L'Oreal Paris Colour Riche Eyeshadow

Filtered by eye Color : Green

2.8

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have this in Cuppa Joe, and I absolutely love it! It's the perfect neutral-nude for me, I've bought it 3 times already... which is a big deal since I'm an eyeshadow whore! I never spend a ton on eye makeup because I wear contacts and I throw it all out every 2 months, but this is one of the best drugstore shadows, hands down. With summer coming I'd definitely like to try more jewel-toned palettes and I know they'll be great quality. My only beef with this is that the narrow, elongated design makes it harder to get just one color on my brush. And speaking of brushes, one of the reviews of this says the colors don't pick up well, but I have some middling-quality brushes that work just fine and some cheap ones that just don't pick up and lay down color very well. I have no idea what that reviewer uses, but overall I think getting some tools that are quality is definitely worth it. Having good tools can sometimes make a cheap product purchase worth it, IMO.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Meh. Cheaply milled pigments in a cheap teen-friendly price. Not awful but not great either.
No comparison to Lorac, MAC, Bobbi Brown, NARS and other high-end brands.

Note: L'oreal and L'ancome is the same crap in a different package.

These little quads retail for around $8 at the store. I picked up the 211 blue haute couture from the brazened bolds collection. I really thought I'd like this, the packaging was really cute and chic, the colors looked gorgeous and satiny in the pan. I thought this would be pretty for summer, especially the turquoise-like shade in the set. In addition to this shade, there is a champagne-like color for a highlight, dark blue for the crease and hunter green shade for defining the lashline. As I've said in the pan these colors looked very pigmented and lovely, but that so didn't transfer to real life. These really have to built up and packed on to even show on my lids properly, even with a primer and what's worse is they totally disappear throughout the day, again..even with a primer. They either crease like crazy or just flat out disappear every single time. The primers I use make even the most cheap of shadows at least be usable and stay for a little bit of time, but not these bad boys. Fortunately I didn't waste a lot of money on this guy, and got it on sale to boot. But I definitely wouldn't repurchase. Granted, I could have just gotten a dud and the other color ranges may be better formulated but judging from most the other reviews my hopes wouldn't be too high.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

What the--seriously? I must be buying a completely different product than the rest of y'all, because from my perspective, we've got GAMECHANGERS on our hands. This is the new standard by which all future high-street eyeshadow should be judged.

I'll tell you a story. In the past, one of the only two drugstore makeup items I considered categorically inferior was eyeshadow. (A distinction now reserved for eyebrow pencils, but we'll address that another time.) The singles were always chalky, anemic, left big old piebald patches when you tried to blend them...the palettes were either too conventional or not conventional enough, if that makes sense...they wouldn't stick to the lid, even if you tried to glue them into place with another product...with the sporadic exception, they were just plain awful. I honestly didn't expect great things from these at first, either. I initially saw them at Ulta, and the selection was fairly limited, so although they caught my eye with their newness, I don't remember being knocked out of my socks by them. Then Target displayed the whole line, and it literally took me half an hour to choose just one, because that was all I could afford at the time.

I have four now, all from the Brazen/ Bold subcategory, I think (Hollywood Icon, Shopping Spree, Blue Haute Couture, Neon Skirt), but the good news here is, you can get any look you could possibly be after: basic, smokey, or bright. The pigments are just rich enough (no, they're not going to wrestle your eyelid to the ground--get over yourselves), they submit to the will of my blending brush, and the shade groupings are so clever. My hands-down favourite is Shopping Spree, which has the gall to pair coral with, not brown, but GUNMETAL--come on, now, who thinks of that? Warm and cool, together on the same eye, and by Wedge Antilles, it WORKS. Then, they complete the one-two punch by offering a variety of textures and finishes. Yes, the majority of them shimmer, as is a common complaint about drugstore eyeshadow, but you know what? This issue transcends price range. Just three days ago I was kicking off about neither MAC nor Urban Decay carrying matte pastels/ brights (I do love my Naked2 palette more than morning coffee and my parents, but more on that later). So that tip needs to be retired already. Ready for some more good news? If you're into matte neutrals but can't afford the UD Naked Basics palette, Cuppa Joe has you covered. All you'd need to pick up is a matte black.

I bought this in 105-Rose for Romance, and if you can get it on, it is very pretty. However, the quality of the shadows is terrible. They are chunky and have so much fallout it is almost impossible to get them on a brush. Once you get them on the brush, you can't get them on your skin. It is a real problem. I did a FOTD using the quad, and it was quite lovely, but it was A LOT of work, and I find myself avoiding it for day to day wear. That equals a waste of money regardless of how cheap it was. It's too bad because it is such a pretty quad!