L'Oreal Matt & Messy Fibre Paste

3.0

1 review

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

Packaging: 150 mL squeeze tube with flip-top cap
Claims: Roughed-up, natural look with shine-free finish. Hold level 8/10 (ultra strong). Easy to apply and shampoo out. Non-greasy. Apply to damp or dry hair.

This is a product from L'Oreal's new 'Matt & Messy' line. It is a little more expensive than other drugstore styling products; regular price is about $6.50-7 CAD while the older L'Oreal products are often on sale for $4.99. It comes in a white tube with a graphic and modern design. I'm not sure if this is meant to be a men's or unisex product. The fragrance reminds me of unisex cologne. Men would probably enjoy it, but I personally like hair products that smell edible! The texture is creamy without feeling sticky or greasy.

L'Oreal sucked me in with their marketing claims. Roughed-up texture? Extra-strong hold? Non-shiny? I'm all over that! Unfortunately, I have thick coarse hair that laughs at drugstore styling products. I used the Matt & Messy Fibre Paste a couple times and it did give me a bit of texture, but I did not find the hold to be 'extra-strong'. I'm guessing that this product would work best for adding subtle texture to thin-to-medium hair. It didn't feel gross and it is definitely not the worst drugstore product I've tried. I wonder if long-term use would cause dry hair because the top two ingredients are water and alcohol.

I will try and update this review once I have experimented more with this product.

Popular Styling Products