LORAC PRO Palette

LORAC PRO Palette
Lorac Pro PaletteUDD and Lorac PalettePRO PalettePRO PalettePRO Palette

on 6/27/2015 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I really struggle with my feelings on the LORAC Pro Palette. I really, really want to love it. It's got a wonderful array of neutral shades with a few pops of color thrown in for good measure. Taupe is the best for my crease. There's so many things I, in theory, should love about this palette.

But the truth is, I don't really love it. I like it so-so, but it's not a love. I can't say that I would never repurchase it because I'm technically on my second one, but it's a regret buy. I exchanged my first one on Reddit's /r/makeupexchange and I'll likely be doing it again with this one as well.

Here's the main problem: the colors just come out muddy within a few hours of wearing them. I've experimented with primers (LORAC, Too Faced, UD, NARS, etc.), MAC Paint Pots, etc. and the result is the same. I've mixed up how I blend: very little amounts, excessive amounts, the result comes out to be the same. Within hours, the color is one, large, taupe-y blah mess on me.

The colors are lovely and have decent pigmentation, but if they can't stay the colors I'm looking for, I don't necessarily know that it's worth me buying and using still. Even the darkest shades become dull and gray-colored after a few hours of wear.

It's a good work horse palette, though. The shades are great neutrals and it's solid for those with conservative work environments, but still able to play nice if you're looking for a night on the town or some fun with your looks.

Pros:

- Nice mix of mattes and satins
- Taupe is the most wonderful crease shade (for those on the lighter end of the skintone spectrum)
- Decent pigmentation
- Great for any kind of work environment

Cons:

- After few hours of wear, colors become muddied even with different primers/Paint Pots/bases, etc.

My most reached for and super versatile palette ever! I love that it has the best of both worlds...mattes and shimmers! You can definitely create many different beautiful looks with this baby!

on 11/23/2014 4:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

Lots of great things about this palette but a few personal criticisms. There was so much kick up at first I was afraid I received a fake, but it's just that the pigments aren't as tightly pressed as other brands like UD. My brushes pick up more than I need so just tap it off before applying. The first few looks were muddy and awful until I realised softly is the way. Pick up, tap, pat on lids, blend out. Repeat until look achieved. I'm not hugely in to neutrals but everyone should have them. This palette is appealing to me as it offers a great range of colours that work well together. It's just missing some edgier shades for it to be my daily go to. I'm not finding that I can create a huge diversity of looks with just this one. The shades in pro 2 or mega pro look like they can create more. That said though the most amazing, and I mean game-changing AMAZING thing about the pro is the blendability. I have hundreds of shadows from so many brands and nothing blends as well as these. A soft fluffy blending brush does it quickly and cleanly, and my first few failed looks were probably so muddy because I am used to having to work much harder for that result. For 42 bucks from Amazon, this is a steal considering the quality of the shadows and how long they will last given you don't need much product. I'm not usually a matte fan but I use them more now with the pro. Unfortunately lt pink and mauve which are my favourite mattes seem a bit chalkier than the others. Likewise lt bronze and pewter seem less pigmented than the other shimmer shades. Interestingly these 4 shadows are the middle square of the palette and I wonder if that is just coincidence or a fault in mine. The champagne shimmer is going much quicker than the others, closely followed by slate. I use one of these in most looks created with the pro or with other palettes too. But really all the shades are quite versatile and even if you are like me and don't often do neutral, browny looks they are super handy to have on hand. Longevity is pretty excellent on its own bit colours and wear time are improved with the use of lorac behind the scenes primer, which is a star product in its own right. If you are considering purchasing this, do give the lorac palettes consideration as the quality and usability is in a class of its own, but might take a bit of practise or experimenting if you are not use to such pigmented, smooth shadows. Pro 1 seems geared at warm tones and 2 more cool, but unlike the UD nakeds I think the shades are more interchangeable. I'm a warm leaning neutral and think I prefer 2, so do some research and try them out. You won't regret it.

on 7/21/2014 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love my Lorac pro palette. The shadows are buttery smooth and highly pigmented. They blend easily and last all day.
All the colors in this palette are fantastic but the nude is a bit chalky compared to the rest.
I love the variety of looks possible. My usual day look is cream all over the lid, taupe in the crease and mauve to blend.
This summer I've really been loving the gold and garnet to bring out my blue eyes. Pewter is another one of my top shades in the palette.

on 7/9/2014 10:27:00 AM

This Palette made me a Lorac fan FOREVER. I bought this after having bad luck with the UD Naked 2. I had been wanting a palette for traveling and bought the Naked 2 after hearing so much hype from a friend. I wish I had done my research. After buying the Naked 2 and realizing it had TERRIBLE pigmentation, too much shimmer, and it irritated my eyes- I started researching. I wish I had done this before, everything online lead me to trying the Pro Palette. I went to 5-6 Ulta's here in the Phx Metro Area and could NOT find it anywhere... So I ended up ordering online. When this palette finally arrived I played around with it immediately and fell in love. I have told EVERYONE to order this palette. Taupe is one of my "go-to" shades, so pretty. This is worth every penny.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have the Urban Decay Naked 1 and 2 Palette, but I have always been curious about trying out the Lorac Pro Palette, because it has more matte shades and has overall more natural shades that are suitable for every day makeup.

Since Lorac products are not available in Europe I had to buy the palette on ebay but I am so happy that I bought it. I absolutely love this palette and I have been using it pretty much every time I am using makeup.

The palette has 16 eye shadows, 8 matte colours and 8 shimmery colours and I have mostly been using the matte shades to create more depth on my eyelids without making it look like I am wearing tons of eye makeup. I have also been using the matte dark brown eye shadow in the colour Espresso to fill out my brows, because it is the perfect shade.

Overall I can say that I prefer the Lorac Pro palette from the colour range, however the eye shadows are a little powdery and tend to leave more fallout whereas the Urban Decay eye shadows are quite creamy/buttery.

on 1/14/2014 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Love this palette. Beautiful colors and great pigmentation. Just the right mix of mattes and shimmers. Perfect for everyday AND nights out. I can do so many different looks with this.

I'm going to be a downer, and I think I'm just too picky.

I use it all the time, but mostly just because I spent so much money on it that I feel obligated to use it. I never get particularly excited about using it.

The eyeshadows are way too soft. I feel like I'm wasting a ton of the already small shadows by the cloud of powder that spills everywhere whenever I even lightly dip a brush into one.

The shadows look pigmented when swatched, but they're so soft and powdery that there is tons of fallout. If you tap off the brush to avoid fallout, all the eyeshadow is gone and there's none left on the brush to apply to your eyelid.

Then when you try to blend them, because they're so soft, all the pigment disappears and it all just blends into a muddy-looking blur.

I wish I had returned it when I had the chance.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I hate being THAT GIRL, that one reviewer that has to blow a highly rated and raved about product out of the water with a low ranking. I already understand that I'm in the tiny minority of people who dislike this palette, but I'm hoping that anyone with similarly sensitive eyes/skin like me might find this useful. So ladies who find themselves allergic to all the things, this is for you!

I fell in love with the LORAC PRO Palette the second I swatched it at Sephora. The shadows felt buttery and gorgeous, and the pigmentation was super high. I'd already been using their Behind the Scenes Eye Primer for 6 months, and I was very curious to try more products from this brand. Every Sephora and Ulta near me was OOS when it came to this palette, which only made me that much more desperate to get my hands on it! I placed a rush order for 2 of these babies - one for me, and one for my mom, who had told me she was in need of some matte eyeshadows and a few purple-y shades. The PRO palette had both of those and more.

The first day I tried this, I was amazed by just how high the pigmentation was! I barely needed to dab at each shadow to get a ton of product. What LORAC did well here is noteworthy:

-- Listening to consumers about wanting a palette that offers true versatility. PRO is full of mattes and shimmers, highlighters and crease shades, neutrals and jewel tones, and of course most any color could be used either as a "one and done" wash or applied wet as a liner. I appreciate that LORAC offers something that could truly be an everyday/perfect travel palette, especially for cool-toned and fair girls. (The Naked palettes have always been too muddy, too shimmery, and too lacking in variety for my coloring and tastes.)

-- They offered a decent amount of product per pan, and the mini tube of BtS was just right for the price point. (For reference, my full-sized tube is slightly less than half full after half a year's use!)

-- The formula is long-lasting, easily blended, and the colors are true to pan.

However, the "soothing botanicals" (as noted by Sephora, a detail I saw after the fact) triggered an AWFUL reaction for me. I'm VERY allergic to plant-based ingredients. The online store I ordered from (Blush.com) did not mention this detail, but I feel stupid for not doing better research! In my own defense, I've never come across powder shadows that contain botanicals before, and in fact, powder eyeshadows are the one product that I've never had an issue with... until now. :(

The first day I used these, I wore them for about three hours before looking in the mirror and realizing that both my eyes looked bloodshot. They were itchy and my contacts felt foggy. I removed my lenses, stripped my entire face of makeup, and within an hour the redness subsided. The following day, the inner corner of my left eye turned a scary shade of bright red within about 20 minutes of applying the shadows in a smoky, smudgy eye look. Again, I removed everything and added some eye drops, and the problem cleared within another hour. I realized I was probably reacting to the powders, but because I'd started to fall in love with this palette, I stubbornly gave it one more try, doing a no-makeup makeup look with them the next day. BOOM. Same issue once again.

Worst of all, I had to double wash all the brushes I used with this palette. I realized that the spot cleaning I do wasn't enough to get all the powdery residue out of some of the hairs, meaning I wound up irritating my eyes again after I put the palette aside. However, once everything was properly cleaned and the palette had been taken far away from my stash, I never had another breakout. I know these eyeshadows were responsible, because again, I've used the BtS primer before, and I wasn't using any other new products at the time.

I was genuinely heartbroken about having to return the PRO palette after three days of receiving it. Nearly all of the colors worked for my NW15 skin and green eyes. I especially adored Mauve (matte cool rose-purple), Espresso (matte cool deep brown), Champagne (sparkly, gorgeous nude highlighter), Garnet (shimmery red-based gold with a slight duochrome quality), and Deep Purple (shimmery blue-based royal purple). I'm trying to find dupes for all of these shades right now.

This product received 2 stars because if I hadn't had an allergic reaction, my score would have easily been a 5. I still think the price is right for the product you receive, the versatility is wonderful, and the eye primer is a true winner. Also, my mother is crazy for her own PRO palette - she hasn't had a single issue and she gets compliments on it constantly. But for anyone who has sensitivity issues, particularly when it comes to plant-based ingredients, proceed with caution!

Popular Palettes