TheBalm Balm Jovi Rockstar Face Palette

TheBalm Balm Jovi Rockstar Face Palette

4.5

First total face palette I've purchased and I am loving the combination of products so much. It is also my first product from The Balm. What a great way to be introduced to their products with this combo. 12 different shadows in a wide variety of shades to create many different looks, can be used wet or dry. Love love love the blush and highlighter/luminizer. Both of the lip products can be used as cream blush and are nice simple shades and universally flattering. Pigment in the powders is rock solid, they blend easily and wear well. Packaging is cute and sturdy, with magnetic closures (separate ones for lip/cheek and powders) that keep the products protected and clean. The palette is lightweight and about the size of an iPad mini so great for travel or carrying in your purse. As with other products by The Balm, shade names are adorable. This palette, as you can imagine, uses names of (primarily) rock bands and I can't help but smile and recall fond memories from younger days when I read them.

The Balm Voyage looks like a good palette and possibly the next one I purchase. In the meantime, I will enjoy Balm Jovi Rockstar and highly recommend you check it out if you are looking for something to minimize the amount of products you pack when travelling.

on 6/11/2016 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Amazing palette! Good quality and so long lasting.

To Read all 35 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This palette leaves me feeling very confused. I bought it after reading the hype, the reviews, the beauty guru recommendations and I truly thought it was right up my alley.

And then it's somewhat anti-climactic.

So, starting with the packaging ...

TheBalm has arguably the most groan-worthy, kitschy packing of all brand. Tongue-in-cheek references and puns are their forte and yep, they do it extremely well. I love puns. I'm part of the pun-lovers universe and quite proud of it and TheBalm never disappoints.

Onto the contents themselves.

The lip creams are ... nice. They're nice creamy lip thingies. The fact that they're named Milly and Vanilly did not go unnoticed and I imagine many grown-ups had a sly giggle about it all.

The luminizer (why is my spell-check yelling at me for that?!) is lovely, and the blush actually suits me perfectly (which is actually something of a miracle since blush and I rarely get along). Doing great so far.

But then ... then we have the eye shadows. The mattes are perfectly fine, and aren't patchy or chalky at all. The others? This is where they lost me. For some unknown (and mildly annoying) reason they just don't work for me. Primer, no primer, base, no base, spendy brush, cheapy brush ... I don't know. They just don't. I can't even. I'm puzzled. I'm Patchy McPatch from Chalkville.

I keep trying to make it work and I'll continue to keep trying, probably until frustration takes over and the whole darned thing ends up being tossed into the stratosphere.

Very odd.

on 9/1/2015 10:36:00 PM

This is pretty much the best travel palette, especially if you enjoy variety in your looks. You get 12 eyeshadows that range from browns to a green, purples, pinks, burgundies and even a navy blue and silver. You also get a powder highlight, powder blush and two lip/cheek products. The colors all have nice pigmentation and the palette itself is farily thin. Plus, it has some super cute names.

I just think overall, this is a really well done palette if you enjoy a bit of color and travel.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

My favourite eye shadow palette ever! Pigments perfect and includes also a blush and highlighter that I use a lot. I don't really use the multipurpose lip/cheek as blush but I do as lipstick, especially the red one. It's creamy and stays for a while on my lips. I also like the packaking, very useful if you go on a trip, you don't really need a lot more stuff. It has almost everything you need for a fast make up look. Great price also!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love the eyeshadow colors in this. I don't find myself using the highlighter often and I've never used the blush or the glosses. The purples in this are great. The sparkly green is unlike anything I own. True to thebalm fashion quality is excellent.

on 3/10/2015 12:05:00 PM

I did not have high expectations for this palette, as most face palettes like this one have a lot of duds and few gems. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised! There isn't a single eyeshadow shade in this bad boy that I won't use (although Metal-ica I'll use rarely, only for special occasions), and the pigmentation is AMAZING! I think I love this palette even more than my beloved Lorac Pro. I'm currently running out of eye primer, and even with very minimal to no primer the shades are vibrant, blend well, and stay put for 10+ hours! Sometimes when using my lorac pro or naked basics, the colors all blend together into a muddy looking mess, but not with theBalm! and that's WITHOUT a primer. I'm not usually one to leave reviews, but you all need to buy this asap. The highlighter and blush are what really makes this palette a steal, and I will be purchasing full size blushes and highlights from theBalm very soon. The only thing i'm not a huge fan of are the cheek/lip cream products, they don't blend well over foundation and I prefer an opaque lip product. I will use them on cheeks without foundation, though :)

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Such a versatile palette! I love all the buttery smooth shadows--they're very pigmented, and the highlighter (Mary Lou-manizer) is amazing, so is the blush (Frat Boy). The two lip/cheek colors are great too. I use them more as cheek colors, and they blend beautifully into the skin, giving very natural color. Also, I just can't get over all the clever names! This palette is a must for anyone who travels a lot, but doesn't want to carry a bunch of individual products. :D

on 11/23/2014 5:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is my favourite palette of all time, which is huge coming from a palette junkie who never picks favourites from her babies! Let me tell you why:

* it's super portable. I travel a lot and this is all I need for a full face. Instead of toting around a huge bag I just pop this in my handbag with concealer, foundation and mascara. These shadows are so buttery and pigmented you can live without primer, though of course the excel further with it. Allegro doubles as contour.

* I need diversity in a palette which is something becoming rare in this age of neutral loving. There is not one product or shade in this baby that is not awesome on my neutral NC25 skin. Seriously I am a tough critic and to have everything in one palette be wearable and flattering is the stuff unicorns are made of.

*The shadows are up there with Lorac in terms of pigment and texture, and are way better and more consistent than UD. Sometimes thebalm can turn out a dud shadow, but none of that here. All super pretty and functional. Whether you want neutral, smokey, Rockstar, colour pop, halo, whatever - you can do it with these 12 superb shadows.

* I'm told Disco ball is the iconic Mary loumanizer. Either way, I need this in my life. It's an HG highlighter that I use every day, even if I don't touch the shadows. Use lots or a little, depending on mood or look. It's brilliant, literally!

* The blush is pinker than I usually go for but it works surprisingly well. Go light handed for sheer as the pigment is strong and bold. Doubles as a shadow.

* The creams are actually gorgeous. I usually skip over these in palettes but these two are highly functional on both lips and cheeks. They are even complimentary used together in the same look, with milly on cheeks and vanilly on lips (or vice versa). You can even blend/layer for more colours.

* Packaging is nothing less than the fabulously clever and cute we expect from theBalm. Cardboard is sturdy, magnet is strong, powders and creams separated. Everything about this is pretty and functional. The shade names are witty and all in theme.

I didn't think I needed this as I had just bought balm voyage (I'm a frequent traveler) and I have so many travel palettes like lancome, dior, ysl, Estee Lauder, and of course a whole bunch of eyeshadow only palettes. Unfortunately Balm Jovi retails for about $60-70 in the Philippines and this is so great I wouldn't hesitate to drop that kind of money again if I had to, but luckily they can be found cheaper online. In fact I might need to repurchase soon given the use I'm getting. It's been 2 months of daily use and I think it will take 6 months to see pan on anything. But I can't live without it. All my other expensive HE palettes are collecting dust as this one is never far from my side.

So much love to theBalm for making a perfect palette! You have made my life easier, my use of pigments more creative, and my luggage lighter. Bravo.

on 10/13/2014 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I LOVE everything about this palette! All the colors are great, plus I really enjoy all the clever names and color categories. This is so much fun to use.