Urban Decay NAKED Basics

Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.4

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 12/10/2012 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I was one of those haters who criticized UD for all those damn shimmery colors in the 1&2 palettes. I remembered thinking if UD would make both those palettes with those EXACT same shades in all MATTE, I would be a fan. So when I heard about the UD Naked Basics palette in MATTE shades, I almost crapped my pants with excitement. I ordered it from UD.com.

But not so fast.

If you haven't noticed, there are only 6 colors. The palette is about the length of a pack of cigarettes and just a little thicker than a pencil, so it's very travel-friendly. The packaging has that same soft but terribly unhygenic rubbery feel like Nars's blushes. This is almost half the price of the other Naked palettes and it is supposed to be BASICS which I don't necessarily have a problem with. But look closer at the colors. Crave is your standard black, okay check (I think everyone should always have one black shadow in their MU stash). Naked 2 is a blending shade for the crease, okay got it. Venus is semi-matte, which is the one highlight shade - smart idea to include that, UD. So far so good.

Now, Foxy, Walk of Shame, and Faint. Here's where Urban Decay effed up. Foxy and Walk of Shame are two off white shades, one with a pink tone and the other with a yellow tone. I personally never use matte light shades like this but why does the palette need to have two? They don't even show up on most skin tones. I guess they serve as a blending color, but I still don't think this palette needed TWO. Then there's Faint. I was kinda investing a lot of hope in Faint, as I knew it was the darkest brown shade. I do a daily cut crease on my hooded eyes everyday, and I need a brown that is dark enough for my NC25-30 complexion. Well, Faint just doesn't quite cut it (no pun intended). It's only two shades or so darker than MAC Wedge. It's like a puny, weak brown. Actually, I would use Faint as the blending shade for a darker brown.

I was kinda hoping this would be the only set of shadows I needed. But unfortunately, I won't be using this as it makes me angry that there are TWO off white shades (once again, who uses these shades?!). I thought the stars of the Naked palettes were the unique array of browns and taupes, so where are they in this palette? If UD had replaced either Walk of Shame or Foxy with a dark, espresso brown shade, then this would be a complete palette for me.

But nice try, Urban Decay. Come back when you guys start pumping out more matte palettes with loads of beautiful matte taupes & browns, and then we'll talk.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

CLICK CONTINUE TO SEE SWATCHES AND COMPARISON WITH OTHER SHADES!

~~ SHADES ~~

VENUS:
A shimmery/shiny off-white with slightly warm undertone. No glitter, just kind of shiny.
DUPES: Virgin in Naked 1 and Bootycall in Naked 2 but less in-your-face-shimmery than both (they look similar when on, but different in the pan), UD Kinky except Kinky is matte.
USES: Wash over eyelid, highlight, base.
RATING: 4/5 this doesn't have the best pigmentation but I guess that wasn't the goal - I think it's purpose is to give a sheer sheen more than full on white.

FOXY:
A pale yellow matte, also included in Naked 2. Matches my skintone exactly, which is NC05 or NC10 - MUFE Mat Velvet in 15 matches me.
DUPES: I think this is a quite unique shade and I couldn't really come up with any dupes.
USES: Highlight, base, wash over eyelid, blending out darker shades and - for me - instead of concealer or for setting concealer, since it matches my skin tone and gives more coverage than a powder.
RATING: 3/5 not the best pigmentation, I love the shade though because it matches my skin tone and will reach for it often.

W.O.S: A matte pale pinky/rosy nude.
DUPES: Similar to Sin (included in Naked 1) without the shimmer. MAC Vanilla is lighter.
USES: Highlight (depending on your skin tone), base, wash over lid, to blend out darker shades.
RATING: 4/5 great pigmentation and nice shade but not something I would reach for.

NAKED 2: A matte cool taupe.
DUPES: The shade naked in Naked 1 is similar.
USES: Wash over lid, base for a brown smokey eye, blend out darker harsh lines, contouring - since this is cool it's very good for contouring of cheek bones and nose. Highlighting if you have a dark skin tone.
RATING: 5/5 this is so lovely because it works PERFECTLY for contouring if you are pale - it's not orange at all and light enough.

FAINT: A matte neutral (leaning cool) brown.
DUPES: MAC Espresso, Wedge or Charcoal brown, or UD Buck which is in Naked 1.
USES: Base for a smokey eye to make it less harsh than a full black smokey eye, contouring for darker skin tones. Can be used as a soft liner to make lashes look fuller.
RATING: 5/5 this is the best brown I have ever tried - comparing my other favourite browns this has so much better pigmentation.

CRAVE: A matte black with brown undertones and microshimmer - the micro shimmer is not noticable at all if you're not looking for it particularly.
DUPES: Any black eyeshadow.
USES: Smokey eye, eye liner, contouring for very dark skin.
RATING: 4/5 this is the best black eyeshadow I have ever used, and I have used Sugarpill Bulletproof, MAC Carbon and many more. This has the best color payoff and never looks grey/blue like many black eyeshadows can - this is because it doesn't have blue undertones. EDIT: I found Make Up Geek Corrupt is my HG black eyeshadow, though this comes next.

~~ PACKAGING ~~
About the same size as a pack of long cigarettes, just a bit smaller than an iPhone 3, four depotted MAC eyeshadows in a row, the width of a toilet paper roll, little shorter than a can of soda - you get it :)

Also, I was kind (stupid) enough to throw this into the wall to see if the eyeshadows would survive - and it did. Yeah, I do anything for makeupalley!

A little hard to open - but that's better than it opening itself in a bag when you're on a trip, right? I can't say that about the Naked 1 palette which only has a magnet to close the lid... It's made of really hard plastic and you don't have to worry and breaking anything.

~~ OPINION ON THE RANGE OF SHADES ~~
I kind of agree with other reviewers that this palette don't need two off white shades - I realize they wanted to appeal both cool toned and warm toned people, since one is yellow and one is pink, but seriously - they could have made one more neutral. They look almost the same when on the eyelid. There are more shades they could have put instead.

Also, this is obviously made for light skin, which is a little sad. They could have included more people in the palette by making it for both pale and dark skin, instead of putting TWO light shades in two different undertones. That's just what I think.

~~ CONCLUSION ~~
This is still a very usable palette for me personally, and the quality is really good. I love the size, that it's easy to bring with you and that it's easy to create everyday looks and evening looks with this.

continued >>

on 12/26/2012 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

If I lost this palette or used it all, which I can see myself doing, I would definitely repurchase. It is exactly what I've always looked for in a eye palette. Yes, I can see how the choice of colors is geared specifically for fair-to-medium skintones, but that is just something that people will have to keep in mind, just like some palettes/eyeshadows/blushes are geared towards cool skintones, others for warm skin tones or some for tan-to-dark skin tones. I don't think it deserves a lower rating just because it doesnt work for your skin coloring in particular. NARS Desire looks awful on me and my particular skin tone but that doesn't change the fact that it is a high quality pigmented product that deserves a high rating.

In any case, the quality of shadows is excellent and I have absolutely no problems creating a neutral defining sexy eye look with these.

The first shade is a highly pigmented shimmery off-white shade. I usually dislike shimmery highlight shades but I do love this one for the inner corner. It is so opaque that it actually completely covers the darkness that I have in the inner corner of my eye.

The two light mattes shades are exactly like powder versions of Soft Ocre and Painterly paint pots. I love those two paint pots and I love these two shadows. Two great options for all over lid colors.

The two darker taupe colors are like lighter/darker versions of Wedge. Excellent crease colors depending on how much definition you're looking to add.

The last shade is a very pigmented, surprisingly blendable blacked-brown. It's actually more black than anything else,but it doesn't have that cool blue-grey undertone that tends to look dirty on my warm skin tone.

I love this. This is actually something I will use everyday. My ONLY complain is the shape of the pans. I prefer a wider, more square shaped pan, but it really doesn't matter that much. That's only because I'm trying to nit-pick. Also, I love the compact. No finger prints yet no dirty looking powder build up like NARS packaging.

This palette is what I thought/wanted Dior's Incognito palette to be, but failed, and for half the price!

on 12/5/2012 11:53:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Oh. My. Gawd.

I am in love with this chic little palette. It's got all the colors to give me a professional daytime look and is just small enough for me to slip into my purse and carry it with me so I can build up the color for a night out after work! As with all Urban Decay shadows, each color is buttery soft and super pigmented. It's just so PERFECT!

Let's walk through each color, from left to right:

1. Crave (the darkest matte black). Perfect as a liner, to build up color into the crease, as a base for a duo chrome....just plain perfect.

2. Faint. This matte brown is darker on the eye than it appears in the pan. I really like it, though. It's a nice color to run through the socket and into the outside corner to give your eyes some depth while still looking natural enough to wear for work.

3. Naked 2. Can't have a naked palette without a naked. :) I like it. It works well as a base color to build other colors upon. I brush it eyelid to brow before any other color just to even out any veins/discoloration. It works well.

4. W.O.S. This color has a nice pinky undertone. Brighter than Naked2, it's great for running right above the socket, just to pull the color out and blend. It's quite nice.

5. Foxy. This is definitely a much for yellowy highlighter shade. I honestly haven't figured out what I can do with this one quite yet (hey I've only had the palette for 3 days!), but I've swatched it and it is quite a lovely, buttery color.

6. Venus. Lovely, semi-matte highlighter. It's not super shimmery, but has just enough to brighten your face without looking cheap. I love using a fan brush to sweep it on the top of my cheeks and on my brown bone. It's quite natural and flattering.

Overall, this is an incredible palette for the money. Quality is unbeatable. Love.

I guess I am in the minority when I say that I am disappointed with this palette. I am totally enamored of my Naked 1 and 2 Palettes. What impresses me most about these, besides the dazzling array of colors, is the rich texture of the shadows. I was a little surprised at the texture of shadows in the Naked Basic Palette which I would describe as dry and streaky in application. To me, the quality is no better than some poor offerings at the drugstore ( I'm thinking of Revlon - despise their dried out powders). If you are looking for a very nice, matte collection of neutral eye shadows, Physician's Formula offers a lovely quad - "Canyon Classics."

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I can't believe how awful this palette is. The colors are pigmented, but they look chalky on my skin. I've tried several combinations of colors, and no matter what, they bring out the sallow tones in my skin and make me look tired. These colors make my eyes look flat and dirty. Even the two pink-toned colors are unflattering. I think thus is a good value and will work for fairer skinned ladies. My olive skin with neutral undertones is not a good match for these shadows. I gave it two lippies for being a good value and pigmentation. Otherwise, I dislike this palette immensely and will exchange it for something else.

on 4/9/2013 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I'd used my cousin's Naked 2 Palette & I wanted a Naked Palette, but for me personally, I wanted a palette that contained less shimmery shadows and more mattes.

Cue the Naked Basics Palette. At 20, it's almost half of what the Naked palettes cost and there are only 6 colours, but for me that's a plus because it's compact enough to fit in a clutch.

The palette itself... it's almost exactly the same size as my iPhone 4S and is perfect for travel or girls (or guys, let's not discriminate now) who are constantly on-the-go. The feel of the palette is gorgeous - it's almost like a smooth rubbery feel. When Urban Decay say the palette feels suede-like, they mean it! And normally I'm not bothered about what the packaging's made from.

This palette features a brand new "Pigment Infusion System", which gives great colour payoff, a silky soft buttery texture, great blendability and, from experience, at least 9 hours of staying power (that's the maximum I've worn them for, but have no doubt they'd last longer).

It is a neutral palette and some of the shadows are identical if not comparable to some of the colours from the original 2 Naked Palettes. So if you already have both, I'd save my money unless I wanted the shades in a compact so it'd be more travel-friendly. If you have a lot of neutral MAC shadows, chances are you'll have very similar colours to these. I'll give you a quick rundown...

+ Venus is the only shade that's not completely matte. It's a slightly off-white shade with a touch of shimmer. Perfect for browbone and inner-corner highlighting. In a pinch, you can leave your highlighter at home and also use this on your nose, high cheekbones and cupids bow. Doesn't look dissimilar to MAC Shroom in the pan, but when swatched side-by-side, Shroom isn't as white. The most similar colour from the Naked palettes in my opinion is Virgin from the Naked palette, although Virgin is more pink.

+ Foxy is a matte cream/beige colour. It isn't a new shade - it also comes in the Naked 2 palette. Comparable colour-wise to MAC's Ricepaper, although Ricepaper isn't a matte shade.

+ W.O.S is a pale, nude matte. Walk of Shame is also available in the Urban Decay Build-Your-Own palette, but interestingly, the Build-Your-Own palette version isn't as pink - probably due to the brand new Pigment Infusion System. Comparable in colour to MAC Blanc Type, although Blanc Type is not as pigmented as Walk of Shame.

+ Naked 2 is a taupey coloured matte. The closest shade from the Naked palettes is obviously Naked from the Naked palette, although Naked seems a touch pinker. MAC Wedge is a similar but slightly warmer colour than Naked 2.

+ Faint is a warm brown matte and a dead-ringer for MAC Espresso. The closest shade to Faint in the Naked palettes is probably Buck from the Naked palette, however you will notice a big difference in colour - Faint is a lot darker than Buck.

+ Crave is a dark brown/almost black matte. Very similar to Blackout from the Naked 2 palette. Also comparable to MAC Typographic.

No brush is included in this, but since I usually use more than one brush anyway, I tend to use my own brushes when it comes to palettes. Might be annoying for some of you who want a truly travel friendly compact. The only thing I can suggest is to buy a small eyeshadow brush.

All in all, this palette is a good neutral palette and you can make it work. We asked for more matte shades and that's exactly what we got! However, I have a feeling they may tweak it & we may end up with a Naked Basics 2? Since some of the shades are a little too similar for a palette that only has 6 colours. Whilst this palette isn't perfect, it's a good starting point. Either way, it's a good quality palette that you can easily create a range of looks. Where else would you beat 6 full-size good-quality matte shadows for 20?

Great size, great value for money, great pigmentation, great formula and it has a mirror in it. Win.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Like its sisters, Naked and Naked 2, Naked Basics is a promising palette. It includes 6 eyeshadows, 5 of which are matte. The texture is very smooth and finely-milled. It applies evenly and smoothly with good pigmentation, and it lasts pretty long by itself, but the wear time isn't the best. To achieve that, you need to wear UDPP underneath.
Below, I listed all the shades with their color description and pigmentation level in addition to comparisons to the other Naked palettes and personal notes, when applicable.
From left to right:
-Venus: Satin cream (excellent pigmentation) (similar but more yellow than Naked's Virgin and Naked 2's Bootycall)
-Foxy: Matte warm ivory (excellent pigmentation) (included in Naked 2)
-W.O.S (Walk of Shame): Matte neutral ivory (excellent pigmentation) (included in UD empty eyeshadow palettes)
-Naked 2: Matte light taupe (excellent pigmentation) (similar but more cool than Naked's Naked) (I can use this to contour my face)
-Faint: Matte cool-toned medium brown (excellent pigmentation) (similar to Naked's Buck)
-Crave: Black with brown undertones (excellent pigmentation) (incredibly similar to Naked 2's Blackout--the two are pretty much indistinguishable--except Blackout is a true black, with gray undertones)
Although there's nothing wrong with the formulation and quality of these shades, it's the COLORS that made me lower the rating. The shade selection is very disappointing. Although they look totally different in the pan, Foxy and W.O.S look far too similar on my NC35 skintone--they're indistinguishable! Also, since my skintone isn't that fair to begin with, this palette basically comes with 3 highlight shades, all of which I already have similar shades in my MAC eyeshadow collection and Naked palettes, and 3 other very UN-unique shades (all of which I already own similar shades, again).
Also, I also lowered the rating because of its size. This palette is tiny! It fits in the palm of my hand, and it's barely larger than an iPhone (half the size of a Naked palette)! C'mon, Urban Decay--I know you're expensive, but for this size, $27 is kind of overpriced!
I only recommend this palette if you frequently wear matte eyeshadows and if you don't own the Naked or Naked 2 palette (or other matte eyeshadows).
Otherwise, it's not worth it, in my opinion.
Would I repurchase? No.

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

You have to approach this palette accepting it as it is (like much in life!), not expecting more or less. What it is: A fabulously packaged set of eyeshadow for everyday or evening, tailor-made for people like me who like a more subtle look. Venus is a wonderful brightener for the tear-duct area; Foxy and W.O.S. great for overall lid color; Naked 2 for the crease; Faint makes a perfect eyebrow shade for brown hair (for those like me who don't like dark eyeshadow); and Crave is a fantastic eyeliner when wet with a good brush. What it isn't: drama. That said, you could do a smokey eye look using Faint...
Overall, a winner. My only wish: wish instead of two lighter colors, Foxy had been deleted (since it is already in Naked 2), and a greyish taupe had been included instead. Then, this palette would be complete. Hope someone from UD keeps track of these reviews and those on Sephora's site since my opinion isn't unusual...

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

While I love Urban Decay shadows, a majority of their shadows are more appropriate for wearing to nightclubs than in real life. Yes, this includes both Naked palettes. So I was intrigued that they finally clubbed (no pun intended) together a matte palette called Naked Basics.

There are 6 shadows in there, which was disappointing given their larger Naked palettes. On the other hand, only 6 shadows means it's a small, portable palette that can easily travel. Only two repeated shadows, which is pretty good for them. The shadow quality is excellent as usual: highly pigmented with smooth application. Since there's no glitter or sparkle, there's much less fallout than usual, which is VERY nice.

Venus: vanilla satin, and the only shade that isn't matte. Chalky, but I'm glad they didn't go for a matte white as that would have been too chalky. I'm also glad they didn't fall into their "Disco Ball" trap and add glitter.

Foxy: a repeat from one of the other Naked palettes. Yellowish and chalky on my skin, but it may work on lighter skin tones. Pass.

Walk of Shame: a repeat from the Build-Your-Own-Palette. A creamy neutral, a little chalky but not bad.

Naked 2: like Naked, but a touch lighter. This one is the best of them all: not too dark, not too light, not chalky or ashy at all. It looks fantastic on my skin tone.

Faint: hot chocolate brown. Good for the crease, or all over the lid on a bolder day.

Crave: dark brown-black. Too dark for my skin tone to use as a shadow, but it has potential as a liner. It could also work for a smoky eye.

Overall, not bad.