Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto

Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto

3.8

on 6/19/2016 10:06:00 AM

This perfume was a major let down. I don't know why but it smells very weird and it's one of those scents that I usually picture grandmas wearing! It's very strong but after a while you can't really smell it anymore as if it vanishes with time. I feel bad for not liking it because it's quite expensive but to be completely honest it's still sitting there on my shelf like an ornament.

on 2/25/2016 11:33:00 AM

For me, this is a very 'grown up' scent. I usually go for scents like Nina Ricci Nina L'Eau, Mark Jacob's Daisy or Victor & Rolf Flowerbomb which are all quite light and summery. However, Manifesto by YSL is much heavier, with blackcurrant, cedar core and sandalwood, and undertones of vanilla and Tonka bean. On me the blackcurrant and Tonka bean stands out, which are two scents I wouldn't usually find appealing. But in this, it works. And it lasts all day, which is just amazing as usually scents only last a few hours on me (something to do with the pH of my skin, I'm told).

The only downside for me is the bottle this comes in. It's soooo 1980s!! The first time I took it out of the box I couldn't believe how ugly it was. It truly looks like the sort of thing Joan Collins would have had on her dressing table in an episode of Dynasty. Whenever I see it on my dressing table, I can't help but imagine shoulder pads, power dressing women and men in badly cut suits. It's a good thing it smells so good, otherwise I'd hide it away in a cupboard!

To Read all 38 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/19/2016 10:00:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Interesting fragrance choice for me, I usually lean more towards sweet and fruity but lately I am trying out more musky floral type fragrances. This doesn't smell much like vanilla to me, I know others have said it has that note in it but it's not present on me at all. I picked this up in the eau de parfum rollerball from sephora (a great way to try out new fragrances without committing to a whole bottle). I find it's quite long lasting and a scent I really enjoy wearing for fall/winter. It's unlikely I'll use it in the spring and summer. Would repurchase.

on 2/10/2016 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I love this more than I thought I would. Vanilla picked up with fresh black currant. On me it develops into something that smells a bit like an almond cookie. Light, but rich. Yum! :)

on 2/4/2016 1:32:00 AM

I really like this perfume. I have tried several different high end perfumes, and have several bottles of them still. I asked for some lady samples when I bought my boyfriend's black code and I got this one as one of the samples. I tried it and I was very intrigued. There was something about it though, that made me think of some kind of after shave and left me uncertain how I felt about it. I kind of didn't like it, but at the same time, I really did like it.

Over the next several days, I kept reapplying the sample of this stuff and I couldn't stop smelling it. I started to fall in love with it. But I still didn't know what people around me would think of it. I asked my boyfriend if he liked the scent and he said, "Yes. That smells really nice, actually." I told him he could buy that for me for Christmas if he wanted :p that is the real test.. I wouldn't buy any perfume if he disliked it.

Anyway.. So I got the full size bottle for Christmas and a small body lotion in this scent and a really nice YSL case that wasn't even available as an additional gift. My bf has a way with words :p

I only have one complaint though.. It doesn't last long. It smells really strong when you first apply it. After a few minutes, it calms down but then idk maybe a few hours later I don't smell it on me at all but can still smell it faintly on my wrists. Then a while later, the smell is completely gone. It does however, last on your clothes. I put it on my sweater one time and the next time I wore it, I smelled the yumminess.

I won't remove one point for that reason, though. I still love it.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I recently bought the Manifesto rollerball and I'm in love! I'm definitely going to be picking up a bottle of this stuff when I get the chance. It's a very strong vanilla-ish scent. I find it to be a really elegant perfume and it lasts so long (seriously if I don't shower at night and I can smell it on my pillow the next morning). Less is definitely more with this stuff, because I find if I put too much on the smell is very overpowering, but in moderation it's a wonderful perfume. That being said, I hate the packaging. I feel with a brand like YSL, the packaging should be top-notch (especially since you're paying a lot for the product). Manifesto's packaging looks tacky to me. (Why is that weird jewel thing in the centre of the bottle? Is it supposed to look like a upright bow? I just do not understand.) I expected more from the brand in that regard. But I buy my perfumes for how they smell, not how they look on my shelf, so I'll get over that particular flaw.

on 7/5/2015 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I'm compelled to write this review solely based on the audacity of the YSL brand to put out something like this. Manifesto is such a mediocre offering not reflecting the YSL brand as a perfume power house; this smells like something Coty would put out as a flanker to luxury lines. I agree with the review below that it is very similar to Armani Code, especially in the middle notes and dry down. Code is actually a bit more interesting since I can actually detect berries and acidic qualities. Manifesto is all tonka beans and vanilla. Offensively inoffensive, if there is such a thing.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is now my 2nd bottle of Manifesto. It's just so intoxicating, I love it. It's sensual, creamy floral, with a hint of vanilla. It stays for 6 hours, no joke, and it's hypnotic, addictive like a drug. I love smelling it on myself, and I also think the bottle is just gorgeous, easy to hold in the hand. This isn't the perfume for everyone because it's a little more grown up, more serious and adult than the really popular perfumes like Coco Mademoiselle. Unlike those perfumes, Manifesto doesn't smell perfume-y. It just sifts into my body chemistry and stays there, wooing me for hours with its subtle beauty vibe. I'm breathing in Manifesto as I write this - and I applied it 3 hours ago - just three quick sprays is all it takes.

The perfect scent. Thank you, YSL!!!!

Manifesto is really not bad! It has hints of vanilla and the smell lasts really long. If you're a vanilla lover, this would be perfect! Not too impressed with the packaging..

The scent really does get a little addictive. It doesn't changemuch throughout the day and I love that it stays true to it's original scent.

I would say the scent is really thick and warm though. If you're looking for a lighter, and less overpowering fragrance, this wouldn't be for you.

on 12/4/2014 11:06:00 PM

I loved this fragrance when I sprayed it in Shopper's, but was hesitant to buy it because I had not heard of it before. The lady at the counter assured me that she had purchased it and knew it was long lasting. I ended up purchasing the box set instead of getting Dior Hypnotic Poison like I had planned (I own & love Dior Pure Poison!). I regret this decision.... smells great when first sprayed but has a lasting power of about 10 minutes. Don't waste your money!

Popular Fragrances