Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Ferulic Acid+Plus Retinol Brightening Solution

4.2

Water (Aqua), Ethoxydiglycol, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Potassium Azeloyl Diglycinate, Ferulic Acid, Retinol, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Arctostaphylos Uva Ursi Leaf Extract, Arbutin, Morus Alba Leaf Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Salicylic Acid, Glycolic Acid, Mandelic Acid, Hexylresorcinol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol, Quercetin, Disodium Lauriminodipropionate Tocopheryl Phosphates, Ubiquinone, Phospholipids, Disodium EDTA, PVM/MA Decadiene Crosspolymer, Urea, Potassium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol.

I've only been using this for a week 2x's a day (per instructions) so I will try to remember to update after I finish bottle or have used for a longer time. As of now I really, really like this stuff. In the past, the retinal formulas I have tried in the past (no Rx's - just various DS OTC creams like Neutrogena, RoC, Avéne, MUAC, etc have either caused annoying irritation that never subside even after religious use and slow build-up, or I ended up with broken capillaries - not the look I'm going for). So, I have been hesitant about trying a retinal serum but being in my mid-30's I know I need something more than just a hydrating moisturizer. Enter DDG and this serum: I love it. Not even a hint of skin intolerance or irritation - in fact it feels almost soothing and lends some moisturizing to boot. Last night, I went out to dinner with my SO for our anniversary, directly after an all-day hike in very blustery conditions and I was wearing nothing on my face but some tinted sunscreen, and he asked if I was using that new serum I bought. (I had dragged him into Sephora when I purchased it last week, a little shocked at the price, so he definitely remembered). I nodded. He said my skin looked really good - smooth and bright. My husband never notices much of anything unless it's to point out some obvious flaw or improvement, so I take this as a big deal coming from. Still, I said "oh you're just being nice" but he insisted he could really see a difference. Honestly, I see an improvement as well - smaller and tighter pores, less ruddiness in my cheeks, and my forehead smoother.

The only gripes I have with this product are:
1) There's no information on the package about how best to store the bottle once opened and at what temperatures to avoid storing it at. I am thinking about refrigerating it for prolonged efficacy but scared it'll have reverse effect so have opted to keep it in the bedroom and put it back in the box after use, which should suffice I hope.
2) There aren't recommendations/instructions for how much (or little) one needs to apply. A few drops? A half a dropper? A whole dropper? I really would like this to be more clear as I feel as though I'm applying too much and I can't afford to be wasteful with this lovely but very pricey serum.
3) As someone else said, I pump bottle - or a bottle with a tighter and better seal - wouod be more practical and less risk of degradation, perhaps. I worry I'll knock over the bottle or spill some serum.

All said, I recommend this. As stated, I'll try to remember to update my review when I'm near finished with this bottle.

UPDATE (6/21/2016):
Still using this but I'm not sure how much more of an improvement I've seen since the initial week I first started using it, which was very positive. Then again, I haven't been using it 2x-day as I was doing before. Because I'm already quite sensitive to the sun, of which I've been getting more of as it is late June now, I've cut back to using it only 1x every other day evenings), which I'm 85% sure why effectiveness seems to have diminished some.
I can say, though, that the positive effects I experienced so quickly in the beginning don't seem to have worn off even after cutting down to every other day or 1xday, so that's awesome.

My skin cannot tolerate retin A since it is quite sensitive. Still, I still wanted to use a product that contains vit A. Was quite hesitant when trying out this product and weary of the price since it is not cheap €125.00 plus shipping costs ...
1st night I use it in my night routine no burning sensation nor itchiness. Used it with a bit of trepidation since it has glycolic acid and read somewhere you must not use both. When it woke up saw no difference what so over however I had no dry patches just normal skin.
After three months of use I do notice a difference. My skin produces less oil and my pores on t zone are less noticeable with less white heads. I am almost 40 years old and t zone behaves like teenage skin.
Well my main goal was anti aging. I do not have wrinkles yet . I am trying my best to prevent one from forming. It did minimize my laughter lines around my mouth but I also use argan oil along with this serum. By no means it is not the miracle product but judging from the results obtained I will buy my 2nd bottle . Yes it does smell funny like the skinceuticals one blame the ferulic acid. It does not bother me. At least it it not a chemical fragrance.

To Read all 32 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I have only been using this for a week. So far I have noticed that my skin looks brighter overall. I will add to the review after another week when I hope to see fading of acne scars.

I really like this formula - no breakouts!!

This serum is lightweight and absorbs fairly quickly. I like how clear my skin looks in the morning after I use this, although admittedly, I do not see any dramatic changes. My skin is looks brighter and more even after use. I would repurchase this, but I would try to get this on sale as it is ridiculously expensive.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Using every day, lasts about 3 months. Decent price and helping with hyperpigmentation. Easily absorbed and doesn't leave a resiude. I've re-bought and will continue to do so

I'm about half way through my bottle, which means about 3 months of usage. I am fair skinned, red hair with pink undertones and acne-prone skin with large pores that is seeing the first signs of aging. I tan well for my hair/skin type, which has led me to try to erase past sins. ::sigh::

Since I've been in my mid/late twenties, I have taken great care of my skin so I am not a skin care newbie and use alot of products. It's hard to pinpoint one product to say something really rocks my world, but I do like this serum and would buy it again. I find that this product goes on very well, sinks in quickly, and feels slightly moisturizing and not greasy in the least. I use 5 drops to cover my face and neck after toning, wait a few mins, and then use a moisturizer with SPF. It does not get greasy nor pill, or anything of the sort. I also love that it feels like it sinks in - too many products that I have feel like they just sit on my skin which I hate.

Whereas I have natural freckles and I do exfoliate chemically and manually regularly (my skin LOVES and truly needs alot of exfoliation), I haven't seen a dramatic change in the lightening/brightening of my skin, although I get alot of compliments on my skin (which for someone with my past acne issues is akin to saying I look like a super model to me) I wish I would have taken a before/after. I've only been using it for 3 months. But, my skin looks healthier, has a nice glow, and where I think I've seen the best benefit is that it is a retinol and BHA/AHA combo that gently keeps my skin clear with a clarifying/brightening effect. It doesn't burn, nor has it ever irritated my skin. This has also been a product I've stuck with almost every day, which is unheard of for me. If they are gimmicky or don't feel right, I tend to stop them. This one has been a staple.

So, that's a very long winded way for me to say that this product hasn't completely shocked/wowed me, but it's been a steady horse and I don't mind paying good money for products that compliment my skin. If you don't do as many treatments as I do, maybe you'll see a more dramatic change. I'm at an age where I'm seeing where my diligence (and investment) is paying off vs my friends who are similar ages. I would definitely buy this again if I ran out and suggest at least a sample.

If you're truly combo like me, another product I've enjoyed is Dennis Gross' 3 serum package. There is one for hydration, brightening and clarifying and they are cute little scientific looking bottles. I would check them out - bonuses for your skin that you can customize depending on what you need that day.

Seriously life changing! I have fair, very sensitive, acne-prone skin with rough texture, oily and red t zone. This was suggested by a Sephora rep. Since using my skin transformed into glowing, even, acne free skin!! I thought nothing could help, but now I'm an avid skin care fanatic knowing that little gems like this are out there n can save my skin. I forgot this on vacation once and my skin went back to being horrible so I know this is the one product that is really working wonders!

I took off a lippie because I haven't noticed any improvement in fine lines. Packaging should be airtight (pump) to help preserve ingredients better. Also, it may seem pricey but you'll save money by not wasting it on products that don't work. This is all I use followed by Caudalie moisturizer every night.

This was an unremarkable serum for me. I bought several sample sizes rather than paying $85.00 for a full size bottle, and I am very glad that I did.

For reference, I have dry skin on my cheeks and eye area, and very oily nose and chin. It did sink into my skin very fast, and there was no greasy residue, but I absolutely hated the smell of this serum.

I noticed no difference whatsoever in my skin after using several small bottles of this. I did notice something about the product itself though. After opening, the serum deteriorated and ended up with floating black bits in it (resembling balsamic vinegar in oil). This happened with every bottle I had, and I had only had each of the bottles open for a couple of weeks. I have no idea why this happened or what the oily black lumps were, but I am glad that I didn't buy a full size of this.

Very disappointed that my skin looked no better even after using for a couple of months. Won't be repurchasing.

This really helps smooth out and brighten my skin. I've been using it morning and night.

I had received a gift card to sephora for 100 dollars. Having recently turned 35 I decided to spend it on skin care. My skin is very fair, combination, light acne, fine lines, milia. I'm probably being hard on myself but the magnifying mirror of truth as we call it pointed all of this out.

A true skin care addict, I must say I love this product!! Could it be that it made a difference in just 3 days? Yep! It is pricey! 106 CAD plus tax but a good time to try it as I had a gift card. A little goes a long way here in the one ounce dropper bottle. Slight medicinal smell. I found it leaves a very slight tack on the skin but it's very slight and goes away quickly.

Biggest change I have noticed right away was skin colouring was more even, helped my mild acne quickly, and my skin was smoother. Nice under makeup.

Any small small complaints are easily overridden by the great results. I consider it to be a good investment. I had no sensitivity issues here either with the retinol.

Will buy again! Will continue to get carded! (No joke)