LORAC PRO Palette

LORAC PRO Palette
Lorac Pro PaletteUDD and Lorac PalettePRO PalettePRO PalettePRO Palette

4.4

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I live in the UK and after many months of listening to how amazing this palette is, I finally gave in and bought it from Nordstrom USA. I completely regret this purchase!

I feel like the formula of these shadows is no better than MAC eyeshadows, with some being better than others. They don't have a high-end eyeshadow consistency for me. The pigment isn't great, intensity poor and colours are quite everyday & boring.

I tested the palette out and was seriously underwhelmed, but considering it cost me over $100 with shipping, I was determined to use it! After nearly 1 year, I still haven't used it properly, because every time I go to use it, I am so disappointed by the end result that I add other shadows to give me a look that I can actually wear out. I like quite a understated neutral look for everyday, but still the palette isn't for me.

It's not awful, it's just not very good!

Oh! The packaging is just rubbish! Picks up marks so easily, isn't pretty, classy or special.

If you fancy this palette, do yourself a favour and buy a palette by the following brands instead (better quality and cheaper):
Stila
Zoeve
Too Faced
Urban Decay

...............................

on 8/20/2016 9:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I already own several palettes so this one isn't really unique. It has beautiful basic staple colors that everyone should have in their makeup collection. The performance of the shadows is outstanding in terms of blendability. They blend so effortlessly and the pigment is amazing. The texture and performance reminds me of the Morphe palettes. So in other words they feel cheap because they're quite dry. When putting your brush in the matte shadows, it does kick up A LOT of dust. I feel that the price of $44 is reasonable considering you're getting 16 eyeshadows and a travel size eye primer. The eye primer it comes with is a "silicony" one. There's .32 oz in the palette and .19 oz in the primer. I also own the Lorac Unzipped eyeshadow palette, which is unique from any other palette I have (more rose-gold tones) and Lorac Unzipped Gold palette. All of the matte shades kick up so much dust!!

My final though is this: I would repurchase only because the shades are very easy to work with (both frost and matte). However I HATE the fact that the matte shadows kick up so much product when you just dab your brush in it. It is a real annoyance for me, but won't stop me from buying more Lorac palettes.

on 6/14/2016 12:47:00 AM

This palette is the most versatile one that I own. With it's color selection and it's half matte/half satin or shimmer selection I can create simple daytime to dramatic night out looks. These shadows make professional quality eyelooks easy.

Pros: Great silky, pigmented, and blendable formula. Nice combo of colors and matte/shimmer. Some warm and some cool shades that are flattering on most people. SUPER long lasting; when I wear these with other brands the Lorac always outlasts the others by 2-3 hours.

Cons: Champagne's glitter is a bit too chunky and tends to give me sparkle face fall-out. Deep purple looks more like a charcoal on the eye which I found incredibly disappointing because I love purple.

Tip: Since these are crazy pigmented use a light hand. I find the softer, less densely packed eyeshadow brushes are the best to use with this formula.

on 5/12/2016 6:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

This palette is amazing! The quality of the shadows is superb--great pigmentation, easy to blend, minimal fallout. The color selection is really top notch. Every color you'll need for any kind of eye look. You have your highlights--both matte and shimmery. You have crease shades and transition shades for every skin tone. You have liner shades. You have great lid shades, like pewter and garnet. It's super versatile, I can use it on face and eyes (taupe as contour, light bronze as highlight). This palette is great for both beginners and experts. I would recommend this palette 10 times over. Great buy!

on 2/22/2016 2:39:00 PM

Got this and the Pro 2 for Christmas. I use them everyday though I think I use the colors from the Pro 2 slightly more. Love the pigmentation and blending. My favorite color on this one is by far the mauve. Cream is a common base, and Garnet gets used a good bit as well.

on 1/13/2016 12:02:00 AM

Lorac is an amazing cosmetic brand! The pro palette contains both shimmer and matte shades that are buttery and extremely pigmented. The shimmer shades are super rich, spritzing some fix+ to your brush before you apply the eyeshadow makes the colors pop that much more.

on 11/20/2015 11:12:00 PM

SUMMARY/VERDICT:
I bought the Lorac Pro palette, my second mid-brand palette, because I thought I needed a true neutrals palette. And Pro does exactly that. The problem is that it does very little else.

Suffice it to say that the Lorac Pro palette is just very uninspiring. With some palettes, you look at the eyeshadows and immediately pull together a very nice look. Maybe it's my skin (fair-medium Asian neutral golden), but the Pro palette just didn't let me put together looks without help from other palettes. The quality is certainly there; it just wasn't very special. It's like going to a fancy restaurant with no extraordinary dishes. You shelled out a ton of money, sure the food's good, but you're kind of regretting that you didn't try that Japanese/Moroccan/Afghan restaurant down the street.

Buy it if...
You don't have any other neutral palettes.
You're an absolute noob in makeup
You love to work with browns and warm colors
You like to vary things up every day by using slightly different shadows
You have pale or fair skin
You want a safe gift for somebody who's into makeup

Don't buy it if...
You already have even just one or two other neutral palettes
You like pops of colors or non-brown shades
You don't like warm colored makeup
You tend to prefer to use a select few shades at one time
You have dark skin
You're looking for something that'll blow your mind

PALETTE QUALITY
First of all, the shadows are across the board very nice to work with. The top 8 eyeshadows are all mattes and the bottom shades are all shimmers. Both of them, on the whole, are smooth and easy to work with -- with the exception of the one glitter shade Champagne, which has some unappetizing fallout. The shadows do tend to be a little powdery, but it's nothing that will really affect you much, unless you're accustomed to stabbing your brush into the pan.

If you're looking for Stila Kitten style shimmers -- i.e. bold, glamorous, and ultra-shimmery -- you're not going to get it here. These shimmers tend to be on the softer side, which for some people might work well, but I personally rely on a good bold shimmer to get that inner corner sparklin'. However, if you like softer, more subtle shimmers, these are the ones for you.

The mattes are fairly smooth and pigmented, except for (ironically) Black, which is actually kind of lame -- workable, but still lame. These are workhorse mattes, and if you had money to burn, I could see why you'd be attracted to the mattes.

COLOR SELECTION:
Here is where I think the Pro palette fails the hardest. Many shades are near dupes of each other (White/Cream/Light Pink, Nude/Champagne, Black/Grey/Dark Purple). You're paying for 16 different shades, but in practicality, you're really getting just 11. I would have much preferred it if they had made the colors less similar -- for example, make the dark purple less purple, exchange the champagne for a silver, etc.

This very warm-leaning palette is filled with creams, true browns, a couple of pinkish-browns, and one or two greys and reds. I would say that 6 are light colors, 6 are medium colors, and 4 are dark colors -- so definitely angled towards a very "daily look" aesthetic. In fact, it's so "daily look" that it's reached the point where the color selection is the stereotype of a "daily look" palette. And that's the Achilles heel of the palette. You can play with the colors all you like, but in the end, you're only really going to get two looks -- either a very brown smokey eye or neutral "daily" looks of slight variation.

I also have qualms as to whether people of color would be able to benefit much from this palette. I'm fair-medium, angling more on the fair, and even with a primer and base, the shadows don't really show up much on me; nor is there really much variation even in the colored shades (e.g. Pewter and Garnet aren't THAT different). On pale skin I'm sure it would be more noticeable. I doubt medium-dark skin would benefit much -- but don't take it from me.

COST/CASE/PRESENTATION:
When you buy the Pro palette, it comes in a sleek looking cardboard box with a small Lorac primer sample. It's elegant enough and certainly not cheap looking. The palette is slim, sleek, and well designed. You're definitely getting your money's worth, aesthetically.

The case itself is rubberized cardboard. Many people rant about it because it does attract dust, fingerprints, and eyeshadow residue, but that's never really been a big thing for me. There is a nice large mirror inside the case, above the eyeshadows.

Now I do have issues with the size of the pans, which are penny-sized. It's kind of like paying $42 dollars for a sample of 16 small appetizers. To eat all of them would take you a while, sure. But you're naturally going to prefer some appetizers (like Nude, Light Bronze, or Taupe), and you're probably not going to eat much of some others (like Black, Slate, White, and Deep Purple). A sampler is great for a beginner in makeup or someone with very few makeup palettes. But if you already know what you want or what looks good with you, why bother?

CONCLUSION:
If you're willing to spend $42 for a sampler of neutral shadows, then go for it. If you're a beginner at makeup, this is certainly a good mid-range starter. And the colors will work even better with fair/pale skin.

But otherwise -- not to diss the quality of the shadows -- you're probably better off spending your money on a palette with fewer colors, but more shades that you'll use, and more variety of looks.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is my favorite palette EVER. I spent dozens of trips to sephora and Ulta comparing eyeshadow formulas and color combinations before deciding to buy this one and I'm so happy I did. I wear boring neutral looks and this is the palette just for that. The eyeshadows are so soft and blendable, and so so opaque(including the black). When you barely dip a brush in the powder it picks it up like magic because it's so soft. I also love how there is a mixture of warm and cool. My only teeniest complaint is that the packaging gets pretty dirty due to the cardboard. I'd prefer a metal or plastic palette. Also, if you want a more create palette with less boring colors, this is not for you.

on 10/4/2015 6:52:00 PM

First of all, I'm Canadian, so Lorac products are extremely difficult for me to get. Putting that aside, I saw the reviews on this palette, so I knew I had to get it one way or another.

The shadows are so soft, and I love the idea of a row of matte and a row of shimmer. Everything shows up so well, even the lighter mattes. I always use eyeshadow primer, because it helps with the application and longevity of products. These shadows last all day and don't get muddy. There is quite a bit of fallout, so I took off a lippie for that. Otherwise, this is an amazing palette for a great price. My only wish is that the palette could clip close instead of having a magnetic clasp. I'm always worried it'd slip open or something.

Definitely get the palette if you can afford it!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I purchased this for $42.00 USD from Amazon. This is a solid selection of matte and shimmer. The texture of the shadows is very good. The powder feels almost creamy and each shad has pigmentation. Unfortunately, it tends to kick up a lot of dust within each pan so the packaging tends to get dirty very quickly.

A good neutral palette. It is versatile and I would definitely recommend it to someone looking for the basics. If you have many palettes, it is quite dupable.

White - A matte (?) cool toned white. I found this actually had a small amount of microshimmer when examined under a bright light. I prefer matte, slightly darker, more yellow toned shades for the brow bone and actual shimmer for inner eye highlight so this shade is a tad useless for me. I'll probably use this as an all over shade to help blending after I finish cream.

Cream - A matte pale beige. Used as a base lid colour after eye primer to assist with blending. This is lighter and pinker than my natural skin colour.

Taupe - A matte, warm toned medium brown. Works as a good crease or transition colour for my skintone. Reminds me of Urban Decay Buck but it tends to run warmer.

Lt. Pink - A matte (?) pale pink. I thought this shade also contained a mauveish microshimmer under bright lights though it is not otherwise noticeable. Also nice as an overall lid shade.

Mauve - A matte, cool toned muted plum. Useful as a cool toned crease/transition colour. It pairs well with Lt. Pink and Garnet.

Sable - A matte, medium dark reddish brown. Nice if you want to darken the outer-v on a more neutral day or as a crease colour on a more dramatic eye-look.

Espresso - A matte, dark blackish brown. Nice to subtly line upper and lower lashlines. Useful for darkening the outer-v for more intense looks.

Black - A matte black. I typically use this to set liquid or gel eyeliners or to smoke out the lashline.

Nude - A shimmery, warm champagne beige. Similar to Urban Decay Virgin but less pink toned. I use this for the inner corner as well as sometimes as a face highlight. Also nice in halo eyes.

Champagne - A shimmery, cool toned silvery champagne. I don't really like this shade. It is the shade most prone to fall out in the palette and after every use I find silver sparkles under my eye.

Gold - A shimmery warm toned medium gold. It leans slight orange though it is mostly neutral. Looks amazing with Garnet.

Lt. Bronze - A shimmery, light-medium beige. A subtle easy one shadow look for days you're rushed for time.

Pewter - A shimmery, cool toned brown with strong purple undertones. When you blend this out the purple comes through much more. Also nice for a darker one shadow look.

Garnet - A shimmery muted copper that leans brown. A standout shade in the palette.

Deep Purple - A shimmery dark purple with a blackened base. Not my favourite shade. The purple doesn't really show up and when blended leaves mostly the black base.

Slate - A shimmery gunmetal with cool blue undertones. This is a decent shade though not one I typically gravitate towards.