Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto

Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto

3.4

on 2/25/2016 11:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

For me, this is a very 'grown up' scent. I usually go for scents like Nina Ricci Nina L'Eau, Mark Jacob's Daisy or Victor & Rolf Flowerbomb which are all quite light and summery. However, Manifesto by YSL is much heavier, with blackcurrant, cedar core and sandalwood, and undertones of vanilla and Tonka bean. On me the blackcurrant and Tonka bean stands out, which are two scents I wouldn't usually find appealing. But in this, it works. And it lasts all day, which is just amazing as usually scents only last a few hours on me (something to do with the pH of my skin, I'm told).

The only downside for me is the bottle this comes in. It's soooo 1980s!! The first time I took it out of the box I couldn't believe how ugly it was. It truly looks like the sort of thing Joan Collins would have had on her dressing table in an episode of Dynasty. Whenever I see it on my dressing table, I can't help but imagine shoulder pads, power dressing women and men in badly cut suits. It's a good thing it smells so good, otherwise I'd hide it away in a cupboard!

Manifesto is really not bad! It has hints of vanilla and the smell lasts really long. If you're a vanilla lover, this would be perfect! Not too impressed with the packaging..

The scent really does get a little addictive. It doesn't changemuch throughout the day and I love that it stays true to it's original scent.

I would say the scent is really thick and warm though. If you're looking for a lighter, and less overpowering fragrance, this wouldn't be for you.

on 12/4/2014 11:06:00 PM

I loved this fragrance when I sprayed it in Shopper's, but was hesitant to buy it because I had not heard of it before. The lady at the counter assured me that she had purchased it and knew it was long lasting. I ended up purchasing the box set instead of getting Dior Hypnotic Poison like I had planned (I own & love Dior Pure Poison!). I regret this decision.... smells great when first sprayed but has a lasting power of about 10 minutes. Don't waste your money!

on 9/18/2014 10:21:00 AM

I bought this based on reviews-mistake!! Initially smells praline-like/vanilla but the dry down is just terrible!! I know it's probably just a chemistry thing but yuck!i! Why is it when you love a fragrance it never lasts but when you hate one it lingers ALL day!

on 2/28/2014 3:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Meh... It smells almost exactly like Emporio Armani, the steelgrey bottle. While I love that, I don't love a copycat... Bottle design reminds me of the all those celeb fragrances, bit on the cheap side. Sorry all you lovers, this is just a miss as far as I'm concerned.

on 2/5/2014 6:41:00 PM

Love, love, love this! (Did I mention I love this?) :-) Even though this is over my price range, I splurged before the holidays and purchased a gift set--perfume and body lotion.
I was so excited. It smelled on me exactly the way it smelled on the paper sampler. And it lasted a long time, too. What a yummy and sultry and smooth scent; all in one! Love all the vanilla! One problem: It makes my nose run. Both times I wore it, my nose was runny. Both times, when I washed it off, my nose dried up. Obviously there's something in Manifesto that doesn't agree with me. And that's weird because no other perfumes I have, have done this to me. Sadly, I had to return my purchase to the store. I've tried to find other perfumes that are similar to this wonderful/enticing scent, but to no avail. Gals, this is a great one, especially with you like vanilla. Besides vanilla, it's both a little fruity and a little floral.
The name should be "Perfecto".

on 9/8/2013 11:18:00 AM

Manifestos often make me think of extremes but YSL's Manifesto runs in the opposite direction. It's about a little bit of this and a little bit of that. A pleasant, almost seamless balance of things - actually little bits of so many different things that it's bound to catch you with something. And in my experience, the early excitement fades off quite fast, leaving you with something slightly bland... like that scent on a silk scarf; again, a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

When I first tried it some time ago, I was overjoyed, almost felt like laughing in the dull department shop I was in. Manifesto opened with cool, airy and half sweet- half sour black currants. Then it turned slightly vanillic, slightly powdery (make-up bag), slightly ambery and even slightly coconutty. Like a melange of everything on the shelves.

I craved for it for a whole month, couldn't get it off my mind and eventually became the proud owner of my own tacky bottle. Soon though, the excitement faded and Manifesto became my everyday fragrance for work because it's acceptable and non-offensive. I ran through my bottle pretty quickly, earned a couple of compliments, caught some exciting whiffs around myself from time to time; but the love affair is over. Nice for autumn though.

Good sillage and good lasting power with multiple spritzes.

on 9/2/2013 10:57:00 AM

I bought the small bottle after smelling this because I loved it! Sweet, vanilla but not cloying & floral - thought it would be my new signature fragrance however it has zero lasting power on me :( I literally can't smell it an hour after I applied. The do make a perfume rollerball so I tried that to increase longevity but got tired of re-applying

on 7/24/2013 3:47:00 PM

Normally I don't like sweet scents for me but this one won me over. I really love it. It's so light and sensual and feminine. Not too sweet, not too powdery just perfect, especially for Summer. Normally I don't like to stick to 1 perfume but I'd definitely buy this one again. I think it's worth trying.

on 6/23/2013 6:41:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Smooth, light, powdery flowers and a creamy wood base with resinous notes. Very wearable, very nice. Rich enough to be a night fragrance but still simple enough to be day wear. Very likable and since I'm not a huge Jasmine fan, a bit of a surprise.

Popular Fragrances