CHANEL Le Volume De Chanel Mascara

Filtered by age: 56 & Over
CHANEL Le Volume De Chanel Mascara

4.1

Aqua, synthetic Beeswax, Paraffin, Stearic Acid, Acacia Senegal Gum, Triethanolamine, Butylene Glycol, Carnauba wax, Glyceryl stearate, Polybutene, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Sorbate, BHT, Tetrasodium EDTA, Ascorbyl palmitate, Tocopherol, ( /-, CI 75470, CI 77007, Ci 77163, Ci 77288, Ci 77289, Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499, CI 77510, Ci 77742, CI 77891, Mica).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I had a large sample size of this mascara. The brush is shaped like a spiked cudgel from GOT. I think the mascara is ok but not better than other mascaras that I have been using for awhile. It's a wet mascara that goes on with some minor clumps but does lead to volumized lashes after a couple of coats. It lasts well through a normal day and removes fairly easy. I just don't think it is better that my EL mascara or PTR lashes to die for which is $17 on Amazon.

on 4/14/2017 4:13:00 PM

i don't usually review but here goes. to be perfectly honest, this mascara is so amazing that i look like i'm wearing false eyelashes with one coats. i don't like that look so, for me, this might not be right. But i have to give it 5 stars because it is just amazing. i think if i learn to apply it properly i can get it to be perfect. it's amazing.

Perhaps i'll wear it for fun.......and apply 2 coats ;o)

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Love the product! Love the tube! Love the way it looks! I got this as a sample at Nordstrom, and this is the only mascara I want to use now. Lengthens, thickens, separates, and lasts! Also it's easy to remove. A winner!

on 9/23/2016 8:08:00 AM

I have thin light lashes..first I apply Dior white mascara..then apply volume Chanel..
My lashes look remarkable..

on 5/2/2016 9:29:00 AM

Been using this for over a year
It's the best
Lots of pigment
stays on all day
Thick coverage no gloppy mess
Have tried others but came back to Chanel

on 2/8/2016 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Can be very clumpy. Also significant flaking by the end of the day. Odd that I can find drugstore mascaras that work beautifully (such as Cover Girl Super Sized) but the expensive "premium" brands are crap. Ah, well, c'est la vie. And good for my wallet.

on 10/17/2015 8:37:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Update 6/3/16: dropping rating & packaging from 3 lippies to 1. A Chanel SA gave me a sample. I thought I'd see if my original review was fair. It was too generous. I detest this mascara. It clumps no matter how much I blot off. The brush is NOT for me. To say I hate this mascara is an understatement. I'd rather put all my makeup on and go with bare lashes than wear this.

Original review 10/17/15:So many good reviews and a lot cheaper than my HG Chantecaille Faux Cils. And, the Ultra Noir shade just released, which I thought might be the same as the much hyped Coal Noir UK bloggers were raving about just came out. Glad I went to NM to check it out. I compared the Noir and the Ultra Noir and there is a noticeable difference. The standard Noir looks like a grayish, brownish black next to the Ultra. I applied the Ultra to one eye and the Blue Night (?) to the other. Both lovely shades. Not sure if the clumpy, spikey result was the fault of the throw away applicators or just a clumpy formula. I wiped one throw away applicator with a tissue and one direct from the tube. No difference. The SA, who is a floater, so no particular allegiance to any brand said she herself like Chantecaille's mascaras much better. No buy for me.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I recently bought this product after obtaining a sample from the Chanel counter. It is the best ever mascara that I have ever used. It gives you lashes like they were false. I am extremely impressed with this and will definately be buying again.

on 4/27/2014 10:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

A couple of years ago a makeup artist gave me a tip for applying mascara, especially when it is new. After you remove the brush from the tube, blot off excess with a paper towel. While this sounded wasteful to me, but it turns out it is quite effective, especially with volumenizing mascaras. You still get the thickening effect but much less globbing.
I love the way it looks - it's so dark it makes my eyes pop. And I've never had a smearing problem. It comes of easily. It does flake a little upon application but I've never had any flaking problem later in the day.
I work for Macy's so I get it with my store discount. Otherwise, I don't think I would buy it again - it's too expensive.

on 4/25/2014 6:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is by far the best mascara in the world.

First review April 25/14:

I bought this yesterday hoping it would be as wonderful as reviewers said it was. Still looking for a perfect mascara, I spent the $41.44 willingly. Well, although it's good, it's not perfect for me. I can see how it could be if someone already had long lashes. It was said to work with only one coat, but it didn't.

Pros:
- very black
- nice consistency
- not as spidery looking as 3 coats of other mascaras
- does a better job than most products on lower lashes
- brush is easy to use
- lashes can be built up carefully without looking too fake

Cons:
- one coat does not do the miraculous job it did for some people
- it did flake when I put it on, but after wiping off the flakes it didn't flake again
- didn't make my lashes spectacular or extra long
- costs as much as ten regular mascaras on sale

I'm giving this 4 stars because it is the best mascara I currently own, better than Diorshow Iconic Overcurl which cost almost as much.

Edit May 6, 2014: I have since tried out numerous new mascaras including Hypnose Star, and they were all failures compared to this. I may not find this to be perfect, but it is better than everything I've tried so far. It's just not the ultimate.

Edit May 18, 2015: I am upgrading this to holy grail status. After one year this is still working, not dried out, and gives me stunning lashes. Thus it is better than my previous HG, Miss Manga, because that one dries out after a few weeks.

I have bought several mascaras since this including some new releases which were dry right out of the package. I can't believe how this one has held up.

As for my new mascaras, I just use them for a base if I bother with them at all. I get mile long lashes after applying Le Volume De Chanel, and they do not look spidery or fake. But the main thing is how it is still like the day I bought it. It has not dried out at all!

Update Aug. 10/15:

Time for another update. Having realized that this is the best mascara I've ever used, I looked it up, and I bought this on April 24, 2014. Today it works better than the day I bought it - I compared pictures and it was great then but it has improved with age. It literally makes all my other mascaras except Hypnose total shams. (Hypnose is almost as good. Not quite because it does not last as long, but I would say results are comparable).

I don't know why it got shoved to the back of the drawer so often and I assumed it would be old and not work. I don't know why I wasted money on everything new that came out, which really were substandard or barely good enough brands. Who even wants a 3-star or 4-star mascara and yet I accepted them and tried to make them work. Yesterday and today it gave me Elizabeth Taylor lashes with two coats. In fact one coat looked fine but I wanted to see how far I could go before they got spidery. They never did even with 3 coats. It didn't smudge or flake and it looked like a natural double row of lashes. Even after wearing it ten hours, it looked like I just applied it. Everything you love in a mascara, it has. Everything you hate, it doesn't have. PS It was worth the $41.44 I paid in April 2014. I spent more than that on three recent mediocre brands. Oh yes, it doesn't irritate my eyes either (as some do), and it doesn't get on the lids and have to be wiped off. For a mascara not to dry out in the tube is unheard of, so its packaging also deserves 5 stars.

Update Sept. 26/15: I am absolutely stunned that this still goes on wet and I only need two coats to look perfect. If I could rate this 10 stars, I would. It just shows that maybe I rated other products too highly. This literally makes a mockery out of every other mascara I have. This is the only one EVER that never dried up and became clumpy with age. This is like the day I bought it, a year and a half ago. Six years ago I loved Diorshow Blackout. It dried up and it flaked and gave me spider lashes. I can't even compare Chanel Le Volume to anything else and if I ever buy another brand it will only be out of curiosity. Everything else I own just sits there in the drawer. I have no need to use anything else.

Update Jan 25/16: Yes, it still works well, but it's creepy for me to keep using a mascara this ancient. I have to retire it - it's almost two years old! Hygiene is important! One day I'll buy another but for now I'm fine with cheaper ones that are new.

Update Mar 9/16: I stopped using most of my eye products because of chronic eyelid irritation. I had to get new ones and test them one at a time for reaction. I use a mascara for only 3 months to be sure there is no chance of bacteria build up. If I get a reaction it is from the ingredients in the product. I'm just using the cheap brands that don't break me out so it's goodbye to lush, perfect and wonderful lashes from Chanel, but I can't be paying $41 every 3 months.

Update Apr. 4/16: I thought I threw this out but I didn't, so I tried it again. It still works perfectly 2 years after I bought it. I compared it to all the ones I bought recently and it's better than all of them. (I take pictures comparing products, going back 4 years). Amazing. Is it chock full of bacteria after 2 years? I don't know, but I have no eye irritation from it. Every time I praise one of the other brands for volume I only have to compare it to this and realize they do not really measure up. They are good enough if I don't want to spend $41 on a mascara. That's the only reason I don't live on this.

Update Aug 25/16: I finally threw this out. I don't use mascara anymore and when I do, it will be a brand new tube.

Update Feb 26/18: I just started using a new tube after my last skin irritation from a Maybelline product healed. I was startled by how long, black and thick this made my lashes. You only need one or two coats. It's stunning.