Balenciaga Florabotanica

3.6

Lately I have been craving floral fragrances, but i wanted to get away from the sweeter traditional florals. Rose fragrances and I have a love/hate relationship. While I love the way they smell, the majority of rose fragrances smell quite sour on me. This is one of the few exceptions.

This smells light and fresh, but also edgy. It smells like crushed leaves, torn rose petals, moss, damp earth and mint that has been trampled underfoot. Underneath all of this, it also smells quite aquatic. I have ticked that I would not repurchase because it's not really right on me, but it's unique, delicious, and I am thoroughly enjoying the small sample I purchased.

I think it would be best for someone young or edgy (or both) who enjoys florals but wants something that smells both different to the masses, and also fairly naturalistic. As you can see from my description, on me at least, this has a very natural smell.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

For me, this is a North Country perfume. I grew up in Michigan, and there's just something about the Northern USA -- esp in Fall and Winter -- the low sky, the trees, the chill, the vibe, the atmosphere (often grey, shadowy, or eerie, which I loooove). It's a part of my soul that I can't find in the Southern USA. It exists for me now only in photos, films, and my memories.

When I'm wearing my Botanicas, I have flashbacks to Michigan, particularly in the Fall -- because these are *earthy* perfumes. They take me back to being outdoors in chilly weather. I get sort of a "wild & free" feeling when I wear them.

Launched in 2012 and advertised by actress Kristen Stewart of "Twilight" fame, the notes of Florabotanica, per parfumo.net are:

Amber, Caladium leaf, Mint, Carnation, Rose, Vetiver

I have 4 recent Balenciagas, but no vintage. I do like Florabotanica but prefer Rosabotanica (love -- it has cardamom) -- and I also have B. (love -- it has lily-of-the-valley) and Balenciaga Paris (like -- it has violet) -- I wrote separate reviews.

These Botanicas are very different from other brands -- they have more of a woodsy, aromatic, herbal, loamy, earthy base underneath the florals. Gutsy, rustic, rugged - reflecting nature & the wild outdoors -- tending toward masculine. I think Florabotanica & Rosabotanica could both definitely be unisex. B. and Balenciaga Paris lean more feminine, but they have earthy notes also.

I love to wear both Botanicas, but I don't characterize them as the type that those around me would also love -- I think they're polarizing and not guaranteed crowd-pleasers -- very different from today's trends in perfume -- but I personally love them. Bottles are gorgeous.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Wow, this is a very extraordinary and mindblowing perfume. I really agree that you should try it first because it is so different. It is a bit complicated it is hard to detect the basic notes but then you get lost in the notes without bothering because it is heavenly wonderful :)

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

i own both rosabotanica and florabotanica.

THIS IS A COMPARISON OF ROSABOTANICA AND FLORABOTANICA. THIS IS ALSO MOSTLY ME SAYING THAT FLORABOTANICA IS BETTER!

they have a few similarities, such as incredibly modern, hip bottles. the rosabotanica bottle is more attractive (imho) than the florabotanica bottle, but essentially it's the same damned thing. they are also VERY HEAVY bottles. i have no idea what kind of crack-proof bottle they've used to house these fragrances, but i've dropped them on our marble bathroom floor a bajillion times and every time i expect it to smash. no such problem yet. i'm totally butterhands and dropped a whole bottle of guerlain l'heure bleue on the floor of a rented in-law unit once. i'm thankful that balenciaga makes heavy bottles, even if they still don't have that guerlain prestige where every fragrance they make is assumed to be golden ambrosia from the heavens.

i NEVER thought i would be plugging a rose-based scent. this really smells like a flower shop in every sense of the word. lots of dew, cold air, and yes -- roses and dirt and leaves. it isn't a powdery rose (thank goodness.) supposedly some poison plants in here. it might give it a little bit of the bitterness. i know when i first smelled this, i kept huffing away at the wonderful, WONDERFUL mint that hits you as a top note. it's like a fantastic, fresh, garden peppermint. eventually, that settles into a nice earth/water/green rose smell. supposedly there is weed as a middle note (!!!) i do not smell this marijuana note! however, i live in the bay area, so maybe i'm just immune to it and keep expecting some heavy, skunky indica smell to hit me. i really do not smell this weed note they keep speaking of.

eventually the dry down is a little powdery, floral, and very pleasant and lightly ambery.

the sort of thing you want to smell later on your clothing.

for some reason, the dry down on rosabotanica isn't as wonderful smelling. it retains this odd honey-lemon halls coughdrops note throughout the whole time you wear it. honestly, i smelled a shirt of mine this morning that had ROSAbotanica on it and it smelled a lot like jessica mcclintock perfume (from the 80's.) jessica mcclintock was pleasant in its own way and reminds me of my mother and my childhood, but it's not something i want to wear myself.

it has relatively good sillage on me (better sillage than rosabotanica, the other *botanica fragrance that balenciaga released later.) it's not sweet AT ALL. rosabotanica is much sweeter and much figgier. florabotanica is refreshingly modern smelling, whereas rosabotanica has far too much sweet for me to love, though it has an equally interesting smell.

Tried a sample from Sephora. When I first sprayed it in Sephora, it smelled so familiar to me ... like if I smelled it in my last life or something. Tried it at home, it's a very straight forward floral/woody scent without changing as long as it lasts, and I finally realize that this smells exactly like my grandmoms closet -- antique Chinese wooden chests. I really miss them and everything, but this fragrance only brings out nostalgia but not a great perfume to be worn on my body.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I think this fragrance would not be a safe blind-buy just because of how different it smells. It's not the usual bubbly, floral, fruity type of perfume. This one needs to be tried on skin first. When I first saw it in sephora, I sniffed the bottle a little and was immediately repulsed. I was thinking, "How is that 'flora'?" But when I tried it on my skin, well, bless my body chemistry, Florabotanica turns into an edgy, dangerous, but very sophisticated and floral perfume. I don't like the first 5 minutes because the mint is kinda strong then, but after that, this perfume is just heavenly. It's different, good different.

The longevity is amazing as well, maybe 6-7 hours on me. The longer Florabotanica is on my skin, the better it gets.
P.S. Love the simple sophisticate bottle

I fell in love with this fragrance at first sniff! It smelled so clean and fresh, light and airy, but very distinct. Upon the initial spray I got a mixed softand feminine green floral but without the cloying sweetness that you so often find in a modern fragrance. This had a note in it that I couldn't quite place but I kept sniffing my wrist where applied as I loved the heady sharpness of this.

I was blown away by this fragrance, it really is unlike anything I have ever come across. This reminds me of being outdoors, clean and fresh, with the vaguest hint of fresh laundry. It was a little bit powdery at first but the green edge to it keeps it modern. Initially I couldn't smell any rose but after about 20 minutes a lovely soft rose note came through. After an hour Florabotanica ends up being a delicate clean rose fragrance on my skin, and not overpowering at all. It does remind me of a softer version of Cartier's Goutte de Rose which I also love. The high price tag does put me off a little, but as soon as I can I will be buying a bottle of this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

A lover of musky-oriental-vanilla vibes, it took a good scent to make me like florals. Im surprised I liked this one, and how Balenciaga embraced a feminine side for summer. Design of the bottle is modern, with florals juxtaposed against a striped tube down its middle for the print-on-print trend. The fragrance itself is like a dreamy wildflowers rainforest, wet from summer's light rain & the blooms' potent scents are permeating into the air. It is fresh, green, wild, yet not ordinary. It lasts pretty well on me. Probably the only flora I would care to own.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Its gorgeous bottle lured me in to try Florabotanica - and the two lippies are for the beautiful bottle design, not the juice. I sprayed it on my wrist while shopping and on me it smelled green, aquatic and overall like some inexpensive air freshener. Not a fragrance I would consider buying, not at any price, but definitely not at the high price tag this sells for. I kept hoping for a few hours that it would morph into something better but it didn't. This was a fail.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I am now on my second bottle of Florabotanica. I love it. It is the perfect warm weather scent - fresh and girly without being too sweet. It hasn't got great longevity but I haven't come across a lighter fragrance that does. Definitely a signature scent of mine!

Popular Fragrances