Urban Decay NAKED Basics

Filtered by age: 36-43
Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.3

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

What a wonderful, practical little workhorse. I've been looking for a palette I can use for every day that works for different occasions and it's been surprisingly impossible. And I haven't had much luck with the larger UD Naked ones.

This one is just right!
PROS
-just right undertones. Not too cool, not too warm. Would work for almost everyone. Also a smart range of shades so it could be adjusted for lighter or darker skin tones.
-pigmented, yet easy to blend (unlike Kat Von D)
-lasts from 5am to 10pm without creasing. I do use a primer
-good value for the quality
-compact, sturdy almost rubbery case. Love It!
-easy to work a natural or dramatic look

CONS
-none that I can think of

So glad I found this. Great buy!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

I had my eye on this for ages as it looked like the perfect nude palette. Eventually, I gave in and took the plunge.

Sadly the shadows are chalky, patchy and really awkward to blend - and I've tried loads of different primers and brushes. Bleurgh. It just looks muddy so it's not for me and I'll be passing the palette on to a friend with different colouring who might get on better with it.

On a positive note, the last three colours are useful for brows.

I hated this product. None of the colors showed up on my eyelids! I took this back, because I will never use it. UD could have made the Pulp Fiction pallet part of the permanent collection. The only other dud I have had was Naked 3. Maybe both were dud palettes.

on 3/7/2015 1:14:00 AM

This is one of my "work horse" products. It doesn't look exciting or glamorous, but I use it at least four times per week. I LOVE this palette. Here's why:

Packaging - Excellent
Sturdy but lightweight. The mirror is huge for the palette size. The case snaps firmly shut, and even takes a little extra pulling to open the first few times.

Price - Excellent
The math works out to a little over $5 per shadow - a bargain.

Quality - Excellent
These are soft, highly pigmented shades. Some don't like UD matte shadows, claiming they are too dry. This isn't a problem for me. If you are (understandably) gun-shy about this, swatch it in the store, or even dab some on your eyelid. I get that, for the price, you want it to be a palette that works with your skin.

Shadows - Amazing
Venus is a lovely shimmer highlighter with a slight yellow tint. In a pinch, I use it on my face as a highlighting powder, applying with my finger.
Foxy and W.O.S. (walk of shame) are good matte lid colors and blending shades, Foxy being warmer and W.O.S. being on the cool side. I use them both.
Naked 2 is a cooler matte tan, perfect for blending into the crease or softening darker shades. This is my favorite color in the palette.
Faint is a gorgeous matte milk chocolate brown. It blends well with most browns, and warms up the greyer ones (important for me, since I have yellow undertones - cool shades can make me look dead).
Crave is a beautiful matte black that can work alone, blended out into a grey, or crank up the depth of any shade you have. It's also my go-to smokey eye black shade.

Less experienced/mature makeup lovers may look at this palette and go, "Boring!" But they aren't seeing its incredible versatility and beauty. Naked 2 and Faint are great brow powders - throw on a bit of brow wax or Vaseline, gently fill in, and your brows will look shapely and neat. Taking this palette along on a trip means you already have your brow powder, highlight shade, and black in one small package.
More on versatility: Take any "scary" shade you might want to try - bright yellow, green, or red, for example. You can use Naked Basics to crank up the glam or make it wearable. One of my favorite ways to use this palette is to take a gorgeous warm shimmer shade (a Milani gel shadow, or my favorite, Coppering by MAC) and blend it into a wearable warm look with Foxy on the lid, Naked 2 in the crease, and a touch of Crave in the outer corner. Yesterday I deepened a purple look (MAC Haux and Cranberry) with Crave, and used Venus as a highlight.
For an elegant no-makeup look, use Foxy on your center and outer lid, Venus on the inner third including the corner, blend Naked 2 in your crease, and softly line with Faint.
The possibilities are endless.
I haven't tried Naked Basics 2; as I said before, cool toned shadows aren't flattering on me, but you cooler toned folks may find it as amazing as I find NB1. I use this so much more than my other Naked palettes, and ALWAYS use it to supplement them when I do.
This palette is varied without being overwhelming, and it will actually help you get more wear out of your other eyeshadows. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I just got this palette I have had the basics 2 and the full naked 2 and 3 for a while and I love all of them. Needless to say this did not disappoint , all the colors are beautiful for everyday and they blend so smooth and stay on forever. I love UD eyeshadow and I will buy more of them. I would most defiantly repurchase this palette also.

on 1/10/2015 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I always avoided any eyeshadow that had anything remotely brown in it but this looks so good on me. I love that with this selection of colors you can create anything from a no make up makeup look to a dramatic smokey eye. The two darkest shades are very pigmented so swipe your brushes lightly on these two.
There's just one thing I personaly don't quite like about this product and that's the matte shades (which are 5 out of 6) being a bit too chalky. The problem here is that they make my eyes look older because of the way they settle into the fine lines of the eyelid. I'm 37 and my fine lines are still pretty much non existent thanks to very good genes but this makes them appear. The good thing is the inclusion of one basic shimmery shade. So I believe this is not a super smart palette for an older person, at least not when used alone, but I hope I'll still be happily using it for a long time.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I own UD Basics 1 & 2, & Nakeds3; they are all truly awesome!! For the price of USD$29 getting 6 very finely milled beautiful shadows is a bargain!! I am working on getting Nakeds 1 & 2 & Nakeds On The Run, maybe Santa this year or else if not imma def buy them for myself!! I love making smoked out eyes w Basics1, the dark black color is lovely for using over eyeliner to make it extra smokey & all of the shades coordinate together so nicely! The texture is to die for, buttery soft & long lasting, easy to blend. I bought 3 different dupes (2 of which being from Coastal Scents & the other a no name 1 from kmart) & tbh I never use them, the money would have been better spent putting towards another UD palette. Don't get the dupes, they aren't the same. You may be able to get similar looks w the dupes (coz any1 who is really skilled/talented w makeup can make dollar store items look decent!), but to me they just aren't the same. There is just something luxurious & special about Nakeds in general, I am addicted!! I find myself reaching for the UD palettes most often. I am a hard core devotée!! You can do just about anything w them from light eye to smoked all out & looks the best paired w a nude lip color to my eye, but u can also pull off a brick red or something like MAC Brave/Velvet Teddy/Satin Taupe. I've also paired it w Barbie pink for good results, so I think whatever lip color you are most comfortable in u can rock Basics1 with it. Conservative enough for school/office but can be so smoked out for going out to a club/concert/party/soirée. You can dress if up or down as much as u want! I wish they had put a little slot w a brush in there, that's about my only complaint! I love me some UD!!

on 8/16/2014 1:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

This palette is the greatest answer to all those shimmer/glittery eyeshadow palettes that need moe depth in their looks. Looks great on my NC42 skin tone. Can't wait for Basics 2 at the end of the month!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I'm sorry for bringing this palette down but it really was a miss for me. This palette leans more cool than warm. The browns in this palette swatch very gray toned for me. Yes, they do come across brown but it leans more cool than it does warm. If you are into cool toned eyeshadows then this palette is perfect for you gals. But I tend to buy eyeshadows that lean more warm brown/neutrals than anything else. I wish this palette would take out the ugly gray browns and put some warm browns instead. Then OMG this palette would've rocked it for me...but sadly it was a return.

on 7/2/2014 5:57:00 PM

Five mattes and a satiny shimmer in a travel sized palette which is perfect for carrying about all day for touch ups or for taking on holiday. I love my naked two palette but wished it had more mattes and now this perfectly complements it. I have used it everyday for the last ten days for natural, everyday looks but it is equally great for a smoky eye. The mirror is a good size and the eyeshadows are full size.
The colours are very light. I would have preferred an entirely matte palette as Venus does get used but I prefer bootycall from naked two on my blueish skin tone. Foxy is a repeat which annoys me a bit as a different colour such as a taupe would have been better and also foxy is a tad yellow for me. However W.O.S is a great base colour and evens out the purpley blue tinges on my lids and provides a lovely canvas for eye makeup. Naked is the perfect crease colour and is so buildable so can be natural or dramatic. Faint and crave are are great for using in the crease for more intensity and as liners.
Handy palette to have. Wearable colours. Great longevity. Value for money.
I like to use W.O.S on my whole eye, naked in the crease and faint in the outer v with bootycall as an inner highlight and chopper or YDK in the centre of my lid. Works for me and not too ageing.