Urban Decay NAKED Basics

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.5

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Like most palettes, I find myself using only some of the shades, and completely ignoring others. I don't use the far right-hand black shade. I don't wear black well, so this one has never been touched. But, I love the first 4 shades from left to right. The first 3 are good basic highlight and lid shades (the far left being shimmery and the other 3 are flat matte), and the 4th I use as a transition shade around my crease. The 5th brown color is unimpressive to me. The formula is highly pigmented, blends well, is buildable and holds up well throughout the day. I would not repurchase simply because I don't use the entire palette and I can find similar shades/dupes in singles for about the same price.

on 3/3/2017 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a must have eyeshadow palette!!!! Spectacular colors. Maybe look boring, but this is the basis for so many eyeshadow looks

This is the perfect All-in-1 travel eyeshadow palette for me. It's only missing a brush, but what are fingers for if you wash them before using, eh? You can create looks for office or clubbing, it's up to you what such a tiny palette can do. The shades have a medium pigmentation, but you can build them with layers, of course. A good point is you get mainly matte shades (except for the first one which represents a highlighter shade) and not a single shimmer shade. Plus, it's compact enough for traveling and you can skip your contour products, too. Just use the highlighter shade and a brown shade from this palette and you're ready to go. Oh wait, don't forget to try one shade for filling your eyebrows. Thank you, Urban Decay. I'd never thought that I would love a basic eyeshadow palette.

on 11/19/2016 7:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I guess it's about time I review this little palette now that i've hit pan on 3 shades (Venus, Foxy, W.O.S.).

The packaging is compact and made of sturdy plastic. It has a soft silicone coated feel and tends to get dirty easily. The mirror takes up the entire lid and is good quality and clear. The lid snaps shut with a secure click. The hinges are sturdy. I've dropped it a few times and never had an issue with either the shadows or the container breaking so I would feel safe traveling with it. The shadows are smooth and consistent. The pigmentation is in the moderate range with a small amount of powdery kick up and some fallout on the deeper shades.

Venus is a shimmery off white and is beautiful for the inner corner or browbone. I suggest mixing with Foxy or Walk of Shame if you don't like a lot of shimmer. It also can be used for a face highlight, esp. for very fair people (like me) who have a hard time finding one light enough.

Foxy is a creamy pale yellow matte. Commonly used as an under eye "banana" type powder, lid color, to set primer, or as a matte highlight shade. It is slightly too yellow for me to use to set my primer or undereyes but I do like it mixed with Venus for my browbone.

Walk of Shame (W.O.S.) is a pink based cream. This is the first shade that I hit pan on and the main reason for me to repurchase. I use this to set my primer and it's a very close match to my skintone. I'll grab this palette just for this shade even if i'm using another palette.

Naked 2 is a cool/neutral toned light brown. Good for light brows on its own or light/medium when mixed with Faint. I mix it with Foxy or W.O.S. for a transition shade or use it by itself.

Faint is a warm/neutral leaning mid-toned brown. Good for deeping the crease and outer V. Also good for brows.

Crave is an almost black. Its a touch lighter than a standard black shadow with hints of brown and gray. I usually use this one as a shadow liner or to smudge on the lashline.

While this palette can be used on its own, you won't be able to get much variety from your looks. I pretty much always pull in another palette to use along with this one. They weren't joking with the name, it truely IS a basic palette.

Everyone has a palette that's missing "something". Wether its a browbone, base, transition, or crease shade, this palette will have what you need to complete your look.

on 6/26/2016 10:13:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I originally bought this palette because I had not previously owned a Naked palette and wanted to see what the hype was about before committing to a larger purchase. I also ran out of my white/cream eyeshadows and needed that shade to help me transition and blend out darker looks... I'm not super pro with applying shadow, and having light shades helps me to clean up and blend out when something looks too dark.

These are great. The pigmentation is awesome and the shadow formula is creamy. I use Venus all the time on my brow bone and inner corner, and I love Foxy and W.O.S. for transitioning and fixing mistakes. There's not much fallout like you'd find with your drugstore shadows, and it's not hard to control where the colors are going. The best part though is that these shadows stay on all day without having to use primer. I absolutely love them, and especially Faint, which I use every day underneath my lower lashes. So pretty and worth the price!

on 4/13/2016 7:03:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I use this eyeshadow palette everyday for work. It stays on throughout the whole day, does not crease or fade at all. I usually put "W.O.S" on the lid, "Venus" on the brow-bone and inner eye corner, "Naked 2" in the crease as a build-up-shade and then "Faint" carefully on top of that. I finish off with "Crave" as eyeliner, so I basically use every shade except from the yellow tinted "Foxy".

It's not a cheap palette, but of course it is cheaper than the large Naked palettes (which i also own). I would still recommend it for people who usually don't spend much money on makeup. I bought it a long time ago, but the quality of the shades are just as good as back then. As I wrote, I use it everyday for work. You can also build up the shade and use it for parties and night-time.

The shadows feel very smooth on my lids, they does not have a scent and the pigmentation is crazy good. All of the shades except from "Venus" are matte shades. I believe they will look good on anyone, regardless of skintone, haircolor and color of the eyes, because they are so basic.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Isn't it interesting that some people consider this the warmer Basics palette while others think it's cooler than Naked2Basics? I didn't buy this palette for myself simply because I found it too warm and I also found the 3 light colours were almost identical once applied. So I passed on this when it was first released and was delighted when Naked2Basics was released and grabbed that one right away because it is absolutely the cooler assortment of the 2 in my opinion. But my daughter really wanted this palette so I bought it for her for a little treat. She is thrilled with it, so that makes it a "winner" for me and I would repurchase it - not for me but for her - when the time comes.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Love this palette. I resisted buying it for so long, although I've been interested in it for a while. I knew the name said "basics" but just looking at the colors I had no idea how it would produce a put together eye look. However, I finally pulled the trigger and decided to get this with a giftcard I got for Christmas. I figured if nothing else, it would be a good compliment palette to all my other Nakeds (which are lacking in the matte department).
Boy am I happy I did! It's exactly what I was looking for. I have tons of beautiful palettes: both TooFaced Chocolate bars, 3 Naked palettes, Lorac Pro... but I wanted something everyday and subtle that I could wear to work. I like to look put together at work, but very simple and basic.
This palette is PERFECT for that! I could not be more happy with it. I struggled for a while deciding if I should get this or the Naked Basics 2, but I finally decided on the original because it leans more warm toned which I think is more flattering on me. It's awesome as a quick "grab and go" palette for a rushed morning instead of having to plan out a look using a 10-12 pan eyeshadow palette. And every eyeshadow is just gorgeous on! So flattering. In terms of consistency, they are so buttery and pigmented! They go on like a dream, and blend out so beautifully. They honestly remind me of the Lorac eyeshadows.
I originally hesitated buying this palette because it was just that- "basic," and I heard so many reviews about it being very dupable and nothing special. The truth is, if you are looking for a great basics palette that is work appropriate and great for everyday, I highly suggest picking this up!!

Sure, I enjoy beautiful colors and glittery looks, but for everyday, turns out this is exactly what I was looking for. Well worth the money. The pigmentation is great, blendability and formula is great, and it's nice and tiny so it pops right into your makeup bag and is very portable. I took off one lippie for packaging only because it is kind of difficult to open, but that is my ONLY complaint. It pretty much has everything you could need. A black for liner or smoking out an eye look, a shimmery white for inner corner highlight or brow bone, a great brown for deepening the crease, a couple colors that are great for the lid, and a light brownish gray that is PERFECT for an allover crease/transition color.
This palette was intimidating to me at first, because I had no idea what sort of looks it would create based on the colors (which honestly look really dull and boring) but they truly come out so beautifully once applied.
If you are like me and love makeup but want something subtle and professional for your weekday makeup looks, I think this palette is a great investment.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

This pallet is sure a must-have. Colors, pigmentation and the application is excellent.
Only if there were more product in one layer in termes of the weight, my only concern is consuming the bright shades fast.

on 11/18/2015 11:37:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I'd never been tempted to splurge on an eyeshadow palette before, but I'm so glad I bit the bullet and bought the UD Naked Basic palette. I have pale skin, pale brows, warm skin tone and dark circles under my eyes that are hard to cover completely.... basically a nightmare combination, but some how this palette brings out the best in my eyes and is enormously flattering.
Firstly, the formula of these shadows is amazing - I only experience mild creasing after about 8 hours of wear (I use a Laura Mercier eyeshadow primer, as I have oily lids), and I can easily blend the creases out with my finger. They are buttery and easy to blend - however, the intensity of colour can really be amped up or down depending on what brushes you are using - for a natural daytime look, I'll use all the shades but apply the darker ones using a Laura Mercier Pony tail brush (for a sheer, lightweight coating of colour), and use an eyeliner brush to line my upper lash line and the corner of the lower lash line in the very darkest colour ('Crave'). The colours look very pale in the pan, but the sahde 'Flirt' is surprisingly intense on the skin, so do test them out first. The matte formula is comparable to Laura Mercier and Mac shadows, and far better than Bobbi Brown (which I find chalky and hard to blend).
Secondly, I've found using a palette has simplified the process of eye contouring - a concept I've always shied away from for various reasons (not knowing what shades to use or how to apply). A little online research and I'm now a lot more confident in applying shadows to make the most of my eye shape, as well as achieving definite make up 'looks'.
The only downside is that UD don't sell any of the colours as refills - I can imagine I will use some colour more than others, so instead of refilling the empty ones, I'll have to buy a whole new palette. Also, it would be a lot more eco friendly for the company to allow the palette case to be reused and refilled.
I'm keen to try the Becca Ombre Nudes palette next, and perhaps the Dior backstage eye reviver palette.
I'd say the palette is more neutral than warm but good for skins with yellow undertones, and the Basic 2 palette looks cooler and pinker (which would bring out my under eye shadows in not time).
This is the first time I've used Urban Decay products, and I'm very impressed - far superior quality than that of some pricier brands I have tried.