Laura Mercier Eye Art Artist's Palette

Eye Art Artist's Palette

4.3

on 8/15/2017 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I think this is my favorite eyeshadow palette out all that i own. It is the one that I reach for when I need goof-proof eye makeup - ie: it always turns out looking good. easy to use and well rounded with tons of possible looks. i could use this palette every single day if i wanted to.

vanilla nuts is the best base and blending shade ever.
bamboo is a nice one-n-done
2-3 transitions to choose from - fresco and plum smoke plus bamboo if you like
4 shades for crease/outer v/liner - kir royale, expresso bean, violet ink, truffle
5-6 lid shades - sparkling dew, guava, primrose, african violet plus bamboo, and plus vanilla nuts if you want to go all matte

the 4 main lid shades are subtle shimmers that are not highly pigmented. id say that african violet has the most colour, but still it is not 'bam!' if you know what i mean. the lid shades do not like to be used wet but, on their own they are light/soft shadows suitable for all occasions. if i want to use use the palette for a night look, i merely add a dab of a metallic cream eyeshadow to the center of lid.

for me, it is a versatile workhorse, considering that i am neutral cool so these shades appeal to me.
i do not often wear warm toned gold/bronze/copper/orange or even peach eyeshadow looks.
i am attracted to cool browns, pink-browns, pinks, lilac/lavender, mauve, purples

if this sounds like you as well, then you will probably like this palette, as long as you dont expect a punch from the lid shades and enjoy their subtleness instead.

PS: see image #2 at the top of the reviews for the photo of the most current release of this palette.

on 6/5/2017 10:32:00 PM

This palette was quite pricey but I'm happy with it as I find the colours quite versatile as I was seeking mauve/cool toned shades with predominately matte shades. I find the colours more pigmented and long lasting than my Too Faced Natural Matte palette. All of the shades are quite wearable with a mix of light, medium and dark colours, mostly mattes with a few shimmer shades thrown in.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I just don't love it. The colors are mostly cool-toned and boring and are no different than basically every other LM eye palette in existence. There is a bit of fallout and some of the shades are powdery. That said, some of the colors can be used as transition shades with other brands but as a standalone, I just can't give this palette a high rating. I've owned three LM palettes and probably twelve of her single shades and I probably won't buy any more. With so many brands out there that are producing quality shadows at the same or better prices, if LM doesn't step up their game and get a little more interesting, I have a feeling they'll be left behind. I'm a huge fan and her Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer is my holy grail. Her brushes do not disappoint, either. But I'm just underwhelmed by this palette, as well as most of the recent releases from this brand.

on 4/11/2016 4:09:00 PM

I bought the rerelease of this palette, and it is just amazing. When I opened it, I actually started to regret buying it because I thought it looked boring. I admit to being a bling addict, attracted to palettes with shiny, glittery, metallic..*oh, look, squirrel*...kinds of palettes. This one was humble. It did, however, have some lovely purple-based neutrals that intrigued me, and I am not much for returning cosmetics, so I gave it a shot. I am so thankful I did! The mattes in this palette are buttery-blendable. I am not sure why I was so starved for a blendable matte, but I was. So first, the texture won me over. Then I started trying some of the colors that are ones I normally wouldn't reach for. I mean, heck yeah, who wouldn't love African Violet? It's gorgeous. But Kir Royal? I wasn't so sure. Then I wore it, and bam! I am sophisticated with perfectly blended eyeshadow. Plus, apparently, Sparkling Dew (the light pink) just goes with everything. This palette is a winner, and I am glad I gave Laura Mercier a chance. Totally loving this palette, backing away from the glitter fallout and enjoying the sophistication.

on 1/29/2016 11:14:00 PM

I bought the re-release of this palette with the floral top. I like this palette A LOT. It has a really nice range of plum toned eyeshadows. Super creamy and super blendable.

UPDATE: I'm on the fence about this palette after using the sheerer colors. Its just too sheer! They blend wonderfully but to the point where it disappears. Nice palette but not a necessity.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Overall, this palette is stunning and such a great selection of nudes and plum tones. They are all buttery smooth, and pigmented. The selection is what sets this palette apart because they're still somewhat neutral, but not just Browns like most palettes. I have swatches of this product up on my website, Jensbeautyplace.com!

on 9/7/2015 1:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Meh. I am a palette fiend and for a long time I've been vying to get my hands on the LE LM Artist palettes in the past. I was really excited when I found out that it wasn't LE anymore and I could go pick it up at my local Sephora.

Let's be real, I pretty much only got this palette (as do many others) for the shade African Violet. It's such a gorgeous shade, swatched and in the pan. The base colour is a medium cool purple with gold shimmer in it, so it wouldn't be hard for anyone with warmer undertones to pull this off and makes the colour a bit more "neutral" on the eyelids.

The palette's colours do skew on the cool side, obviously. It's pretty refreshing considering many neutral palettes are predominantly warm. I also love how there's SO much mattes in this palette. Many a palettes I own are almost mostly shimmer with one or two true mattes. This makes the palette pretty versatile for travel. Although the palette is kind of purple-y the shades are office-appropriate and mature skin-friendly.

Why do I think this palette is mediocre? I've never had any experience with using LM eye shadows before although I have had my makeup done at an LM counter. The makeup artist somehow managed to make the eye shadow REALLY intense and pop so I assumed the eye shadows wouldn't require effort to do that. Yes, all the shadows swatch very soft and apply easily but I find that they don't have strong pigment and gets sheered out a bit too easily. I've tried to apply it with TFSI, Soft Ochre paint pot and NYX Milk pencil in all sorts of variations but it just didn't pop. I also found that the shadows were very easily prone to fallout despite tapping the excess off my brush.

I do love the packaging though. It's not the typical cardboard palette, it's sort of covered with this shiny PVC-type of material and the cover/front feels plush. Magnetic closure as you would expect from this type of packaging. It has a floral/lace kind of design. The base colour is really dark, it's kind of between a really dark purple and brown. It's hard to photograph this palette because the brown is so dark, it kind of meshes with the black on my camera.

Not the best palette you can get especially with the price, but it's worth checking out if you want cool neutrals and purples with a good measure of matte shades.

on 4/20/2015 4:08:00 PM

I bought the 2015 Sephora version that is slightly different from the original. The biggest difference I see is in packaging and this packaging feels and looks much cheaper in my opinion.

All of the colors are so pretty and contrary to some unfortunate buyers' experiences, I have no duplicate colors, all are clearly different shades. Some wear sheerer than others, but I can make even a sheer shade show up incredibly true-to-pan by using an epoxy instead of a traditional primer (Fyrinnae, Lit, Too Faced, and others make this product- Phyrra has a decent breakdown of the different ones you can buy here- [I am not affiliated with Phyrra in any way] http://phyrra.net/2013/12/best-ways-apply-loose-eyeshadow.html ).

I'm so happy this came back even in a re-release version and I hope to see more large eye palettes from LM.

on 4/15/2015 8:45:00 PM

I purchased the 2015 pallet off of Sephora, due to the long time hype, not knowing the pictures online were from last release and there were changes. I have never purchased the Laura Mercier pallets because I love packaging and the LM I personally find tacky. Personally, I was excited to hear the packaging is different. The pallet is no longer in the faux crock skin and is now a shinny black/brown floral print. The top flap is still puffy which I dislike and find needless but whatever...

PROS:
- The packaging, I like that there is a large mirror and it is relatively compact (again, I hate the puffy top but it isn't big enough to be a con)
- Eyeshadows. There are 6 matte and 6 shimmer eye shadows. This pallet is pretty much glitter free! Exceptions being African Violet which has some glitter but it actually stays with the shadow. The texture is soft without loosing vibrancy. The mats are vibrant and aren't patchy. This is a great neutral pallet and I really like the top row but overall there isn't anything overly exciting.

CONS:
- If you have a lot of eyeshadow and go to pallets this might not be a necessary addition to your collection, especially if these generally don't excite you.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I just received the 2015 rerelease and WOW. I am in love. This shot up to one of my favorites. Easy to blend, lovely colors, a few but not too many unique colors. I just wish it weren't LE so I don't feel like I have to baby it.