TheBalm Balm Jovi Rockstar Face Palette

TheBalm Balm Jovi Rockstar Face Palette
Balm Jovi Rockstar Face Palette

4.4

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I purchased Balm Jovi on sale for myself and as a gift for a friend. I enjoy the highlighter, especially in photos and the blush seems okay. The actual eye shadows aren't long lasting and sadly they do fade. You will need a long lasting eye shadow primer or some sort of base and setting spray to aid, too, which is kind of disappointing. The colour selection is beautiful, though. Haven't tried the lip/cheek colours as it seems like a hassle, mine look waxy and dry. The name pun's cute but I do wish the quality of the shadows had been better. They aren't as pigmented as I expected. Hopefully I can buy the highlighter and blush full sized soon. I do think its original price ($39.95) is overpriced for what it is. I can't deny the mirror inside is adorable and the packaging's fun!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love how kitschy & sick the names are on this palette any palette w directions is a hit for me but this kicks up the dust big time I would have a hard time traveling w this coz I like to put on my makeup trompe le mond so I don't get dust all over my clothes. That's a serious bummer but that's easily solved by leaving it on my vanity in the AM. The colors are gorg!! Many a redeeming thing about this palette :-)

on 11/23/2016 10:41:00 AM

The colours are all very pigmented and complement each other beautifully.

I don't like the cardboard box though - something I've never gotten used to with Benefit as well. I travel quite a bit with this palette - it's nice that the packaging is light, but would prefer a sturdier packaging to protect its contents.

on 3/23/2017 1:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I kind of have mixed feelings about this palette, especially after I bought it seeing as it was praised so much by so many people. I love the eye shadow colours. I adore the highlighter and the blush. The lip colours are okay too, just not how I like mine. The products are applied well, they blend easily. The one issue is wearability. The eyeshadows especially, do not last. They wear off quite a bit quicker than other (cheaper) brands I've used and that's a huge disappointment 'cause I love the shades. They don't last at all without a primer (I did that once when I was out- and after about half an hour my lids looked like I had applied gold glitter and nothing else all over them). I've skipped primer with other palettes before, and the results from this one are worse than any of them. So one thing, I think this palette works best with added products that will make it last (primer, setting spray etc.). I really like the packaging. It has magnetic closures, and is very lightweight.

on 2/2/2017 7:16:00 PM

If you dont own anything from the balm you can buy this palette. The lipsticks are ok i like them. Blush is also so cute , very pigmented . I dont like the highlighter because thats so glittery but for videos , photos or events thats amazing and blinding. Eye shadows are quite pigmented, buttery but they dont look the same on your eyelids . especially if you have darker skin i would not recommend this to you because the colors would not show up on darker eyelids. I was in love with that lilac shade before I buy them but when i put that on my eyelid its not looking like lilac. So my over all opinion is never pay the full price for this products but if you catch a good sale you can buy this .

on 3/27/2017 2:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Its meh. i liked lipsticks highlighter and blush. but eyeshadows are weird. the colours doesn't really match together. it contains two or three legendary shadows buts that's all.

on 6/11/2016 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Amazing palette! Good quality and so long lasting.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Totally love it!
The Balm Jovi is the first product from TheBalm I purchased, and I was totally digging this one. I've used this on many occasions, including formal ones such as wedding and medical-practitioner commencement ceremony, and it does hold up really well.
The pigmentation is great, even for the lighter colors. My favorites from the pack are The Stroke and Lead Zeppelin. The blush & luminizers are nice - I'm thinking of buying their full-size pans (i.e. the Frat Boy & Mary Lou). I barely use the lip colors, since the shades don't match my liking, but it's really comfortable on the lips.
I've brought this palette along with me during my travels, and I'd never needed any other palette since.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This palette leaves me feeling very confused. I bought it after reading the hype, the reviews, the beauty guru recommendations and I truly thought it was right up my alley.

And then it's somewhat anti-climactic.

So, starting with the packaging ...

TheBalm has arguably the most groan-worthy, kitschy packing of all brand. Tongue-in-cheek references and puns are their forte and yep, they do it extremely well. I love puns. I'm part of the pun-lovers universe and quite proud of it and TheBalm never disappoints.

Onto the contents themselves.

The lip creams are ... nice. They're nice creamy lip thingies. The fact that they're named Milly and Vanilly did not go unnoticed and I imagine many grown-ups had a sly giggle about it all.

The luminizer (why is my spell-check yelling at me for that?!) is lovely, and the blush actually suits me perfectly (which is actually something of a miracle since blush and I rarely get along). Doing great so far.

But then ... then we have the eye shadows. The mattes are perfectly fine, and aren't patchy or chalky at all. The others? This is where they lost me. For some unknown (and mildly annoying) reason they just don't work for me. Primer, no primer, base, no base, spendy brush, cheapy brush ... I don't know. They just don't. I can't even. I'm puzzled. I'm Patchy McPatch from Chalkville.

I keep trying to make it work and I'll continue to keep trying, probably until frustration takes over and the whole darned thing ends up being tossed into the stratosphere.

Very odd.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

First total face palette I've purchased and I am loving the combination of products so much. It is also my first product from The Balm. What a great way to be introduced to their products with this combo. 12 different shadows in a wide variety of shades to create many different looks, can be used wet or dry. Love love love the blush and highlighter/luminizer. Both of the lip products can be used as cream blush and are nice simple shades and universally flattering. Pigment in the powders is rock solid, they blend easily and wear well. Packaging is cute and sturdy, with magnetic closures (separate ones for lip/cheek and powders) that keep the products protected and clean. The palette is lightweight and about the size of an iPad mini so great for travel or carrying in your purse. As with other products by The Balm, shade names are adorable. This palette, as you can imagine, uses names of (primarily) rock bands and I can't help but smile and recall fond memories from younger days when I read them.

The Balm Voyage looks like a good palette and possibly the next one I purchase. In the meantime, I will enjoy Balm Jovi Rockstar and highly recommend you check it out if you are looking for something to minimize the amount of products you pack when travelling.