theBalm Cosmetics Balm Jovi Rockstar Face Palette

Balm Jovi Rockstar Face Palette

4.3

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Such cute packaging! What a shame the shadows are absolutely crap.

The shadows in this palette are very poor quality - powdery, fall out, fade away, blend away to nothing, not pigmented and doesn't show up in my medium brown skin.

I like the blush - pretty peachy coral and lasts much longer/performs much better than the shadows. The highlighter also performs well.

Love love love the two lipsticks:
-the red has a cool undertone and just stunning!
-the nude pink one has been my fav nude for a smoky eye. And, I ended up going and buying the full size lipstick in Mai Bills Be Paid by The Balm, as it was the closest to the lipstick in the palette.

Unfortunately, the fallout from the eyeshadows settle on the lipsticks and then its just yuck and meh.

I can't love this palette because the biggest portion of the palette - the eyeshadows are underwhelming. I would not buy this palette for the cheek or lip items alone - price not justified.

Do not recommend. They did manage to take my money with the kitsch cute packaging. But I am wiser and poorer by that much now.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I purchased Balm Jovi on sale for myself and as a gift for a friend. This palette was my first high end palette. I enjoy the highlighter, especially in photos and the blush seems okay. The actual eye shadows aren't long lasting and sadly they do fade and it's noticeable. I've had much cheaper shadows last longer with no aid. You will need a long lasting eye shadow primer or some sort of base (a MAC paint pot, concealer, etc) and setting spray to aid, too, which is kind of disappointing. The colour selection is beautiful, though. Haven't tried the lip/cheek colours as it seems like a hassle, mine look waxy and dry. I do wish the quality of the shadows had been better. They aren't as pigmented as I expected. Hopefully I can buy the highlighter and blush full sized soon. I do think its original price ($39.95) is overpriced for what it is. On a good note, can't deny the mirror inside is adorable and the packaging's fun! The name pun's also great.

Update: After more testing, the highlighter and blush are the star products in this palette. A lot of the shadows have fallout and it’s heavy fallout, it goes everywhere. Tonight, I was using this and it got into the highlight and blush portions. I’ve tried to use the blush as a shadow and it outperforms other shades. Some shadows can be built up to a decent pigmentation while others don’t show up on my lid at all, even with an UD eyeshadow primer underneath. The lip creams are not for me at all, they barely show on the lips. If you like a more natural look, you’d probably love them and these shadows, possibly. They’re lighter than a tint. The shades in this palette are hit and miss. I’d say buy the highlighter and blush separately and skip out on the rest. Metal-ica is pretty on top and in your tearducts. I usually use Adagio as a base colour for any look and it’s the tiniest amount of beige colour. Lead Zeppelin is a forest green with gold shimmer that makes my eyes pop, I do wish it was a tiny bit more pigmented. Third eye blinded is like a light rose gold that doesn’t show up. I intend to use this palette up and not repurchase. Also, this cardboard packaging does get so messy after a long time of frequent use and fallout also gets into the lip creams.

Best shadows: Metal-ica, Lead Zeppelin, Allergo, The Stroke, Presto and Moderato.

Worst shadows: Third eye blinded, Blink 1982, rem and Iron Maid-in.

In the middle: Adagio and Alice Copper, a wine colour though there’s no gold shimmer like you’d think, similar with Lead Zeppelin.

I love how kitschy & sick the names are on this palette any palette w directions is a hit for me but this kicks up the dust big time I would have a hard time traveling w this coz I like to put on my makeup trompe le mond so I don't get dust all over my clothes. That's a serious bummer but that's easily solved by leaving it on my vanity in the AM. The colors are gorg!! Many a redeeming thing about this palette :-)

on 3/27/2017 2:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Its meh. i liked lipsticks highlighter and blush. but eyeshadows are weird. the colours doesn't really match together. it contains two or three legendary shadows buts that's all.

on 3/23/2017 1:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I kind of have mixed feelings about this palette, especially after I bought it seeing as it was praised so much by so many people. I love the eye shadow colours. I adore the highlighter and the blush. The lip colours are okay too, just not how I like mine. The products are applied well, they blend easily. The one issue is wearability. The eyeshadows especially, do not last. They wear off quite a bit quicker than other (cheaper) brands I've used and that's a huge disappointment 'cause I love the shades. They don't last at all without a primer (I did that once when I was out- and after about half an hour my lids looked like I had applied gold glitter and nothing else all over them). I've skipped primer with other palettes before, and the results from this one are worse than any of them. So one thing, I think this palette works best with added products that will make it last (primer, setting spray etc.). I really like the packaging. It has magnetic closures, and is very lightweight.

on 2/2/2017 7:16:00 PM

If you dont own anything from the balm you can buy this palette. The lipsticks are ok i like them. Blush is also so cute , very pigmented . I dont like the highlighter because thats so glittery but for videos , photos or events thats amazing and blinding. Eye shadows are quite pigmented, buttery but they dont look the same on your eyelids . especially if you have darker skin i would not recommend this to you because the colors would not show up on darker eyelids. I was in love with that lilac shade before I buy them but when i put that on my eyelid its not looking like lilac. So my over all opinion is never pay the full price for this products but if you catch a good sale you can buy this .

on 11/23/2016 10:41:00 AM

The colours are all very pigmented and complement each other beautifully.

I don't like the cardboard box though - something I've never gotten used to with Benefit as well. I travel quite a bit with this palette - it's nice that the packaging is light, but would prefer a sturdier packaging to protect its contents.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Totally love it!
The Balm Jovi is the first product from TheBalm I purchased, and I was totally digging this one. I've used this on many occasions, including formal ones such as wedding and medical-practitioner commencement ceremony, and it does hold up really well.
The pigmentation is great, even for the lighter colors. My favorites from the pack are The Stroke and Lead Zeppelin. The blush & luminizers are nice - I'm thinking of buying their full-size pans (i.e. the Frat Boy & Mary Lou). I barely use the lip colors, since the shades don't match my liking, but it's really comfortable on the lips.
I've brought this palette along with me during my travels, and I'd never needed any other palette since.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

First total face palette I've purchased and I am loving the combination of products so much. It is also my first product from The Balm. What a great way to be introduced to their products with this combo. 12 different shadows in a wide variety of shades to create many different looks, can be used wet or dry. Love love love the blush and highlighter/luminizer. Both of the lip products can be used as cream blush and are nice simple shades and universally flattering. Pigment in the powders is rock solid, they blend easily and wear well. Packaging is cute and sturdy, with magnetic closures (separate ones for lip/cheek and powders) that keep the products protected and clean. The palette is lightweight and about the size of an iPad mini so great for travel or carrying in your purse. As with other products by The Balm, shade names are adorable. This palette, as you can imagine, uses names of (primarily) rock bands and I can't help but smile and recall fond memories from younger days when I read them.

The Balm Voyage looks like a good palette and possibly the next one I purchase. In the meantime, I will enjoy Balm Jovi Rockstar and highly recommend you check it out if you are looking for something to minimize the amount of products you pack when travelling.

on 6/11/2016 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Amazing palette! Good quality and so long lasting.