ipsy

ipsy
ipsy ipsy ipsy

2.9

Signed up for this based on the recommendation of a coworker. After I completed a profile and entered my credit card information I was "added to the waitlist". The waitlist was NEVER mentioned prior to them obtaining my information. They promised to remove people who "share a comment about Ipsy on fb", like their social media accounts, and send "recommendations" to fb friends asking them to join. Just No. How can I recommend a product I haven't received? I'm not going to blow my social media up or harass friends to buy products just to receive my own. So I waited 2 weeks. No emails, no updates, no idea when I would be removed from the waitlist and billed to start getting my bags. So I emailed them and asked to unsubscribe (no button to do this on the website because I was on the waitlist). They emailed back fairly quickly and repeatedly stated that their goal wasn't to promote on social media just give their "most loyal customers that help them grow an extra Thank You". I just can't get on board with this kinda blackmailing/selling products on FB. Had they sent me a decent bag I would have recommended it to plenary of people. They lost my business. After I got to looking on all the complaints on their fFacebook page I'm glad I steered clear, it's riddled with expiring points and people not receiving their stuff.

on 12/12/2016 5:27:00 AM

I think, like wine, Ipsy is getting better. Products are of good quality and if you review properly you can very much get things you need. I've gotten various good quality brushes mascara and liners which I mainly wanted to try.

From 4 random samples,its gotten easy to fine tune and has gotten much better quality samples.

I've been with Ipsy for 2 years. And I'm still happy to get my bags. They have beauty quiz that lets them know what kind of products you like the most, which works for me .I have retaken the quiz and my bags contain has changed. Of course, nobody can guarantee you won't receive something you don't like, but it's absolutely normal, since it's still sample service. The quiz is a guide for them, but they have to work with products featured. Their points system is great, I was able to get full size Benefit Cha Cha tint,Too Faced Born This Way foundation and Better Then Sex mascara and many more. Also they have this Sneak Peak thing, it feels like surprise every month, keeps you excited! They send a lot of full size products, sometimes it's high end, sometimes drug store (i don't see anything terrible in drug store brands). Sometimes you'll get brands that have never heard about (we're here to try new things and play around, aren't we?) Plus products come with a cute cosmetic bag, you can always give them to somebody or keep it all for yourself. Whole concept is just awesome. If you do use all type of make up products, if you're open for trying different shades, if you do understand that it's a sample service you'll be happy with Ipsy as much as i am. $10 a month. It's totally worth it! Here's link

on 6/15/2016 11:25:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Over the past year I’ve been subscribed to the beauty subscription box service Ipsy Glambags. Today I’m going to be doing a special retrospective episode where I look back at the past 12 bags I’ve received and give you an overview of the service.

Ipsy Glambags were one of the first beauty subscription services and it was founded by OG beauty youtuber Michelle Phan. It’s $10 USD a month or you prepay a year for $110.00. If you’re Canadian you have to pay an additional 4.95 USD per month so it’s $14.95 USD per month - or $169.95 USD/year (which is what I did).

I paid $169.95 USD for the year long subscription. According to my summary spreadsheets I received about $600 in products. On average the bags contained $50 worth of products (5 items per bag),so each item was worth about $10. The average star rating (out of 5) that I gave each product was 3 stars.

About 53% of the items I received were cosmetics, 22% was skincare, 12% brushes, 8% hair products, 3% nail products, & 2% perfume. The bags are customizable based on the reviews you leave the items you receive so you might receive a different % of stuff. For example I ended up telling Ipsy Glambags that I didn’t want to receive nail polish.

40% or 24 items were what I considered full size (a size you can buy from the manufacturer, including travel size if available) and the remaining 60% or 36 items were sample sized products.

To break down these numbers further, out of the 60 products I recieved: 13 skincare items, 8 lip products, 8 eyeshadows, 7 cheek products (bronzers, blush, or highlighters), 7 makeup brushes, 5 hair products, 5 eyeliners, 3 masaras, 2 nail polishes, 1 perfume & one foundation - actually it was a bb cream.

Of the 60 products I received I ended up decluttering (or getting rid of) 28 items - that’s 45% of the items. I ended up completely using 10 items (which is the end goal, right?). That’s about 16%. And I’m currently using the other 24 items (about 39%). Remember, my subscription just ended 1 month ago. I discovered a total of 4 HG status items (less than 1%).

Looking at this chart you can see I actually gave out a ton of 5 star ratings - about 23% of the items I received a gave 5 out of 5 stars. I gave about 30% of the items a rating between 3 and 4.5 stars. I gave about 17% of the items a 2.5 star rating or what I consider a passing score. 25% of the items I received I scored between 0 stars (the item was broken) and 2 stars. The two items that broke on me were both brushes which both fell apart - one from Luxie beauty and one from Elizabeth Mott. A 3 star average per item is a pretty good rating, I’d say - on average I liked most items I received.

I hadn’t used any products from these bags before so I can credit the Ipsy service for introducing me to these brands and products. Overall I recieved items from 44 unique brands during my year of service.

Although the numbers add up to me receiving $600 of product total or $50 of product each month I feel more like I received about half of that. If I were to blindly guess I would say each bag had more like $25 of product or $300 per year of value which does line up to the amount of product I kept or used up vs decluttered since I decluttered about half of the stuff I received. That’s still more than you pay for the total subscription. I think my biggest pet peeve about the bags were that sometimes samples were too small - eyeshadows or bronzers especially came in tiny pans that I didn’t bother to use since it was a pain to use the products. I really loved receiving the eyeliners, mascaras and lip products regardless of if they were full size or sample size.

I received all of my bags between the 15th and 25th of the monthly, usually toward the end of the month here in Canada. I was always able to track my bags online and never had any problems or had to reach out to customer service. Cancelling my subscription was super easy. Since I signed up for a year - after I was subscribed I went back into my account and hit unsubscribe so that I wouldn’t be billed for the following year. I had no problems cancelling and it was super easy to do on the website.

Speaking of the website - the website itself is top notch. It keeps an archive of the past bags you have received and all the items contained within those bags. Each item has it’s own page with instructions, ingredients and size information. You can review each product you received to help customize your bag to your preferences. For example you can tell them you don’t want to receive any more products of a certain type or brand. I told them not to send my any more nail polishes. You can also tell them you love receiving certain types, brands, formulas, shades and more! Reviewing products also nets you those beauty points which you can redeem for full sized products.

By the end of the year I did feel like it was a good time to take a little bit of a break from the Ipsy Glambag subscription service. I did feel like it was getting a little bit repetitive and that I’d like to shake things up a little bit. I was previously subscribed a few years back and that is what caused my to unsubscribe a long time ago as well. I did enjoy this year of subscriptions and I would recommend that if you are looking for a good beauty subscription box to check out Ipsy. It is the gold-standard, OG, safe and reliable beauty box, in my humble opinion. You won’t have any issues with shipping or your subscription, and on average the items are pretty good. It can be a great way to discover new brands. It would also be a fantastic gift for the beauty lover in your life.

Overall, I am going to give Ipsy Glambag 4 stars out of 5. While I am currently unsubscribed I would think about re-subscribing in the future once I’ve tried out some other subscription services.

on 7/11/2016 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I joined Ipsy in May.So far...so good.The products are well over $10.00 and I enjoy the bags.I use them to separate my makeup products.I did not like a bright red nail polish but I do nail art on myself a lot and I collect nail polish and I would wear this on my toes.The company is easy to get a hold of so formAlly of people complain! It's been good .It's nice to have new things to use and try instead of me buying more makeup I don't need out of wanting something new.lol.I have enough makeup and it costs a lot of money and I hate wasting money on things I already have.

You sign up and WHAM! Placed on a waitlist that forces you to spam people to get off of. This is AFTER you've given Ipsy your credit card/payment info.
There is NO customer service line, nor refunds. Emails are automated & do not address your issue. Facebook page comments are answered by 2 women, who I suspect are employees, in an incredibly rude manner. Tweets are ignored. If you try to email them again, after being ignored, you get bumped to the end of the line- regardless of how long you've been waiting for a response.
Ipsy is quick to take your money on the 1st, but slow to ship. Shipping is done in three batches. You may not get your bag for the month in THAT month, or at all. Shipping estimates & actual shipping dates change constantly, getting further out each time. Any inquires are met by the same bot response about the shipping being done in 3 batches, regardless of your actual question or how late your bag is.
You DO get to "peek" into your bag & see what you're getting (that is, IF you get it), only to find that your beauty preferences are completely ignored by the company.
My one & only bag, which never arrived, didn't even have makeup in it, just mascara & a highlighter stick. The rest appears to be the type of samples you get in the mail.
When you go to cancel your service, the buttons you must click are purposely misleading, but even worse- your purchase history & shipping info for any bag you've yet to receive are completely wiped clean. Be sure to screenshot & copy down all this information prior to cancelling your subscription!
Ipsy is terrible & I would recommend it only to someone I hated.

on 4/9/2016 5:56:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Great service for the first year or so. I got a variety of brands, a variety of colours, and they did a good job matching my preferences.

I'm assuming they only get sent so much different stuff to distribute to customers by the brands though. After the first year, I started getting almost all lotions/ hair care in my bags. I subbed for the actual makeup, so I had to cancel. They don't like to send out duplicates, so I'm guessing that I probably received all the things that I actually like, then I was getting what was left that I hadn't received yet.

I'd definitely recommend trying it out for a few months, as the bags are really fun when you're still getting a variety of items.

When filling out your profile, you need to weigh how you answer for your preferences. Colour, brand and type of product are all factored into what you get. So say you don't like eye shadow, but for colour preference, you select you like adventurous colours. If the majority of makeup options that month are nude, but then there's a purple eyeshadow option, you may get it still because it matches your colour preferences. The same goes with brands. You may select that you don't want skincare, but you select Clinique as a brand preference because you like their makeup. Since they make a ton of skin care products, you might get a skin care product from them because you like the brand, even though you selected no for skin care. I find that it's usually the brand and product type preferences that clash the most. In order to maximize the chance of getting something you want, it's best to check out each brands range of products before choosing your brand preferences. If you hate nail polish but find out that 80% of a brand's products are nail polish, you might not want to select that brand, even if they happen to make a handful of eye or face products you might want to try, since it's more likely that a sample from that brand will be a nail polish.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

When my daughter worked in the beauty department of a major magazine, she frequently sent me packages of hair, skin care and makeup products, most of which I'd never heard of. What a treat!

No longer there, for my b'day S. bought me a subscription to Ipsy. I love it! Every month the bright pink envelope arrives with five products, generally geared to my age and whatever my daughter wrote on my profile. While not every item is a winner, I've been turned on to a plethora of products, several of which I subsequently purchased full-size.

The price of the contents almost always exceeds the $10 monthly cost of Ipsy. With my annual subscription running out and my birthday on the horizon I already told my daughter what I'd like as a gift: another years' worth of goodies!

on 4/14/2016 2:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I just cancelled my subscription because I wasn't getting products i liked. I was getting nail polishes in colors that weren't too wearable and lots of hand creams. Waste of money.

on 4/21/2016 5:11:00 AM

I have been very happy with my ipsy glam bag. I have received three so far. I have never received less than 5 items and for April I had 7! I think it's well worth the ten bucks a month. There have only been a couple of things that I likely won't use, but I have many female relatives and friends that I can share these things with. This is my first and only beauty box type of subscription and I love it! My neighbor introduced me to ipsy and I am glad she did. It's like a little surprise gift to myself each month. (I never look online to see what my bag will contain for that very reason). I plan to use the makeup bags that I don't need as gift bags filled with any goodies I put in them!

Popular Other Products