E.L.F. Studio 3-in-1 Mascara (Lengthen, Define & Volumize)

3.5

Water (Aqua), Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Synthetic Beeswax, Ozokerite, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Nylon-12, Propylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Triacontanyl PVP, Glyceryl Stearate, Polyvinylpyrrolidone, Styrene/Acrylates.Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Triethanolamine, PEG-100 Stearate, Sodium Laureth-12 Sulfate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

A complete stranger at the makeup aisle at Target swore by this mascara and, I decided to give it a try. It is "so so" probably because my lashes are "so so." (The stranger's lashes were naturally long which is probably why this mascara worked for her.) If you are looking for a basic mascara and your lashes are already fairly good (no short and sad like mine), this would probably work for you. It is a natural finish and for $3, it's a bargain. However, it has no wow factor and quite honestly the brush really bothers me. It's almost like it is too long with the odd shaped ball on the end. I realize it's function is to get to the lashes that are hard to reach, but I find myself poking my eye with it. I've only used it a few times and at such a cheap price, I'm just going to toss it. Other E.L.F. products have wowed me before, so I'm still and E.L.F. fan, just not a fan of this particular mascara.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Horrible horrible horrible!! This didn't coat my lashes at all so I have no idea if it would actually lengthen or define. I will stick to the Essence crazy volume mascara in the pink tube.

To Read all 44 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

4.5 stars
This is a handy little gem for those who like their lashes to look natural, yet separated, defined and beautiful. For women who appreciate dramatically long lashes, this may not be the product for you, unless maybe you use a primer first, and then apply several coats of this mascara.

I gave this 4.5 stars instead of 5, because I've used other drugstore brands that provided a bit more length and volume. However, it's important to point out that everyone is different: if you have thin eyelashes and a delicate bone structure, this mascara will be perfect or maybe even a bit too much for your taste. For women with thicker, longer lashes, this won't be heavily impressive.

I've noticed that mascara seems to be the one product that is hit or miss with everyone, and can very wildly from person to person. That's a bit odd, but because it's so subjective, it's really difficult to write a proper mascara review.

I'd also like to point out that this brush is AMAZING. I wish most mascaras provided this brush, because it offers that perfect balance between long, defined lashes and Tammy Faye Bakker (God, I miss that woman).

Oh yeah, and before I forget, the texture! I wouldn't believe this if I didn't see it for myself, but this particular mascara is smack dab in the middle between wet and dry. How phenomenal! I've never, ever really seen that before.

In fact, when I first examined it, I stood there in wonder, twirling the mascara brush around, trying to figure out where the liquid stood on the spectrum. How perfect. Truly.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really don't understand the negative reviews; this is the best mascara I've tried (and I've tried a lot). It gives my short, thin lashes length and volume, plus the formula is super black. I also really like how helpful the ball at the end of the brush is. I don't know why anyone wouldn't try this mascara seeing as it's only $3 (although I'd still purchase it if they raised the price). And to everyone saying that it's "hard to remove", you can't take off mascara with just water! I either use coconut oil or a makeup wipe, and it comes off just fine for me

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I really love this mascara and for the price you can't go wrong. I have short eyelashes and this gives me the length I wish I was born with lol.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I rarely review products but this one is definitely a winner. I tried this one after reading mixed reviews and i absolutely love this mascara! I have very wimpy lashes. Very fine, short, and light-colored, but this mascara did wonders for my lashes after only one coat, and it just got better with the second coat. The brush is easy and helps to get every single lash, plus it did not clump at all. Prior to finding this mascara, my favorite was Maybelline The Falsies, but this is just as good but half the price. I am sticking with this one from now on. I have nothing bad to say about it. This stuff is truly awesome.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

After about a week of use, I honestly feel like whoever gave this mascara bad ratings are either stupid or brand snobs who wrote it off before they could even use it. The mascara is so easy to apply! You start at the roots of the lashes first with the ball end, then you comb them through regularly. Easy enough! The quality is almost bulletproof. First night I wore it, I tried everything. My lush cleanser, my wipes, my oil... Nothing worked but hot water. That's right. Hot faucet water. It's astounding. My lashes are flexible and not very clumpy at all. They even feel soft, but sometimes tacky after the application. That goes away though. It lengthens my lashes rather nice.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

A $3 tubing mascara?!? Really?!? I had to try it. I did and I so wish I liked it better. Let me say it lengthened and thickened my lashes like a dream! I really was impressed. The formula looked rather wet though and it took a while for it to dry. Not a problem with me but it could be annoying for others. I didn't like was the wand though. I was used to a regular fluffy wand and this rubbery wand with stubby bristles and ball in the end was something different. It also seemed to paint some of my lashes together. Even though the formula didn't clump I still had to comb out my lashes to separate them. But that could have been because I wasn't handling the wand right, and maybe I could get more control if I got more used to it. It stayed on my lashes with no problems whatsoever with smudging or flaking. I was feeling optimistic about this mascara but it wasn't meant to be. What was the absolute deal breaker was how hard it was to wash it off! Tubing mascaras just slip off when exposed to enough water. Maybe I should have used warmer water with this mascara to remove it as I always used cool water as it was more gentle for my acne prone skin. But I never had any problem removing my two DS tubing mascara favorites, l'Oreal Double Extends and Cover Girl Professional Remarkable Washable, with cool water. In fact even after several splashes of water I finally had to rub and tug the tubes off of my lashes to get it all off. That's NOT a good thing! I would like to keep what short, sparse lashes I have, and I don't want to be pulling them to get mascara off! I gave it one lippie each for its thickening and lengthening because to be fair it did those things great. Minus everything else for it being hard to remove.

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Neutral

This is s tubing mascara so the reviewer who said it washes off in weird clumps is right.... You use lots of warm water to saturate your lashes and then the tubes slide off in rubbery clumps.

This is a great mascara! It does lengthen and volumize as advertised. For $3 you can't go wrong, wow! The formula is BLACK black black! Very deep and richly pigmented. The spike ball is similar to Givenchy which costs $40. The formula is very wet so you should blot the wand on a lint free cloth first then apply 2 thin coats. I got no clumps or spider legs with this method. No flakes, transfer or raccoon eyes. This is an awesome mascara and I will continue purchasing! I always mark mascara down heavily for drying out quickly in the tube but for $3, if I need to buy a new one every few weeks, it won't even matter. When I'm paying $10 and up for a mascara, then I care.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I like the way this mascara looks when it is on, but it is sooo hard to remove! I use Sonia Kashuk eye makeup remover on a cotton round and it takes forever. It also comes off in weird clumps and flakes. I'm disappointed b/c my search for a DS cruelty-free mascara will have to continue.

ETA: I had no idea this was a tubing mascara until I read the more recent reviews. That explains why it was so difficult for me to remove...I wasn't doing it right. I may have to repurchase and try removing it with warm water since I otherwise liked this mascara.