LORAC PRO Palette

LORAC PRO Palette
Lorac Pro PaletteUDD and Lorac PalettePRO PalettePRO PalettePRO Palette

4.6

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Love this palette! Great color selection for everyday or neutral looks, with some colors for a pop of color! Great matte and satin shades and overall essential palette for anyone getting into makeup looking for an all-encompassing palette for everyday use.

on 11/20/2015 11:12:00 PM

SUMMARY/VERDICT:
I bought the Lorac Pro palette, my second mid-brand palette, because I thought I needed a true neutrals palette. And Pro does exactly that. The problem is that it does very little else.

Suffice it to say that the Lorac Pro palette is just very uninspiring. With some palettes, you look at the eyeshadows and immediately pull together a very nice look. Maybe it's my skin (fair-medium Asian neutral golden), but the Pro palette just didn't let me put together looks without help from other palettes. The quality is certainly there; it just wasn't very special. It's like going to a fancy restaurant with no extraordinary dishes. You shelled out a ton of money, sure the food's good, but you're kind of regretting that you didn't try that Japanese/Moroccan/Afghan restaurant down the street.

Buy it if...
You don't have any other neutral palettes.
You're an absolute noob in makeup
You love to work with browns and warm colors
You like to vary things up every day by using slightly different shadows
You have pale or fair skin
You want a safe gift for somebody who's into makeup

Don't buy it if...
You already have even just one or two other neutral palettes
You like pops of colors or non-brown shades
You don't like warm colored makeup
You tend to prefer to use a select few shades at one time
You have dark skin
You're looking for something that'll blow your mind

PALETTE QUALITY
First of all, the shadows are across the board very nice to work with. The top 8 eyeshadows are all mattes and the bottom shades are all shimmers. Both of them, on the whole, are smooth and easy to work with -- with the exception of the one glitter shade Champagne, which has some unappetizing fallout. The shadows do tend to be a little powdery, but it's nothing that will really affect you much, unless you're accustomed to stabbing your brush into the pan.

If you're looking for Stila Kitten style shimmers -- i.e. bold, glamorous, and ultra-shimmery -- you're not going to get it here. These shimmers tend to be on the softer side, which for some people might work well, but I personally rely on a good bold shimmer to get that inner corner sparklin'. However, if you like softer, more subtle shimmers, these are the ones for you.

The mattes are fairly smooth and pigmented, except for (ironically) Black, which is actually kind of lame -- workable, but still lame. These are workhorse mattes, and if you had money to burn, I could see why you'd be attracted to the mattes.

COLOR SELECTION:
Here is where I think the Pro palette fails the hardest. Many shades are near dupes of each other (White/Cream/Light Pink, Nude/Champagne, Black/Grey/Dark Purple). You're paying for 16 different shades, but in practicality, you're really getting just 11. I would have much preferred it if they had made the colors less similar -- for example, make the dark purple less purple, exchange the champagne for a silver, etc.

This very warm-leaning palette is filled with creams, true browns, a couple of pinkish-browns, and one or two greys and reds. I would say that 6 are light colors, 6 are medium colors, and 4 are dark colors -- so definitely angled towards a very "daily look" aesthetic. In fact, it's so "daily look" that it's reached the point where the color selection is the stereotype of a "daily look" palette. And that's the Achilles heel of the palette. You can play with the colors all you like, but in the end, you're only really going to get two looks -- either a very brown smokey eye or neutral "daily" looks of slight variation.

I also have qualms as to whether people of color would be able to benefit much from this palette. I'm fair-medium, angling more on the fair, and even with a primer and base, the shadows don't really show up much on me; nor is there really much variation even in the colored shades (e.g. Pewter and Garnet aren't THAT different). On pale skin I'm sure it would be more noticeable. I doubt medium-dark skin would benefit much -- but don't take it from me.

COST/CASE/PRESENTATION:
When you buy the Pro palette, it comes in a sleek looking cardboard box with a small Lorac primer sample. It's elegant enough and certainly not cheap looking. The palette is slim, sleek, and well designed. You're definitely getting your money's worth, aesthetically.

The case itself is rubberized cardboard. Many people rant about it because it does attract dust, fingerprints, and eyeshadow residue, but that's never really been a big thing for me. There is a nice large mirror inside the case, above the eyeshadows.

Now I do have issues with the size of the pans, which are penny-sized. It's kind of like paying $42 dollars for a sample of 16 small appetizers. To eat all of them would take you a while, sure. But you're naturally going to prefer some appetizers (like Nude, Light Bronze, or Taupe), and you're probably not going to eat much of some others (like Black, Slate, White, and Deep Purple). A sampler is great for a beginner in makeup or someone with very few makeup palettes. But if you already know what you want or what looks good with you, why bother?

CONCLUSION:
If you're willing to spend $42 for a sampler of neutral shadows, then go for it. If you're a beginner at makeup, this is certainly a good mid-range starter. And the colors will work even better with fair/pale skin.

But otherwise -- not to diss the quality of the shadows -- you're probably better off spending your money on a palette with fewer colors, but more shades that you'll use, and more variety of looks.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I purchased this for $42.00 USD from Amazon. This is a solid selection of matte and shimmer. The texture of the shadows is very good. The powder feels almost creamy and each shad has pigmentation. Unfortunately, it tends to kick up a lot of dust within each pan so the packaging tends to get dirty very quickly.

A good neutral palette. It is versatile and I would definitely recommend it to someone looking for the basics. If you have many palettes, it is quite dupable.

White - A matte (?) cool toned white. I found this actually had a small amount of microshimmer when examined under a bright light. I prefer matte, slightly darker, more yellow toned shades for the brow bone and actual shimmer for inner eye highlight so this shade is a tad useless for me. I'll probably use this as an all over shade to help blending after I finish cream.

Cream - A matte pale beige. Used as a base lid colour after eye primer to assist with blending. This is lighter and pinker than my natural skin colour.

Taupe - A matte, warm toned medium brown. Works as a good crease or transition colour for my skintone. Reminds me of Urban Decay Buck but it tends to run warmer.

Lt. Pink - A matte (?) pale pink. I thought this shade also contained a mauveish microshimmer under bright lights though it is not otherwise noticeable. Also nice as an overall lid shade.

Mauve - A matte, cool toned muted plum. Useful as a cool toned crease/transition colour. It pairs well with Lt. Pink and Garnet.

Sable - A matte, medium dark reddish brown. Nice if you want to darken the outer-v on a more neutral day or as a crease colour on a more dramatic eye-look.

Espresso - A matte, dark blackish brown. Nice to subtly line upper and lower lashlines. Useful for darkening the outer-v for more intense looks.

Black - A matte black. I typically use this to set liquid or gel eyeliners or to smoke out the lashline.

Nude - A shimmery, warm champagne beige. Similar to Urban Decay Virgin but less pink toned. I use this for the inner corner as well as sometimes as a face highlight. Also nice in halo eyes.

Champagne - A shimmery, cool toned silvery champagne. I don't really like this shade. It is the shade most prone to fall out in the palette and after every use I find silver sparkles under my eye.

Gold - A shimmery warm toned medium gold. It leans slight orange though it is mostly neutral. Looks amazing with Garnet.

Lt. Bronze - A shimmery, light-medium beige. A subtle easy one shadow look for days you're rushed for time.

Pewter - A shimmery, cool toned brown with strong purple undertones. When you blend this out the purple comes through much more. Also nice for a darker one shadow look.

Garnet - A shimmery muted copper that leans brown. A standout shade in the palette.

Deep Purple - A shimmery dark purple with a blackened base. Not my favourite shade. The purple doesn't really show up and when blended leaves mostly the black base.

Slate - A shimmery gunmetal with cool blue undertones. This is a decent shade though not one I typically gravitate towards.

on 7/25/2015 8:24:00 PM

I'm in the minority who doesn't really like this palette. For reference, im nc42 medium tan skin, black hair and black eyes. Pros- 1. the eyeshadow quality is awesome. shadows are very pigmented, great colour payoff, blend easily. 2. the slim packaging is great for travel/ storage 3. i like that there are 12 shades, even though they're only 1gram each. Cons- 1. the shade range does nothing for me. Colours like champagne look way too stark on my skintone. I hate slate shades and the deep purple colour ends up looking black. Also im not a fan of light pink shades for my lid. I wish there were more yellow toned lighter shades. 2. the outside packaging gets dirty sooo easily. I'm a sucker for pretty packaging but after using this for a while it just looks so dirty.

on 2/25/2015 3:30:00 AM

Before I purchased this, I have done some research on which eyeshadow palette I should buy. After watch a lot of reviews from youtube and read some blogs, I decided to buy it.

Bought it from Ulta online for $42. I was so excited when the package arrived. The package is thin, light, has a magnet on it so we can close it easily.

I love this palette because it has half matte and half shimmer. You can do "no makeup" look, everyday makeup, natural makeup, glam makeup, basically you can do any makeup look you want using this palette.

Besides having lovely shades, what I do love about this palette is the pigmentation. The dark colors are so pigmented and buttery, you just have to use very tiny amount and it will show off on your eyelid and will last all day. But I face some fallout on light colors such as nude, champagne, bronze. I don't mind at all because I use that light colors mainly for inner corner or on waterline only.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

im obessed with Lorac! their products are so pigmented and blendable! this pallet creates so many different looks. love the matte shades I wear with the "behind the scenes" eye primer and its perfect! this is about $40 bucks. I prefer lorac over the urban decay nakeds

on 11/18/2014 9:29:00 PM

Top quality shadows. I think the colors in this palette are all beautiful and very well chosen. Excellent that there is a row of matte and a row of shimmer. So, the combination of the colors and the finishes gives you countless options for looks. Again, the quality is simply amazing.

If I had to choose just one palette, it would most likely be this one.

on 9/25/2014 7:42:00 AM

The palette is over hyped. I really wanted to try lorac pro palette 1, but I had to pay a ridiculous price! It isn't all that, but I will say the shadows are so soft and blendable if you have the right brush, the application will be better.. The compact gets very dirty and its very easy for the inside palette to get dirty too. I had a hard time finding this in the uk, one seller online sent me a fake lorac 2 @ I had to return it, so for those who live in uk be careful wher u buy this from. Its a huge disappointment lorac is not in the uk. It should be selling in places like debhanams or house of fraser! However I don't think il buy this again as the prices are ridiculous everywhere and not easy to find in uk. I kind of like the palette but I definitely would not buy again as you can easily get neutral colours from other brands. I really wanted to see what all the hype was about. Out of the palette I like garnet which is one unique shade, nude and mauve. This is sooo over hyped on yt too! There basically just simple nude colours, I prefer the balm nude tude palette, too faced chocolate palette and urban decay 1 palette much more then the lorac 1 palette.

on 11/14/2013 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

This has to be my favorite palette. The colors are so so pigmented, warm rich, and smooth. There is a bit of fallout but I don't mind it. It has all the colors you need to create a full eye look. There's perfect transition, highlight, lid, and outer lid definition colors. It is everything you need in a palette and more. Watch my youtube tutorial link below :)

Love love love! This is my new go-to palette. I own a TON of eyeshadow palettes, and the Lorac Pro palette is a rare gem. The colors are so buttery smooth, rich, and pigmented. Just the tiniest dab of product goes a long way, and the colors blend effortlessly. I must confess that I am an eyeshadow hoarder, but I can easily see myself hitting the pan on a few of these shades (which has yet to happen!). I know upon first glance it may appear to be just another "neutral palette". But this is far more than that. The range and depth of colors is unrivaled. The darker colors are rich, intense, and a dream to work with. Unlike the Naked palettes, these shades sit better with my skin tone (warm/medium) and look classier. It is more balanced in that there are 8 mattes and 8 shimmers, and the nice thing about the shimmers in this palette is that they are softer, and give of a wet, "dewy" look (as many shimmer shades can tend to look more metallic). Additionally, this palette is extremely versatile: from day looks to night looks, from professional to edgy/glam. The only downside is that the palette casing itself gets dirty easily and although there's 16 shades, the amount of product per pan isn't a whole lot. But overall, I love this palette, and Lorac has once again proved not to disappoint!