LORAC PRO Palette

LORAC PRO Palette
Lorac Pro PaletteUDD and Lorac PalettePRO PalettePRO PalettePRO Palette

4.5

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I hate being THAT GIRL, that one reviewer that has to blow a highly rated and raved about product out of the water with a low ranking. I already understand that I'm in the tiny minority of people who dislike this palette, but I'm hoping that anyone with similarly sensitive eyes/skin like me might find this useful. So ladies who find themselves allergic to all the things, this is for you!

I fell in love with the LORAC PRO Palette the second I swatched it at Sephora. The shadows felt buttery and gorgeous, and the pigmentation was super high. I'd already been using their Behind the Scenes Eye Primer for 6 months, and I was very curious to try more products from this brand. Every Sephora and Ulta near me was OOS when it came to this palette, which only made me that much more desperate to get my hands on it! I placed a rush order for 2 of these babies - one for me, and one for my mom, who had told me she was in need of some matte eyeshadows and a few purple-y shades. The PRO palette had both of those and more.

The first day I tried this, I was amazed by just how high the pigmentation was! I barely needed to dab at each shadow to get a ton of product. What LORAC did well here is noteworthy:

-- Listening to consumers about wanting a palette that offers true versatility. PRO is full of mattes and shimmers, highlighters and crease shades, neutrals and jewel tones, and of course most any color could be used either as a "one and done" wash or applied wet as a liner. I appreciate that LORAC offers something that could truly be an everyday/perfect travel palette, especially for cool-toned and fair girls. (The Naked palettes have always been too muddy, too shimmery, and too lacking in variety for my coloring and tastes.)

-- They offered a decent amount of product per pan, and the mini tube of BtS was just right for the price point. (For reference, my full-sized tube is slightly less than half full after half a year's use!)

-- The formula is long-lasting, easily blended, and the colors are true to pan.

However, the "soothing botanicals" (as noted by Sephora, a detail I saw after the fact) triggered an AWFUL reaction for me. I'm VERY allergic to plant-based ingredients. The online store I ordered from (Blush.com) did not mention this detail, but I feel stupid for not doing better research! In my own defense, I've never come across powder shadows that contain botanicals before, and in fact, powder eyeshadows are the one product that I've never had an issue with... until now. :(

The first day I used these, I wore them for about three hours before looking in the mirror and realizing that both my eyes looked bloodshot. They were itchy and my contacts felt foggy. I removed my lenses, stripped my entire face of makeup, and within an hour the redness subsided. The following day, the inner corner of my left eye turned a scary shade of bright red within about 20 minutes of applying the shadows in a smoky, smudgy eye look. Again, I removed everything and added some eye drops, and the problem cleared within another hour. I realized I was probably reacting to the powders, but because I'd started to fall in love with this palette, I stubbornly gave it one more try, doing a no-makeup makeup look with them the next day. BOOM. Same issue once again.

Worst of all, I had to double wash all the brushes I used with this palette. I realized that the spot cleaning I do wasn't enough to get all the powdery residue out of some of the hairs, meaning I wound up irritating my eyes again after I put the palette aside. However, once everything was properly cleaned and the palette had been taken far away from my stash, I never had another breakout. I know these eyeshadows were responsible, because again, I've used the BtS primer before, and I wasn't using any other new products at the time.

I was genuinely heartbroken about having to return the PRO palette after three days of receiving it. Nearly all of the colors worked for my NW15 skin and green eyes. I especially adored Mauve (matte cool rose-purple), Espresso (matte cool deep brown), Champagne (sparkly, gorgeous nude highlighter), Garnet (shimmery red-based gold with a slight duochrome quality), and Deep Purple (shimmery blue-based royal purple). I'm trying to find dupes for all of these shades right now.

This product received 2 stars because if I hadn't had an allergic reaction, my score would have easily been a 5. I still think the price is right for the product you receive, the versatility is wonderful, and the eye primer is a true winner. Also, my mother is crazy for her own PRO palette - she hasn't had a single issue and she gets compliments on it constantly. But for anyone who has sensitivity issues, particularly when it comes to plant-based ingredients, proceed with caution!

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I caved and bought this palette when I was at Sephora yesterday. I had been pining for it since it came out and I'm so glad I bit the bullet. I love this palette. It is rare to find a palette that contains as many matte shades as there are shimmer shades. I own a lot of UD palettes and the colors are usually so shimmery, I like that Lorac has included so many matte shades for us working girls.
There isn't one thing terrible about this palette. There are so many different combinations that you could make, either for day time or evening, mixing shimmer and matte shades. The texture of the shadows is so buttery soft and so easy to blend, the only negative thing I noticed is that when you dip your brush it, you get shadow flying.
Today I tried Cream on the lid and brow bone, Taupe in the crease and Sable lining my eyes and lower lash line. I can't wait to try more looks, especially with the Mauve and Garnet shadows, as I don't think I have shadows in these colors.
Overall a great purchase! You will not be disappointed.

You get 0.32 oz for each eyeshadow which doesn't seem like a lot but in UD's naked palette each shadow is 0.05 oz, so you get a lot.

Top row matte colors:
Pewter
Garnet
Deep Purple
Slate

I just tried the eye primer and is goes on smoothly but for keeping colors bright all day, the jury's still out. I'll come back and review it once I've had a chance to really test it out.

From Lorac's website (this look is hot):
"Go PRO this Fall with professional cosmetics from LORAC! To get the PRO look, first even out skin tone with Natural Performance Foundation. Add a long-lasting, velvety-rich glow to the apples of the cheeks with LORAC's PRO Powder Cheek Stain in Coral Crush. Highlight under eyes and on cheekbones with Perfectly Lit Luminizing Powder in Spotlight. For the eyes, always prime the eyelids with Behind The Scenes Eye Primer. Then to create this sultry eye look, Carol used the PRO Palette, using the Nude shade from lash line to brow bone, the Garnet shade on the lid and outer corner, and then defining the eyes with the Black Matte Shadow in the outer corner and crease. For a more dramatic effect, try the shadows wet. To line and define, use LORAC's PRO Cream Eyeliner in Black along the top and bottom lash line. Finish with big, babydoll lashes with LORAC's PRO Mascara. This lengthening and thickening mascara has a jumbo, tapered professional brush to grab even the finest of lashes and those hard to reach lashes in the corner of the eye. For the lips, mix the Vintage & Muse shades together from the Couture Shine Nudes Duo."

on 5/25/2017 2:02:00 AM

Honestly this palette is so overhyped in my opinion. The colours are too cool toned for my liking and they end up looking too muddy especially as time goes on. The colours just don't stand out once they're on the lid and it looks messy and muddy once on the lid. In the pan the colours look so good but it does NOT translate to the eyes well which is a major disappointment. I've tried so hard to use and like this palette but it's so underwhelming. I really regret buying this! I would not recommend this to anyone

on 12/5/2016 4:51:00 PM

When I first got this palette. I wasn't impressed. I wasn't inspired by the shade selection, which is very basic. I found the formula too soft, lots of kick-up and fall-out. Though the shadows are very pigmented, I thought they muddied up when I tried to blend.

But as I've used this palette more, I see what the hype's about. To avoid fall-out and muddiness, you just have to go in with as little product as possible and blend as you go. These are very pigmented, so there's no need to go in with a lot at once. Do that, and you'll get fall-out and a muddy look. However, used correctly this is a fantastic formula. It's so creamy, pigmented, and blends nicely when I use the aforementioned technique.

The shades are very basic, shades everyone should have but not particularly exciting. You can definitely create a lot of distinct looks using this if you use your imagination. It's nice for hooded eyes since you get a lot of mattes and I do love the layout, with all the mattes on top and shimmers on bottom. The formula is consistent throughout, none of the shadows are duds. I think this is a good palette to have in your collection.

on 6/27/2015 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I really struggle with my feelings on the LORAC Pro Palette. I really, really want to love it. It's got a wonderful array of neutral shades with a few pops of color thrown in for good measure. Taupe is the best for my crease. There's so many things I, in theory, should love about this palette.

But the truth is, I don't really love it. I like it so-so, but it's not a love. I can't say that I would never repurchase it because I'm technically on my second one, but it's a regret buy. I exchanged my first one on Reddit's /r/makeupexchange and I'll likely be doing it again with this one as well.

Here's the main problem: the colors just come out muddy within a few hours of wearing them. I've experimented with primers (LORAC, Too Faced, UD, NARS, etc.), MAC Paint Pots, etc. and the result is the same. I've mixed up how I blend: very little amounts, excessive amounts, the result comes out to be the same. Within hours, the color is one, large, taupe-y blah mess on me.

The colors are lovely and have decent pigmentation, but if they can't stay the colors I'm looking for, I don't necessarily know that it's worth me buying and using still. Even the darkest shades become dull and gray-colored after a few hours of wear.

It's a good work horse palette, though. The shades are great neutrals and it's solid for those with conservative work environments, but still able to play nice if you're looking for a night on the town or some fun with your looks.

Pros:

- Nice mix of mattes and satins
- Taupe is the most wonderful crease shade (for those on the lighter end of the skintone spectrum)
- Decent pigmentation
- Great for any kind of work environment

Cons:

- After few hours of wear, colors become muddied even with different primers/Paint Pots/bases, etc.

on 10/30/2014 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have pined after this for a few years, but it's not available in Australia, so when I found it on Amazon with shipping to Australia for $42 (plus shipping) I couldn't resist. It's so beautiful, a little goes a long way, the shadows are buttery and not chalky. They're easy to blend and I love that there are 50% matte shades. The shimmer shades are lovely they're wearable shimmers, not glittery in your face ones that are apparent in other popular palettes. The shades work together wonderfully so no matter your make up skill level you could use this no worries. The bonus eye shadow primer is great too, my shadow stayed fresh looking until it was time to remove it at bedtime. Side note if you buy off Amazon- their packaging for postage is poor I've heard many reports of broken palettes bring received. Mine was okay, but just so you know.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

This palette is a workhorse palette for me. This is definitely the most used palette I've owned. It has mostly neutral colors. A good amount of these colors lean cool (many of the lighter colors) while many of the medium/darker colors are either neutral or cool toned. Despite my warm toned skin, I find a lot of these colors to work well with my brown eyes.

I like the texture of these eyeshadows better than Urban Decay. These have better pigmentation, blendability, and less fallout than UD, imo. This is a very well balanced palette. The best part of the palette is that is has an equal amount of matte and shimmery colors, as well an equal amount of light and dark colors. They have at least three blending colors (taupe, mauve, and sable) and colors to darken a look.

The eyeshadows are a good size. I have been using it almost daily for 2 months and haven't hit pan yet. The only complaint I'd have is that there are some colors that are a little redundant. The light colors (white, light pink, cream) are very light and look pretty similar on my skintone (warm,NC20). The gold color is a very orange gold and is pretty bold. I didn't quite like the look of the gold and neither did my boyfriend! So, there's some colors in the palette that I could do without.

But I love the heck out of the brown, black/grey, or purple shades. The espresso is a beautiful brown and looks great on brown eyes. I'll use the black to line my top eye (I'm too oily skinned to wear it on the bottom!) I ended up wanting to return my Too Faced Chocolate Bar and Stila in the light palette because I feel there are colors that I like that are already in the Lorac pro palette.

My favorite looks: Using Maybelline's color tattoo eyeshadow in Tough as Taupe and layering Pewter on top and finish with black liquid liner. Beautiful!

I'm going to be a downer, and I think I'm just too picky.

I use it all the time, but mostly just because I spent so much money on it that I feel obligated to use it. I never get particularly excited about using it.

The eyeshadows are way too soft. I feel like I'm wasting a ton of the already small shadows by the cloud of powder that spills everywhere whenever I even lightly dip a brush into one.

The shadows look pigmented when swatched, but they're so soft and powdery that there is tons of fallout. If you tap off the brush to avoid fallout, all the eyeshadow is gone and there's none left on the brush to apply to your eyelid.

Then when you try to blend them, because they're so soft, all the pigment disappears and it all just blends into a muddy-looking blur.

I wish I had returned it when I had the chance.

Love love love! This is my new go-to palette. I own a TON of eyeshadow palettes, and the Lorac Pro palette is a rare gem. The colors are so buttery smooth, rich, and pigmented. Just the tiniest dab of product goes a long way, and the colors blend effortlessly. I must confess that I am an eyeshadow hoarder, but I can easily see myself hitting the pan on a few of these shades (which has yet to happen!). I know upon first glance it may appear to be just another "neutral palette". But this is far more than that. The range and depth of colors is unrivaled. The darker colors are rich, intense, and a dream to work with. Unlike the Naked palettes, these shades sit better with my skin tone (warm/medium) and look classier. It is more balanced in that there are 8 mattes and 8 shimmers, and the nice thing about the shimmers in this palette is that they are softer, and give of a wet, "dewy" look (as many shimmer shades can tend to look more metallic). Additionally, this palette is extremely versatile: from day looks to night looks, from professional to edgy/glam. The only downside is that the palette casing itself gets dirty easily and although there's 16 shades, the amount of product per pan isn't a whole lot. But overall, I love this palette, and Lorac has once again proved not to disappoint!

on 11/23/2012 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I like but don't absolutely love this product. That being said, it is a great overall product for those of us who like toned-down, soft looks. It's NOT a replacement for UD Naked 1, which has much more rich, shimmery tones.

As always, Lorac's e/s are very soft and blendable. At first, I was disappointed at how small each square e/s is, but each color is richly pigmented so you only need a tiny bit of each when you use them. The packaging is lovely, it's light, thin (perhaps half the thickness of the UD Naked palettes) and made of durable plastic, so it fits nicely against the side of a bag if you need to travel with it. I like that it's not fuzzy or rubbery like other palettes, so it doesn't get dirty as easily and is easy to wipe down.

The color range is well-balanced with good light, medium and dark shades, although I think there's at least 4 different browns in this palette so it leans sliiiightly warm. I love some of the shades more than others. The mattes (top row) are my favorite because they are buttery and well-pigmented without being OVERLY pigmented. The most unique color has to be the "Mauve" e/s because it's a beautiful, light, plummy color. The shimmers (bottom row) range from shimmery to satin-finish, which suits me because I like understated colors that don't look like a glitterfest.

However, am taking off a lippie because despite the great color range, the 4-6 lightest shades tend to look the same on my NC25/30 skin. I think this palette suits fairer skin types more because you can use ALL the colors and get them to show up true to the pan shade, whereas if you're medium-skinned or darker, you may only get good use out of 2/3 or 1/2 of the palette.

EDIT: Bumped this up to 5 stars. Traveling with this palette was a dream because of the packaging's thiness, and I recently fell in love with the dark purple shade. It's an AWESOME smokey and/or crease color.