La Roche Posay CICAPLAST BAUME B5 (Multi-purpose/soothing repairing balm)

La Roche Posay CICAPLAST BAUME B5 (Multi-purpose/soothing repairing balm)

4.4

AQUA / WATER HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE DIMETHICONE GLYCERIN BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII BUTTER / SHEA BUTTER PANTHENOL BUTYLENE GLYCOL ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE PROPANEDIOL CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE TRISTEARIN ZINC GLUCONATE MADECASSOSIDE MANGANESE GLUCONATE MAGNESIUM SULFATE DISODIUM EDTA COPPER GLUCONATE ACETYLATED GLYCOL STEARATE POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE SODIUM BENZOATE PHENOXYETHANOL CHLORHEXIDINE DIGLUCONATE CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE

Did absolutely nothing for my skin. It broke me out, didn't help my dry patches or acne scars to heal. My sister swears by it though.

on 9/26/2016 5:36:00 AM

What can you say ... an excellent, soothing, very thick cream from one of the best daily-skincare brands in existence. It exists as a cream for repairing skin and have used it on facial sunburn to excellent effect.

The thing is ... it's just so thick. And in a way, why criticise that factor when that's the purpose of the cream? But that's just the thing, for me and my skin type, it's just too thick for the face. And it's too expensive to use as a general body moisturizer :)

I've taken to using the product in winter only (as have made a point of avoiding sunburn while aging ...!) and also as a very thick cream for dried-out knuckles/backs of the hands, or even the neck/decollete ... purchased it so will use it up, but am having to think of creative ways to use it.

Big supporter of this brand, but would not re-purchase for the face.

To Read all 70 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/15/2016 8:20:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I won't bother with stating what this is and what it does, as others have done that already, so let me just tell you why I think this should be a staple in everyone's bathroom cabinet.

It's very similar to Vaseline in the way that you can use it on literally anything - unlike Vasline, though, it will actually soothe and moisturise (whereas Vaseline will just act as an occlusive and seal in the moisture that already is in/on your skin). You can get it in 10/40/100ml tubes, and there also seems to be a 40ml version that has SPF50 (I'll get to that later).
It's not cheap, so much is true. However, a little goes a very long way (depending on how you use it), and it's ideed worth the money. I suggest you ask for a sample at your local pharmacy, and make sure you get the big 100ml tube, it comes cheaper in price/ml. I got the regular 100ml version at iparfumerie.at (they also ship to the US and most of the EU, you have to look at the bottom of the website) for 11,00€ and the SPF50 40ml tube for 9,90€ + 3,95€ shipping by the Post AT; I think the regular price is around 15-20€ for the 100ml version. (DISCLAIMER: I'm in no way affiliated to this website and/or the company behind it, and don't get any monetary compensation from them (ha, wish I did!). Just wanted to tell you where you can get the original product really cheap. Alternatively, feelunique.com (they also ship to a lot of countries) also have lower prices, and they often have sales and promo codes. I'm not affiliated to them either.)

It comes in a high-quality hard-ish squeezy tube with a sturdy flip top cap, so it will survive in the suitcase if you decide to take it on travels (although I'd recommend storing it in the handbag - I'll tell you why in a second). The product itself is thick, white and creamy, and it will stay that way on your face. I'm very fair (NC 10-15-20 with warm to neutral undertones) so it doesn't make much of a difference if I use it as a moisturiser, but on darker skins it might be a problem, especially with the SPF version since it contains non-nano physical filters. A light dusting of powder will solve the problem if you don't want to or can't use regular foundation (MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation has good coverage and a big shade range), but the powder will soak up some of the emollient and humectant ingredients in the cream, so I would refrain from this method if you don't absolutely have to.

As the name suggests, this is a multi-purpose cream. According to the packaging it contains a special mix of ingredients that speed up the regeneration process of damaged skin ("madecassoide + a mineral copper-zinc-mangan complex") and was supposedly formulated for post-surgery wounds (or so Lisa Eldridge says). The packaging and marketing certainly have a very clinical and medicinal air to them, but I find that the product itself also keeps up to that standard.
I mostly use it on lips, because mine get chapped easily from wearing a lot of matte lipstick, but I've also used it as an overall moisturiser several times and with great success (it's particularly genius on flights). I have combo-oily skin, and even products that are designed to mattify look disgustingly oily and greasy on me, but this - I'd even say this has a satin finish, if you know what I mean. I could wear this on its own; nobody would notice.
Another good use I found for it was applying it on freshly epilated armpits. I actually tried this first on my boyfriend, and he says the pain and redness went away after a day and a half. (Just for reference, my boyfriend doesn't even wash his face most days, but he swears by this stuff on his spots.)

As for the SPF version: I'd recommend it to people with inflamed acne or spots that have been extracted messily (like my boyfriend does), whether they want to use it punctually or all over; if the latter is the case, though, I'd advise them to use it in sufficient amounts (FutureDerm has a good article on it, just search for "how much is 2mg/cm^2"). When applied two times a day, as the packaging suggests, the inflamed area will heal in 3-5 days (at least that's been my experience), and the added photoprotection will help with PIH at the same time.

I always have both the regular version and the SPF50 verison in the house, but if you don't want to pay twice for what is essentially the same thing you should evaluate under which conditions you will use the cream, and how much you want to pay. If you spend a lot of time outside and get a lot of scrapes on your knees, say, then I'd go with the SPF version; if you're a student with a small budget and your lips keep drying out from the desaturated library air, get the big 100ml tube. For me, I don't go through the SPF version very quickly, but I do use a lot of the regular version, so I always order a tube of each.

I hope this was at least a bit helpful!

This was a godsend after a laser and hydroquinone treatment for me.
A little background on my skin: Hypersensitive, rosacea, seborrheic dermatitis, dehydrated. melasma.
The last skin condition was the reason I got ruby laser on my melasma. After the laser, I got a strong mixture of retin-a, hydroquinone and cortisone. Needless to say that after this treatments, the parts of my skin (cheekbones and upper lip) where I had melasma were literally shredded.
Red, sensitized, raw skin was left after the treatment. My beautician saw this and insisted that I tried this product because my skin looked like it was burned under the magnifying mirror.
Enter Cicaplast Baume B5. What can I say? It literally worked miracles on my skin. I religiously used it every morning and every night on the raw skin parts and it transformed my skin from red and raw to healthy in 4 weeks.
The cream is rich without being overpowering heavy and sinks into the skin. The ingredients are glycerin, shea butter and panthenol which explains the nourishing and moisturizing effects I had. Especially my damaged skin just soaked this up.
I only used it on the raw spots at first and discovered it could be used as an eye cream, lip treatment and on my hand eczema too. I never used it on my whole face as I shy away from shea butter due to my eczema.
But I can easily imagine, if you don´t have any issues with the ingredients, that this can be a good moisturizer in wintertime or on damaged skin.
The multi-purpose claim is true and I carry a small size of this with me when I travel.
In comparison to the normal Cicaplast, the Cicaplast Baume wins effortlessly and is much better.
I highly recommend this little miracle worker.

on 8/16/2016 2:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

FYI: My review is based on the Baume B5 as a moisturizer for acne-prone skin, not for other purpose. I have combination/acne-prone skin and needed a moisturizer. I decided on the Baume B5 after reading the good reviews online.

I used it as a moisturizer morning and night. What I notice is that the moisturizing part is not that good. It can actually be drying. My skin felt tight and dry at night even with a layer of Baume B5. I think it would be better to layer a good moisturizer or serum underneath the Baume B5. The Baume B5 would lock the moisture in but on its own, it might be drying for some skin type.

Another thing is that you must absolutely exfoliate your skin or else this product can clog your pores. I didn't exfoliate and just applied the Baume B5 everyday and had a lot more clogged pores than when I first started. I had a few inflamed acne too.

It also can be difficult to wash off if your cleanser doesn't remove well zinc-based moisturizer. I had a hard time washing it off, maybe that's why it clogged my pores too.

I think the Baume B5 would be better for people using drying acne topical or taking acne medication or people who are not acne-prone.

The texture of the balm is on the thicker side. There is a slight white cast when applied. It can also feel tacky (sticky) on your skin.

Overall, it did help with the inflammation and the healing of acne spots, but it did cause more clogged pores which led to inflamed acne (If you don't exfoliate or use an acne treatment). It wasn't that moisturizing either. I wouldn't repurchase.

I recently got the worst sunburn of my life on my face. I was peeling for days and days; I tried everything to help but nothing would.

I went to CVS one day and noticed this at the Pharmacist counter and asked if it would help to treat a sunburn. She said yes, in fact it would help take down the swelling and discoloration that often comes after peeling. I bought it and the next day my skin felt plump, smooth and incredibly soothed. Not to mention, it took down a significant amount of redness.

I would recommend this for anyone who has dry skin or very irritated skin. I, myself, have acne prone, sensitive skin with eczema. I would also repurchase this again.

on 5/2/2016 2:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This was a staple in my skincare wardrobe for healing trouble skin. That is until I discovered snails. Once you go snail you can never go back.

This product really doesn't do much for me. It was recommended to me bc I had cracks and redness on my hands. I don't think she even knew herself what it was for. It's good for post cosmetic procedures but not for dry cracks on hands. It will make it worse. No use for me.

on 4/7/2016 1:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

For my acne prone, dry, sensitive skin with huge pores and discoloration, this has been a god send. The cream is thick in texture and spreads easily onto the skin. There is anti bacterial properties in this cream, which I believe may be beneficial in healing and keeping my skin clear. I noticed a huge impact with my skin upon using it within the first couple of days: no break outs, not even one white head. Even texture and comfortable skin. Pores are also clearer. I believe this cream can be used all over the body and gentle enough to use on everyone including babies. Pretty much my new HG skin cream.

After two months of searching high and low for a product to really sort out my extremely sensitive, sore and flaky skin (I had an allergic reaction to another product :( ) This stuff has honestly been a life saver! I apply it in the morning before mineral foundation, works like a dream, and then at night time I apply it as normal but then add a really thick layer just to my problem areas to sit and soak overnight like a mask and within 3 days my flaky nightmare is a thing of the past. Does not make my oily t zone more oily, in fact my skin is the most balanced it's ever been and has not caused any breakouts. Amazing stuff, cannot fault it. Tip, pair with hydraluron serum underneath if you're really struggling with dryness and oh my lord, your skin will thank you for it!

Popular Treatments (Face)