LORAC PRO Palette

Lorac Pro PaletteUDD and Lorac PalettePRO PalettePRO PalettePRO Palette

4.4

on 6/1/2014 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Honestly i dont get the hype over this product. I've owned it for 6 months now and the shades aren't as pigmented as people make them out to be and there are far too many shades in this palette that are either too light are way too dark to use in a look. Overall i wouldn't purchase this again

I'm going to be a downer, and I think I'm just too picky.

I use it all the time, but mostly just because I spent so much money on it that I feel obligated to use it. I never get particularly excited about using it.

The eyeshadows are way too soft. I feel like I'm wasting a ton of the already small shadows by the cloud of powder that spills everywhere whenever I even lightly dip a brush into one.

The shadows look pigmented when swatched, but they're so soft and powdery that there is tons of fallout. If you tap off the brush to avoid fallout, all the eyeshadow is gone and there's none left on the brush to apply to your eyelid.

Then when you try to blend them, because they're so soft, all the pigment disappears and it all just blends into a muddy-looking blur.

I wish I had returned it when I had the chance.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I hate being THAT GIRL, that one reviewer that has to blow a highly rated and raved about product out of the water with a low ranking. I already understand that I'm in the tiny minority of people who dislike this palette, but I'm hoping that anyone with similarly sensitive eyes/skin like me might find this useful. So ladies who find themselves allergic to all the things, this is for you!

I fell in love with the LORAC PRO Palette the second I swatched it at Sephora. The shadows felt buttery and gorgeous, and the pigmentation was super high. I'd already been using their Behind the Scenes Eye Primer for 6 months, and I was very curious to try more products from this brand. Every Sephora and Ulta near me was OOS when it came to this palette, which only made me that much more desperate to get my hands on it! I placed a rush order for 2 of these babies - one for me, and one for my mom, who had told me she was in need of some matte eyeshadows and a few purple-y shades. The PRO palette had both of those and more.

The first day I tried this, I was amazed by just how high the pigmentation was! I barely needed to dab at each shadow to get a ton of product. What LORAC did well here is noteworthy:

-- Listening to consumers about wanting a palette that offers true versatility. PRO is full of mattes and shimmers, highlighters and crease shades, neutrals and jewel tones, and of course most any color could be used either as a "one and done" wash or applied wet as a liner. I appreciate that LORAC offers something that could truly be an everyday/perfect travel palette, especially for cool-toned and fair girls. (The Naked palettes have always been too muddy, too shimmery, and too lacking in variety for my coloring and tastes.)

-- They offered a decent amount of product per pan, and the mini tube of BtS was just right for the price point. (For reference, my full-sized tube is slightly less than half full after half a year's use!)

-- The formula is long-lasting, easily blended, and the colors are true to pan.

However, the "soothing botanicals" (as noted by Sephora, a detail I saw after the fact) triggered an AWFUL reaction for me. I'm VERY allergic to plant-based ingredients. The online store I ordered from (Blush.com) did not mention this detail, but I feel stupid for not doing better research! In my own defense, I've never come across powder shadows that contain botanicals before, and in fact, powder eyeshadows are the one product that I've never had an issue with... until now. :(

The first day I used these, I wore them for about three hours before looking in the mirror and realizing that both my eyes looked bloodshot. They were itchy and my contacts felt foggy. I removed my lenses, stripped my entire face of makeup, and within an hour the redness subsided. The following day, the inner corner of my left eye turned a scary shade of bright red within about 20 minutes of applying the shadows in a smoky, smudgy eye look. Again, I removed everything and added some eye drops, and the problem cleared within another hour. I realized I was probably reacting to the powders, but because I'd started to fall in love with this palette, I stubbornly gave it one more try, doing a no-makeup makeup look with them the next day. BOOM. Same issue once again.

Worst of all, I had to double wash all the brushes I used with this palette. I realized that the spot cleaning I do wasn't enough to get all the powdery residue out of some of the hairs, meaning I wound up irritating my eyes again after I put the palette aside. However, once everything was properly cleaned and the palette had been taken far away from my stash, I never had another breakout. I know these eyeshadows were responsible, because again, I've used the BtS primer before, and I wasn't using any other new products at the time.

I was genuinely heartbroken about having to return the PRO palette after three days of receiving it. Nearly all of the colors worked for my NW15 skin and green eyes. I especially adored Mauve (matte cool rose-purple), Espresso (matte cool deep brown), Champagne (sparkly, gorgeous nude highlighter), Garnet (shimmery red-based gold with a slight duochrome quality), and Deep Purple (shimmery blue-based royal purple). I'm trying to find dupes for all of these shades right now.

This product received 2 stars because if I hadn't had an allergic reaction, my score would have easily been a 5. I still think the price is right for the product you receive, the versatility is wonderful, and the eye primer is a true winner. Also, my mother is crazy for her own PRO palette - she hasn't had a single issue and she gets compliments on it constantly. But for anyone who has sensitivity issues, particularly when it comes to plant-based ingredients, proceed with caution!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Some of the eyeshadows in here are my HG! I love that the mattes actually show up on my medium skin and don't look dry or chalky. The only thing I don't like is that the staying power is not that great for the price. I never have to wear eyeshadow primers because almost every eyeshadow lasts all day for me, except this one, even with primer. However I still love that this palette is great for an everyday look and can still be used for a night out unlike the Naked palettes that are only good to wear for special occasions.

on 6/27/2015 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I really struggle with my feelings on the LORAC Pro Palette. I really, really want to love it. It's got a wonderful array of neutral shades with a few pops of color thrown in for good measure. Taupe is the best for my crease. There's so many things I, in theory, should love about this palette.

But the truth is, I don't really love it. I like it so-so, but it's not a love. I can't say that I would never repurchase it because I'm technically on my second one, but it's a regret buy. I exchanged my first one on Reddit's /r/makeupexchange and I'll likely be doing it again with this one as well.

Here's the main problem: the colors just come out muddy within a few hours of wearing them. I've experimented with primers (LORAC, Too Faced, UD, NARS, etc.), MAC Paint Pots, etc. and the result is the same. I've mixed up how I blend: very little amounts, excessive amounts, the result comes out to be the same. Within hours, the color is one, large, taupe-y blah mess on me.

The colors are lovely and have decent pigmentation, but if they can't stay the colors I'm looking for, I don't necessarily know that it's worth me buying and using still. Even the darkest shades become dull and gray-colored after a few hours of wear.

It's a good work horse palette, though. The shades are great neutrals and it's solid for those with conservative work environments, but still able to play nice if you're looking for a night on the town or some fun with your looks.

Pros:

- Nice mix of mattes and satins
- Taupe is the most wonderful crease shade (for those on the lighter end of the skintone spectrum)
- Decent pigmentation
- Great for any kind of work environment

Cons:

- After few hours of wear, colors become muddied even with different primers/Paint Pots/bases, etc.

on 12/7/2013 10:34:00 AM

I am probably in the minority here that wasn't all that impressed with the lorac pro palette. I tried so hard to love it because the colors are so amazing and it seemed like it had potential to be my go-to and travelling palette. However I had some blendability issues with some of the deeper matte shades. I'll sum up everything in pros and cons.

Pros:
- Gorgeous color selection
- The MOST pigmented eyeshadows I've come across. Every color swatched beautifully.
- 8 mattes, 8 shimmers. Genius !
- Long lasting (I have non oily eyelids)
- Texture is buttery smooth
- Packaging is very slim and lightweight. About half the size of a naked palette.
- The bottom half (shimmers) blend amazingly. The lighter matte shades also blend well.

Cons:
- The shadows are powdery and will leave fallouts. You must tap off the excess on your brush before applying it to your eyelids.
- The deeper mattes in the palette do not blend well. Mainly sable, expresso and black.

I don't know whether my palette was just a dud but the main crease colors which are the deeper MATTE browns and blacks don't want to blend for me. They love to leave a harsh line in my crease which makes me put SO much effort in blending it out. I have to blend so much that I got put off with using the palette. No there is nothing wrong with the way I apply my eyeshadows. I apply them the same way I apply my urban decay/too faced shadows and they all BLEND well. Plus I was annoyed with the fallouts and making sure I have to tap my brush before I start applying them.
One tip though, in order for me to get the deeper matte shades to work, I have to apply using a fluffier blending brush so that the colors are more evenly distributed and less concentrated. This will help prevent the harsh line in the crease area.

Overall I am just frustrated that i can't get myself to love this palette. I really wanted to. There's just more effort I must put in when using the mattes. (nothing wrong with the shimmers). But then again, like I said, the palette I got may have been a dud.

on 11/17/2012 4:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is a very nice palette, great quality buttery shadows, great packaging,,,,BUT

If you are like me and already own the 2011 Bejeweled Day & Night palettes, you already own most of these colors already. I really wish Lorac had been more original and gone with different, even slightly different colors. Also the Day & Night palettes were a MUCH better Value for the money (at $56 comes with 32 shadows, 2 blushes, a huge bronzer, 2 eyeliners, and 2 lip glosses). It kinda puts the $42 price tag on the Pro palette to shame.

Here is what is duplicated EXACTLY--same EXACT shade:

Taupe - is in the Day palette (top row 3rd one over)
Black - is in the Night palette (3rd row down 4th one over)
Nude - in Day palette (top left)
Champagne - Night (4th row 1st one)
Lt Bronze - Day (2nd row 2nd one over)
Pewter - Night (2nd row, 2nd one over
Garnet - Day (2nd row , 3rd one over)
Slate - Night (3rd row, 2nd one over)

Here are the shades that are not exact but close enough:
Cream - Day palette (2nd row down, 1st one)
Espresso - Day (1st row, 4th one over)
Gold - Day palette

So in sum, 11 out of the 16 you already have if you have the Bejeweled Day and Night palettes from holiday 2011. So do you need this Pro Palette when you got a much better deal last year? NO!

I bought the Lorac Pro palette but will sadly have to return it. I just don't need all these duplicates. I have better uses for my money

I think the Day and Night palettes are even more convenient since they come with coordinating blushes. No blushes in the Pro palette.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I think this product is pretty good, especially if you use the eye shadow primer with it! that primer is amazing! But I really love this palette, but it is just a bit harder to use than lets say the tartelette palettes. I think there is some fallout that ends up on the face while applying but i think it is worth it because they are just so pigmented! I'd suggest trying just one of these palettes first, and not buy all of them in one go like i did haha!
I am going to be uploading a swatch video on these palettes soon on my channel, kristenlynnsloves, if you want to check it out, or check out my video on the tartelette toasted palette, I will leave a link to my channel down below!
Channel :

on 8/20/2016 9:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I already own several palettes so this one isn't really unique. It has beautiful basic staple colors that everyone should have in their makeup collection. The performance of the shadows is outstanding in terms of blendability. They blend so effortlessly and the pigment is amazing. The texture and performance reminds me of the Morphe palettes. So in other words they feel cheap because they're quite dry. When putting your brush in the matte shadows, it does kick up A LOT of dust. I feel that the price of $44 is reasonable considering you're getting 16 eyeshadows and a travel size eye primer. The eye primer it comes with is a "silicony" one. There's .32 oz in the palette and .19 oz in the primer. I also own the Lorac Unzipped eyeshadow palette, which is unique from any other palette I have (more rose-gold tones) and Lorac Unzipped Gold palette. All of the matte shades kick up so much dust!!

My final though is this: I would repurchase only because the shades are very easy to work with (both frost and matte). However I HATE the fact that the matte shadows kick up so much product when you just dab your brush in it. It is a real annoyance for me, but won't stop me from buying more Lorac palettes.

on 11/28/2015 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I'm going to break this review into a few categories:

Packaging: I enjoy the slim, compact size of the palette. The magnetic closure and cardboard are lightweight but do a good job of protecting the shadows- I'm not afraid that they're going to shatter when I travel. The coating is rubberized and does attract dirt and fingerprints, which is something to consider if that bothers you. The mirror also lays very close to the shadows and tends to get dirty quickly. I don't mind these things- it makes the palette look well-loved.

Value: This is slightly cheaper than most mainstream palettes given the number of shadows (16), but the overall weight included is slightly less. Also, due to the texture, you do go through these faster than you would with a harder shadow. You get a good range of neutral colors so if you're just starting out and experimenting, I think this is a great price for the number of shadows. It also comes with an eyelid primer, which works fantastically for dry skin. I get 12 hours out of my shadows with this primer and I'm just finishing the tube after 10 months of 3-4x weekly use.

Quality of shadows: The top row of mattes are extremely soft and buttery, blend nicely, and have full pigment. If you are a bit rough, these can kick up extra powder- so be careful and make sure to tap off any excess you pick up. Because they are so soft and powdery, you go through the base & transition shades quite quickly. With daily use, you could go through Taupe or Mauve in about 2-3 months.
The bottom row of shimmers is slightly less consistent. Overall they are smooth & buttery with the exception of Champagne, which is chunky and has a lot of fallout. Nude, Gold, Lt. Bronze, and Slate are all richly pigmented and smooth, and they show up true to color. Pewter, Garnet, and Deep Purple have a nice texture but are not as pigmented and don't show up true to color on the lid.

Overall: This is a great palette for beginners that want to upgrade and get a set of high quality, blendable neutrals. While it's not the most inspiring palette, it does contain some of my favorite matte shadows. If the darker shimmery shades were replaced with higher impact colors it would be so much more fun to use. The pans are shallow and easy to use up. It's very compact and good for travel, and I love the primer it comes with.