Urban Decay NAKED Basics

Filtered by skin type : Dry
Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.3

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Isn't it interesting that some people consider this the warmer Basics palette while others think it's cooler than Naked2Basics? I didn't buy this palette for myself simply because I found it too warm and I also found the 3 light colours were almost identical once applied. So I passed on this when it was first released and was delighted when Naked2Basics was released and grabbed that one right away because it is absolutely the cooler assortment of the 2 in my opinion. But my daughter really wanted this palette so I bought it for her for a little treat. She is thrilled with it, so that makes it a "winner" for me and I would repurchase it - not for me but for her - when the time comes.

on 7/12/2015 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Naked Basics is probably one of the best palettes Urban Decay has to offer. Why they don't focus on producing more matte shades is beyond me, because these aren't bad and work better than a lot of shimmers in the Urban Decay permanent line.

The palette itself is very sturdy and closes tightly. You don't have to worry about this one opening up without warning and getting all over everything in your purse or kit. It also comes with a mirror, though, it gets dirty after use.

Being that it is Urban Decay, there is a shimmer shade in Venus, but it's light enough and in my experience, does not produce any fall out. It's particularly good for applying to the inner eyes to brighten and widen, especially for those of us with eyes that are close together. It does a solid enough job of that.

The two "nude" shades of Foxy and W.O.S. are nice, as it provides options for both pink undertones and yellow undertones, and are versatile enough to be used on either skintone. The pigmentation on W.O.S. was a little more difficult for me to work with than Foxy (which I also used to set concealer as it worked very well with my skintone.)

Naked2 is a lovely crease shade and probably the color I used the most. It's neutral and again, works for both skin tones nicely.

Faint is probably the best pigmented of the bunch and works well as either crease (especially for cut-creases) and outer v deepening.

Crave is my least favorite in the palette for several reasons: one, it's not pigmented well. As a black shade, it's not a true black (it tends to lean more charcoal/slightly gray) and is difficult to work with. As another reviewer suggested, this palette would be so much better had they removed the black shade and substituted with a darker brown.

The palette itself is probably the one I would recommend for anyone looking to upgrade and start a middle-to-high end collection of makeup. It's a great workhorse palette. I did not experience fall-out with it, but I also tend to take a lighter hand with eyeshadows in general and always tap my brush before applying. I would advise not getting the eyeshadows wet, as if you do spray water onto your brush and have to dip back in for more, the shadows do not take well to being wetted and the colors in the pan "warp" a bit.

I did not have the issue of the eyeshadows becoming muddied, though, it may fade in pigmentation throughout the day if you don't wear a good base or primer. I would also question how this would fare on darker skintones, seeing as how some of the colors appeared ashy on <NC15 skin (W.O.S.). I do not intend on repurchasing it as while it's not the worst product, it's not a product I have a need for in my collection. I would rather invest the money on an individual palette and pick all colors that work for me, but for an individual palette, this is a solid choice.

Pros:

- Great neutral matte formula
- No fall-out
- Offers nude shades for both yellow and pink undertones
- Great multi-tasking product (I used Foxy to set my concealer, for example)
- Sturdy packaging that would hold up in traveling
- (For those that like it), does contain one shimmer shade

Cons:

- Pigmentation can fade throughout the day if not primed/applied to base
- May not work well on POCs
- Crave has mediocre pigmentation and would work better with a dark brown shade
- (For those looking for one), it is not an all-matte palette; does contain a shimmer shade
- Do not take to being wet very well in the pan

on 7/6/2015 8:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

i bought this palette because i really loved the naked2 basics, and i actually prefer the original now. i either use it on its own or in conjunction with other eyeshadows, and it's great for a very toned-down look, or for a smokey eye. i wouldn't use it every day, i like colours too much! but i enjoy it for those days when i want to play up other parts of my face and leaves the eyes almost bare but with a bit of definition. do recommend!

on 6/19/2015 11:36:00 AM

My every day go to palette. I love this and if they made a full size naked palette in all matte shades I would be all over it! The only shade that has some shimmer to it is the first one, but I love it and it's great to use as a brow highlight. I could honestly live without the last black shadow (crave) because black shadows are a dime a dozen, but I still use it on occasion. Favorite shade in the palette by far is "naked2" and I really wish they sold it as a single because I'm probably going to run out of it soon. All around great palette for natural shades, can be used for day time and night time looks. Love it!

on 3/30/2015 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

i love mattes and i love neutrals - this is the perfect combo! all of these shades work very well together but the shade i use the most is definitely WOS for when i'm too lazy to do a eyeshadow look but i still want my lids to look awake. i wish UD sold WOS as a single, though. :( but, these are still some very nice pigmented eyeshadows. i've had no problems blending them with a base color underneath.

on 3/5/2015 8:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

What I like most about this palette is that it's portable and better quality than drugstore. For the price of $27 I wish I loved it more. Overall I've come to learn that I enjoy my Lorac Pro 2 and Too Faced Chocolate Bar palettes more than my UD Naked and Naked Basics Palette. I just find that the shadows are slightly more dry than I prefer. My skin is very pale right now, about NC15, and the 3 lightest shades don't really show up on my skin that well or make much of a difference. I have Virgin (the shimmery shade) in the Naked palette as well and I don't love it as a highlight, although I still use it out of convenience, but its a little too white metallic shimmery for me. The taupe gray, brown, and black shades are absolutely fabulous in pigmentation and pretty much make up for the disappointment in the lighter three shades. I use the black shade to set my L'Oreal gel liner and it never irritates my water line. The darker shades have great lasting power. This palette isn't something I would repurchase because I like to try out new things but if you LOVE UD shadows this would be something nice to try. My suggestion for how to make this palette better would have been to include a very light matte highlight shade and swapped out either foxy or w.o.s. for a neutral shimmery lid shade.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Honestly, I've used drugstore eyeshadows better than this. I usually don't wear eyeshadow, but do every now and then when I'm bored and have extra time to get ready, or want to look extra nice for a dinner/event or for whatever reason. My main problem with this was the fallout. It was ridiculous, and made a huge mess. It was rather chalky too, making it difficult to blend seamlessly. If I wear eyeshadow, I want it to look great. This stuff had great reviews online and on YouTube. I've even seen girls use tutorials using this and it looks great ? I have good makeup brushes and everything, so I know that can't be the problem. Maybe I got a bad one ? Lol but when other people describe this palette im like, "are we talking about the same product !?" because this stuff is dry, chalky, and a total mess to use. The fallout is just so wasteful. It's a shame, because I love the concept of this palette, and I love other urban decay eyeshadows ? Just wasn't a hit for me. You can't go wrong with the urban decay naked palette, though. If you're looking for a great nude eyeshadow palette go for the naked or naked 2 palette.

I just got this palette I have had the basics 2 and the full naked 2 and 3 for a while and I love all of them. Needless to say this did not disappoint , all the colors are beautiful for everyday and they blend so smooth and stay on forever. I love UD eyeshadow and I will buy more of them. I would most defiantly repurchase this palette also.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I just bought this today and tried it out as soon as I got home. LOVE. To try all the colors, I started out with a barely there, natural look and built up into a smoldering, smokey eye. The powders are creamy, pigmented, easy to blend, and the staying powder is amazing. (I still use a primer though because my lids are oily). The colors are beautiful neutrals and virtually mistake proof. You can easily use any color with other satins, frosts, metalics, etc. And even though the compact is a little expensive, it's going to last a long time. Highly recommend this for a whole range of looks!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I've gone through so many "neutral" makeup palettes in my day... and let me tell you, save yourself the trouble and get one of the Naked Basics. I was hesitant to purchase the full Naked palette because of its price, since I knew I wasn't going to use all of the colors, but I got the Naked Basic right away. There are 6 very wearable, natural colors that work with all skin tones and looks. The shadows themselves are wonderfully textured and pigmented, and blend beautifully. If you're more into the natural eye look than crazy colors, this is the only product you should invest in, because it's worth every penny.