Paula's Choice RESIST BHA 9 Treatment

3.5

Not tested on animals

Propylene Glycol (solvent/penetration enhancer), PEG-75, PEG-8 (thickeners), Water, Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract (anti-irritant), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Boerhavia Diffusa Root Extract (antioxidant plant extract), Sea Whip Extract, Arginine (amino acid/skin-conditioning agent), Polysorbate 20 (stabilizer), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is one of the best spot treatments I have ever used. I use a 2% salicylic acid (Paula's Choice CLEAR BHA exfoliant) all over my face, so spot treatments at that strength don't tend to effective on the more stubborn acne spots I get on my chin and along my jaw.

Using Paula's Choice RESIST BHA 9 Treatment 2/3 times a week has made a big difference in how long those spots stick around, and I also find it helps unclog areas where my skin feels a bit congested (like my nose and cheeks).

The two cons I would raise are price and packaging (and really, the two go hand in hand). As other reviewers have mentioned, it is difficult to dispense a small amount of product based on the pump mechanism, which often makes me feel like I'm wasting it. This stuff is pretty potent, so you definitely don't need as much as the pump releases, even if you are treating multiple breakouts. This stuff is not cheap, and it would be more economical if you had better control when dispensing the product.

One element I really appreciate is the clear section on the side. This helps you to see how much product you have used up, and if you need to think about repurchasing soon.

TL; DR: Ah-maz-ing spot treatment for stubborn breakouts (think hormonal spots), but packaging and price may deter some. A great option if your skin doesn't respond to lower levels of BHA.

Unfortunately, this product did not work for me at all. I've struggled with acne, more specifically, stubborn closed comedones all over my cheeks. This product was recommend by Paula's choice for my issue, but I saw absolutely no improvement after about a month. I was not a huge fan of the texture of this product, and the pump was a pain as too much product came out.

To Read all 90 Reviews, Login or Join

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

i wish i didn't like this stuff bc it's so expensive but it's the best spot treatment i've tried for my skin by far. i have super sensitive, super acne prone skin & can't tolerate benzoyl peroxide at all. most of the salicylic spot treatments i've found are either too weak or have other irritating stuff in them. this has a simple ingredient list so there's not much in here to cause a reaction.

it works. that's the good news. it helps clear up blemishes faster & definitely lives up to its claims to shrink stubborn imperfections. but its effectiveness doesn't come w/o drawbacks. there's the aforementioned price, but worth it for those of us w/ skin that's hard to please. then the fact that it can seriously dry you out if overused. pc says to use a "pea sized amount" & just...no. this stuff is very liquid-y & you just need a tiny dab on each spot or it will run all over the place. the texture is similar to the 2% bha liquid, so almost oily-ish; takes a minute to soak in.

but the packaging makes it tricky to get a small enough amount. if you pump it like a normal person it dispenses way too much. i tried pumping a little onto the back of my hand & dabbing a bit on at a time w/ a q-tip (absorbed too much product) or fingertip (still applied too much product). what i've resorted to doing is barely pumping it at all (stop as soon as you hit resistance & a tiny drop leaks out) onto a fingertip & dabbing it on each blemish one at a time. it's a little tedious but at least i'm not wasting so much product/money. i do wish they could do a high%-bha in a thicker formula like a gel or cream so it was easier to control.

I purchased this to have around for the occasional breakout. My skin has been clear, more or less, for a few years, but I do have a history of acne. I do check everything I buy out on cosdna.com for potential acne causing ingredients before purchasing, but once in a while still get breakouts. Sometimes a hormonal zit or two. Coincidentally, one of the sample sunscreens that I received when I ordered this made my skin break out in 2 pimples and a few scattered small ones. I used one pump of this, and the next morning the little zits were completely gone, and the larger ones were about 75% smaller and no longer painful and inflamed. By the second morning, my skin was clear. No irritation either (my skin is, however, used to the 2% BHA gel, 8% AHA gel and 1% retinol serum). Amazing product. The price is insane for such a tiny amount, which is why I took off one lippie, but I had a 20% off coupon so I got this for $33. I'll always keep a bottle of this around. Not sure how this works on hormonal acne, but next time that happens, I will try it.

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

This is expensive but since I only get occasional breakouts it has lasted a long time. I only push the top down until I meet some resistance - no further or too much comes out. Pushing it down just that little bit pushes out just a tiny amount but it is sufficient to put on one pimple and uses hardly any. I took off a lippie because it doesn't work every single time. But it does about 80% of the time. And it only takes 1 - 2 applications. I will definitely repurchase if I ever run out.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I've tried a sample and this gives me inconsistent results. Sometimes it feels like it helped with a bump (with no head) and brought up the head, sometimes it doesn't.
It feels quite oily/greasy too. The sample size and the full size is way too overpriced for it's effectiveness. Will not repurchase

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I wish I didn't love this, but I do. It's expensive ($42) but....wow! I use this 3 nights a week on the area under my eyes, as I have a small amount of milia that drives me nuts. This product has not *cured* the millia (yet), but I have noticed a significant decrease in the visibility of it.

I also have enlarged pores on my nose and I put this on my nose and the sides of my nose the same 3 nights a week. It has done wonders and clearing out my pores and making them appear smaller.

The packaging is not my fave, as if you push the pump all the way down way too much product come out. A little goes a LONG way, so I just barely tap the pump to dispense a small amount on the back of my hand, so that I don't waste any (did I mention it was pricey?).

It's an oily-ish product that takes a while to sink in, but I haven't experienced any irritation while using it. The results have been worth the price tag for me. I would recommend it to anyone with minor/major skin issues. Also, I had a spot pop up the other day and I spot treated it with this product and it was gone by morning (YMMV). Due to how little you need to treat your skin, it should last for a really long time.

Goddammit. Why does such a pricey product (especially for the small amount of product you get) have to be so effective?

If you don't have major skin problems, this isn't for you. But for me, I battle breakouts and ton of red scaring and bumps on my chin and jawline. I really don't get much active acne elsewhere, but my lower cheek and jaw is very severe.

Using this everyday (personally my skin has never reacted to it, even with everyday use, but I think I'm in the minority), I have absolutely noticed a fading in my red marks and scars. There's no doubt about it. It hasn't been a subtle change either- the area is much smoother, and the scars have dramatically faded. It hasn't resolved completely- a girl with perfectly clear skin might still see my lower jaw and think it looks awful, but for me, the change has been wonderful. Makeup lays so much nicer on that area too, with the improved texture.

My one small complaint is the packaging- I wish the pump were able to dispense smaller amounts of products. But you can't really control it, and it's a bit wasteful to get half a pump when you just wanted a tiny bit more.

The bummer is, I'm almost out, and really don't want to shell out the dollars for a new tube. And even worse for my wallet, there are other products from Paula's Choice I'm now curious to try.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I love paula's choice, I hate this. I have very oily skin which is why I use a bha so often to begin with. The silicone type texture of this product just adds to the slip of my face. I can't layer it under makeup, hate using it at night, and have never found a good application for it. This is advertised as a "9" but according to her team has a time release effect and you are actually not getting 9% all at once but a closer percent to her other products.I prefer her retexturizing foam or bha liquid products instead. Unfortunately, the foam has an odor otherwise it would be my preferred bha. I have also used her spray with some success but find that I have terrible aim lol.

I have also done well with MAUC's 3% and 8% sacilyic acid but feel I can't confidently recommend these products because of the high alcohol content. However, as BHA's I notice a significant reduction in blackheads and oil after using...more so than paula's choice products without alcohol so......

First, can I say how darn expensive this product is??? It took me SUCH A LONG TIME before I finally bit the bullet and bought the sample (yes, just the sample) but it is SO worth it.

I've had 3 spots on my cheek that refused to go away for over a year now. They initially started off as pimples/acne, but after the acne subsided, the bumps refused to flatten out. I would try popping them (I know I shouldn't) and so did my facial therapist, but to no avail. They had been annoying the heck out of me for months, especially since they were near by eyes and nose and each time I looked into the mirror I'd see these bumps. Not cool.

Basically I used this over 3 consecutive nights on the troubled spots and by the first usage, it had flattened out overnight. It has continued flattening out after 3 nights and I will continue to use it. Really pleased since it has worked so well on something that has irritated me for the longest time.

I've also started using this on an old mark/spot on my nose which has been there for at least 7 years and refused to go away no matter how many times I popped it. I've even undergone a derm procedure in an attempt to remove it and while it helped slightly, it was still prominent. It's been one use and I already see improvement. Will report back.

Texture-wise, it is VERY slippery (i.e. oily) and it kind of leaves "droplets" that look like condensation (as another reviewer described it) on my face even after rubbing it in. I use it at night so it doesn't bother me. It's not hard to wash off in the morning. Won't use this in the day that it's strange to use it under makeup with such a texture.

Final verdict: BUY IT. Use sparingly, but it's worth the investment. I am going to purchase the full sized version.