Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk

Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk

4.1

Deionized Water , Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut) , Sugar Starch , Silk Protein , Essential Oil Blend , Melia Azadirachta Seed Oil (Neem) , Caprylyl Glycol , Sorbitol Esters , Algae Extract , Hlyssopus Officinalis Extract , Salvia Officinalis Leaf and Equisetum Arvense Extract (Sage) , Daucus Carota Sativa Seed Oil (Carrot) , Tocopherol (Vitamin E)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

A HG item if mine, this product tames frizz and adds curl and shine for a lovely result. All natural made with neem oil which promotes growth. A must try, smells wonderful too :)

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Let me start by saying this product does a pretty good job at defining and moisturizing curls. However, I feel like it was too much moisture for my hair because my hair always felt greasy afterwards. I usually have a hard time finding products that work for indian hair because most products are either directed towards white people hair or african hair and either are too drying or too moisturizing for my hair. If you are looking for a moisturizing product that will define your curls this is it, but be warned that it can leave medium-thick and thin hair very greasy. Also the smell is extremely overpowering which is the deal with all SM products, the smell also really put me off. I probably will not repurchase but it was a good leave in that defined.

Oh and for the record my hair is 3a curly medium thick

To Read all 64 Reviews, Login or Join

on 6/23/2016 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I loved the way my hair felt after using this. After washing with the Shea Moisture Moisture Intensive Hydration shampoo and following with the companion mask as a rinse out, I would use this milk as a leave in and air dry my hair. I loved how my relaxed hair looked after it air dried--still moisturized and soft. HOWEVER, I kept noticing a great deal of hair loss while combing this through my hair - when I used something else I didn't have the shedding while detangling, when I went back to it, I had the excessive shedding so I had to stop using it. I still gave it 4 stars because it gave great results on my relaxed hair but my hair does not seem to like silk protein and it is high on the list. Defiantly give it a try as it may work for you and the results can be very good.

on 5/31/2016 6:42:00 AM

I have a friend with gorgeous 3c curls. She uses this with Deva Arc Angel. Now she has much thicker hair and much stronger springier perfect corkscrews. It is the kind of hair my 2A, wavy to curly, uber fine hair could only dream of. So I tried the Milk in several different ways, by itself, replacing my current curl cream (Deva Styling Cream), and with Arc Angel. At first my hair feels off, it feels lighter, soft, curls look nice, but slightly droopy not as body waved. I kind of like it thinking what a great drug store find! But as the day goes on, my hair just starts to fall apart. The curls start drooping more and getting pulled out to waves. It gets fly away ish in parts and by the end of a fresh hair wash day, I am left with what normally is the end of second day hair. So I think this stuff is just still too heavy for me hair.

on 4/8/2016 2:50:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I always come back to this after trying other leave-ins because it does a great job at moisturizing my hair and making my curls pop, however I can't use this as a sole styler and have to follow up with a gel which I don't mind because I prefer a gel styler over creams. I like for a cream to give my curls definition as this does but I don't rely on creams for hold. This also has coconut oil which can act as a protein, so you have to be careful how much you use if your hair is protein sensitive. Which my hair is so I only apply it on wash day and use something else to moisturize my hair inbetween washes, I also use a prep product on my hair before using this as this wouldn't control frizz enough on its own for me. This is a great product but you have to find out how it works best for you.

I like it ,it's moisturising and defines my 2c hair beautifully. I use it to style my hair in a ponytail or bun. Brilliant product !

on 2/23/2016 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

So I tried this as a curl definer, and had no luck. I have been using as a leave in conditioner type product, which isn't something I really need from this line. I love this specific line from Shea moisture, but I don't see a difference between this and the rinse out conditioner, which works as a fine leave in in small amounts. I'll use up the one bottle I have and won't be repurchasing. It just isn't something I need in my drawer and it is taking up space. It's moisturizing, leaves hair soft, as one would expect with a good leave in. It does not help with frizz on its own or define waves and curls alone either. It's a good price and a quality leave in, but I just don't see enough of a difference to have this instead of just using a bit of the conditioner (which I use daily) as a leave in.

Update: I've been playing with this a bit on dry hair. I'm not sure I'll repurchase, but I've had some luck with using a small amount on dry hair to add some moisture, manage frizz, and add some texture for a bun or braid. Just another way I'm using up this product that I figured I'd add to the review.

on 2/18/2016 10:03:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I have long 2a/2b wavy/fine Caucasian hair. This product works great as a leave-in before applying a hard hold curl gel. I'll scrunch both products into my hair and let it air dry about 40-50% before blow drying with a diffuser. After my hair has completely dried I end up with beautifully defined curls. Like others have said, this isn't really a good frizz fighting product, but it works great as a base/primer for my styling gel.

on 12/30/2015 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

To my beautiful mamacitas with thick, luscious curls which no product has ever had the privilege of holding - beHOLD. This product will be your holy grail.

I have curly and frizzy hair, which is super voluminous (which my curly girls probably know can be a blessing and a curse). After washing my hair, I apply this product evenly throughout my hair, focusing on the body and ends. The key is to use the perfect amount... too little won't do the trick and too much will make it look too oily. I use a quarter sized amount (that is, a Canadian quarter) and it seems to do the work. And then I take a little more and focus on the ends. And Voila! My hair looks beautiful. It even lasts the next day without touch ups! The only thing is, they don't sell it in Canada anymore and I always have to get it from the States, so it's around $12.00. Totally worth it. And oh! I forgot the best part. It's paraben and sulfate free!

Enjoy ladies!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I've been using this for a couple of years, off and on. It was a hard product to like; some days my hair turned out great and others it was awful. I finally figured out how to best use it, though, and I am happier with it now.

The secret, at least for me, is that I have to apply it when my hair is sopping wet. Then squeeze gently with a microfiber towel, and plop in the same towel for awhile.

The result I get is thick, defined sausage curls. I have to be careful not to apply too much, because it *can* be too heavy and weigh my hair down.

The only big negative about this product is that it does NOTHING to prevent frizz for me, so I am looking for something that will. I still use this though. I rated the packaging low because I would really prefer it in a pump bottle.