Tarina Tarantino Jewel Shadow Palette - delightful

No Image

3.5

on 4/10/2014 10:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

First mistake on my part was buying this sight unseen/tested from Hautelook. Second mistake was not being mindful of the previous review. Of this palette only one color, a matte deep brown, is wearable in a realistic way on me. The other 4 are not atrocious but are frosty over kill and together are useless to me. I don't have very crepey lids but these make mine look as I do. Unfortunate.
If and thats a big if, if you favor light frosty eyeshadow in pink, shell, white and taupe then this is the palette for you. In all honesty these colors/finishes are so similar they are best relegated to being highlight colors.
The compact is a hefty and good sized oval but, I needed a metal nail file to pry the top up. Yes. Opening this compact will break your nail, it did my husband's.
I also purchased a duo eyeshadow from TT. Same thing. Too light and frosty. Me. Bad. Her lipstick and gloss on the other hand. Stunning. Reviews to follow.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I bought this on sale. It was $20 and I got 20% off, so $16 before tax. It was the only Tarina Tarantino palette of the 5 I saw that I could rationalize purchasing. I am a matte-a-holic, so shimmery shadows are not my preference.

Sephora sales make you do crazy things.

When I got home and swatched it on my arm, I realize it was a dead on dupe for Dior Earth Reflection. Even as I'm writing this, I'm beginning to see the similarity in her other palettes with some permanent Dior palettes. I think this is the closest, shade for shade.

Given that info, this is a steal. If I had to liken her shadows to anyone elses, I would say Dior, with Stila (frosty shades, mostly) coming in at a slightly distant 2nd. These shadows are very pigmented. They also have that Dior heavy shadow layer feel about them.

I should mention that I am not necessarily a Dior enthusiast. I think Dior suffers from too much hype syndrome.

I'm rambling now. Bottom line: this is a great deal. If you just bought Earth Reflection and live near Sephora, return it and buy this. You'll save $40.

Popular Eye Shadows