OPI Chip Skip

2.7

ETHYL ACETATE, AMMONIUM HYDROXIDE

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I got this as a gift with purchase and I do think it works for making your polish last slightly longer than normal, maybe a day or two. However this is basically a half ounce bottle of $13 acetone. Honestly just buy a big bottle of 100% pure acetone for $2.99 and some cotton squares and run it over your nails before you paint them for the same effect.

Does absolutely nothing. It will not make your polish last longer. When you apply it, it's as if your putting water on your nails.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

As a reformed nail biter (slaps wrist) I needed help to grow my nails. They were so brittle and weak that they'd snap as soon as I managed to grow them to a neat and paintable length, but I think Chip Skip has strengthening properties similar to OPI's Nail Envy that first helped me grow my nails. I mainly use OPI Chip Skip quick drying prep coat polish as a base coat to help my regular polish apply smoothly and stick to my nails - I've noticed that my manicures do last a couple of days longer, when compared to my regular base coat [Nails inc Caviar base]. I also noticed that there has been no staining to my nails (I adore dark, vampy colours) since starting to use Chip Skip.

I've also tried Chip Skip as a topcoat and thought that it added a nice protective layer to my polish, adding a few days to my mani, the same way as it does when used as a base. Sure it's not as glossy as a topcoat, but if you've ran out of topcoat, or are traveling and don't want to pack loads of bottles, then Chip Skip does the job nicely.

When you first see the price you'll think that this expensive, but when you consider that it's strengthener and basecoat in one, plus makes a decent topcoat, then I think that the price is reasonable.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

This works great! It prolongs my manicure for an extra 2-4 days, depending on what type of nail polish I'm using. I find it's best paired with other OPI products.
I read a lot of reviews and a lot of people gave it a bad review because THEY USED IT WRONG.
This is suppose to be applied to bare nails before the base coat and color. Not over top the color and/or topcoat. It's a shame most of these reviewers tossed it in the trash...

on 1/26/2014 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Haha! OPI is my favorite brand and I love their stuff; however, they are feeling themselves a little too much if they are charging thirteen dollars for mild nail polish remover in a bottle. That's all it is...sneaky OPI!

The name of this is reallllly deceiving. Clearly the name "Chip Skip" is going to attract every girl who wants their manicure to last (everyone). If the name was "Oil Clearer" or "Residue Remover", people would put two and two together to realize that this is just nail polish remover.

This is not a base coat. It's very thin, and when you brush it on, it basically disappears along with MOST of the residue. It's not strong enough to take off more than a few specks of leftover polish. It is meant to dry up any residue on your nails -- if it's meant to dry up, how would it prolong a manicure?

This product works fine if you want mild nail polish remover to come with a brush. It helps more than it hurts, but you can get the same result with good ol' remover.

I am not sure whether this product actually helps or not. What I do like about it is that it cleans the surface of my nails. After removing the old nail polish I have to wash my hands, and then apply hand lotion immediately, if not my hands get super dry. The problem is that the hand lotion gets on the nails as well, and when I apply the nail polish, the polish will separate (due to the oils in the hand lotion). If I clean my nails with Chip Skip, it removes the oil from the hand lotion. I have not noticed whether it dries out my nails or not. I can't really say whether it makes a difference on chipping or not, since I use Essie's No Chips Ahead, which will make the nail polish stay for almost a week!

I have only been using it for a month now, so I don't know yet whether I will repurchase or not.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I was really excited to use this product when I first purchased it. I don't know if I am missing a step but it did NOT do what it says it supposed to do. My nail polish started chipping on the third day and by day 5 it was a hot mess. I really don't think it makes a difference in prolonging your polish. And it was 17.99 plus tax at trade secrets. I will not be buying this again.

on 1/20/2013 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This isn't really nail polish. It's this thin stuff that feels like alcohol on my nails. The purpose of this is so that ur nail polish wont chip. So what that does is it dries out your nails and it makes them really gross. I hate it because of that. I definitely wouldn't buy this product again

on 1/3/2013 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

To all those commenting on this product drying their nails...that is what it is supposed to do! It is intended to dehydrate and remove oils on the nails that will cause polish to chip if left on. I wouldn't call this a HG product, but it can be a useful step in a manicure. This product was given to me and I use it and am fairly happy although I don't know if I would repurchase since washing with a good soap should also remove all the oils as long as you are careful to get into the corners.

Horrible product, does nothing about your nail polish longevity or your nails, in fact it dehydrates them like no man's business and makes them more prone to peeling and staining. Avoid this at any cost, it certainly is not worth the European price tag. I have read the positive reviews about this but I have seen more damage than benefit to my nails. I'd rather have to reapply my polish sooner that go through abnormally peeling nails.

Popular Treatments