Living Proof Restore

3.3

Water, Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Glycol Distearate, Lactamide MEA, Fragrance/Parfum, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Octafluoropentyl Methacrylate (PolyfluoroEster), Creatine, Laureth-23, Tetrasodium EDTA, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Polyquaternium-47, Behenyl Alcohol, Laureth-16, Laureth-4, Polyquaternium-52, PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glyceride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Citronellol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional.

on 2/13/2016 9:19:00 PM

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

My hair is very fine, thin and dry, and super prone to frizzing. I live in a desert, which doesn't help much with the dryness, but if I go somewhere humid, it frizzes up like crazy.I bought PHD 5 in 1 and the Restore line to try and help me through a summer in NYC and Montreal, which are much more humid than home.

The shampoos are sulfate free, which I'd been looking for. Plus, I was interested in the "research results" on Sephora.com, which claim:
- After 5 uses of Restore Shampoo and Conditioner, hair's porosity is reduced 100%.
- After 5 uses of Restore Shampoo and Mask Treatment, hair is 9 times more resistant to breakage.
My hair is famously terrible, so this sounded pretty great!

I purchased a trial size box with the entire Restore line, and although I hated the smell, it was definitely effective. I alternated the conditioner and the mask and preferred the mask slightly, although neither was very moisturizing. I used the 5 in 1 to detangle and style.

I bought everything in full size. My hair did feel more dense, and you absolutely can go longer between washes. There are videos online about how the product fills hair and repels dirt and water. It's impressive but I don't know if it allows any oil or protein to penetrate the hair shaft. It doesn't build up and get ropey like cones, but there's definitely has a cumulative effect.

When I use the LP line, I can style my hair, sleep on it, and still look pretty decent in the morning, even after taking a red-eye. I've even gone to the gym for a light workout and come out with halfway tolerable bangs. This is VERY UNUSUAL for me, because I sweat like crazy. These products just seems to repel humidity and maintain shape.

A note for anyone trying to decide between the PHD line or Restore, Restore is supposed to provide more help for damaged hair, and I think it does this through a higher concentration of OFPMA, LP's proprietary molecule. It doesn't seem any more moisturizing than PHD though, which is what I missed with LP. I think their entire philosophy is to prevent moisture from getting into the hair.

I noticed after a month or two of use that my hair was starting to snag again, and I'd have to reapply the 5 in 1 several times a day to smooth it. I went in for a trim and my stylist commented how damaged my hair was. I was not in the best health while it was growing out, so that probably has a lot to do with it, but I just felt I wanted to go back to using something more natural, so I went back to Phyto products. Maybe after I go through a cycle with them, I'll try and finish the bottles of all my LP products. For now, I'm loving the Phyto line.

on 1/20/2016 12:32:00 AM

Hi. I loved this product for the first month. I cannot understand what happened to my hair, afterwards. Dry, unmanageable, and very coarse. No more shine. I am not sure if its the water in Northern Nevada or is it the product. I read no silicones, no oils, no phthalates, but I am not sure if there are special waxes that coat the hair initially. I have very long and super thick hair and go long ways to dye it with professionals using semi organic formulas. I am pretty sure the ingredient in this product may lead to some sort of dryness, although it does not contribute to any hair fallout like ridiculousness from Pantene or salon formulas. Very interesting. I will keep posting

To Read all 19 Reviews, Login or Join

I bascially left the same review for the Living Proof Restore Shampo.

I bought a travel size package from Ulta for the Restore shampoo, conditioner, and mask. Let's just say I love it so much, I bought the bigger bottles!

I have balayage ombre hair. My hair is dry, thick and somewhat coarse. Since I started using Living Proof, huge changes! My hair is softer, shinier, and overall healthier. Styling my hair has become easier. I can also longer in between wash days. Prior to Living Proof, I had been co-washing, but was suffering from fall out. I switched to another line that was sulfate free as well, but still had the fall out. I have very little hair come out in the shower with Living Proof. I am a convert.

PS. I can see why some people may not like the smell, but personally, I think it smells great.

on 12/1/2015 3:46:00 PM

Good, but not $28 good. And it's only an 8oz bottle too.

This conditioner is very heavily scented with that perfume-y Living Proof scent, but it doesn't linger. Very rich and thick texture but only provides okay slip. Decent moisturizing but I've used better.

All in all, I actually like this conditioner but it's not worth it for the price. When I bought this from Ulta I had a generous coupon and I redeemed some of my rewards points, so in the end I ended up paying about half price. I'm glad I got such a great deal because while this is a decent product, it's an overpriced one.

Have to say I wouldn't buy it again.

on 5/20/2015 7:58:00 PM

The good news is this conditioner is not super greasy. The bad news is... it does not really restore anything. It is quite light and does not condition as well as some other products that I use on a regular basis (L'Occitane makes some good and light conditioners for fine hair). I would not repurchase this.

on 5/20/2015 12:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This formula is obviously for very dry, damaged hair. My hair is medium textured, somewhat wavy, dry, color treated and prone to frizz. I also use a curling iron several times a week. This conditioner (and the Restore shampoo) was a bit too heavy for me. I think it would be wonderful for really dry and/or severely damaged hair. The first time I used it, it worked really well and I could definitely see a difference in the way my hair looked. However, with continued use, my hair lacked that swingy body I was trying to achieve. Coloring my hair is definitely not damaging it enough to require treatment with Restore s/c. This certainly surprised me. I also tried the No Frizz s/c, but I found this formula somewhat drying. My hair was simply not supple like I wanted it to be. I found the perfect fit with the Perfect Hair Day formula. It has just the right amount of hydration and leaves my hair soft, smooth, shiny and frizz free (which in Florida is a major feat)! Yes, these products are expensive, but I only have to look in my hall closet to see all the money I've spent on epic hair product FAILS. So I don't feel guilty about spending money on something that actually lives up to its claims. My experience with LP has been a good one. Not every formula works for everyone and it's to be expected that an adjustment period is necessary. But I've found the perfect fit with PHD. I definitely recommend Restore for those with serious hair issues. It's packed with moisture that will quench thirsty strands and will repair any hair malady. I will use it from time to time when my hair seems to need a conditioning boost. But PHD is my HG.

on 3/14/2015 3:12:00 PM

Awful stuff...if I could give it zero lippys I would. I saw another review saying their hair was left crunchy. That's basically how I felt. I tried to give it a shot and used it several times. After trying to detangle the straw-like matted hair it left behind, I had to put a leave on conditioner (Neutrogena) every time. Restore conditioner did absolutely nothing for my hair. I have slightly wavy to straight hair that is a couple of inches below my shoulders. I color it when i have to, otherwise I don't have over processed or damaged hair. Though, My hair tangles if I don't use a good conditioner. This product is NOT IT. I'm not one to return partially used products but I should have returned this. I just called it a loss and returned to using the Matrix Biolage conditioner that works for me.

Very nice conditioner, complimenting the matching shampoo nicely. I very much liked it, my hair was left shiny and soft, and not weighed down. The price is way too high though, so I would not purchase this conditioner. If I were to splash out on one or the other, I would choose the shampoo over the conditioner.

on 1/1/2015 7:23:00 AM

I really wanted to love this conditioner but it just didn't deliver and I certainly don't think its worth the price tag. Conditioned my coloured hair well enough but certainly nothing special.

on 10/25/2014 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this conditioner! I have light blonde color treated hair and it looks so much healthier after 2 weeks using it.