Urban Decay NAKED Basics

Filtered by skin type : Normal
Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.4

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

My friend bought this palette for me on my birthday since I am a big fan of urban decay shadows (I own naked 1 and 2). This palette does not disappoint. The pigmentation is smooth and lasts all day with my NYX HD primer underneath (although I believe it's being discontinued, not quite sure). When I first got it, I used to wear it on the daily to work and school but I did stop because I thought most of my looks looked the same. The only con I have with this palette is that the shade "foxy" is terrible to work with. It's chalky and difficult to blend with. Other than that, it's a great neutral palette for everyday and the packaging is sturdy and compact.

Update: I do find some of the darker shades a bit patchy to blend out, and that's why I knocked down a lippie.

on 11/9/2015 12:55:00 AM

My first experience using this palette fell flat. I didn't get the wowzers experience from a company that has been getting raves for years about the Naked line. It didn't take me long to come around to a more minimalist mindset on beauty, however, as I've been longing for the effortlessness of French actresses like Marion Cotillard and fashion editors like Emmanuelle Alt.

Now I use this palette everyday. Foxy and W.O.S I use to even out the complexion on my eyes, and then Naked 2 gets buffed into the crease to create a barely-there shadow. Then it's a little mascara and I'm out the door. I think my current minimalist eyeshadow routine may be more to humor a girl whose used to a more elaborate eye design, because really... no one can tell the difference. Except me, and that's all that matters. ;)

For a night out, I like to use the darker eyeshadows to add depth. But all matte is still boring as f*** so I always have a shimmer/satin shadow to layer over the look. Clinique CSD is my go-to.

on 9/29/2015 1:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't have any of the original UD naked palettes but I bought this as my travel eyeshadow palette. It has all the colours of need for eyes and eyebrows. Overall I do like it. I think I like MAC eye shadows better than UD as I find that there is less fall down. But overall good palette and great slim case for travel!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

YASSSSSS! Finally, some mattes! I love this warm-toned neutral naked palette. I love to mix these shades with the original Naked palette to get more daytime, matte looks that don't OD on shimmer. My one complaint is that the lightest shade in this palette is a leeeeeetle too yellow for my taste. Doesn't work great on my skin tone, but it's good for those with more warmth in their skin. Other than that, A+!

on 5/8/2015 7:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is a guru classic for a reason, providing a decent amount of a range of colors in useful amounts. If you don't like any one color, it's not like you've invested in a full pan; if you're into combination "looks" the mix of choices will be useful. I like this because I tend to migrate towards light or neutral matte eye looks, so the colors fill needs I already have. I can use a dab of Venus to brighten my inner eyes, or some Crave to enhance my eyeliner; combining the inner colors, especially Walk of Shame and Naked 2, gives me a good range of daytime looks for pale skin. The pigmentation means I don't have to fuss too much to get even coverage, and the fineness of the powder makes it easy to blend out or into another color. I'd highly recommend this for almost any user of eyeshadow who fits any of the above criteria.

on 3/7/2015 1:14:00 AM

This is one of my "work horse" products. It doesn't look exciting or glamorous, but I use it at least four times per week. I LOVE this palette. Here's why:

Packaging - Excellent
Sturdy but lightweight. The mirror is huge for the palette size. The case snaps firmly shut, and even takes a little extra pulling to open the first few times.

Price - Excellent
The math works out to a little over $5 per shadow - a bargain.

Quality - Excellent
These are soft, highly pigmented shades. Some don't like UD matte shadows, claiming they are too dry. This isn't a problem for me. If you are (understandably) gun-shy about this, swatch it in the store, or even dab some on your eyelid. I get that, for the price, you want it to be a palette that works with your skin.

Shadows - Amazing
Venus is a lovely shimmer highlighter with a slight yellow tint. In a pinch, I use it on my face as a highlighting powder, applying with my finger.
Foxy and W.O.S. (walk of shame) are good matte lid colors and blending shades, Foxy being warmer and W.O.S. being on the cool side. I use them both.
Naked 2 is a cooler matte tan, perfect for blending into the crease or softening darker shades. This is my favorite color in the palette.
Faint is a gorgeous matte milk chocolate brown. It blends well with most browns, and warms up the greyer ones (important for me, since I have yellow undertones - cool shades can make me look dead).
Crave is a beautiful matte black that can work alone, blended out into a grey, or crank up the depth of any shade you have. It's also my go-to smokey eye black shade.

Less experienced/mature makeup lovers may look at this palette and go, "Boring!" But they aren't seeing its incredible versatility and beauty. Naked 2 and Faint are great brow powders - throw on a bit of brow wax or Vaseline, gently fill in, and your brows will look shapely and neat. Taking this palette along on a trip means you already have your brow powder, highlight shade, and black in one small package.
More on versatility: Take any "scary" shade you might want to try - bright yellow, green, or red, for example. You can use Naked Basics to crank up the glam or make it wearable. One of my favorite ways to use this palette is to take a gorgeous warm shimmer shade (a Milani gel shadow, or my favorite, Coppering by MAC) and blend it into a wearable warm look with Foxy on the lid, Naked 2 in the crease, and a touch of Crave in the outer corner. Yesterday I deepened a purple look (MAC Haux and Cranberry) with Crave, and used Venus as a highlight.
For an elegant no-makeup look, use Foxy on your center and outer lid, Venus on the inner third including the corner, blend Naked 2 in your crease, and softly line with Faint.
The possibilities are endless.
I haven't tried Naked Basics 2; as I said before, cool toned shadows aren't flattering on me, but you cooler toned folks may find it as amazing as I find NB1. I use this so much more than my other Naked palettes, and ALWAYS use it to supplement them when I do.
This palette is varied without being overwhelming, and it will actually help you get more wear out of your other eyeshadows. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

on 3/2/2015 9:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Luv this palette. Even though the colours are VERY basic, the quality is top notch. Pigmentation and staying power is terrific. I only wish there were a couple of additional colours to play with to have more variety, then it would reach holy grail status.

I own several neutral palettes but reach for this one a lot.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is a good basic palette i use it for a natural everyday look or paired with my single eyeshadows as it gives all the basic shading colors.

Its not crazy pigmented but its good pigmentation and its easy to work with.

A great small sized palette that is easy to travel with too.

on 2/4/2015 9:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This Naked Basic is a HG for me. I've had it for over a year, and I still love it as much as whe I first bought it. On its own, the look is polished and natural, and so office friendly. Paired w brighter colors, it helps to create wearable fun looks. I'm a neutral eye kind of girl so this palette is right up my alley. The quality of the powder IMHO is fantastic - smooth, pigmented, blendable, (not patchy at all). Never thought I'll ever buy the same eyeshadow palette again, this will be the first.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I love this palette! I am definitely someone who loves neutral and natural eyeshadow and this is the perfect palette for that!
I own the original naked palette and while I still love that, I felt like it could have done with more matte shades, and this is where this palette comes in. All but on shade (the lightest) is matte.

I'm very fair skinned and I love how all the shades look. The pigmentation is pretty amazing, especially in the 2 darker shades, I find them pretty easy to blend and work with.

The packaging is amazing. It's sleek and compact with a fairly decent size mirror. The colours are by no means original or amazing, but having them all together in such a handy palette is the main reason I love this and reach for it pretty much everyday.

100% would recommend