Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto

Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto

3.8

on 3/24/2013 5:49:00 PM

UPDATE: Hubby did give me this for our anniversary and I am over the moon. I love this scent so much! I stay with my below description. It's green, but not lettuce-smelling green (like a few I could mention). It's sweet, but not Aquolina Pink sweet (yuck!). It's a lovely fragrance for summer. For any time of the year, really. Yes, the bottle is tacky, but you don't have to carry it around, do you?

I got a good sample of this at Sephora. According to their site, the composition is this: Jasmine, Wood, Vanilla, Tonka Bean. I definitely smell the jas and the vanilla, and it's a match made in heaven. Sweet but not so much as to resemble candy floss. It's a greener, more grown-up sweet. Not as entrancing as the Maison de la Vanille stuff, but still, a very nice frag. I might ask hubby to give me this for our anniversary.

I too was a bit dismayed at the bottle. Then I looked at Niki Minaj, MJ's Dot, Betsy Johnson's black and pink tutu, and other similar bloody sacrifices made to the gods of bad taste and vulgarity, and suddenly the Manifesto bottle did not look too bad.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is now my 2nd bottle of Manifesto. It's just so intoxicating, I love it. It's sensual, creamy floral, with a hint of vanilla. It stays for 6 hours, no joke, and it's hypnotic, addictive like a drug. I love smelling it on myself, and I also think the bottle is just gorgeous, easy to hold in the hand. This isn't the perfume for everyone because it's a little more grown up, more serious and adult than the really popular perfumes like Coco Mademoiselle. Unlike those perfumes, Manifesto doesn't smell perfume-y. It just sifts into my body chemistry and stays there, wooing me for hours with its subtle beauty vibe. I'm breathing in Manifesto as I write this - and I applied it 3 hours ago - just three quick sprays is all it takes.

The perfect scent. Thank you, YSL!!!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

I was surprised by this amiable fragrance, because it has a cool spiciness to it a kick that is against the current trends. Reminiscent of Armani She, but swaddled in a layer of powdery, warm caramel that we have seen recently in Lancome La Vie est belle, its both with the trend (gourmand, thickly sweet) and off the beaten track. Shows how generic the mainstream has got that a lick of spicy coolness can appear off the beaten track.
The scent this is most like, but a dramatic improvement on (probably down to the more expensive, better quality ingredients) is Beyonces Pulse. I liked Pulse, but in the end it turned my stomach with its cloyingly synthetic heart, though I appreciate it for daring to be a little different. I guess, then, that means Manifesto is a bit of a rip-off of a celebrity scent, but the soft, creamy, yumminess makes me forgive all.
Longevity is pretty good, sillage is better than average, and the overall vibe of Manifesto is drinks with girls after work: sexing up a work outfit with shirt buttons undone to the cleavage and a slick of neon lip.

on 12/16/2013 8:38:00 AM

The other day I was deciding on my "scent of the day". I didn't want to smell like fruits and I didn't want to smell like a flower market either. I was in the mood to smell sweet....but not to sweet though. I didn't want to smell like a cupcake or a cake ala Fantasy and I didn't want to smell like cotton candy ala Meow or Pink Sugar. Then my eyes settled on Manifesto and I knew my scent of the day had been chosen. Manifesto is full of vanilla and Tonka so it is sweet. It's not a cupcake or a twirl of cotton candy. Manifesto is a beautiful, warm woody floral...with jasmine I think. I sprayed it on and let it settle on me and I noticed something sharp. A note that kept it from going into cake territory. I thought it might has been basil or coriander but it isn't. It is the cedar note. Manifesto is sweet. A wonderful warm sweet. I left my office for a few minutes ago when I wore this a few days ago and when I came back my office was filled with the most wonderful scent warm woody vanilla and cedar. The cedar almost brings Manifesto to masculine territory so it could work as a nice men's scent. Manifesto lasts and lasts and lasts and gives great projection too. A gourmand scent for grown ups. The bottle is stunning and looks very expensive. Definitely one of the better offerings of late which is a nice surprise.

on 9/8/2013 11:18:00 AM

Manifestos often make me think of extremes but YSL's Manifesto runs in the opposite direction. It's about a little bit of this and a little bit of that. A pleasant, almost seamless balance of things - actually little bits of so many different things that it's bound to catch you with something. And in my experience, the early excitement fades off quite fast, leaving you with something slightly bland... like that scent on a silk scarf; again, a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

When I first tried it some time ago, I was overjoyed, almost felt like laughing in the dull department shop I was in. Manifesto opened with cool, airy and half sweet- half sour black currants. Then it turned slightly vanillic, slightly powdery (make-up bag), slightly ambery and even slightly coconutty. Like a melange of everything on the shelves.

I craved for it for a whole month, couldn't get it off my mind and eventually became the proud owner of my own tacky bottle. Soon though, the excitement faded and Manifesto became my everyday fragrance for work because it's acceptable and non-offensive. I ran through my bottle pretty quickly, earned a couple of compliments, caught some exciting whiffs around myself from time to time; but the love affair is over. Nice for autumn though.

Good sillage and good lasting power with multiple spritzes.

on 5/5/2013 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I just bought myself a 30% discounted gift set of YSL Manifesto (because our Dillard's is closing) and I like it very much, but it's a tough one for me to figure out and a tough one for me to review. Basically, I'd call it a Soft Gourmand With Cream + a little Baby Powder.

This is very hard for me to get my nose around and describe, but I'll give it a shot: 1/4 Alien + 1/4 Angel + 1/2 Victoria's Secret Heavenly. With maybe some Addict or Euphoria added too. It's kind of like the love-child of Euphoria and VS Heavenly. Or Angel and VS Heavenly.

It has the jasmine & woods of Alien, the gourmand of Angel (and/or Addict or Euphoria), sunken into a pillowy creamy soft round white vanilla, like Heavenly. It starts off with the first and works its way down into the last. The topnotes sink into the soft base, and the drydown is quite soft -- yet still has the interesting gourmandy top and middle notes.

I think YSL tried and succeeded to incorporate the best qualities (and eliminate the worst) of several of today's popular trends in scent. It's equal parts gourmandy and creamy. Not new or groundbreaking, since it's a mish-mash of others we're familiar with. It's a nice blend to me -- easy to wear day after day -- for any occasion. Manifesto would make a good go-to or signature, all-occasion, all-purpose perfume.

Oscar-nominated actress Jessica Chastain is the face of Manifesto (from "The Help" and "Zero Dark Thirty"), and I like the bottle a lot -- clear, so we can see how much we have left, tall & narrow for easy storage, with a beautiful purple "waistband" and gold cap.

ADDENDUM 9/12/16: I bought the Manifesto Elixir a few months ago -- and it's not really stronger, but it's richer and very well-blended. I prefer Elixir over orig EDP.

on 7/5/2015 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I'm compelled to write this review solely based on the audacity of the YSL brand to put out something like this. Manifesto is such a mediocre offering not reflecting the YSL brand as a perfume power house; this smells like something Coty would put out as a flanker to luxury lines. I agree with the review below that it is very similar to Armani Code, especially in the middle notes and dry down. Code is actually a bit more interesting since I can actually detect berries and acidic qualities. Manifesto is all tonka beans and vanilla. Offensively inoffensive, if there is such a thing.

on 5/11/2013 10:36:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

YSL Manifesto eau de parfum is a sophisticated scent.
-the bottle design is mysterious and opulent
-ad campaign with Jessica Chastain- Bravo!
-a unique gourmand fragrance that is complex, creamy and sultry on my skin
-I can't compare this fragrance to any other fragrance as it would not be fair as Manifesto stands or sits crossed legged and sultry on its own ; )
-For reference I wear Alien, YSL Elle, Angel, Bvlgari Notte, Hermes Eau de Merveilles, Lolita, Montale Chocolate Greedy, Prada Candy, Sinner by Kat Von D and many more gourmand fragrances.
-highly addictive- upon first spritz I was enveloped in a crisp green, woody vanilla after a few moments the fragrance settles to a rich sambac jasmine and comes through to a dry down of a slightly oriental base of vanilla and tonka bean creaminess. Love...
-I adore everything about this gorgeously complex fragrance.
-excellent longevity- lasts all day and lingers until the morning-so sexy!

on 2/5/2013 2:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I was very keen to try this scent when it came out. I was drawn to the purple colour they used as it's my favourite colour. The scent is not something usual and groundbreaking and It smells very familiar to me. I could somehow smell 3 different scents mingled together while I was wearing this, Addict by Dior (the slight greeness), Fantasy by Britney Spears (the sweetness) and Emporio Armani She/Elle/Lei (the powderiness). It didn't smell exactly like any of these in particular, but I could just smell wafts that reminded me of these throughout the day. I do really like this, it's a wearable and lovely, good quality, long lasting scent that I would say could be worn casually or for a night out. I'll definitely wear what I have.

on 11/15/2016 10:28:00 PM

When I first tried Manifesto it was by no means "love at first sniff." I thought it lovely, simple, mature & pleasant, but I didn't rush to the register to purchase after testing.

Then it happened... as I made my way through the mall I kept thinking "who smells so good?!" It was me! It really grew on me. Because of the price, I STILL didn't return to Nordstrom to buy it. I would regret that decision a few hours later.

I got home that evening a good 5 hours later. Upon greeting my husband with our routine kiss he pressed his nose into my neck, inhaled deeply and emphatically exclaimed, "Mmmmmmmm, what are you wearing?" He ended up giving me 100 dollar bill and telling me to go back and buy it if I like it as much as he did. He has NEVER been that enthusiastic about a perfume I've worn like, EVER.

Still to this day I like it and wear it often and while I personally don't see it as a perfect scent, I get more compliments on it than anything else I've ever worn hands down! It seems to be a safe scent that is well received by almost everyone. Men just love it! For this reason I will always have a bottle on hand. Oh, and it lasts and lasts. Mega staying power. My coat still smells like it from 3 days ago.

Popular Fragrances