Paula's Choice RESIST BHA 9 Treatment

3.6

Not tested on animals

Propylene Glycol (solvent/penetration enhancer), PEG-75, PEG-8 (thickeners), Water, Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract (anti-irritant), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Boerhavia Diffusa Root Extract (antioxidant plant extract), Sea Whip Extract, Arginine (amino acid/skin-conditioning agent), Polysorbate 20 (stabilizer), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

I've used this for a few years, but it's just recently that I've come to really appreciate it. Post menopause, I get fewer outbreaks, but my skin no longer tolerates most acne medicines, including any form of benzoyl peroxide.

So, my chin is prone to seborrheic dermatitis, and I must use highly emollient (clogging) products to keep it at bay. So every once in awhile, my chin will freak out and clog up. First line of defense is twice daily 3 minute hot wet washcloth compress; second big guns is this. I do have to be very careful where I apply it; if there is any active seb derm in the area, this will make it angry (Hulk angry). Last night I had three zits on my chin; used this (and cicaplast B5 balm) overnight... 85% gone. In conjunction with the hot compress, it also keeps a very stubborn under the skin cyst on one side of my mouth (which I no longer squeeze; wow, what a mess!) down and under control.

This can be problematic to get the right amount out of the container; seems either too little or too much. Last night it was the latter, so I used the excess on my forehead, which is tougher and tends to be bumpy. Smoother this morning but not irritated.

Texture is oddly oily, thickish liquid.

The 4% BHA foam works better for me than this product and is cheaper. All of Paula's options disolve the BHA (salicylic acid) in propylene glycol or butylene glycol rather than alcohol like other brands. This makes them less drying. Choose which one to use based on the texture that you prefer. I like the foam because it's light weight.

Check out my notepad if you want a $10 referral link.

Edit:
I've used Paula's Choice BHA for the last six years, and just learned something new. Salicylic acid (or BHA) is not soluble in water at concentrations of more than 1%. This is why so many companies add alcohol to their BHA products: to dissolve the BHA before adding water to get higher BHA concentrations. Paula's Choice uses propylene or butylene glycol to dissolve salicylic acid in their water based BHA products. Is this a good thing? It's better than alcohol, which is drying, and it works. Propylene glycol is the active ingredient in my deodorant, and is in premade banana cream pies that I used to eat at work, e-cigarettes, and animal-safe antifreeze. I noticed that there are only two options on the market for water based BHA: Paula's and the cheap alcohol based BHA products like Stridex and Clearasil. However, there is one more way to buy BHA at the drugstore: Psoriasis cream. I might try one in the future, since I have combination skin that can handle lotions.

To Read all 94 Reviews, Login or Join

This is a true miracle! If you have stubborn blackheads or whiteheads, this product will get rid of them in no time. It has a pretty powerful formula and not recommended if you are pregnant or nursing due to a high concentration of BHA. It has a runny consistency so be careful when you are dispensing it since you just need a little bit of it and plus it is pricey but totally worth it. Here is a $10 off, just follow the link https://goo.gl/byQqpB

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Love this i use it with the clear regular bha 2%. Its the best for congested skin and stubborn pimples. Packaging could be improved.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is one of the best spot treatments I have ever used. I use a 2% salicylic acid (Paula's Choice CLEAR BHA exfoliant) all over my face, so spot treatments at that strength don't tend to effective on the more stubborn acne spots I get on my chin and along my jaw.

Using Paula's Choice RESIST BHA 9 Treatment 2/3 times a week has made a big difference in how long those spots stick around, and I also find it helps unclog areas where my skin feels a bit congested (like my nose and cheeks).

The two cons I would raise are price and packaging (and really, the two go hand in hand). As other reviewers have mentioned, it is difficult to dispense a small amount of product based on the pump mechanism, which often makes me feel like I'm wasting it. This stuff is pretty potent, so you definitely don't need as much as the pump releases, even if you are treating multiple breakouts. This stuff is not cheap, and it would be more economical if you had better control when dispensing the product.

One element I really appreciate is the clear section on the side. This helps you to see how much product you have used up, and if you need to think about repurchasing soon.

TL; DR: Ah-maz-ing spot treatment for stubborn breakouts (think hormonal spots), but packaging and price may deter some. A great option if your skin doesn't respond to lower levels of BHA.

Unfortunately, this product did not work for me at all. I've struggled with acne, more specifically, stubborn closed comedones all over my cheeks. This product was recommend by Paula's choice for my issue, but I saw absolutely no improvement after about a month. I was not a huge fan of the texture of this product, and the pump was a pain as too much product came out.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

i wish i didn't like this stuff bc it's so expensive but it's the best spot treatment i've tried for my skin by far. i have super sensitive, super acne prone skin & can't tolerate benzoyl peroxide at all. most of the salicylic spot treatments i've found are either too weak or have other irritating stuff in them. this has a simple ingredient list so there's not much in here to cause a reaction.

it works. that's the good news. it helps clear up blemishes faster & definitely lives up to its claims to shrink stubborn imperfections. but its effectiveness doesn't come w/o drawbacks. there's the aforementioned price, but worth it for those of us w/ skin that's hard to please. then the fact that it can seriously dry you out if overused. pc says to use a "pea sized amount" & just...no. this stuff is very liquid-y & you just need a tiny dab on each spot or it will run all over the place. the texture is similar to the 2% bha liquid, so almost oily-ish; takes a minute to soak in.

but the packaging makes it tricky to get a small enough amount. if you pump it like a normal person it dispenses way too much. i tried pumping a little onto the back of my hand & dabbing a bit on at a time w/ a q-tip (absorbed too much product) or fingertip (still applied too much product). what i've resorted to doing is barely pumping it at all (stop as soon as you hit resistance & a tiny drop leaks out) onto a fingertip & dabbing it on each blemish one at a time. it's a little tedious but at least i'm not wasting so much product/money. i do wish they could do a high%-bha in a thicker formula like a gel or cream so it was easier to control.

I purchased this to have around for the occasional breakout. My skin has been clear, more or less, for a few years, but I do have a history of acne. I do check everything I buy out on cosdna.com for potential acne causing ingredients before purchasing, but once in a while still get breakouts. Sometimes a hormonal zit or two. Coincidentally, one of the sample sunscreens that I received when I ordered this made my skin break out in 2 pimples and a few scattered small ones. I used one pump of this, and the next morning the little zits were completely gone, and the larger ones were about 75% smaller and no longer painful and inflamed. By the second morning, my skin was clear. No irritation either (my skin is, however, used to the 2% BHA gel, 8% AHA gel and 1% retinol serum). Amazing product. The price is insane for such a tiny amount, which is why I took off one lippie, but I had a 20% off coupon so I got this for $33. I'll always keep a bottle of this around. Not sure how this works on hormonal acne, but next time that happens, I will try it.

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

This is expensive but since I only get occasional breakouts it has lasted a long time. I only push the top down until I meet some resistance - no further or too much comes out. Pushing it down just that little bit pushes out just a tiny amount but it is sufficient to put on one pimple and uses hardly any. I took off a lippie because it doesn't work every single time. But it does about 80% of the time. And it only takes 1 - 2 applications. I will definitely repurchase if I ever run out.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I've tried a sample and this gives me inconsistent results. Sometimes it feels like it helped with a bump (with no head) and brought up the head, sometimes it doesn't.
It feels quite oily/greasy too. The sample size and the full size is way too overpriced for it's effectiveness. Will not repurchase