LORAC PRO Palette

4.4

on 2/23/2016 2:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I deliberated over and researched this palette to death for over two months, and finally pulled the trigger. I don't have access to LORAC where I live so I had to buy it sight unseen with only the reviews and swatches to go on. Needless to say I was excited. I had one LORAC palette before (Miss Davenporte) and while I love the texture of their shadows I found the colour selection not so great for my skintone.

Anyway on to this palette. While the quality of the shadows is good, with pretty decent colour payoff, I just don't get excited when I use this palette. In fact, I kind of have singles of most of these colours already in my collection, and in some cases better versions of the colours. My favourite shades so far have been Mauve, which is an interesting medium shade, and a surprise like was Garnet which I had anticipated ignoring altogether since I don't usually use red eyeshadow. Oh and I really love Slate, even though I have similar colours, it is just a very flattering blue-grey shimmer.

I was most disappointed in the light wash colours like Nude, Champagne and Cream. They appeared a bit grainy on my eyelid instead of smoothly, and I still ended up buying an eyeshadow single to meet my all over wash needs.

So I was a little let down by this palette because I expected it to be really amazing based on all the reviews. Perhaps, if you already have a lot of these colours, you can give it a skip. It's certainly a great palette if you don't already have a tonne of eyeshadow, as I admittedly do, and the quality of the product is good for the price.

Just one last note, the shadows are packed rather loosely and a lot of product is kicked up by makeup brushes, so all you need to do is tap lightly to pick up colour. I see this as a minus because I think a lot of product is wasted this way.

2018 update: I have recently cleared out some of my older makeup so I've come to see this palette as my go-to one for all my basics and staples, and it has grown on me since I reviewed it years ago. I've also hit pan on a few shades - Cream, Taupe, Light Bronze. Viewing it in this light makes it appreciate it a lot more.

on 2/18/2016 1:38:00 AM

Pros:
1. Unbelievable texture! Very soft and buttery!
2. Amazing color payoff.
3. Very blendable.
4. Wonderful selection of colors! Very dynamic.
5. Comes with a primer.
6. Has a large mirror for ease in application.

Cons:
1. The matte rubber packaging attracts dirt, glitter, and powder! Similar to Nars packaging.
2. Expensive.

I love this palette more than my Urban Decay Naked 3 and Smoky. This is cheaper than the UD palettes but I have to say, personally, I love the texture and application of Lorac shadows than UD. This is a must have for beauty junkies and collectors! I hope you'll love this as much as I do. :)

on 2/11/2016 1:37:00 PM

Very pigmented colors that are also good for every day use. I was gifted this and the Urban Decay Naked 1 palette at the same time so it's been interesting to compare the two. A lot of colors are similar but this palette does feel overall more pigmented and I like the mattes. The only little thing is the color Champane is very dusty for some reason and kind of gets outside its little square a lot.

The packaging gets SOO dirty and smudgy though, after 1 week it looked like I'd been using it for months. Kind of annoying!

on 6/27/2015 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I really struggle with my feelings on the LORAC Pro Palette. I really, really want to love it. It's got a wonderful array of neutral shades with a few pops of color thrown in for good measure. Taupe is the best for my crease. There's so many things I, in theory, should love about this palette.

But the truth is, I don't really love it. I like it so-so, but it's not a love. I can't say that I would never repurchase it because I'm technically on my second one, but it's a regret buy. I exchanged my first one on Reddit's /r/makeupexchange and I'll likely be doing it again with this one as well.

Here's the main problem: the colors just come out muddy within a few hours of wearing them. I've experimented with primers (LORAC, Too Faced, UD, NARS, etc.), MAC Paint Pots, etc. and the result is the same. I've mixed up how I blend: very little amounts, excessive amounts, the result comes out to be the same. Within hours, the color is one, large, taupe-y blah mess on me.

The colors are lovely and have decent pigmentation, but if they can't stay the colors I'm looking for, I don't necessarily know that it's worth me buying and using still. Even the darkest shades become dull and gray-colored after a few hours of wear.

It's a good work horse palette, though. The shades are great neutrals and it's solid for those with conservative work environments, but still able to play nice if you're looking for a night on the town or some fun with your looks.

Pros:

- Nice mix of mattes and satins
- Taupe is the most wonderful crease shade (for those on the lighter end of the skintone spectrum)
- Decent pigmentation
- Great for any kind of work environment

Cons:

- After few hours of wear, colors become muddied even with different primers/Paint Pots/bases, etc.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am an outlier. LORAC pro isn't my favorite or most used palette. It just doesn't excite me like some of my others. Yes the quality is there. Yes the colors are pretty. But I have others that I just feel fit my skin tone and eye color better. I'll keep it and power through but I won't repurchase.

on 2/25/2015 3:30:00 AM

Before I purchased this, I have done some research on which eyeshadow palette I should buy. After watch a lot of reviews from youtube and read some blogs, I decided to buy it.

Bought it from Ulta online for $42. I was so excited when the package arrived. The package is thin, light, has a magnet on it so we can close it easily.

I love this palette because it has half matte and half shimmer. You can do "no makeup" look, everyday makeup, natural makeup, glam makeup, basically you can do any makeup look you want using this palette.

Besides having lovely shades, what I do love about this palette is the pigmentation. The dark colors are so pigmented and buttery, you just have to use very tiny amount and it will show off on your eyelid and will last all day. But I face some fallout on light colors such as nude, champagne, bronze. I don't mind at all because I use that light colors mainly for inner corner or on waterline only.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I already love Lorac, and couldn't wait to purchase this. The first time I saw it in store, I actually thought for a moment they were cream shadows because they are literally THAT creamy. I was a little worried when I saw reviews here about the pans running out quickly and there being so much waste when picking up the product with a brush. I bought it anyway, as I often do despite warnings, and I'm so glad I did. First, yes you need to use a light hand. This is not a hard, chalky cheap palette. This is an insanely pigmented, rich and creamy shadow, so I actually just lightly tap my brush on the shade once. Then I tap it on my lid. If I need more, which is rare, I repeat. It makes zero sense to rub at the pan to coat the brush and then tap the excess off. Why on earth anyone would do that, I have no idea. I have never run into a palette this pigmented and every shade performs well. I actually had to get used to not applying this like my other palettes, and sometimes I find myself being more vigorous than I need out of habit. I owned Naked 3 for about 4 days, and returned it because it was so disappointing. I have never gone back to UD as I see no point when Lorac consistency puts out amazing products. The shade Nude in this palette reminds me of Dust from N3, except Nude isn't made of freaking dust particles. It actually applies to the lid. So happy I picked this up and I can see it lasting a long time as I've had it several weeks, have used at least one shade daily, and it looks like I've used it maybe once. And mine isn't filthy either, I'm sure it has something to do with my light tap application.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

im obessed with Lorac! their products are so pigmented and blendable! this pallet creates so many different looks. love the matte shades I wear with the "behind the scenes" eye primer and its perfect! this is about $40 bucks. I prefer lorac over the urban decay nakeds

on 12/13/2014 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

PROS

- color selection
- contains both matte/shimmer finishes
- easy to blend
- very soft
- long wearing

CONS

- mattes kick up a ton of product
- some fallout
- amount of product

COMMENTS: Very beautiful palette. I love the fact that there is an equal amount of both shimmer and matte finishes. They're incredibly pigmented, easy to blend, long wearing, and very soft. They're almost too soft. I have to be very careful when picking up product with my brush or else they create a mess. These shadows can be so easily dented and create fallout. Then again, the fact that they're so buttery is also a good thing. They're so easy to work with. It's a great palette to have if you love neutrals. I wish it contained more product, but they're such great quality regardless.

Will repurchase.

on 12/2/2014 1:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Normally, I'm more into contouring and "face stuff" than I am eyes. Most eyeshadows just don't look good on me, so it's hard to get excited about cream and brown all day everyday. But, I decided that I needed to switch up my game and deviate from my daily "naked" palette, which is too warm for me anyway, and couldn't decide between naked 3, or the Smashbox on the rocks palette. Then I saw this. I'd seen it online before and thought it was ugly, but in person, the colors are so much better. It literally is PERFECT. One matte white and one matte black, which is awesome in and of itself. I'm sick of the shimmer everywhere. I like that this palette is actually half matte, with all the matte colors you'd want like pink and cream and mauve and dark brown. The shimmers are really rich, and are all accent colors, so they're ones you would want to have a shimmer. Like bronze, champagne and deep burgundy, for instance. Every color is very wearable, like there's no "that's nice, but not for me" colors in here. And they are soo blendable; more so than UD, and very pigmented. That's a hard combo to find! Love love love- LORAC, you never let me down <3