Bath and Body Works in general

Bath and Body Works in general

3.9

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I have just now dipped a toe into the torrent of BBW candle chatter. I resisted for quite some time. I used a lot of BBW bath scrubs and creams, but mostly preferred using straight essential oils and diffusers, to scent my home.

So at this year's (2017) Semi Annual Sale (SAS), I noticed some people commenting on scents they liked, and then I read that BBW is using a soy wax blend and including specific essential oils. Also, prices were lowered on the 3 wick candles, so I decided to give some a try.

I shop BBW mostly online (okay, I shop for nearly everything, mostly online now!). When the candles arrived, they were very thoughtfully packed. Not a lot of plastic packing, but they were in sturdy cardboard folded to basically suspend the candles without touching one another, firmly in place in the outer box. I was impressed!

The wax is really nicely, evenly poured and the wicks are all upright, no half-buried wick, and they are evenly spaced in all of the jars. I haven't lit any except FLANNEL yet, but they all smell nice, for a start.

Flannel is impressive, too. I thought I had read that the throw on this scent isn't very good. I don't know if it was an old comment, or whether BBW may have changed the formulation, but it seems to have a very GOOD throw, to me. I have been using it in our home office, a modest-sized space that's true. But when I leave and come back to the room, I can smell the candle's scent before I open the door. In fact, I only burn it for a half an hour or so, and then put it out so that the scent doesn't get overwhelming. (I don't get headaches or migraines, so I can't say whether or not this might occur for others). It's a pleasant scent, with the label noting it includes orange peel and patchouli EOs. Those are not particularly pronounced, in my opinion, but together, it makes a really pleasant aroma.

I don't love the prices regularly, but when BBW offers these candles for around $10 US, I'll likely buy more and would buy this particular one, again, too.

on 8/29/2016 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I love B&BW, but not their candles. They seem cheap and nasty. They don't smell very nice, and I have tried a lot of them, Save your money for a really good candle.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I enjoy candles - when I remember to use them - but they're not that big a deal that I feel I have money to burn, literally, on Diptyque (I'll spend on Apothecary by Pure, which are soy candles made in my home city), I do like burning candles in the house from time to time. I've got quite a few from Yankee Candle but I have to say, the candles from B&BW are every bit as nice and at a fraction of the price. Not all the scents appeal to me (this is true of all brands of scented candles) but there are plenty that do, and what's great is that there is enough variety in them to appeal to everyone. The price is hard to beat, especially when they're so often on sale and B&BW has 20-30% off emails practically every week. So these become an nice little inexpensive indulgence. I just wish all their candles came with removable labels.

on 2/17/2016 8:12:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I used to love and purchase many candles from B&BW but now I use tarts/melts/flameless fragrance more.

These were too expensive and I did not feel comfortable burning candles with a young child and a dog in the house.

That said, I love many of my "old favorites" and the packaging continues to look great.

I am just not a candle-addict any more.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I hate to be the seeming voice of dissention here, but I just have had no luck with their candles in the last couple of years. Tried many scents and many sizes and even those in the mason jars and such. Many smell great in the store, but once I get them home and burn them, I detect no scent at all, and my nose is sensitive. At best (?) a couple of them I can smell if I am standing right next to them, but most to me just smell a flame burning. Their sprays also seem very chemical smelling to me anymore, but that is for another time and place. But their candles are definite misses for me anymore. Maybe it is since they paired with White Barn and left Slatkin behind, I don't know. But it has been years since I've enjoyed a Bath and Body Works candle. And i know it is not 'just my nose' because there are other brands I enjoy and actually have throws.But seriously I would say you are better off buying a Better Homes and Gardens candle or even the melts. Also I am not a fan of the often what feels like tweenager pictures on their candles. If I had a tweenager, I might appreciate that. But as a grown woman, I do not want a cartoon or what basically looks like some kind of clip art type of thing on my candle.

on 7/7/2015 7:08:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

amazing candles smells so nice but my main issue is that the smell is so strong for my liking as I am suffering with sinus allergy
aside from this they have a very good and nice smells that overwhelm the place in no time

Excellent! great sales 10 candle for 2.50! unique scent, excellent throw!!! by fresh I believe

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love these candles! I had bought my first 1 for the family to enjoy for my mon's bday & ended up buying another 3 wick (so have 2 of those 3 wick ones), & 3 little ones today. The scents are all so hard to resist. They don't produce black gunk around the rims which is good, they make our entire house fragrant including my bathroom which is where I smoke. I love the colors of the wax, the scent, how long lasting they are basically everything, but they are a bit out of my price range when not on sale. There is a scent in that store bound to suit everybody so I would so encourage y'all to check out these candles, they are much better than Yankee candles. I can't wait for the fall/holiday/Xmas scents, with something in that store to please everyone's tastes you cannot really go wrong!

on 6/11/2014 8:09:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I'm a confirmed candle snob and never, ever did I think I would have anything nice to say about B&BW candles. My exposure was mainly to fruity sweet and bakery gourmand scents, which I dislike universally, and which the B&BW store at the mall near me always smells overwhelmingly like.

But I've been on a search for a grapefruit candle and heard enough about Pomelo Grapefruit that I wandered in to try one ... just in time for the big sale. I was really surprised how much I liked the Pomelo and went back for more but they were out (I could have got the 3-wick but honestly, I think it would have gassed us out of the house, that candle is STRONG). I ended up with a bag full of 4oz candles at $3 per pop: Limoncello, Lemon Mint Leaf, and Lilac Blossom. I don't think I would pay full price for any of them except maybe Pomelo but I think all of them were definitely worth the sale price.

The florals shocked me the most. I was down with the idea of cheap&cheerful, strong citrus scents for the kitchen but my bedroom is kind of a sacred shrine to Diptyque and Tatine. I really, really like the lilac candle though -- it might be too strong in an enclosed room but with the window open and the fan on I'd just be wasting expensive delicate scented candles anyway. I think I need to run back and grab another and maybe a honeysuckle.

EDIT I ended up scouring the B&BWs in my city down to literally the last Lilac Blossom. It's SO NICE for a fresh summer scent and smells so natural. I also grabbed a few Garden Party, and was also really impressed with that one: super light, green, natural fresh rose with other very light airy florals. I didn't care much for Honeysuckle Bouquet but I think that was an issue of individual taste because it didn't smell artificial or bad, just not for me. I'm completely sold on B&BW's florals, and will be checking them out from now on.

on 3/12/2014 12:39:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Ok they aren't the best out there but they are damn good!!!! Nothing is like my circle e candles but I use the BBW ones for my rooms and bathrooms and they smell great. Some scents are over the top but all candles has weird obnoxious scents! Overall great candle and I would repurchase. The best thing about them is they don't create much soot obviously cause I never have a nasty black rim around my candle!

Popular Candles