L'Oreal Colour Riche Eyeshadow

Filtered by age: 30-35

3.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

First and foremost, I'm still a novice at applying eye shadow. Even though I've been wearing makeup for nearly 20 years, I'm still not confident with my application technique or picking colors. For this reason, I love the little eye shadow kits that have directions on the back telling you where to put the colors. I picked this quad up in Cookie and Cream because I'm desperately trying to get away from wearing boring browns because I'm tan (think Beyonce's coloring) with brown eyes and brown shadow just makes me look blah and boring. Anyhow, I got this because it was on sale at Walgreens (some buy one, get one half off deal) and I thought greys might be flattering.

This quad includes two greys, one white for the brow bone and a black sparkly shadow for the liner. The less darker of the grey that goes on the lid is nice enough as are the other colors. I particularly like the sparkly black shadow as I can actually line my upper lids without looking like I applied it drunk if I use gel or pencil. For that reason, I'm glad I found this quad otherwise I likely wouldn't have tried this technique. The colors and the look is decent enough but these shadows are not very pigmented. I use Shu Uemura brushes to apply this (the spongy brush this comes with is useless) and it took quite a bit of patting and swipping to pick up some color. I also had to apply quite a bit to cover my skin. The lighter colors barely show up on me though I can see a hint of shimmer in the right light. I followed the vague direction on the back and admittedly, I like the look. It's probably not a great look for me on a daily basis or for more a casual look but definitely a nice date night look (Reminder to self: Get a date!).

While I am glad I got this for the directions and the colors are nice enough, these shadows tend to produce a lot of fallout. Before I even finished applying eye liner and mascara, the shadows had transfered under my eyes and on my cheeks. I had chunks of sparkle on my cheeks and now, sitting here with this on my lids, I can feel some of the shadow in my eye ball. This has happened with other L'Oreal shadows in the past so I know it's not my liner or mascara.

After this experience, I doubt I'll continue to buy L'Oreal shadows. I rarely like any of their cosmetics but their packaging and colors keep sucking me in when I'm in a makeup buying mood especially if they're on sale. I'd recommend these if you're just starting out because the directions are easy to follow or if you're still experimenting with your look but I can't image this being a staple or an HG kind of product. There are better shadows out there that are more pigmented and don't end up on your under eye and cheek area.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have this in Cuppa Joe, and I absolutely love it! It's the perfect neutral-nude for me, I've bought it 3 times already... which is a big deal since I'm an eyeshadow whore! I never spend a ton on eye makeup because I wear contacts and I throw it all out every 2 months, but this is one of the best drugstore shadows, hands down. With summer coming I'd definitely like to try more jewel-toned palettes and I know they'll be great quality. My only beef with this is that the narrow, elongated design makes it harder to get just one color on my brush. And speaking of brushes, one of the reviews of this says the colors don't pick up well, but I have some middling-quality brushes that work just fine and some cheap ones that just don't pick up and lay down color very well. I have no idea what that reviewer uses, but overall I think getting some tools that are quality is definitely worth it. Having good tools can sometimes make a cheap product purchase worth it, IMO.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I love this product. I have been using it for a long time now will continue! It stays on the brush well in order to apply it, and blends beautifully. Having good brushes helps though, which I do. I hear some people on here say that is an issue and I believe that a good brush does make a huge difference. I work 12 hour shifts in law enforcement and it easily stays on and lasts me for my entire shift on duty. I always use Good Luck Charm, and Cupa Joe. Great product, highly recommended!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

What the--seriously? I must be buying a completely different product than the rest of y'all, because from my perspective, we've got GAMECHANGERS on our hands. This is the new standard by which all future high-street eyeshadow should be judged.

I'll tell you a story. In the past, one of the only two drugstore makeup items I considered categorically inferior was eyeshadow. (A distinction now reserved for eyebrow pencils, but we'll address that another time.) The singles were always chalky, anemic, left big old piebald patches when you tried to blend them...the palettes were either too conventional or not conventional enough, if that makes sense...they wouldn't stick to the lid, even if you tried to glue them into place with another product...with the sporadic exception, they were just plain awful. I honestly didn't expect great things from these at first, either. I initially saw them at Ulta, and the selection was fairly limited, so although they caught my eye with their newness, I don't remember being knocked out of my socks by them. Then Target displayed the whole line, and it literally took me half an hour to choose just one, because that was all I could afford at the time.

I have four now, all from the Brazen/ Bold subcategory, I think (Hollywood Icon, Shopping Spree, Blue Haute Couture, Neon Skirt), but the good news here is, you can get any look you could possibly be after: basic, smokey, or bright. The pigments are just rich enough (no, they're not going to wrestle your eyelid to the ground--get over yourselves), they submit to the will of my blending brush, and the shade groupings are so clever. My hands-down favourite is Shopping Spree, which has the gall to pair coral with, not brown, but GUNMETAL--come on, now, who thinks of that? Warm and cool, together on the same eye, and by Wedge Antilles, it WORKS. Then, they complete the one-two punch by offering a variety of textures and finishes. Yes, the majority of them shimmer, as is a common complaint about drugstore eyeshadow, but you know what? This issue transcends price range. Just three days ago I was kicking off about neither MAC nor Urban Decay carrying matte pastels/ brights (I do love my Naked2 palette more than morning coffee and my parents, but more on that later). So that tip needs to be retired already. Ready for some more good news? If you're into matte neutrals but can't afford the UD Naked Basics palette, Cuppa Joe has you covered. All you'd need to pick up is a matte black.

I've heard such mixed reviews about this product. Some raved saying the pigmentation was great, swatches looked amazing, etc. Others said there was no pigmentation, shadows were powdery and blah. I took a chance and bought Army Brat. I'm glad I did! It was very pigmented and blended beautifully. Lasted all day with my normal e/s primer. This quad comes with a pretty gold with beige undertones, a shimmery whitish gold, a dark taupey/slatey/green color and a dark blackened emerald. All of these colors have great pigmentation and are very smooth and soft. I haven't experienced any powderyness or fall-out. Will be checking out other quads soon

I bought this in 105-Rose for Romance, and if you can get it on, it is very pretty. However, the quality of the shadows is terrible. They are chunky and have so much fallout it is almost impossible to get them on a brush. Once you get them on the brush, you can't get them on your skin. It is a real problem. I did a FOTD using the quad, and it was quite lovely, but it was A LOT of work, and I find myself avoiding it for day to day wear. That equals a waste of money regardless of how cheap it was. It's too bad because it is such a pretty quad!