3.8

package quality

price range

Reviews

2 years ago

I love amber but when it comes to fragrance I’m picky. I don’t want anything to heavy or head shop esque. The amber in this perfume is divine! It’s everything I want in a scent and more. To me this is a salty, deep, spicy, smooth, and earthy amber. With the vanilla though it rounds it out to make it so smooth and wearable. I also love labdanum and I feel this note adds to the depth of the amber. The patchouli I feel adds the earthiness to this as well. Together it is all divine! This has moderate sillage and the scent for me it lasts hours on the skin so I would say it’s very long lasting. This is my first Hermes fragrance I’m still eyeing the Elixir and that is second on my list to get now that I have L’ Ambre. If you enjoy earthy ambers that aren’t too deep this is something I think one would like. I personally love this it has a unisex vibe and to me leans a touch masculine which I like in my scents. I don’t categorize perfume by gender so I could see both men and women wearing this. The bottle is gorgeous and I found the 100ml tester for a reasonable price. The box doesn’t matter to me on this one since this is and will be well used. It’s cold where I am right now and I love it I’m so excited to try this when it gets warmer. A simple number of notes yet a deep and complex scent, I adore it! Recommended. :)

About reviewer (912 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

EyesGreen

4 years ago

I don't know how I missed this one in the past, but I guess I was a little confused by all the Merveilles offerings by Hermes whenever I looked at the line-up. I've had the original EDT, the EDP and the extrait in the past... never loved any of them. The EDT I found weirdly cloying... the EDP was better and always garnered compliments, but it felt a little masculine to me. The extrait I did not get on with and it dried up before I could use it all. It seemed a little medicinal to me. I tested the Eau Clair but never purchased it. It didn't excite me. But this version... this is my Goldilocks 'just right' moment with the line. I've been in an amber mood, seeking something soft and comforting, a warm aura... I noticed this while I was testing various options in Sephora and I was amazed by how gentle and well-rounded it smelled. I love the smell of amber, but on my skin I've often found it too sweet, just a vanilla-y shapeless mess. This is drier but still feminine, and I like the lightness of it, which feels luminous as opposed to light-weight. The sillage is greater than the impression you get nose to skin. I really love it and intend to buy a back-up bottle as soon as possible. It's been really hot here recently and this has actually felt lovely to wear in the heat because it's not heavy or sticky or cloying... a wonderful summer Oriental, and I bet it will be great year-round too. I agree with another reviewer's comparison to Theorema. A similar weight and feel, although less complex.

About reviewer (154 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

EyesBlue

1.0

6 years ago

Golden amber resin, but with distinct powdery notes that age it amazingly and sharp notes that make it almost masculine. Not a combination I like at all

About reviewer (1714 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Fine

from

6 years ago

L'Ambre des Merveilles is my favorite from the Merveilles line. Perhaps not as creative as the rest but I think it's the most feminine and easy to wear. Nothing complicated, really. Just smooth amber with a heavy dose of vanilla and some resine-y labdanum. That's all. Has a caramelized texture and I consider it a sophisticated gourmand. Moderate projection, lasts 5-6 hours. Didn't rock my world but I would still buy a bottle.

About reviewer (944 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinSensitive, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Curly, Medium

EyesGreen

7 years ago

O. M. G! A warm and delicious skin scent that just kept getting better the longer it was on me. It was so good that pessimist me kept waiting for it to turn bad but that never happened. It just got yummier. Think seawater and sunshine and spicy cookies. This isn't a fragrance that blasts a heady sillage. That's not to say it doesn't last. It's just subtle and sensuous and golden and SEXY. I love this so much I immediately bought a second 100ml bottle in a paranoid fit of fear they'd suddenly decided to change the formula or discontinue it. Is that nuts or what? The only minus IMO is the perplexing lack of bottle cap. I suppose to induce you to spray liberally and haphazardly - not difficult with this one.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinCombination

HairBrown

EyesHazel

7 years ago

This scent is pretty reminiscent of Fendi's discontinued Theorema on my skin- there's a definite impression of Toblerone chocolate oranges with a dusting of cinnamon, almost like Chai. It's definitely pleasant, but it doesn't "feel" like an Hermes scent. Hermes scents almost always have a grownup, creamy heft to them, and L'Ambre lacks that trademark maturity. It isn't Yet Another Insipid Gourmand- it's definitely more interesting than that- but it is indeed sweeter and snugglier than your average Hermes offering. Worth a sniff.

About reviewer (14 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

7 years ago

I love this perfume. I got it at Sephora with a coupon. The SA asked me a few questions about what I like and what I was looking for and BAM, this was the third thing she led me to. I wanted something that wasn't toooooo sweet but not manly either. To me I get notes of leather, definitely amber, and then the vanilla and patchouli come out in the dry down. It stays close to the skin but I think it is sexy as hell. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? It is to me. The only quibble I have with this is the packaging. There is no cap to the sprayer, just a plastic tube that goes over it in the box to keep it from spraying. So I'll have to decant if I want to travel with it. Otherwise, the bottle is BEAUTIFUL.

About reviewer (82 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination

HairBlond

EyesBlue

7 years ago

I love Eau de Merveilles to start with, but I really like this ambery version of it. It's not too sweet (I'm not that much of an amber lover, but I like it OK); this is more of a sheer amber, more like Amouage's Opus VI type of amber but at a much more affordable price point. It has the lovely ambergrisy florals of the original EdM, but is soft, wearable, pretty, and gourmand without being sticky or heavy. I'll probably find myself reaching for this a lot when I'm not sure what to wear - it's kind of all-purpose.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBrunette

EyesHazel

1.0

7 years ago

I can't believe I'm giving an Hermes perfume such a low rating...granted, I don't love all their fragrances (my favorites are by Hermes, though). But what bothers me about this one in particular is that it is a dead-ringer for Vera Wang Princess. Process that. Princess came out in 2006 and was marketed towards a teenage girl demographic. It's not a bad fragrance, but Hermes is charging over a hundred dollars for a single ounce of a scent that was targeted for teenyboppers. No thank you.

About reviewer (185 reviews)

Age25-29