Dove Style+Care Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse

Dove Style+Care Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse

3.8

on 4/30/2016 10:01:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I have thin wavy hair, this mousse sucks. It may make my hair look wet, and on good days add slight curl/waves. BUT, it makes my hair feel dry and breaks off. Especially if I try to diffuse it! I was not using a lot either, like I would spray the least amount possible on my finger. Sucks, I guess it works for others but not me.

on 12/14/2015 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I was so excited to buy this after reading the review by scopingfor you below. I also have very fine hair with weak curls (but a stubborn wave) and dry ends. I like to wear my hair curly, but it's far from a low maintenance look for me, involving a carefully timed plopping interval, scrunching, diffusing, etc. Still, I have my routine down and was excited to sub this in for my usual, pretty "meh" curl promoting product, especially if I could use it throughout my hair and forego a separate lightweight volumizing mousse at my roots. Sadly, this does nothing to activate my curls and makes my hair go greasy twice as fast, despite the truly shocking amount of dry shampoo I use as a prophylactic measure and to build volume/texture (I'm sorry, atmosphere).

Weirdly--given that this is a "curly" product and I do have plenty of "straight" products--this is probably the best product I have ever used to prep my hair for blowing out and then using a hot air brush. I have the very well reviewed John Frieda hot air brush (4.9 on here) but was always disappointed with my results, which lasted about 15 minutes anyway. After this mousse completely defeated my weak-ass curls for the second time, I decided to switch styling tracks in a last ditch effort to not look a mess. Lo and behold, my hair blew out better than ever, the hot air brush actually worked to make it even smoother and straighter (although truly my natural wave will not be defeated), and it mostly stayed that way.

The problem? The greasy root situation. The packaging allows you to dispense far less product than is normally the case with a mousse (as a thin haired lady, the struggle to not get too much product is real, so I notice and appreciate this), but even the smallest amount of this product, even with my best efforts to avoid my roots, is just too much for my hair. Because of the time it takes me to style my hair, and my desire to avoid damage as much as possible, I try to go for at least a few days between washes, but I can't go more than a couple of days when I use this.

Bottom line is that I can't recommend this to people with fine hair, especially if you tend toward greasy roots with dry ends. The last time I used this, I was very conscious of the texture of the product when I rubbed it between my hands after dispensing (a tiny amount). It looked--and felt--more like a styling cream than a traditional mousse. Derrrrp. Of course it didn't work for me. And if styling creams are normally too heavy for you too, take a pass on this one.

To Read all 23 Reviews, Login or Join

on 12/12/2015 10:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

All slip and no hold. Did me no favors with frizz control or hold, the silicones make my hair limp after a few hours. And it made every bit of skin it touched itch like mad.

on 10/14/2015 1:54:00 PM

First time I tried this, I used the amount I was used to using with previous products and I hated it- Second time I was a bit more careful, used a single squirt and it was perfect! No crunch, no spikes, just my own soft curls. So I went out and got 6 cans just in case... I add this right out of the shower on towel dried hair, finger comb it in and add a few clips to hold it off my head to add some lift. Then I walk around and do my thing while it air dries. Clips out, and I'm good to go.

on 8/1/2015 9:01:00 PM

I have used this product going on two years. I have continued to use it because every time I hope to find a better product , I am unhappy, and send my hubby to the store to grab this mouse. Then I don't try again until that can runs out.
It is better than good but I feel certain there are better options. I like that my hair feel silky after blow drying. The volume is medium. I don't find my hair feels dried out after long term use.
It is the better side of a goid mousse. No more.
I am on makeup alley right now researching better options for volume. I recently got a shorter invented bob cut, I need height!

on 6/29/2015 10:56:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this product. I have fine, straight hair that has thinned as I've aged. This product gives my hair great body. It does feel rather greasy coming out of the nozzle. But don't let that alarm you. It does not feel greasy after application and blow drying. I hope they keep making this!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

NO. Not for my wimpy 2A2B wavy thin hair. It has soooo much slip and feels very heavy. I also do not like the scent. I've tried to work with it and it is ok for a short time and then my hair just wilts quickly so it does not hold my style very long at all. Does not fight frizz. Not a fan. I am going to try this Suave mousse everyone raves about.

PROS: I LOVE this product for my very fine, dry-ends, weak-curls hair. Thank you so much to those who had taken the time to post reviews for this. I probably would not have tried it, otherwise. This activates my very weak curls, and it leaves no crunch. (If any does remain after air drying, I can run my fingers through, and the crunch is gone, WITHOUT destroying the curl or making the ends go frizzy.) I have very fine hair that this does not weigh down, even though I apply it throughout my hair, from root to ends. It smells nice, not overpowering.(I'm very sensitive to smells and cannot use brands like "Pantene" because of allergies.) It leaves a softness, lessening frizz, while still not being heavy on my hair or weighing my curls down. Inexpensive for the great quality.

CONS: I don't have one. If you don't like a mousse that is somewhat nourishing, you may prefer something else, like Suave's mousse for curly hair with the green cap.

APPLICATION TIPS: I apply this from roots to ends. I do try to apply a little more lightly than I would with some products, because a small amount will go a long way.

ALTERNATES: Tresemme Undone Sea Foam is nice too (but doesn't activate my curls quite as much and does not define them as much.)

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I've been using this product a pretty long time- I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th can of it at this point. I realized recently...I don't actually like this stuff.

Maybe it used to work better on my hair and just stopped. But lately, when I put it onto my short, color-treated, fine-with-a-bit-of-wave hair it gets so HEAVY. It doesn't really define or enhance my waves. It doesn't leave your hair crunky, but I've noticed that my scalp feels sticky when I wear it.

I think this would work well if you've got thicker hair that needs a little extra conditioning with your styling product. Like a lot of Dove products, it has a lovely scent. I think my hair just doesn't like it anymore :-(

on 2/10/2015 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The look and consistency is reminiscent of whipped cream and it offers good curl definition without any crunchiness or stickiness. It smells very nice and controls frizz decently. My only problem with it is that there is no hold. I might have to combine it with a gel to get the hold I need as my curls start to droop at the end of the day with this if I don't. I use about a golf ball size for my long hair. This is affordable too. I love to use it on lazy days when I don't feel like using a bunch of products. It keeps the volume in my hair but doesn't give much shine. It should be perfect for those with fine to medium textured hair.