Deborah Lippmann Mermaid's Dream

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
Deborah Lippmann Mermaid's Dream

on 11/10/2014 9:29:00 PM

Frosty/metallic seafoam green speckled with dark green microglitter. Very pretty and extremely original. Nothing else looks like it.

Great formula too. Opaque in two coats, no problems with application or wear.

One of my favorite DL's. I'd definitely buy this again.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This gave me "lobster hands" aka redness in my skin was enhanced

This shade is SO gorgeous in the bottle. Unfortuneatly, it clashed with my skintone and looked garish and awful. An unflattering shade of blue on my warm NC40 skin tone. Maybe this would work better on cool skintones?

formula-- 1 coat is enough for an opaque finish
Glitter-- not too chunky

Just didn't work for me :(

on 1/15/2013 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

I got Deborah Lippman's "Across the Universe" as a gift and promptly exchanged it for "Mermaid's Dream." (I hadn't liked the look of the glitter components- too big/bold for my taste). The small boutique didn't have very many DL choices, so I went with Mermaid's Dream- about the most non-traditional polish I own. (Um, Mermaid's Dream is the 5th bottle in my "collection", so now you know where I'm coming from.)

I applied 2 coats (no base coat or top coat- don't have either) and a few days of dish-washing have scrubbed almost everything off. The remaining patches on my thumbs still catch my attention, with the mix of gold, green, and light blue shimmer, and lovely cerulean blue medium-sized glitter. Each component color is very pretty, and the overall effect does remind me of iridescent fish scales seen in sunlight slanting through clear aqua water.

I'd seen swatches posted online, where the close-up photographs made the polish look unattractively chunky and gritty. I was pleased that 2 coats (applied with a light hand) didn't look so, well, horridly bumpy.

This polish is a bit too runny for my taste. Since I am a novice at doing my nails, I prefer thicker, gooey-er polish where it feels like I have more control over the amount of product that ends up on the brush. With thinner polish, I frantically race against the polish dripping down the brush, and the layer of color always ends up either thicker or thinner than I want it.

While I wouldn't buy this polish again, that's because:
- (1) $18 is too much for my liking
- (2) I've never really developed a nail-polish habit, going for months (maybe years) without wearing any ... this is a recent phase, and a beauty item that I just don't care that much about

Still, this color is quite pretty. I had previously bought (and returned) Essie's Turquoise and Caicos, since I couldn't figure out how to replicate my in-store test swatch, which left me with a lovely layer of sheer blue/green. Somehow, in my limited nail polish experience- Mermaid's Dream strikes similar visual chords- a flash of bright, sunny, green/blue ... as if I see a sunbeam underwater.

on 1/15/2013 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

While I wouldn't buy this polish again, that's because:
- (1) $18 is too much for my liking

on 12/13/2012 3:18:00 PM

I never thought i would wear ( blue/green/Turq) nail polish but after i tried "for Audry" i was in LOVE. and i love pairing this with it. I do have more than one nail polish from Lipmann and i gotta say this one gets ALOT of use. its even so pretty to look at!

on 9/8/2012 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

My reviews here are usually very long, since I tend to write them when I'm bored. But this one will be brief. Look at the bottle. Look at the swatches. Now realize that It's even more amazing than you're hoping it is. 'Nuff said.

on 4/30/2012 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

As soon as I saw this I had to have it since I love anything mermaid-related, plus it's a gorgeous color - shimmery aqua green with gold microglitter and larger chunks of blue glitter. The reason I gave this a four out of 5 is the noticeably gritty texture. I have polishes with much bigger, more densely-packed glitter particles and they're not nearly as bumpy as Mermaid's Dream. Still, it's REALLY pretty and I can't wait to wear it all summer.

Popular Polishes