Trish McEvoy Intense Gel Eyeliner Pencil

3.7

on 5/9/2017 5:00:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I love this product, and have it in several colors such as Deep Aubergine (a matte eggplant), Charcoal, and Arabian Nights (a deep blue with some shine), I follow her technique to the letter, which took a little practice in the beginning. By applying small "dots" of the liner in between my lashes, I get a nicely defined eye with a real boost to my lashes. On my light makeup days, I wear a Trish eye base (typically Demure or Sand) with this gel liner, add a little blush and lip gloss and I'm ready to go.

Give this liner a try, I think that you'll be as pleased as I am.

on 10/20/2016 1:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

For this review, I tested the black shade. Trish McEvoy’s Intense Gel Pencil isn’t cheap at $29. The pencil comes with a sharpener and a little foam smudger on the other end. It has been heralded as the perfect thing to tight-line the upper lid. The instructions state, “for a full-looking lashline, lift the eyelid and press and wiggle small dots in between each individual lash.” It does look amazing when you’re done. However, if I use it this way, I can’t wear my contact lenses. Can’t wear them if I line the waterline, either. If the liner gets anywhere near the inner rims of my eyelids, it migrates onto my Acuvue Oasys lenses and blurs my vision.

If I wear my glasses instead, I don’t have this issue. However, even when I wore glasses, the bold inky continuous line gradually became a crumbly metallic black, a ghost of its former self. So this formula – at least in the black shade – is not tear-proof and doesn't maintain its bold color during the day.

This liner has a few positive qualities. I love how easy it is to apply this gel pencil to the lids with no tugging. It glides right on. And if I use it on my top lash line, it does not transfer to my upper lid during the day. There is some fading, but at least it doesn’t smear. If I avoid my waterline entirely and do not tight-line, it’s okay to wear my lenses.

PROS:
1) The gel glides on more smoothly than any other pencil I’ve ever tried. It doesn’t drag at all. It’s the most gentle pencil to apply.
2) Simple to use.
3) It comes with a pencil sharpener – not a fancy one, but I appreciate the thought.
4) Trish McEvoy is a cruelty free brand.
5) The gel is easier to clean off contact lenses than Bobbi Brown’s gel liner, which sticks like glue.
6) When applied to the lashline of the top lid, the line did not transfer in a mirror image to my eyelid above the crease.
7) When applied to the lower lashline, the line did not smudge or smear.
8) Comes off easily with coconut oil or makeup remover.
9) The pencil is a generous length when it's brand new, roughly six-and-a-half inches.
10) Comes in several shades.

CONS:

1) Not tear-proof. If I wear contact lenses and use this to tight-line using their method, or if I apply it to the waterline, the eyeliner migrates onto my contact lenses and makes them blurry within a couple of hours of normal blinking.
2) I wish the color were solid black instead of a glitzy black with sparkles in it.
3) $29 is very expensive for one pencil.
4) Because the gel is so soft, it can be difficult to sharpen. You can put it in the refrigerator to chill it before sharpening if the texture becomes too mushy in hot weather.
5) The “intense” inky black solid line of gel I applied in the morning can fade to a somewhat broken line of metallic crumbs by evening. Speaking metaphorically, when I’m driving and the solid line changes to a broken line, I know I can pass. This liner does not perform well enough to justify the high price.

Summary:

If you have perfect 20/20 vision or wear glasses instead of contacts, you might have better luck with this pencil than I did. If you try a different color, you might have better luck. Another reviewer wrote that the blue shade, Arabian Nights, performed better for her than the black color.

If you wear contacts, I can’t recommend that you buy a $29 eye pencil that has this many shortcomings. I wish this eyeliner were waterproof enough to stand up to good old-fashioned tears, but in that regard, MAC Liquidlast wins hands down. If it were cheaper, I would be less critical of the pencil’s flaws. I cannot recommend the black shade specifically because it didn't hold up well for me.

Ingredients:

Iron Oxides, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Isododecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Peg/Ppg-19/19 Dimethicone, Synthetic Wax, Hydrogenated Polydicyclopentadiene, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Nylon-12, C20-40 Alcohols, Perfluorononyl Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Diisostearate/Polyhydroxystearate/Sebacate, Silica, Polyethylene, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl, Tin Oxide, Tocopherol.

on 2/24/2016 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Glad to have found something that does the tightline/waterline without having to use a brush & mix with water. Has staying power too.

on 10/22/2014 10:35:00 PM

This has staying power and good color payoff but if you wear contacts do nont put in the waterline. It sticks to your contacts and needs severe rubbing to get if off. I could not see clearly and my contacts felt very uncomfortabke. Can only use it on the top lid

on 5/4/2014 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Initially I got Arabian Nights in a Trish McEvoy makeup kit and loved its performance. It was easy to apply and stayed where it belonged, not straying to my bottom lash line or giving me frightful raccoon eyes. So I decided to commit and buy a full sized pencil when Nordstrom had its 10% off sale. I somewhat regret this purchase and in all likelihood will not buy this product again. It is not worth the steep price.

Let me preface my criticism with a disclaimer, I prefer twist up eyeliners that you don't have to sharpen like Clinique's quickliner. I find having to sharpen pencils whether eyeliner or a brow pencil cumbersome and time consuming. I never get a fine enough point and always end up losing a lot of product in the sharpening process. I thought it was my sharpener, but I've tried different ones all with the same result. Knowing this, I was willing to deal with the hassle of sharpening because of the seemingly budge-proof formula of this gel eyeliner. Unfortunately in the long run the sharpening hassle of this product has outweighed any positive formula results.

Regarding the formula itself it has sparkles in it. Why? I don't need sparkle in my eyeliner. I find it also easier to apply with an eyeliner brush, yet again, WHY? If I wanted to apply product with a brush I would opt for a product in a pot or pan. It has staying power, I give it that. However, the Black eyeliner wasn't as transfer resistant as the Arabian Nights. I found migration after a day's wear.

If this product were half the price I'd say, "awesome blossom, get yourself two!" But at this pricepoint I say, "save your money honey."

on 3/14/2014 8:52:00 PM

These are amazing. The texture is as nice as any pot gel e/l I've tried (and I own more than a couple of BB gel e/ls), but the convenience of a pencil makes these so much easier to apply.

These glide on and stay on all day (and into the night) with no fading or creasing. What makes them incredible is how easily they go on--you don't need to apply any pressure to get a good, solid line. Once they set, they don't budge.

I usually don't love pencils that you have to sharpen, but I can look past the fact that you have to sharpen these because they're *that good.* I really wish that TM would expand this line and include a few more colors. The basic black, navy and brown are great, but a grey and taupe would be wonderful too.

*EDIT* While I still love this pencil, I agree that it should NOT be used on the waterline. I made the mistake of trying to tightline with this while wearing contacts, and it smudged horribly. DO NOT use this on the waterline if you wear contacts.

on 8/18/2013 6:59:00 PM

This gel pencil liner is very creamy and glides on like a dream. The color is super dark and dramatic. I use this for nights, parties, and maybe a big meeting at work - it's definitely useable everyday, but I like to use it when I want to make an impact.

I'm not a big user of gel pencil liners (I use liquid liners most of the time), so the fact that you can smudge it (and it comes with a great little pointed smudger) is fun for me. Once you put it on, there's probably 10 seconds where it's malleable enough to be smudged, then it sets and is pretty solid for the rest of the day. Of course, if you have oily lids, it may smudge as the day goes on, but it does "set."

The only con is that I do have to sharpen it probably every two uses or so, which uses up th product quite quickly.

on 6/30/2013 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This pencil is amazing. Glides on smooth and dries to a waterproof finish. I have two of them that came in her kits. One is black, with the faintest amount of sparkle and the other is Aubergine, a dark purple color. Both flatter my medium complexion and I think I am hooked!

on 6/26/2013 10:24:00 AM

I'm on my second one, and despite repurchasing it, I'm still not 100% on this pencil. I like it, and use it a couple of times per week, but it's not my favorite. I love that the black has some shimmer to it. I love that it lasts all day on me, and doesn't fade. It's a little difficult as far as application goes. More often than not, I end up having to use the other end of the pencil to even out my line. The pencil is so creamy that I have a hard time getting a straight line. However, once it's on, it's perfect. It will last all day, and when it comes time to remove it, it takes some effort. I've tried it on my waterline, but don't care for it. It only lasts a couple of hours, before coming off completely. The pencil does run out pretty quickly, which is a big negative for me.

on 10/18/2012 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I'm really on the fence about this item because it does perform quite well. It's the sharpening and application that are the problem. The tip is extremely soft so losing a lot of product while sharpening is inevitable. Also, application is something of an issue. I was unable to lightly darken my eyelash base because the tip of the pencil was so soft, it would clump up in my eyelashes and leave small chunks of product behind. These small chunks then run and smudge and create the worse case of panda eyes I've ever seen! If applying directly from the pencil, it's best to line the upper eyelid. If applying between eyelashes, at the base of the upper eyelid, then application MUST be done with an eyelash brush. This method provides the smoothest application, with minimal loss of product.

Aside from the above, the product does deliver on it's promise not to smudge, budge, move etc. It's a beautiful black intense color with silver flecks which highlight the eye nicely. There's a smudger on the end that allows for a really nice dramatic smokey eye WHICH.DOES.NOT.BUDGE if applied over a primer AND your eyes aren't prone to watering.

This eyeliner would be amazing in other colors. It is expensive though so I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'm going to repurchase this. For now I think I will because of the ease of carrying it along AND the fact that I don't have to worry about dry out like I would a cream eyeliner in a jar. But for the price, the pencil should definitely be longer and a sharpener, specifically designed for a pencil this soft, should be available.