Urban Decay NAKED Basics

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.4

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 10/7/2017 1:43:00 PM

I just purchased my second Naked Basic -- in the last week, I've hit pan on Faint, Naked 2, WOS, and will hit it on Foxy soon -- I'll bust into the second one when I use up those four shade, so I felt it was appropriate to finally review this thing.

I don't necessarily care for Venus (the shimmer shade), because I love an all-matte look, but I can use it as a face highlight -- I have warm-toned fair skin.

Naked Basics is perfect for everyday use, as well as for travel. I can do any neutral look that I want and I can use a little bit of Faint(brown) to fill in my eyebrows.

I usually set my primer with Foxy, use Naked 2 as a transition, crave in the crease, and then apply WOS on the lid for some brightening. I will also take this to an evening look using a small amount of the black (crave) into the crease.

IMO, the only drawback to this palette is that most of the colors wouldn't necessarily show up on deeper skin toes.

It was $29, when I repurchased; I think it was $27 when I got it in 2013. I've spent way too much money on so many eyeshadows over the last five years, but I ALWAYS go back to this palette.

It was one of my first eyeshadow palettes, bought it in 2013 and used religiously for a long time. I hit pan on three shades- Foxy, Naked and Faint. It's a very good beginner palette. The shadows blend nicely, you can create both subtle and dramatic eye look. They don't have a lot of fallout. But the pigmentation of two lightest shades could be better. I almost never used black shadow- to this day I avoid palettes with black or dark grey (I have very fair skin and can't really pull off intense smoky eye).
Now I'm a fan of bold, bright eyeshadows (hello, UD Electric) and if I go for neutrals I reach either for Too Faced Natural Matte or Zoeva Cocoa Blend. I neglected my Naked Basics palette... I just prefer other palettes over it.

on 4/25/2017 9:31:00 AM

This was my first high end eyeshadow palette, and although I've used and still using it A LOT (that's why I would probably repurchase it), I totally HATE THE FALL OUT!!!!
I was so excited because it was my first UD Naked palette, so high end, so hyped, so "if you're a beginner you NEED THIS",... And then I always have to start with my eye makeup because of how much product falls on my face!!! I have a Make Up Revolution palette (the white chocolate one) and it doesn't have any fall out, I thought UD eyeshadows would be so much better!

Because of this I'm afraid of buying another Naked palette. I've heard Too Faced palettes have less fall out and they're cheaper than UD so... Maybe I'll look for them instead!

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

What a wonderful, practical little workhorse. I've been looking for a palette I can use for every day that works for different occasions and it's been surprisingly impossible. And I haven't had much luck with the larger UD Naked ones.

This one is just right!
PROS
-just right undertones. Not too cool, not too warm. Would work for almost everyone. Also a smart range of shades so it could be adjusted for lighter or darker skin tones.
-pigmented, yet easy to blend (unlike Kat Von D)
-lasts from 5am to 10pm without creasing. I do use a primer
-good value for the quality
-compact, sturdy almost rubbery case. Love It!
-easy to work a natural or dramatic look

CONS
-none that I can think of

So glad I found this. Great buy!

on 3/4/2017 12:03:00 AM

5 stars for this. Absolutely LOVE this palette. I've had it for a few years and no matter which new palettes I pick up, I always go back to this. It's a perfect size for traveling and the neutrals are so easy to use. The only thing I dislike is the packaging. The case is some type of matte rubber (similar to NARS) and it collects so much eyeshadow/dust. I'm considering depotting it into something else so my hands don't get eyeshadow on them every time I use it. Other than that, I don't mind the price (it's worth it!), and I will definitely repurchase when I'm done. I've already hit pan on W.O.S. and I will hit pan on Naked2 soon.

This is a really good palette. Love all the colors and the texture is really high quality.
I would prefer that the packaging was as pretty as the Naked 3, but that's not a big deal.

on 11/19/2016 7:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I guess it's about time I review this little palette now that i've hit pan on 3 shades (Venus, Foxy, W.O.S.).

The packaging is compact and made of sturdy plastic. It has a soft silicone coated feel and tends to get dirty easily. The mirror takes up the entire lid and is good quality and clear. The lid snaps shut with a secure click. The hinges are sturdy. I've dropped it a few times and never had an issue with either the shadows or the container breaking so I would feel safe traveling with it. The shadows are smooth and consistent. The pigmentation is in the moderate range with a small amount of powdery kick up and some fallout on the deeper shades.

Venus is a shimmery off white and is beautiful for the inner corner or browbone. I suggest mixing with Foxy or Walk of Shame if you don't like a lot of shimmer. It also can be used for a face highlight, esp. for very fair people (like me) who have a hard time finding one light enough.

Foxy is a creamy pale yellow matte. Commonly used as an under eye "banana" type powder, lid color, to set primer, or as a matte highlight shade. It is slightly too yellow for me to use to set my primer or undereyes but I do like it mixed with Venus for my browbone.

Walk of Shame (W.O.S.) is a pink based cream. This is the first shade that I hit pan on and the main reason for me to repurchase. I use this to set my primer and it's a very close match to my skintone. I'll grab this palette just for this shade even if i'm using another palette.

Naked 2 is a cool/neutral toned light brown. Good for light brows on its own or light/medium when mixed with Faint. I mix it with Foxy or W.O.S. for a transition shade or use it by itself.

Faint is a warm/neutral leaning mid-toned brown. Good for deeping the crease and outer V. Also good for brows.

Crave is an almost black. Its a touch lighter than a standard black shadow with hints of brown and gray. I usually use this one as a shadow liner or to smudge on the lashline.

While this palette can be used on its own, you won't be able to get much variety from your looks. I pretty much always pull in another palette to use along with this one. They weren't joking with the name, it truely IS a basic palette.

Everyone has a palette that's missing "something". Wether its a browbone, base, transition, or crease shade, this palette will have what you need to complete your look.

on 6/26/2016 10:13:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I originally bought this palette because I had not previously owned a Naked palette and wanted to see what the hype was about before committing to a larger purchase. I also ran out of my white/cream eyeshadows and needed that shade to help me transition and blend out darker looks... I'm not super pro with applying shadow, and having light shades helps me to clean up and blend out when something looks too dark.

These are great. The pigmentation is awesome and the shadow formula is creamy. I use Venus all the time on my brow bone and inner corner, and I love Foxy and W.O.S. for transitioning and fixing mistakes. There's not much fallout like you'd find with your drugstore shadows, and it's not hard to control where the colors are going. The best part though is that these shadows stay on all day without having to use primer. I absolutely love them, and especially Faint, which I use every day underneath my lower lashes. So pretty and worth the price!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Isn't it interesting that some people consider this the warmer Basics palette while others think it's cooler than Naked2Basics? I didn't buy this palette for myself simply because I found it too warm and I also found the 3 light colours were almost identical once applied. So I passed on this when it was first released and was delighted when Naked2Basics was released and grabbed that one right away because it is absolutely the cooler assortment of the 2 in my opinion. But my daughter really wanted this palette so I bought it for her for a little treat. She is thrilled with it, so that makes it a "winner" for me and I would repurchase it - not for me but for her - when the time comes.

I find this palette a little bit too cool for me, and the Naked2 Basics a little too warm - go figure. I actually mix and match both palettes quite often. The case is a nice size for travel.

Generally speaking, I like the selection of colours but feel the lightest few are too similar. I find this shadow a touch chalky and lots of fallout with a brush but works wonderfully with fingers (blends better and is longer lasting with fingers). I find the white a bit glittery.

Love the greyish/taupe and dark brown for filling in eyebrows more than any eyebrow product.