CHANEL Le Volume De Chanel Mascara

CHANEL Le Volume De Chanel Mascara

4.2

Aqua, synthetic Beeswax, Paraffin, Stearic Acid, Acacia Senegal Gum, Triethanolamine, Butylene Glycol, Carnauba wax, Glyceryl stearate, Polybutene, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Sorbate, BHT, Tetrasodium EDTA, Ascorbyl palmitate, Tocopherol, ( /-, CI 75470, CI 77007, Ci 77163, Ci 77288, Ci 77289, Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499, CI 77510, Ci 77742, CI 77891, Mica).

on 4/9/2013 8:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

If you are reading this review debating on whether or not it's worth spending 30 dollars on a mascara, I get it, I was too. However I would urge you to go get it immediately! I love mascara, everyone has their favorite beauty item, and mine is mascara. I literally have about 10 in my rotation right now, most of them drugstore. The minute I got this mascara, those stopped being used. They are still good mascaras, but I've never tried a mascara that was better than this and that is saying a lot. The first time I used it, I wasn't really wowed. But it usually takes me a few tries to figure out the best way to work with a new mascara and get used to it. By the third or fourth try, I was in love. I'm blessed to have pretty long lashes naturally, however I don't have too much volume. I like mascaras that can give me both, and this does just that. It is a wetter mascara, so keep that in mind. I find the best way to use it for my lashes is to put on a coat, let it set for about 30-40 seconds, then go back and build it up. When I'm done my lashes literally look like falsies, and no other mascara has done that for me. It is expensive, but for me it is worth every penny!!

on 3/15/2018 8:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This is my go to mascara. The one I have used for years and always came back for. It is so good that when I go back to it after an intermission trying something else, my husband often comments on how "pretty my eye makeup looks". It is always the mascara. It volumizes a lot. I never got comments when wearing other mascaras!
I have noticed that it is not the best at holding curl, but does not weigh the lashes down either. So this is only a problem if you have those downward facing lashes. I never had a problem.
This mascara, when it is good, never smudges, lasts through some tears and humidity, but comes of very easily at the end of the day.
When it is good it lasts me on average three months and then it starts smudging. It is very sad because it is at that point that the mascara really starts to look wonderful on the lashes, super volumizing, but it has to go to the trash because it smudges in a few hours. Please notice that I live in a very dry environment, so makeup dries up fast around here.
To me this reminds me of L'oreal's Lash Paradise, but I think Chanel gives me more volume still, certainly more length, and the Lash Paradise lasts me a month before starting to smudge. Since Chanel in Europe is still not 3 times more expensive than L'oreal, the Chanel option is the best buy for me.

I gave this only 4 stars because this review only applies to "when the mascara is good". This means that sometimes Le Volume will start smudging on me from the first week of use. I believe this has to do with the fact that some retailers sell really old products. So I have to worry about this, which is not ok.

My comparison to other mascaras, in case you are curious
Benefit roller lash - Benefit never ever smudges, holds the curl, volumizes less, separates more, lengthens more. Love it. Benefit is hard to take of. Slightly less omph than Le Volume though. Similar thoughts with They're real. A tube lasts 3 months. I use these when I want a bit of a water proof action, since Le Volume waterproof is HORRIBLE.
Chantecaille faux cils - Amazing mascara. Similar effects, or even better with the microfibres. Much worse packaging than Chanel. Lasts me 5 months. Will not smudge ever. This is an option, if you can tolerate the packaging which breaks within a week and the price.
Too Faced better than sex - Smudges every.single.time. Otherwise, beautiful when applied.
L'oreal and Maybelline mascaras (all) - some better than others, but all give less volume and impact.
Cover girl (US) clump crusher/MaxFactor(Europe) false lash, clump defy- like Benefit mascaras, these give better separation and lengthening. beautiful, but less volume than Le Volume. Less impact. Never smudge.
Clinique, Dior, Lancome, Estée Lauder mascaras - the ones I tried were all average. Lancôme hypnose was the best of the bunch, but worse than Chanel Le Volume.

on 4/25/2014 6:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is by far the best mascara in the world.

First review April 25/14:

I bought this yesterday hoping it would be as wonderful as reviewers said it was. Still looking for a perfect mascara, I spent the $41.44 willingly. Well, although it's good, it's not perfect for me. I can see how it could be if someone already had long lashes. It was said to work with only one coat, but it didn't.

Pros:
- very black
- nice consistency
- not as spidery looking as 3 coats of other mascaras
- does a better job than most products on lower lashes
- brush is easy to use
- lashes can be built up carefully without looking too fake

Cons:
- one coat does not do the miraculous job it did for some people
- it did flake when I put it on, but after wiping off the flakes it didn't flake again
- didn't make my lashes spectacular or extra long
- costs as much as ten regular mascaras on sale

I'm giving this 4 stars because it is the best mascara I currently own, better than Diorshow Iconic Overcurl which cost almost as much.

Edit May 6, 2014: I have since tried out numerous new mascaras including Hypnose Star, and they were all failures compared to this. I may not find this to be perfect, but it is better than everything I've tried so far. It's just not the ultimate.

Edit May 18, 2015: I am upgrading this to holy grail status. After one year this is still working, not dried out, and gives me stunning lashes. Thus it is better than my previous HG, Miss Manga, because that one dries out after a few weeks.

I have bought several mascaras since this including some new releases which were dry right out of the package. I can't believe how this one has held up.

As for my new mascaras, I just use them for a base if I bother with them at all. I get mile long lashes after applying Le Volume De Chanel, and they do not look spidery or fake. But the main thing is how it is still like the day I bought it. It has not dried out at all!

Update Aug. 10/15:

Time for another update. Having realized that this is the best mascara I've ever used, I looked it up, and I bought this on April 24, 2014. Today it works better than the day I bought it - I compared pictures and it was great then but it has improved with age. It literally makes all my other mascaras except Hypnose total shams. (Hypnose is almost as good. Not quite because it does not last as long, but I would say results are comparable).

I don't know why it got shoved to the back of the drawer so often and I assumed it would be old and not work. I don't know why I wasted money on everything new that came out, which really were substandard or barely good enough brands. Who even wants a 3-star or 4-star mascara and yet I accepted them and tried to make them work. Yesterday and today it gave me Elizabeth Taylor lashes with two coats. In fact one coat looked fine but I wanted to see how far I could go before they got spidery. They never did even with 3 coats. It didn't smudge or flake and it looked like a natural double row of lashes. Even after wearing it ten hours, it looked like I just applied it. Everything you love in a mascara, it has. Everything you hate, it doesn't have. PS It was worth the $41.44 I paid in April 2014. I spent more than that on three recent mediocre brands. Oh yes, it doesn't irritate my eyes either (as some do), and it doesn't get on the lids and have to be wiped off. For a mascara not to dry out in the tube is unheard of, so its packaging also deserves 5 stars.

Update Sept. 26/15: I am absolutely stunned that this still goes on wet and I only need two coats to look perfect. If I could rate this 10 stars, I would. It just shows that maybe I rated other products too highly. This literally makes a mockery out of every other mascara I have. This is the only one EVER that never dried up and became clumpy with age. This is like the day I bought it, a year and a half ago. Six years ago I loved Diorshow Blackout. It dried up and it flaked and gave me spider lashes. I can't even compare Chanel Le Volume to anything else and if I ever buy another brand it will only be out of curiosity. Everything else I own just sits there in the drawer. I have no need to use anything else.

Update Jan 25/16: Yes, it still works well, but it's creepy for me to keep using a mascara this ancient. I have to retire it - it's almost two years old! Hygiene is important! One day I'll buy another but for now I'm fine with cheaper ones that are new.

Update Mar 9/16: I stopped using most of my eye products because of chronic eyelid irritation. I had to get new ones and test them one at a time for reaction. I use a mascara for only 3 months to be sure there is no chance of bacteria build up. If I get a reaction it is from the ingredients in the product. I'm just using the cheap brands that don't break me out so it's goodbye to lush, perfect and wonderful lashes from Chanel, but I can't be paying $41 every 3 months.

Update Apr. 4/16: I thought I threw this out but I didn't, so I tried it again. It still works perfectly 2 years after I bought it. I compared it to all the ones I bought recently and it's better than all of them. (I take pictures comparing products, going back 4 years). Amazing. Is it chock full of bacteria after 2 years? I don't know, but I have no eye irritation from it. Every time I praise one of the other brands for volume I only have to compare it to this and realize they do not really measure up. They are good enough if I don't want to spend $41 on a mascara. That's the only reason I don't live on this.

Update Aug 25/16: I finally threw this out. I don't use mascara anymore and when I do, it will be a brand new tube.

Update Feb 26/18: I just started using a new tube after my last skin irritation from a Maybelline product healed. I was startled by how long, black and thick this made my lashes. You only need one or two coats. It's stunning.

on 11/10/2017 11:34:00 AM

This review is for the bluish black mascara, but it applies to all of the colors, since the formulation is also a factor. Note: I am a mascara snob and connoisseur. Pale lashes, fine but lots of them. Also note: Chanel online is the best makeup you can buy, since they allow free returns without any sort of hassle. The return sticker is in the packaging, so you don't have to contact them (ugh, MAC!), and they return via UPS, meaning I can leave it out on my patio and not make an extra trip to USPS.

Color:
The BLUISH BLACK IS HOLY GRAIL. You. Must. Try. It. You can return it, easily, if you hate it. But you won't. If you have redness around your eyes, ruddiness in your skin tone, or are just fair--you must try it. You will thank me, I promise! It does not appear blue, at all. Indeed, it is more natural on me than black (too dark) or brown (too warm). This mascara has changed my entire makeup look, and I am desperate for them not to ever discontinue it, which is why I am writing this review. Other colored mascaras either have a crappy formulation/brush, or they are bright blue. This one reads subtle black on me, and it is the only mascara that does not make me look like an 80's punk rocker, or a piglet with red eyes. Oh, how I love it so. <3

Formulation:
Stellar. It is very thick, yet it applies evenly with a gloss, and it does not cause my lashes to look stiff or spidery. I don't need to use upper lid liner with this mascara, because it makes my lashes look thick enough without it.

Desert island, one product=this.

Edit/Update: this still= Best. Mascara. Ever. I tried the Faux DC YSL dark blue color for awhile, which is also great. However, I think this comes out on top. Even though I usually hate this kind of “hard” brush, it is the one mascara I’ve tried, ever, that does not require me to “work the brush.” In other words, I don’t have to manually manipulate the brush to give the look I desire. Somehow, it chunks, yet separates, my lashes into the ideal configuration, on its own—with just a normal brushing motion from me. I was analyzing selfies and realized I look prettier when I wear this. My lashes look thick and lush, and it improves my face. What’s funny is I recall a friend I had in 8th grade (30 years ago!) looking much prettier than usual one day, and she said it was b/c she used this mascara! That sticks out to me, b/c it was pricey for an 8th grader. However, even then, I was mascara obsessed, and used Dior Show, which has since (unfortunately) changed the brush (and formula?). Anyway, I just recall what a difference it made on her, and that’s still true, apparently!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I wear corrector, TM, a little powder, blush, lippie, and mascara. All the time. I find that, at my age, I look better with less makeup. So, I spend more money on skin care. Except for mascara. I have used Le Volume de Chanel for many years. In my opinion it is the best mascara on the market, bar none.

It is the only mascara that lets me apply two coats (at least) without a clump. No cleaning excess from the brush, no combing through, no problem. My lashes are never stiff, it doesn't flake or smudge.
I put it on in the morning, and it still looks great at day's end.

It's expensive. And it's worth every damn penny. Eat ramen if you must, but buy it.

on 10/16/2016 7:34:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I got to try a sample of the chanel le volume when they released the darkest black (ultra-noir)
i was very impressed with the volume and curl it gave, but within hours i had black mascara under my eyes. This happened every time i used the sample.
I enquired at the makeup counter whether this was a common problem with the mascara, or just the sample. The sales lady said a few people had complained about the samples but believed the full size should be okay. I was contemplating for some time whether to purchase the large size as i absolutely loved the dramatic volume i was getting with the sample.
My husband ended up buying me it for Xmas.
After many months of using this mascara off and on, i can no longer stand it. EVERY time i use it i end up with black transfer under my eyes, and not the volume i was getting with the sample. i have been hoping it would dry a little, and give me the volume the sample did, but unfortunately this is not the case. I shouldn't have to check in the mirror all the time to see if i have mascara running under my eyes. Now, I do admit to being a mascara junkie, but unfortunately Chanel le volume would be the worst for transferring, and removal is the hardest of all my mascaras. There are so many good mascaras that give great volume without the dramas this one gives, for a third of the price.

on 5/6/2016 8:22:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

***Update:
I hate doing this after I've rated a product so well, but after some further use of this mascara, save your money and go elsewhere! After a few applications of use I find the formula just doesn't work the same. I'm sticking with my HG max factor 2000 calorie mascara and something I always go back to - Lancôme hypnose.

Hands down the best mascara I have ever used, and I've used all the good ones!! Never fails to perform, giving me the false lash look but without the false effect if that makes sense. Only issue is it dries quickly in the bottle for such a pricey item. For anyone who is wondering, max factor 2000 calorie is very similar to this. Don't bother with Lancôme hypnose, too much fall out. I will continue to buy tho, it's that good.

I cannot begin to tell you how great this mascara is for small, thin lashes. I have tried most everything from Dior and Lancome, to Mac and many others. Chanel is in another league...really. Im hoping to marry this mascara, that is how much I love it.

on 11/21/2013 1:58:00 PM

One word.PHENOMENAL!! This mascara does everything.To let you understand I have no eyelashes without mascara. You know how you are advised to curl lashes before mascara, well I can't , because there's no way I can get my non existant lashes into a curler.With this mascara I have long , thick dark lashes. And this is only with a couple of coats.My lashes actually look like my own only longer.I don't look like I'm wearing a lot of mascara. If your lashes are long to begin with this could replace falsies.It seperates very well too.No clumping or flaking.Lovely black colour.I've used Dior blackout for years never believing anything could replace it but this may very well do just that.It's a wet mascara but it dries quickly.Packaging great too.There's a little click when you close the tube, so no air is getting in.Removes easily with my usual remover.I've tried all the high end brands over the years, but this is something else.Of coure it's not cheap , but hey.this is Chanel! This is worth every penny. Treat yourself, it's worth it!

on 11/15/2016 5:59:00 PM

HG mascara for me, gives me feathery, fluffy long lashes and I'm not particularly gifted in the eyelash department. The lashes are still soft after using it and it never flakes on me. I bought it for years, since I haven't found anything as good as this, but recently I discovered an almost as good dupe from L'Oreal. So I bought several tubes of that to have in case they discontinue it, but if that doesn't happen, I don't see why I need to pay 30 euros on the Chanel one.