Deborah Lippmann Mermaid's Dream

Deborah Lippmann Mermaid's Dream

4.4

on 12/12/2012 8:57:00 PM

I got this today at Ulta. Typical impulse buy, I wasn't even thinking about getting nail polish. I'm glad I did! This is a beautiful color, and damn you if you think a 40y old shouldn't be wearing turquoise/blue/gold glitter on her nails! ;) I rarely wear other colors than nudes, pinks, and reds on my nails, but this polish is so pretty I just couldn't resist.

It takes 2-3 coats to get full cover. It dries matte and rough, so a topcoat is a must. The price is steep, but heck, you only live once.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I was never a nail polish person. I found doing my nail so tedious, and boring. I never liked any colors on my pale skin, they just seemed to out of place. I preffered to keep my nails short, clean and natural, sometimes adding a clear coat if I was feeling fancy, lol. Well all that has changed. Now I LOVE nail polish, love giving myself a manicure, and love trying new bold colors, and thats all because of Deborah Lippmann. I will NEVER buy any other brand of polish. These polishes are a HG for me all the way! I mean these are by the far the best polishes in the world as far as Im concerned! The colors are well thought out and to die for! Mermaids Dream I never would have considered wearing at age 36..well forget that! Its beautiful! After trying the color 'something Vegas' I think..its a putty grey color, I fell in love and bought like 10 different colors. I have been impressed with every single product Ive gotten, including the Stripper remover. Her cuticle remover is magic, and the cuticle oil..OMG..smells like a tropical getaway, and is DIVINE. I will purchase these polishes and only these for the rest of my life! I have a color, I think its called 'I know what boys like' or something to that effect, its a periwinkle blue...I never would have dared to wear such a color, and now its one of my favorites! These polishes dry quickily and perfect! If you ever had trouble with streaks, ridges, chipping, flaking..try Deborah Lippmann, its impposible to go wrong! I use these polishes and it looks like Ive just come from the salon. I absoloutely can not say enough about how much I love these polishes as well as all of Lippmanns products! These are perfect in every way, from color choice, to wear, to finish, dry time..the colors are creative, original, and just sublime. Top of the line all the way, pricey, but sooo worth it if you love polish. If I had to pick one word to represent the line, the polishes, the colors, the quality..not to mention the excellent customer service..it would be, PERFECTION.

on 6/6/2013 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Truth be told, green and blue polishes are among my least favorites...and I never thought that I would become a fan of glitter polish, either. However, Mermaid's Dream has changed my mind on all of these points. It's simply gorgeous; the multi-toned glitter, texture, and beautiful seafoam shade of this polish render it beyond unique. It applies easily and wears well with a quick-drying top coat (which also smooths the texture out a bit). It's a lovely warm weather shade, and I would recommend it along with the other newer "Mermaid" polishes that Lippmann has recently released. They do require a bit more effort to remove (Zoya's remover works well), but they are worth the minor hassle, as their look is so lovely.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this as the small size in a set of Lippman polishes on sale and I recommend if you buy these, you get the small bottles as they can be a better price on sale and how much glittery polish of one kind do you need? I love this however, and it's a beautiful shade and the name is pretty descriptive. Something a mermaid would admire. It's a pale aqua green with holographic fine glitter and dark aqua green, almost emerald, round glitter suspended in it. I only use one coat and then top-coat it (it's best to use a base coat, then the polish, then topcoat.) Getting it off is a chore. Rub rub rub and then you have to moisturize afterwards. It's exceedingly cool in tone (cool aqua with blue-lavender undertones) and looks good on pink skin and I've seen this shade of green on an African-American lady and she looked gorgeous (she had red-pinkish tones to her complexion.) I'm not big on glitter polish but I love this one. The small bottles can be hard to open.

on 9/8/2012 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

My reviews here are usually very long, since I tend to write them when I'm bored. But this one will be brief. Look at the bottle. Look at the swatches. Now realize that It's even more amazing than you're hoping it is. 'Nuff said.

on 4/5/2012 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

This new nail color by DL is so very beautiful. For me it's fresh and interesting.
In one light it has a lot of green, in another light it has lots of blue and in between it has some really pretty blue, green, and gold glitter that is not so over powering that you're wearing your children or grand-children's nail polish. This glitter changes the color slightly and makes it more green or blue in certain lights, very interesting.
It does take 3 coats to cover the nail totally, but I expected that. It looks as if you are wearing something as close to the ocean as one can get. If you are imaginative you can almost feel the ocean breeze, or see the Mermaid popping out of the ocean, LOL.
It is not a smooth polish even after two or three coats of top coat. It is rough to the touch. I feel the bits from the glitter, however that is not noticed when looking at the polish on the nail, only to the wearer who touches their nails. Other than that there is nothing wrong with this polish at all. Still a strong wear. I pulled off 5 days as usual with my DL polishes, even when it chipped after 5 days I still didn't notice right away.
As with all DL glitter polishes I still have to soak my nails to get it off completely, but I don't mind that too much. I soak my nails in a non acetone polish remover for about 1 1/2 minutes, then off comes the polish with the same remover on a cotton pad or ball. I do one hand at a time no rubbing.
I have had quite a few compliments on the color and when it hits the light just right, most times there is another exclamation of "oh wow this is pretty" because the glitter sparkles. Of course there always is the "where did you get this" and "who makes it", followed by "where can I buy it". I have friends that want to use mine for their toes, eeewww, not my DL, they need to get their own, LOL.
I say splurge and get this for the spring and summer! It is a gorgeous color and a lot of fun wearing. I still take my me time and do my own nails and they look great! My polish collection is getting rather large and my husband is giving me funny looks, DL is taking over my fridge and my husband needs room for his snacks, LOL.

on 11/10/2014 9:29:00 PM

Frosty/metallic seafoam green speckled with dark green microglitter. Very pretty and extremely original. Nothing else looks like it.

Great formula too. Opaque in two coats, no problems with application or wear.

One of my favorite DL's. I'd definitely buy this again.

on 1/15/2013 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

I got Deborah Lippman's "Across the Universe" as a gift and promptly exchanged it for "Mermaid's Dream." (I hadn't liked the look of the glitter components- too big/bold for my taste). The small boutique didn't have very many DL choices, so I went with Mermaid's Dream- about the most non-traditional polish I own. (Um, Mermaid's Dream is the 5th bottle in my "collection", so now you know where I'm coming from.)

I applied 2 coats (no base coat or top coat- don't have either) and a few days of dish-washing have scrubbed almost everything off. The remaining patches on my thumbs still catch my attention, with the mix of gold, green, and light blue shimmer, and lovely cerulean blue medium-sized glitter. Each component color is very pretty, and the overall effect does remind me of iridescent fish scales seen in sunlight slanting through clear aqua water.

I'd seen swatches posted online, where the close-up photographs made the polish look unattractively chunky and gritty. I was pleased that 2 coats (applied with a light hand) didn't look so, well, horridly bumpy.

This polish is a bit too runny for my taste. Since I am a novice at doing my nails, I prefer thicker, gooey-er polish where it feels like I have more control over the amount of product that ends up on the brush. With thinner polish, I frantically race against the polish dripping down the brush, and the layer of color always ends up either thicker or thinner than I want it.

While I wouldn't buy this polish again, that's because:
- (1) $18 is too much for my liking
- (2) I've never really developed a nail-polish habit, going for months (maybe years) without wearing any ... this is a recent phase, and a beauty item that I just don't care that much about

Still, this color is quite pretty. I had previously bought (and returned) Essie's Turquoise and Caicos, since I couldn't figure out how to replicate my in-store test swatch, which left me with a lovely layer of sheer blue/green. Somehow, in my limited nail polish experience- Mermaid's Dream strikes similar visual chords- a flash of bright, sunny, green/blue ... as if I see a sunbeam underwater.

on 4/30/2012 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

As soon as I saw this I had to have it since I love anything mermaid-related, plus it's a gorgeous color - shimmery aqua green with gold microglitter and larger chunks of blue glitter. The reason I gave this a four out of 5 is the noticeably gritty texture. I have polishes with much bigger, more densely-packed glitter particles and they're not nearly as bumpy as Mermaid's Dream. Still, it's REALLY pretty and I can't wait to wear it all summer.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This gave me "lobster hands" aka redness in my skin was enhanced

This shade is SO gorgeous in the bottle. Unfortuneatly, it clashed with my skintone and looked garish and awful. An unflattering shade of blue on my warm NC40 skin tone. Maybe this would work better on cool skintones?

formula-- 1 coat is enough for an opaque finish
Glitter-- not too chunky

Just didn't work for me :(

Popular Polishes