've been using it nearly every day for the last six months in an attempt to use it all up and I've still got a lot of product left. I've found that the more you use these color tattoos the more they stay soft and easy to use, so keep stirring and using them.

I have been using this as a base as well, put it over the eyelid to lighten up the eye, then use some powder eyeshadows to give the overall look some depth (neutrals as transitions, on outer eye), but I'm sure it will go well with bright colours as well. For someone looking for a cheap and cheerful low maintenance white cream eyeshadow, this does the job nicely.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This cream shadow didn't work for me. After 4 hours you couldn't see anything on my lids. The color is gone. This is one of those products where its better to buy the more expensive cream shadow. Even for under a shadow it didn't last.

Pros:
1. Wonderful packaging. Similar to MAC's paint pots.
2. Affordable price
3. Great pigmentation (shimmery champagne)
4. Serves as a good eye shadow base and brow highlighter
5. A little goes a long way

Cons:
1. Too much product can make it cakey and hard to blend out
2. This is best applied with a finger. Brushes can't blend out a cream product as dense as this one.
3. After about 5-6 hours, the product tends to clump along the crease (a primer can probably help with this situation depending on how oily your lids can be)
4. Like any other cream product, this one can dry up on the pan after several months from opening.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I initially purchased this shade because I heard that it was a dupe for Benefit's Watt's Up highlighter. I tried it on my cheekbones and it oxidized into a gold color that doesn't suit my NC15-20 skintone. I've never used cream shadows in the past, but this one is quite nice when I tried it as an eye shadow. It's not very noticeable, but it adds a nice 'hint of shimmer' that can be worn alone or with liner and mascara. I have found that it does crease after some time and it gets a little chunky if you over apply. It works best when applied in a light, sheer layer.

overall, i think this product is ok.

first of all, i feel like this is a bit of a dupe of MAC's paint pots, but doesn't apply anywhere near as evenly and needs to be built up in order to get a really vibrant colour. it also doesn't last as long, but still has ok staying power. however, it's less than half the price of a paint pot so it's pretty good for what you pay!

i'm fairly fair skinned (MAC N1) and i got this shade under the impression that it was a nice nude shimmery colour, but it's veeeery gold on pale skin. overall though, it's a pretty colour that applies ok, can be very vibrant, and lasts for a while. i'm just not sure if it's worth the hype!

pros:
- pretty colour (but appears super gold on pale skin)
- lasts a while (but definitely not to 'tattoo' lengths)
- good value for money

cons:
- doesn't apply very evenly
- weak colour unless you build it up

I really, really like this product. While making a great base for eye shadows, I've worn it straight up by itself over a plain primer and it not only lasted all day, it looked just as good at the start of the day as at the finish. Very buildable too. My only tiny little beef with it is that it's a bit difficult to apply. Fingers work best with it, but if you want to be precise it's sort of challenging. The pros far out weigh that tiny con though, it's lovely. I need more shades.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is a nice everyday light champagne gold neutral. It has a nice creamy texture and its smooth in application. It's not that metallic its more of a beautiful sheen. I like using my fingers to apply it. It has a sheer application but I put 2 layers on to build it up. It's a perfect base for a neutral eye or if you want a gold or champagne powder eye shadow to pop more. Its very long lasting for my oily eyelids. It lasts 10-12 hours depending on what eye shadows I use on before it creases. After 10 hours I don't see any fading. It can also be worn alone. When I'm out of this I will rebuy it. If your a fan of champagne eye shadows and bases I would highly recommend this.