Urban Decay NAKED Basics

Filtered by hair type : Wavy age: 25-29
Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.5

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 3/3/2017 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a must have eyeshadow palette!!!! Spectacular colors. Maybe look boring, but this is the basis for so many eyeshadow looks

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Love this palette. I resisted buying it for so long, although I've been interested in it for a while. I knew the name said "basics" but just looking at the colors I had no idea how it would produce a put together eye look. However, I finally pulled the trigger and decided to get this with a giftcard I got for Christmas. I figured if nothing else, it would be a good compliment palette to all my other Nakeds (which are lacking in the matte department).
Boy am I happy I did! It's exactly what I was looking for. I have tons of beautiful palettes: both TooFaced Chocolate bars, 3 Naked palettes, Lorac Pro... but I wanted something everyday and subtle that I could wear to work. I like to look put together at work, but very simple and basic.
This palette is PERFECT for that! I could not be more happy with it. I struggled for a while deciding if I should get this or the Naked Basics 2, but I finally decided on the original because it leans more warm toned which I think is more flattering on me. It's awesome as a quick "grab and go" palette for a rushed morning instead of having to plan out a look using a 10-12 pan eyeshadow palette. And every eyeshadow is just gorgeous on! So flattering. In terms of consistency, they are so buttery and pigmented! They go on like a dream, and blend out so beautifully. They honestly remind me of the Lorac eyeshadows.
I originally hesitated buying this palette because it was just that- "basic," and I heard so many reviews about it being very dupable and nothing special. The truth is, if you are looking for a great basics palette that is work appropriate and great for everyday, I highly suggest picking this up!!

Sure, I enjoy beautiful colors and glittery looks, but for everyday, turns out this is exactly what I was looking for. Well worth the money. The pigmentation is great, blendability and formula is great, and it's nice and tiny so it pops right into your makeup bag and is very portable. I took off one lippie for packaging only because it is kind of difficult to open, but that is my ONLY complaint. It pretty much has everything you could need. A black for liner or smoking out an eye look, a shimmery white for inner corner highlight or brow bone, a great brown for deepening the crease, a couple colors that are great for the lid, and a light brownish gray that is PERFECT for an allover crease/transition color.
This palette was intimidating to me at first, because I had no idea what sort of looks it would create based on the colors (which honestly look really dull and boring) but they truly come out so beautifully once applied.
If you are like me and love makeup but want something subtle and professional for your weekday makeup looks, I think this palette is a great investment.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

This pallet is sure a must-have. Colors, pigmentation and the application is excellent.
Only if there were more product in one layer in termes of the weight, my only concern is consuming the bright shades fast.

on 7/12/2015 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Naked Basics is probably one of the best palettes Urban Decay has to offer. Why they don't focus on producing more matte shades is beyond me, because these aren't bad and work better than a lot of shimmers in the Urban Decay permanent line.

The palette itself is very sturdy and closes tightly. You don't have to worry about this one opening up without warning and getting all over everything in your purse or kit. It also comes with a mirror, though, it gets dirty after use.

Being that it is Urban Decay, there is a shimmer shade in Venus, but it's light enough and in my experience, does not produce any fall out. It's particularly good for applying to the inner eyes to brighten and widen, especially for those of us with eyes that are close together. It does a solid enough job of that.

The two "nude" shades of Foxy and W.O.S. are nice, as it provides options for both pink undertones and yellow undertones, and are versatile enough to be used on either skintone. The pigmentation on W.O.S. was a little more difficult for me to work with than Foxy (which I also used to set concealer as it worked very well with my skintone.)

Naked2 is a lovely crease shade and probably the color I used the most. It's neutral and again, works for both skin tones nicely.

Faint is probably the best pigmented of the bunch and works well as either crease (especially for cut-creases) and outer v deepening.

Crave is my least favorite in the palette for several reasons: one, it's not pigmented well. As a black shade, it's not a true black (it tends to lean more charcoal/slightly gray) and is difficult to work with. As another reviewer suggested, this palette would be so much better had they removed the black shade and substituted with a darker brown.

The palette itself is probably the one I would recommend for anyone looking to upgrade and start a middle-to-high end collection of makeup. It's a great workhorse palette. I did not experience fall-out with it, but I also tend to take a lighter hand with eyeshadows in general and always tap my brush before applying. I would advise not getting the eyeshadows wet, as if you do spray water onto your brush and have to dip back in for more, the shadows do not take well to being wetted and the colors in the pan "warp" a bit.

I did not have the issue of the eyeshadows becoming muddied, though, it may fade in pigmentation throughout the day if you don't wear a good base or primer. I would also question how this would fare on darker skintones, seeing as how some of the colors appeared ashy on <NC15 skin (W.O.S.). I do not intend on repurchasing it as while it's not the worst product, it's not a product I have a need for in my collection. I would rather invest the money on an individual palette and pick all colors that work for me, but for an individual palette, this is a solid choice.

Pros:

- Great neutral matte formula
- No fall-out
- Offers nude shades for both yellow and pink undertones
- Great multi-tasking product (I used Foxy to set my concealer, for example)
- Sturdy packaging that would hold up in traveling
- (For those that like it), does contain one shimmer shade

Cons:

- Pigmentation can fade throughout the day if not primed/applied to base
- May not work well on POCs
- Crave has mediocre pigmentation and would work better with a dark brown shade
- (For those looking for one), it is not an all-matte palette; does contain a shimmer shade
- Do not take to being wet very well in the pan

on 6/27/2015 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I decided I wanted to try matte shadows, but didn't like the drugstore ones I bought (much too chalky). After testing I store and feeling how buttery these are, I decided to splurge. It has been worth it. I can create so many looks with this. The one color I never seem to touch is crave (black shade) unless I'm using it as a liner. I use the other colors frequently. Foxy is a great brow color, WOS a good barely there lid color, naked2 a good lid color or barely there crease color, and faint a good crease color or liner color. Venus is good for adding some light shimmer to the inner corners of the eye, brow highlight, or even as a blending color over the lid to add a bit of cool brightness. I do think I'd look into the naked basics 2 before repurchasing this, but I'll have one on hand from now on. I find all colors to have a purpose of some sort, but wish the black was a chocolate brown shade instead, which is why I took a lippie off. This palette can create so many looks and can be mixed with others to get even more looks. This travels well and has yet to show any signs of chipping or breaking for me. It is also compact, another plus for traveling. Overall, I recommend and will not be without a naked basics palette in my makeup arsenal.

on 3/29/2014 12:26:00 AM

I love this palette, so versatile and so good for travel. I can use this by itself or with other palettes. The shades blend together and on my skin beautifully. The darkest one is a good eye liner, and the more neutral shades are awesome for blending and building. The light shimmery shade is what I wear on my brow bone when I'm going out at night, and sometimes even in the day.

Matte and natural enough to wear to work, the gym (unfortunately I feel as though I should have even the tiniest bit of makeup on to avoid scaring everybody), or wherever you want to appear as if you are wearing minimal makeup. Definitely smart to have in your makeup bag.

on 3/25/2014 2:11:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

A nice, but very dupable shadow palette. With 6 shades- 3 light, 2 medium, and one dark.

The lightest is Venus-a satiny off white shade similar to MAC Mylar. The second is Foxy-a soft cream, similar is MAC Brule. The third is Walk of Shame-a soft pink, could be duped with MAC Yogurt. Next is Naked 2-extremely similar to MAC Omega. Followed by Faint- (which goes on a lot lighter than it looks a soft, blending shade) that looks like MAC Charcoal Brown. Lastly, Crave a decent, basic black shadow. Similar to any other black on the market.

Now, this palette has pros and cons....but I want to first start with the cons. In my opinion, there should be two light, two mid tone and two dark shadows, for variety purposes. Walk of Shame should be pulled, and replaced with another midtone, or even dark shade. Maybe a nice deep purple like MAC Sketch...or even a deep brown since Faint is more of a blending shade (At least on me as a NC30). Also, why not one matte and one satin for each light, mid tone and dark? I know they wanted to do something to counteract the frostiness of the other naked palettes, but the still could add SOME texture variety to this palette. I feel like this palette on its own is a great "basic" as the name states, but you need more than this to complete a full, everyday look....unless you want extremely natural. I feel like with a few adjustments this could be a great palette, but it just falls a lil bit short.

The pros to this is definitely the price. $28 for 6 shadows in a convenient carrying case. No spot for a brush (another con I guess) but nice mirror and the case is very sturdy. 3 shadows are about the size of one full sized MAC shadow...so there are two "full sized" amounts of product. Each MAC shadow is $16, so essentially $32 of product, for $28. If you want something to add to your other Naked palettes, or just a decent matte, basic palette this is worth the investment. Though, if you're darker than a NC42/NW35....you may want to pass...I don't know if any of the shades would show up well enough to justify buying it. If you are lighter and want some easy to throw on, work friendly mattes...you may want to give this a go.

on 7/29/2013 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

EDIT- 1/3/2014

Hats off, Naked Basics! Do I ever owe you an apology!

So backtrack a little. Over the holiday season I, like everyone else it seems, ran out to treat myself to a naked palette with a little Christmas money.

I chose Naked 2. I won't get into specifics because this is a review for basics, not N2, but let's just say N2 has become a makeup staple, and my favorite new toy-- I use it every single day.

I realized that with N2, the real magic happens when I mix the colors in the palette. I began thinking maybe I didn't give basics a fair shot after all. Also I remember being really disappointed with foxy in naked basics, meanwhile in N2 I use it all the time. With basics I was using the WNW fergie primer, but with n2 I use painterly. To be honest when I bought naked basics my skill level in eyeshadow application was pretty novice. Still, I am amateur at best, but my introduction to MAC painterly (and some new brushes) has been a real game changer in how my shadows, apply, look overall, and how they last.

Naked basics is a terrific and handy little palette. The looks it can create are definitely a "my lids but better" appearance. I don't think it has as much range as it's cousins n1, 2 and 3, in the sense that you can't really create such a dramatic eye- but again that's not how the palette is intended, so I don't think that's a downfall per se.

My favorite natural and BEAUTIFUL every day look is:

Painterly as a base, followed by crave lined about the top lash line

Then foxy slapped onto the lids and blended all the way up into the brow bone.

After I take faint and blend it into the crease and outer V. This blends out into a beautiful cool, taupey brown that cancels out all the peachy tones in my lids that make me appear tired on my nc15 skintone.

My final steps (and why this palette can't have 5 lippies) is to then take blackout (N2) and line my upper eye and lashline.

I then take busted (also naked 2) and line the outer half of my lower lashline.

I then go back to naked basics and put virgin in the inner corners-- and this looks BEAUTIFUL and natural if I do say so myself.

Unfortunately with naked basics alone, I don't feel like the color range is expansive enough to put together a truly polished look. But for a casual weekend or a gym bag, where you need to pack light, i feel like this palette is definitely all you need to look presentable. PLUS the three darker shades are all cool- so they can double as eyebrow powder! :D

This is such an essential palette.

I think my dream of dreams would be if naked basics was expanded into a 12 pan pallete of predominantly mattes, and included a brush for travel.

My ideal palette would be all the colors in naked basics plus:
Blackout, bootycall, tease, busted, demolition (the eyeliner turned into an eyeshadow shade), and perhaps a shade like naked from the N1 palette.

I think that would be a dream of dreams. But for what naked basics is, and what it is intende to be I think it is quite a superior little pallete and I am GO GLAD to have it as part of my little collection :)

***original review** in summer of 2013:

I guess I'm in the minority I was soooo disappointed.

I was very excited to get this palette bc I love both mattes and nudes- it's all I wear.

When I swatched the colors in the store I could not wait to buy this. But none of the colors show up, like at all. The pigmentation quality is really poor, and no matter how much primer I put, or how much product, or which brush, I can just not get these to work.

Maybe it is my light skin but foxy, WOS and Naked 2 are all invisible on me, like invisible. Faint and crave are obviously dark, crave actually has excellent pigmentation but I'm not a fan of black eyeshadow so it's appeal is lost on me.

Venus is the only one with shimmer, and it's workable but I feel like I have to use a lot of it, and honestly I would rather highlight my brow bone with a matte shade.

Literally nothing in the palette worked for me, I was so bummed. :(

I went back to using my $4 quad of Revlon CS coffee bean, and I've never been so appreciative of a DS product. These colors actually show up on the skin and at a fraction of the cost.

I found naked basics to be sooooo overrated.

on 7/16/2013 8:43:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

amazing amazing amazing!!! this palette is so easy to use for a quick neutral smokey eye. it usually takes me 3-5 minutes to do a really nice look with it. all the colors show up on my NC42 brown skin. best used with a primer, something like mac paintpot soft ochre/painterly.

if you need an idea on how to create a very quick and easy look with this palette, i've created a 3 minute tutorial on youtube linked below. check it out and be sure to comment and let me know what you think :)

on 6/7/2013 6:33:00 AM

This is a great palette for an everyday neutral look. The colors are very pigmented, they hold forever and blend well. The only thing is that the three lighter shades are somewhat similar, I would have liked to have a gold instead of a pinkish-white. Also, the case is hard to open and I chipped my nail polish twice trying to open it.
So although the quality of the shadows are amazing, UD could have hit the jackpot if they added a gold/bronze, and if the case was easier to open.
Aldo it's expensive, 32$ in Canada.