Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto

Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto

4.2

on 2/25/2016 11:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

For me, this is a very 'grown up' scent. I usually go for scents like Nina Ricci Nina L'Eau, Mark Jacob's Daisy or Victor & Rolf Flowerbomb which are all quite light and summery. However, Manifesto by YSL is much heavier, with blackcurrant, cedar core and sandalwood, and undertones of vanilla and Tonka bean. On me the blackcurrant and Tonka bean stands out, which are two scents I wouldn't usually find appealing. But in this, it works. And it lasts all day, which is just amazing as usually scents only last a few hours on me (something to do with the pH of my skin, I'm told).

The only downside for me is the bottle this comes in. It's soooo 1980s!! The first time I took it out of the box I couldn't believe how ugly it was. It truly looks like the sort of thing Joan Collins would have had on her dressing table in an episode of Dynasty. Whenever I see it on my dressing table, I can't help but imagine shoulder pads, power dressing women and men in badly cut suits. It's a good thing it smells so good, otherwise I'd hide it away in a cupboard!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is now my 2nd bottle of Manifesto. It's just so intoxicating, I love it. It's sensual, creamy floral, with a hint of vanilla. It stays for 6 hours, no joke, and it's hypnotic, addictive like a drug. I love smelling it on myself, and I also think the bottle is just gorgeous, easy to hold in the hand. This isn't the perfume for everyone because it's a little more grown up, more serious and adult than the really popular perfumes like Coco Mademoiselle. Unlike those perfumes, Manifesto doesn't smell perfume-y. It just sifts into my body chemistry and stays there, wooing me for hours with its subtle beauty vibe. I'm breathing in Manifesto as I write this - and I applied it 3 hours ago - just three quick sprays is all it takes.

The perfect scent. Thank you, YSL!!!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Saw this as a gift set (inc body lotion) in Boots for half price. It was the last one in the January sales I treated myself. It was £23 which is a bargain.

I have been testing it regularly over a year so I knew I liked it.

It is a grown up fruity smell with dark undertones and a sweetness. Not too sweet or fruity. Very sophisticated so appropriate for night or day wear. It reminds me of Dior Addict but with added fruitiness.

The only negative is that the sandalwood can be a little heavy so I may not be able to wear it every day.

on 5/17/2013 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Contains notes of Jasmine, Wood, Vanilla, Tonka Bean. When first use it I smell a burst of fruity black current/plum with a undertone of woodsy vanilla. After it settles into my skin I can smell a blend of jasmine, vanilla, wood, musky- a bit powdery and musky. It smells soft, warm, and comforting. It reminds me of VS Heavenly and Emporio Armani She perfumes. If you like those two fragrances I would check out Manifesto. I find it does last through out the day but doesn't smell strong. It lingers but doesn't overpower.

I did find it a bit expensive- ( retail prices .34 roller ball $25, 1oz EDP $62, 1.7oz EDP $82, & 3.0 oz EDP $102 ) I have seen a gift set with the 1oz and 3oz for $112. I was able get the 1oz via a Sephora inside JC Penny Perfume Sampler kit for $50- the kit contained samples of various samples a full sized Sephora by OPI nail polish in "I'm Wired" and a voucher to purchase a small bottle of one of the samples.

I did have a problem with redeeming my voucher at the Sephora inside JC Penny even thought I bought the set there. There is a misprint in the fine print that says it CAN NOT be redeemed at the SJCP. Even though in the title it says it's JC Penny exclusive kit. So- there is a chance that both stores will not redeem the voucher.

My experience was when I went to the SJCP I was denied redemption of the voucher due the fine print and was told to go to the freestanding store. I expressed my concern that I purchased the kit at SJCP and was unhappy and though it was strange I was unable to redeem it at their location. The SA thought the kit was a return from a freestanding store and was adamant that I had to redeem it at the freestanding store.

I went to the freestanding store only to find out that Manifesto is not sold at any freestanding store within 50 miles. They were nice enough to call up SJCP. SJCP made an "exception" to let me redeem the voucher. Otherwise the freestanding store was willing to let me purchase Manifesto out of pocket @ SJCP and let me return and redeem the voucher at their store. A huge hassle but at least I got what I wanted. If they were not able to accommodate me- I would have returned the kit. But at that point how could SJCP deny it was a misprint- I would have had the kit and receipt- it proves it was bought at their location. They also had the same exact kit in stock and could have taken a look to see it was a mistake. I can see this as a major problem if you don't have freestanding store nearby or they don't carry the fragrance you want.

on 5/5/2013 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I just bought myself a 30% discounted gift set of YSL Manifesto (because our Dillard's is closing) and I like it very much, but it's a tough one for me to figure out and a tough one for me to review. Basically, I'd call it a Soft Gourmand With Cream + a little Baby Powder.

This is very hard for me to get my nose around and describe, but I'll give it a shot: 1/4 Alien + 1/4 Angel + 1/2 Victoria's Secret Heavenly. With maybe some Addict or Euphoria added too. It's kind of like the love-child of Euphoria and VS Heavenly. Or Angel and VS Heavenly.

It has the jasmine & woods of Alien, the gourmand of Angel (and/or Addict or Euphoria), sunken into a pillowy creamy soft round white vanilla, like Heavenly. It starts off with the first and works its way down into the last. The topnotes sink into the soft base, and the drydown is quite soft -- yet still has the interesting gourmandy top and middle notes.

I think YSL tried and succeeded to incorporate the best qualities (and eliminate the worst) of several of today's popular trends in scent. It's equal parts gourmandy and creamy. Not new or groundbreaking, since it's a mish-mash of others we're familiar with. It's a nice blend to me -- easy to wear day after day -- for any occasion. Manifesto would make a good go-to or signature, all-occasion, all-purpose perfume.

Oscar-nominated actress Jessica Chastain is the face of Manifesto (from "The Help" and "Zero Dark Thirty"), and I like the bottle a lot -- clear, so we can see how much we have left, tall & narrow for easy storage, with a beautiful purple "waistband" and gold cap.

ADDENDUM 9/12/16: I bought the Manifesto Elixir a few months ago -- and it's not really stronger, but it's richer and very well-blended. I prefer Elixir over orig EDP.

on 10/21/2012 7:38:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is to me one of the best launches of 2012!! Yes different from what YSL usually creates, but what a lovely rich and seductive scent!! It smells wonderful, sweet yet not in a youthful candy way, more like a well balanced sweetness that mixes nicely with green notes to create a great smelling scent!! I have used 2 bottles of it so far, I love feminine scents, and Manifesto is a feminine enduring distinctive scent!!
It is compared to Flowerbomb yet it is far more complex, more interesting, and not so linear!!

Popular Fragrances