Urban Decay NAKED Basics

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.5

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Honestly, I've used drugstore eyeshadows better than this. I usually don't wear eyeshadow, but do every now and then when I'm bored and have extra time to get ready, or want to look extra nice for a dinner/event or for whatever reason. My main problem with this was the fallout. It was ridiculous, and made a huge mess. It was rather chalky too, making it difficult to blend seamlessly. If I wear eyeshadow, I want it to look great. This stuff had great reviews online and on YouTube. I've even seen girls use tutorials using this and it looks great ? I have good makeup brushes and everything, so I know that can't be the problem. Maybe I got a bad one ? Lol but when other people describe this palette im like, "are we talking about the same product !?" because this stuff is dry, chalky, and a total mess to use. The fallout is just so wasteful. It's a shame, because I love the concept of this palette, and I love other urban decay eyeshadows ? Just wasn't a hit for me. You can't go wrong with the urban decay naked palette, though. If you're looking for a great nude eyeshadow palette go for the naked or naked 2 palette.

on 8/25/2014 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Let me preface by saying I have never been a big fan of neutral mattes. They have never really done much for my green eyes, dark brown hair and fair cool complexion. I read so many great reviews on this palette that I thought it might change my mind. It didn't. These colors are far too warm for me, and there is nothing wow about them. The formula is nice and pigmented, but looks dry when used with the UD eye primer. Staying power is great. I find myself using the same 3 shades everyday, and it's just boring and doesn't do anything to bring out my eyes. I am giving two lippies though, because the color Venus is gorgeous and I will probably purchase it individually and give my mom this palette.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've had some time to work with this and compare it to other matte palettes. I do not feel it's worth buying. It's simply not a good matte palette for the price. Urban Decay is relying on the people who loved both Naked palettes to buy it. There are too many light shades, no variety of mid tone shades, and the darkest shadows are tough to work with (much like a stubborn MAC matte). That's because pigments can change the texture of a formula drastically. I don't doubt that some people love it because it's convenient for them, but I do doubt that they're using all of these shades on a regular basis. The Sonia Kashuk and Lorac Pro are better, the SK is cheaper, and both have more variety for your money. Some people have also mentioned their shadows are popping out of the pan, and this is a cheap plastic case for almost $30. They kept it at $27 because that price sounds better, but with taxes it's basically $30.

on 3/8/2013 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I do not get the hype for this. Yes, the colors blend and are pigmented....but I suppose I don't see the need for a "basics" palette when many people already own dupes of these colors or similar (if they want to admit it or not). I've got a plethora of similar shades from MAC, UD itself, Bobbi Brown, L'oreal, Too Faced and NYX which wouldn't justifiy spending money on this. It's tiny, to boot (although for travel it would work quite well). I would say for a true makeup VIRGIN this is a decent palette....for many beauty junkies I think it's an overhyped marketing scheme to persuade people into thinking they need these colors in one place. Boring, contrived, marketed towards lemmings, expensive for what it is.

on 12/10/2012 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I was one of those haters who criticized UD for all those damn shimmery colors in the 1&2 palettes. I remembered thinking if UD would make both those palettes with those EXACT same shades in all MATTE, I would be a fan. So when I heard about the UD Naked Basics palette in MATTE shades, I almost crapped my pants with excitement. I ordered it from UD.com.

But not so fast.

If you haven't noticed, there are only 6 colors. The palette is about the length of a pack of cigarettes and just a little thicker than a pencil, so it's very travel-friendly. The packaging has that same soft but terribly unhygenic rubbery feel like Nars's blushes. This is almost half the price of the other Naked palettes and it is supposed to be BASICS which I don't necessarily have a problem with. But look closer at the colors. Crave is your standard black, okay check (I think everyone should always have one black shadow in their MU stash). Naked 2 is a blending shade for the crease, okay got it. Venus is semi-matte, which is the one highlight shade - smart idea to include that, UD. So far so good.

Now, Foxy, Walk of Shame, and Faint. Here's where Urban Decay effed up. Foxy and Walk of Shame are two off white shades, one with a pink tone and the other with a yellow tone. I personally never use matte light shades like this but why does the palette need to have two? They don't even show up on most skin tones. I guess they serve as a blending color, but I still don't think this palette needed TWO. Then there's Faint. I was kinda investing a lot of hope in Faint, as I knew it was the darkest brown shade. I do a daily cut crease on my hooded eyes everyday, and I need a brown that is dark enough for my NC25-30 complexion. Well, Faint just doesn't quite cut it (no pun intended). It's only two shades or so darker than MAC Wedge. It's like a puny, weak brown. Actually, I would use Faint as the blending shade for a darker brown.

I was kinda hoping this would be the only set of shadows I needed. But unfortunately, I won't be using this as it makes me angry that there are TWO off white shades (once again, who uses these shades?!). I thought the stars of the Naked palettes were the unique array of browns and taupes, so where are they in this palette? If UD had replaced either Walk of Shame or Foxy with a dark, espresso brown shade, then this would be a complete palette for me.

But nice try, Urban Decay. Come back when you guys start pumping out more matte palettes with loads of beautiful matte taupes & browns, and then we'll talk.

on 7/12/2015 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Naked Basics is probably one of the best palettes Urban Decay has to offer. Why they don't focus on producing more matte shades is beyond me, because these aren't bad and work better than a lot of shimmers in the Urban Decay permanent line.

The palette itself is very sturdy and closes tightly. You don't have to worry about this one opening up without warning and getting all over everything in your purse or kit. It also comes with a mirror, though, it gets dirty after use.

Being that it is Urban Decay, there is a shimmer shade in Venus, but it's light enough and in my experience, does not produce any fall out. It's particularly good for applying to the inner eyes to brighten and widen, especially for those of us with eyes that are close together. It does a solid enough job of that.

The two "nude" shades of Foxy and W.O.S. are nice, as it provides options for both pink undertones and yellow undertones, and are versatile enough to be used on either skintone. The pigmentation on W.O.S. was a little more difficult for me to work with than Foxy (which I also used to set concealer as it worked very well with my skintone.)

Naked2 is a lovely crease shade and probably the color I used the most. It's neutral and again, works for both skin tones nicely.

Faint is probably the best pigmented of the bunch and works well as either crease (especially for cut-creases) and outer v deepening.

Crave is my least favorite in the palette for several reasons: one, it's not pigmented well. As a black shade, it's not a true black (it tends to lean more charcoal/slightly gray) and is difficult to work with. As another reviewer suggested, this palette would be so much better had they removed the black shade and substituted with a darker brown.

The palette itself is probably the one I would recommend for anyone looking to upgrade and start a middle-to-high end collection of makeup. It's a great workhorse palette. I did not experience fall-out with it, but I also tend to take a lighter hand with eyeshadows in general and always tap my brush before applying. I would advise not getting the eyeshadows wet, as if you do spray water onto your brush and have to dip back in for more, the shadows do not take well to being wetted and the colors in the pan "warp" a bit.

I did not have the issue of the eyeshadows becoming muddied, though, it may fade in pigmentation throughout the day if you don't wear a good base or primer. I would also question how this would fare on darker skintones, seeing as how some of the colors appeared ashy on <NC15 skin (W.O.S.). I do not intend on repurchasing it as while it's not the worst product, it's not a product I have a need for in my collection. I would rather invest the money on an individual palette and pick all colors that work for me, but for an individual palette, this is a solid choice.

Pros:

- Great neutral matte formula
- No fall-out
- Offers nude shades for both yellow and pink undertones
- Great multi-tasking product (I used Foxy to set my concealer, for example)
- Sturdy packaging that would hold up in traveling
- (For those that like it), does contain one shimmer shade

Cons:

- Pigmentation can fade throughout the day if not primed/applied to base
- May not work well on POCs
- Crave has mediocre pigmentation and would work better with a dark brown shade
- (For those looking for one), it is not an all-matte palette; does contain a shimmer shade
- Do not take to being wet very well in the pan

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

First off: hi, my name is Danielle, and I'm an Urban Decay junkie. That addressed, I have the worst kind of love-hate relationship with this specific palette, because I use the blasted thing almost every day...but only three out of six shades. Faint and Crave have all the power and pigmentation of chalk dust, and I haven't even acknowledged Foxy (my Naked2 palette told me all I needed to know about that yellow monster). However, Walk of Shame is seriously my Holy Grail blending shade, and I'm quite happy with Naked2 as a transition colour. So what it boils down to is, I paid a bomb for that pair, plus the lovely and talented highlighting shade Venus. Still cost less than three UD singles, but still...Walk of Shame is really the only one in there that gets me flailing like a fangirl. :/

on 11/18/2013 4:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

While this is a cute compact, the colors are nothing special. My Physician's Formula Canyon Classics compact offers more variety for $6.

on 7/11/2013 2:27:00 PM

I really liked the idea of this because I LOVE UD matte eyeshadows but the first three are basically identical and I never use black so I only liked two of the eyeshadows so I just returned it which is a shame because the staying power was amazing and I normally have trouble with that.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

While I love Urban Decay shadows, a majority of their shadows are more appropriate for wearing to nightclubs than in real life. Yes, this includes both Naked palettes. So I was intrigued that they finally clubbed (no pun intended) together a matte palette called Naked Basics.

There are 6 shadows in there, which was disappointing given their larger Naked palettes. On the other hand, only 6 shadows means it's a small, portable palette that can easily travel. Only two repeated shadows, which is pretty good for them. The shadow quality is excellent as usual: highly pigmented with smooth application. Since there's no glitter or sparkle, there's much less fallout than usual, which is VERY nice.

Venus: vanilla satin, and the only shade that isn't matte. Chalky, but I'm glad they didn't go for a matte white as that would have been too chalky. I'm also glad they didn't fall into their "Disco Ball" trap and add glitter.

Foxy: a repeat from one of the other Naked palettes. Yellowish and chalky on my skin, but it may work on lighter skin tones. Pass.

Walk of Shame: a repeat from the Build-Your-Own-Palette. A creamy neutral, a little chalky but not bad.

Naked 2: like Naked, but a touch lighter. This one is the best of them all: not too dark, not too light, not chalky or ashy at all. It looks fantastic on my skin tone.

Faint: hot chocolate brown. Good for the crease, or all over the lid on a bolder day.

Crave: dark brown-black. Too dark for my skin tone to use as a shadow, but it has potential as a liner. It could also work for a smoky eye.

Overall, not bad.