E.L.F. Studio HD Blush (all)

E.L.F. Studio HD Blush (all)

Isododecane, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Cetearyl Methicone, Dimethicone, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Nylon-12, Barium Sulfate, Mica, Quaternium-18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate (Ve), Propylparaben. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Red No.27 Lake (CI 45410), Red No.7 Lake (CI 15850), Yellow No.5 Lake (CI 19140), Red No.40 Lake (CI 16035), Blue No.1 Lake (CI 42090), Ultramarine Violet (CI 77007), Manganese Violet (CI 77742)

on 4/13/2017 5:04:00 PM

At first it broke me out a little bit on the cheeks, i almost threw it away but after a few days it seems that my skin is used to it. But to be fair, my skin is very reactive to any new product.
Yes, you need to be very very careful because it is very pigmented. A tiny amount is WAY enough. I blend it in with my kabuki brush and it gives a very nice subtle hint of color/glow. I like it.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Rich pigmented color does not even begin to describe this blush. A pinhead is almost all you need on a cheek. This is serious stuff. I picked this up at my local Dollar Tree in Showstopper, a rich, deep burgundy, gothic color and absolutely love it. I thought it might be too dark for my fair skin, but it's not at all. I just have to use a tiny bit.
As another reviewer mentioned, it's best to mix HD Blush with another product. It comes out straight as a pin and actually hard. It's difficult to blend this way onto your cheek area. But that didn't stop me. I've blended it with both e.l.f.'s Shimmering Facial Whip in Lilac Petal (which is more of a coral) and also with Sephora's Colorful Cheek Ink Gel in Peony (bright pink), both of which are very creamy textures. I use one of those tiny plastic sampler pots and a tiny plastic mixer until I get the desired color. Be sure to mix very well, because the Studio Blush is hard and you want to make sure it's well blended into the mix. You don't need a lot, but then you have an instant cheek gel and also, a lipstick.
This stuff stays on forever. When I put the mixture on my lips, it did not come off until I literally took it off hours later. It just stayed on my lips, and it stayed the same color, a nice satiny sheen. Not matte, not frosted, just a satin. And the added beauty? It stayed creamy in the little pot so I could have it to re-use.
As for putting it on my cheeks, I used a wet sponge blender. It may take a few tries till you get the hang of it for the exact color you desire, but it's well worth it. It's a very natural look. For a buck I have a lipstick and blush that I can mix with other cream blushes to alter the tonal quality and I swear, this one bottle will last forever or until it dries out. We all know how expensive cream blushes can be. I won't be spending my money on the expensive ones anymore. I've found a far cheaper alternative that does double-duty for me now.
It's a permanent, strong color, so be sure to wash it off your sponge and fingers should you use them.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had a couple other of these shades but I don't know what happened to them, I will have to go dig them out coz well I recently got this in Encore in my PlayBeautiful elf subscription box. It is soooo pigmented. I made the mistake of applying this directly to my cheeks (the road to Hell is paved w good intentions...), so I didn't want to remove all my MU so I had to buff, powder, blend etc I still look quite "dramatic" an improvement from "lady of the evening" when I started out. Guise you literally need a size of a pin head of this product. ELF small stipple is gr8 4 this. Literally the most pigmented blush I've ever come across. Wtg ELF another winnerl!! This has a learning curve I would not suggest this to a beginner this requires a lot of patience/exasperation/practice but it is so worth it being a PITA initially. Cheap too $3 it will prob last forever but I'd stand in line to rebuy. Winning!!!

on 3/21/2016 7:53:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I have the bright red shade "embrace" and WOW it is highly pigmented and the smallest dot is plenty. It sets quickly so you have to blend it out fast. The finish is quite glowy and sheer once blended. I use my fingers to dab a dot on my cheeks, then pat it out. This shade is gorgeous as a lip colour too. You seriously can't go wrong for the price.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This stuff is so highly pigmented that I wanted to give it 5 stars, but I just can't because of the amount that's wasted due to its packaging. Too bad there isn't a way to pump out less from the bottle. Honestly, I use about 10% of a single pump, if that.

Currently, I have Diva and Encore, and plan to buy Headliner next. Normally those colors would be too intense for me, but I've found that topping the blush with the Highlights facial whip and blending really well lightens the HD blush and gives it a uniquely beautiful color and appearance.

I thought the facial whip shimmer would be too much, but it's pretty much masked by the strong pigmentation of the blush. However, it does give it an overall pretty glow, which is more than I was hoping for, honestly.

Here's how I apply it, just to make sure I don't overdo it: pump some onto the top of my hand, and swirl it with a brush I don't intend to use for my face (at least not until I clean the brush again). Then I take a blush brush (or a contour brush can be perfect too) ,and ever so lightly swirl it into the blush mixture. At this point, I pat the brush onto another part of my hand, in order to take off even more. After applying it to the apples of my cheeks and working my way back carefully, I use the facial whip.

I'm super careful about brushing or stippling it onto my cheeks because it is waayyy too easy to overdo it both in applying too much color and applying too much blush on my face. Usually with powder blush, it's so easy to stay right on the cheekbones that even a child could do it, but with this blush it just tends to want to take up too much space on my face. That's a major no-no, because then you have to start all over with taking it off and reapplying primer, foundation, powder, etc.

Some people might think this isn't even worth the hassle, but I love this blush once I got the hang of it.

Oh yeah, it's really great for those in the entertainment industry too. If you are an actress, singer, dancer, etc. on stage, definitely give this a try. It's sweat proof (once it's set) and the pigmentation will be perfect for the lights and distance of the crowds.

This is a very highly pigmented liquid blush. So pigmented that it can be extremely difficult to use. The pump dispenses way too much product, and I always ended up looking like a clown, despite the fact that I used very little.

I think the correct method is to pump some on the back of the hand and use a brush to apply, however, it stained the back of my hand so badly that I couldn't wash it off.

After a short while, the blush had separated, and nothing but clear, oily liquid oozed out of the pump. I tried shaking it, but it still did this.

Although the color is very pretty, I can't use it. It was a waste of money as far as I am concerned. If you like ELF, you may want to try their studio powder blushes. They are far better quality than this liquid junk.

On my third application I was able to get a reasonable result. Then the pump stopped working. I'm done with ELF would rather put the $3.00 toward a better product.

on 3/2/2016 5:30:00 PM

I tried this blush in a couple of the lightest shades, and as a pale person, I found it completely unusable. The amount that came out of the pump was probably 100 times the amount I needed, but I couldn't manage to apply a small enough amount to make it work. It is SOOOOO highly pigmented that I couldn't keep from looking like a Pierrot doll, or like I was having my worst rosacea outbreak ever.

I bought e.l.f.'s Studio HD Blush in Headliner last summer, and my daily makeup routine for blush is either this or Nars Mata Hari - I switch it up every so often.
The lasting power is pretty great, and it's cheap as hell, but the downside is either that it's too pigmented, or too hard to control the amount you squeeze out. If it were easier to control how much of this you squeezed out, the pigmentation wouldn't be a big deal, but I find it impossible to squeeze out just the right amount.
I personally don't use a brush with this stuff, partly because I'm lazy and most of the attraction for me with cream blush is that I don't really need a brush if I don't want to, which I find particularly appealing for travel. If you're applying this for the first time, be advised: use as little of it as possible and build if you need to. I squeeze out a bit onto my finger, and then smear a bit of it onto the back of my hand. After I've got the right amount on my finger, I smile and smooth it with a circular motion onto the apples of my cheeks. The result is a very cute, natural-looking flush.

ETA: If any of you have an issue where the pump stops working and the product won't come out, I had this issue for a long time too but recently finally fixed it, so product has started coming out of the nozzle again. There wasn't any particular trick but in case it helps anyone else: I pretty much took a safety pin and poked and swirled around inside the nozzle to clear out any clogs, and then rapidly and aggressively pumped down on the nozzle a bunch. Like I was holding the tube with one hand and using the flat palm of my other hand to quickly pump down *hard* on the top of the pump. For 5-10 minutes I alternated between pumping and stabbing inside the nozzle with the pin until finally the product started coming out again. Like I said, not exactly a simple or clever trick, but it worked, and I couldn't find anything online about fixing it so I thought I'd share with the rest of you.

Coming back over a year after buying this to change my review to 5 lippies. I use this stuff way too much to not give it 5 lippies. I have to say I might like it better than Nars powder blush, which was my HG for years. I'm also still on the same tube of the e.l.f.! Crazy good value. The only cons are getting used to the pigmentation and how much to apply, and the nozzle getting clogged, but even with those cons, this is a seriously good blush. I'd buy a backup, but I anticipate getting another year out of the same tube - luckily the pump is hygienic.

on 1/26/2016 12:25:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Comes in a punp. I boght superstar which is a peachy pink. This blush is highly pigmented. All I needed was a small dab. Used a damp beauty slonge to blend. The color is sheer. It is a thin liquid. It looks like a flush. Does not dry powdery. I think i'll try it as a lip stain. It smells ok and has no shimmer. Use real tiny squirts from the pump. One reviewer said pinhead size drop. Good advice. Looks and acts like a high end product for a drug store price. Color does not clash with my new mica lipstick..