Urban Decay NAKED Basics

Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.4

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

The eyeshadows are very bendable, pigmented and a bit powdery.
The shade Venus is a shimmery (not glittery) white gold.
The shade Foxy is like Soft Ochre from MAC, great as a base eyeshadow especially if you have intense yellow undertones (I'm NC20).
W.O.S is like Painterly from MAC.
NAKED 2:It was more grey toned than I expected and same goes for Faint which was again more cool toned. The Faint eyeshadow is quite dark. I thought it would be a medium brown but on me it gives a smokey effect.
The star of show is the dark shade "crave". It's a deep super pigmented black that I apply it with no Fix Plus as a eyeliner.
I use this palette a lot and I think it was a good purchase. Personally I wish the shade Naked 2 had a bit warmer or at least neutral undertones, similarly to Matte Evans from the Balm pallete but I'm sure that not everyone would have the same preference.
I recommend this palette but I don't think it's a must have. If you already have a good matte black or ivory base eyeshadows then you probably don't need this palette because you can easily find a similar highlighting shade or the two browns in other more affordable palettes. Whereas in a palette like the Too Faced Chocolate bar palette I have never found another highlighter shade like the Champagne Truffle.

on 5/28/2018 2:03:00 PM

Personally I like it, it’s convenient fits in my make up bag, very pigmented as is all the UD shadows

on 5/27/2018 11:08:00 PM

Out of all the palettes I own (probably too many) I reach for this mini more than any of them. I didn't think I needed all the shades in the naked 2 palette when this has all I need for the perfect neutral look. When I travel this is typically the palette I pack because it's so small and takes up barely any space. When I'm darker in summer I use Naked 2 darkened up a bit with Faint as a transition shade, so I can see that this color scheme MIGHT not work so well for some darker tones.

I've even used the black shade as eyeliner in a pinch and it looked just fine and applied very opaque with setting spray. It's truly versatile, and right now it's on sale so I bought an extra for me and one to give my mom as a gift, this palette works for all ages!

on 5/23/2018 10:09:00 AM

i realize this is an unpopular opinion, but gosh i really hate this palette.

i bought this so i would have a nice, small, basic palette that i could use for a simple eye look. unfortunately, i was really disappointed. the 3 lightest shades (venus, foxy, walk of shame) do not show up on my eyelids at all. i might as well be using a plain powder. naked 2, the 4th shade, barely shows up as well.
the two darker shades, faint and crave, definitely do show up, but blend patchy and uneven, and look dry and crusty on the eyelids.

as for positives, the packaging is really nice and convenient, and looks pretty and sleek, however i definitely wouldn't recommend this. the quality of the shadows is no better than a 5 dollar palette from the drugstore, and this was pretty expensive.

on 5/12/2018 11:16:00 PM

I use this for my brows and everyday natural eyeshadow look plus theres a black to use as liner. Its blendable and just a great palette for boring but classic looks. Travel friendly and super easy to use if youre a beginner like me. im not very good with eyeshadows but this makes it nice and quick to do a look for all occasions. i got this on sale for about 15$. i think the urban decay naked palettes has fell off the grid because there are so many other alternatives and brands that are coming out with new palettes. that is the reason why i wouldnt repurchase. It is still very nice to have in the collection. I tend to only use the lighter shades of this palette so i think once i hit pan on those i will no longer need this. BUT, this palette has a special place in my heart because my bf bought this so id always love it.

on 4/8/2018 9:52:00 PM

This palette is a lovely, lovey combination of essential creamy matte shades for a "no makeup-makeup" days and the more "polished" type of looks and is very versatile day to night shadow palette. UD Naked Basic is suitable for the warm/neutral tones and absolutely the best of its kind that I've tried (and I've tried so many).

The reason for my low rating is due to the chalkiness of the matte shadows (it's very difficult finding matte shadows that are NOT chalky be it high or low end) and also because of ALUMINUM in all of its Naked shadow palettes. Talc is something I can forgive with eyeshadows, but ALUMINUM really has no place in cosmetics. I love Urban Decay, but will not buy their products until they put more effort into creating less toxic cosmetics.

on 3/13/2018 8:53:00 AM

A nice little palette to have; great for travel, everyday use and to use with other palettes. The shadows are a bit powdery and there is fall out, but they are also pigmented and blend well. The packaging is sturdy and compact.

on 2/14/2018 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Pros: excellent texture (creamy and smooth)
pigmented
blendable
Cons : except price (34CAD$ +) I cannot find any ...
The only reason I will not repurchase is because warmer tones suit me better, and this is rather cool tone.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I enjoyed this palette for the tones it offers. A great little travel palette. As a professional makeup artist however, I found that these shadows were quite crumbly and created quite a lot of fall-out, even after tapping off excess product multiple times. I think that the problem I find with most Urban Decay Eyeshadows, including the Naked 2 Palette that I also own, is that the formula is just too powdery and takes longer than it should to blend out. I didn't hate this palette but didn't love it either.

on 10/7/2017 1:43:00 PM

I just purchased my second Naked Basic -- in the last week, I've hit pan on Faint, Naked 2, WOS, and will hit it on Foxy soon -- I'll bust into the second one when I use up those four shade, so I felt it was appropriate to finally review this thing.

I don't necessarily care for Venus (the shimmer shade), because I love an all-matte look, but I can use it as a face highlight -- I have warm-toned fair skin.

Naked Basics is perfect for everyday use, as well as for travel. I can do any neutral look that I want and I can use a little bit of Faint(brown) to fill in my eyebrows.

I usually set my primer with Foxy, use Naked 2 as a transition, crave in the crease, and then apply WOS on the lid for some brightening. I will also take this to an evening look using a small amount of the black (crave) into the crease.

IMO, the only drawback to this palette is that most of the colors wouldn't necessarily show up on deeper skin toes.

It was $29, when I repurchased; I think it was $27 when I got it in 2013. I've spent way too much money on so many eyeshadows over the last five years, but I ALWAYS go back to this palette.